Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1G-GTE into RA23 Celica ***NEW IDEA*** instead ov 1j

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
eastie
Regular

February 2003
1G-GTE into RA23 Celica ***NEW IDEA*** instead ov 1j Sun, 23 February 2003 07:35 Go to next message
ok fellow toyota lovers, im soon gona be tryen to fit a 1j in a Ta22/23 celica, now if any one has dont this before, can you tell me what i need to do... so far ive worked out i will need to make a custom crossmember... yer thats all i got... anything eles... i ask my mates they hav no idea... i dont want to take it anywhere to get work done, ill do it my self labour is way 2 much...

any help wou8ld be appresiated... or should i just put a stupid rota in it, mayb 13bt.. my mates dad loves rotas, so he should know what to do, there also smaller so there will be less problems

[Updated on: Thu, 27 February 2003 02:53]

Send a private message to this user    
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Sun, 23 February 2003 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first bit of advice, dont attempt it into a ta22 put it into a a23 or a28, they have a bigger engine bay. and trust me you will need the room
eastie
Regular

February 2003
Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Sun, 23 February 2003 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok so ta 23 it is then... i didnt think there was much difference between to two models... oh well.. any advice for fitting a 1j in a ta 23.. keeping in mind im gona need a large ass intercooler... this things gona run sum boost... Very Happy
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Sun, 23 February 2003 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It will be much easier to put the rotor in it! If you do a 1j there will be waaay to much weight in front on the wheels which will make the thing handle like a shopping trolly!
eastie
Regular

February 2003
Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Sun, 23 February 2003 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer i was leaning more twards the 13bt... as there easier to come by/fit in/my mates dad owns 4 rotaz... so he will help...

but i havent see a 1j in a celica so it would be sumthing new... and keeping in mind this project car will be mostly a show car... dont know might even put it in autosalon see how it goes.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Sun, 23 February 2003 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want to do the 1j thing you will be best off getting an RA or TA23
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Sun, 23 February 2003 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
matt green had his 1j powered ra23 in the for sale thing recently - already done with the ABS digital dash and everything

wanted about 11 k for it .. have a seach back a few threads for it - its a nice celica ! ive seen it personally and would have liked it in my garage
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Sun, 23 February 2003 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is a page with one.

http://www.norbie.net/JZA23.htm

Thank norbie for hosting it.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Sun, 23 February 2003 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you cant put a 1j in a ta23 legally cause it only came out with a 1.6L, which restricts your to 2.4l forced induction

it has to be a RA23 cause they came out with the 2L,

i think benny had this problem
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Sun, 23 February 2003 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah you need the car to weigh in at over 1000kg's but thats in NSW, this guys in adelaide.. where tim frost can put a 13bturbo in his car whcih you can only put into a ra28 in NSW. so once again you better do some research into the legalities first.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Sun, 23 February 2003 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stupid restrictive nsw laws
eastie
Regular

February 2003
Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Mon, 24 February 2003 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanx fellaz, keep the help coming in... im looking into the legit side ov things, but i really want a 1j in there aint many ppl done it b4...

does matthew live in SA??? if so ill talk to him on how he done it.. bah ill email him anywayz...
Classique71 thanx but i really wanted to do it my self,l get the experiense under my belt, plus i haven got 11k...damn

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon3.gif  Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Mon, 24 February 2003 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll need to do more than a crossmember to put a 1JZ in...

The engine doesn't actually fit so you have to do some work to the firewall or radiator support.

It's not an easy swap.

I'm also surprised no one has brought up the handling issues.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Mon, 24 February 2003 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did Very Happy
eastie
Regular

February 2003
Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Tue, 25 February 2003 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
he'z got a poin he did... a shopping trolly, but im cool wit that coz i work at coles right so i handle trollies evryday. so this should be cool wit me... oh and guess wat u can get trollies reall sidewayz... muhahahahaha

yer i think i might get a 13bt, seems way easier, but i really want a 1j oz i wana put it in autosalon, now tell me who would rather see a 1j in a celica then a 13bt... eh! exactly, oh well
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Wed, 26 February 2003 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Am I the only one having problems understanding this guy? Rolling Eyes
trent_kershaw
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Wed, 26 February 2003 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing Apparently it's easier for some people to spell poorly(They claim it's faster too!).

His grammar is horrible too!

"he'z got a poin he did... " WTF!!!! Laughing

edit: poor spelling and grammar Laughing

[Updated on: Wed, 26 February 2003 02:12]

biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Wed, 26 February 2003 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not, I might add, that he's the only one... Razz
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Wed, 26 February 2003 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just a point
in cost of car and conversion, chances are excellent it'll cost you pretty much $11k if you do it yourself, possibly more, if you want one like matt's.

13b is a much more realistic option.
sure it's not as unique, etc etc, but it will be a lot easier,and much more practical
celicaboy_2000
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Wed, 26 February 2003 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One off my friends modified his TA22 with a 2JZGTE with a single turbo, oh boy my pants were wet after he took me fro a ride...
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Wed, 26 February 2003 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another thing, forget your dreams of putting it in auto salon, they don't like pre '85 cars.

Quote:

One off my friends modified his TA22 with a 2JZGTE with a single turbo, oh boy my pants were wet after he took me fro a ride...

So have you been in the car yet? Laughing
I think you've just had what is called a "wet dream".
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Wed, 26 February 2003 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2JZ in a TA22? Sounds like "stories" to me... Razz
celicaboy_2000
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Thu, 27 February 2003 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie, NOT A STORY! the car was registered as a 2.5ltr coz it had a 1J block and the rest was 2J, The radiator was placed in front off the original radiator support beam (which was removed) so there was plenty of room. I think the reason he went a single turbo is because of the twin turbo set up would of hit the Brake booster.
eastie
Regular

February 2003
Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica ***NEW IDEA*** Thu, 27 February 2003 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok new idea how does a 1G-GTE into RA23 Celica sound to uz??? ive got a ra 23 linned up, and im probably gona buy it so, a 1G-GTE would be a easier motor to transplant, now same questions as first asked but for the new conversion... Very Happy

thanx guys...
celicaboy_2000
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica ***NEW IDEA*** Thu, 27 February 2003 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would go for the Supercharged 1G (1GGZE) I use to own a RA23 with a 1GGZE and it would shit all over my mates RA60 Celica with a 1GGTE. All I had to do was modify the sump, engine mounts (Moved the motor back), Radiator (moved it forward, stuck fuel lines in and a pump and connect the wiring up to easy... I used a aftermarket computer it made the wiring look cleaner and also gave me more power...
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Thu, 27 February 2003 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celicaboy_2000 wrote on Thu, 27 February 2003 12:28

Norbie, NOT A STORY! the car was registered as a 2.5ltr coz it had a 1J block and the rest was 2J, The radiator was placed in front off the original radiator support beam (which was removed) so there was plenty of room. I think the reason he went a single turbo is because of the twin turbo set up would of hit the Brake booster.

Oh, so it's a 1JZ now? Rolling Eyes

I still find it hard to believe. A 1JZ just fits in an RA23, even after the radiator is moved. A TA22 engine bay is several inches shorter, so it's simply not going to happen without firewall mods. It's not legal either, even as a 2.5 litre engine.

Click here to see what a tight squeeze it is in an RA23 engine bay:
http://www.norbie.net/jza23/JZA23_engine2.jpg
http://www.norbie.net/jza23/JZA23_engine3.jpg
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Thu, 27 February 2003 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
was about to say.. even a 1jz isn't legal
one of my friends was telling me a "story" about a guy who was putting a 1jz into a sprinter... the story started changing as I told him about the laws regarding it Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Thu, 27 February 2003 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
come on norbie
there's at least enough room for a BOV in there Smile
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE into RA23 Celica ***NEW IDEA*** instead ov 1j Thu, 27 February 2003 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with the amount of 1G information this website provides it amazes me that people still ask these same freakin questions..

look in the tech articles and the tech docs!!!

http://www.toymods.org.au/tech.html

http://www.toymods.org.au/cgi-bin/photo/index.cgi? mode=view&album=/TechDocs

no wonder Grant and celicamad dont participate on here anymore..

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Thu, 27 February 2003 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celicaboy_2000 wrote on Wed, 26 February 2003 19:58

Nope sorry, I just don't buy it.
1 and 2JZ blocks are marked as such and the engine number contains the block type as the prefix. The scenario of running 2JZ innards in a 1JZ block can also be discounted - the 2JZ block is 23 mm taller than a 1JZ block for a multitude of reasons.

Anyway, you were saying..... Rolling Eyes

Rob, I agree with you. You'd think the 1GGTE is almost the only conversion done there is so much info (no slight intended to the 1GGTE guys) and yet the same rubbish pops up.
RA28midge
Regular

September 2002
Re: 1G-GTE into RA23 Celica ***NEW IDEA*** instead ov 1j Thu, 27 February 2003 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You say you live in Adelaide right?

You can't do squat for a legal engine conversion, here are these NSW people whinging and they have no idea how lucky they are, as I have said in the SA forum, even a 18RGU conversion for an RA28 isn't allowed, yes that is right. I had no chance getting a 1GGE approved, let alone a 1GGTE, or GZE. so unless you have a couple of grand laying around to blow on engineering and hiring out adelaide international raceway for someone else to thrash your car around on to test brakes and steering then start thinking about doing some overtime at coles.
Before you commit to anything do lots of research, call regency, call an engineer, call insurance company, talk to 4's and more in para hills then start counting your pennies.

sorry to burst the bubble fella
eastie
Regular

February 2003
Re: 1G-GTE into RA23 Celica ***NEW IDEA*** instead ov 1j Thu, 27 February 2003 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
na this is good, its sorta wat i wanted to know, eg what i can and cannot do... so thanx heaps, i was talkn' to a mechanic today he said he wasnt allowed to put a stock 13b in a ra28 but he was allowed to put in a 12a/12at in!!! didnt matter how modifyed it was, he also had a VL in the shead with a rb26dett, he didnt have to get that enginerd because the engine size didnt get any bigger, they went by well it was a 3L now its a 2.6L they had no problems even know itd twin turbo, and has a hell ov alot more power... i dont know anymore...

Norbie sorry, but i didnt know there was a tech section, ive only been on these forums 4 2-3 days, and was only posting... didnt mean no harm, also in the tech sections is only one person, i wanted to hear what evryone has to say about it...

thanx again people

...keep the critisim coming in...
celicaboy_2000
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Fri, 28 February 2003 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive seen this car Ok I dont give a shit if you dont believe me, the 2J fits into the TA22 bay, not sure how he did it but he did.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE into RA23 Celica ***NEW IDEA*** instead ov 1j Fri, 28 February 2003 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Must have been magic I guess!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica Fri, 28 February 2003 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celicaboy_2000 wrote on Fri, 28 February 2003 11:30

not sure how he did it but he did.

Read significant firewall modification. Unfortunately the rest doesn't add up.
Some gratuitous icons:
http://www.supraforums.com/images/smilies/bsflag.gifhttp://www.club3g.com/members/blackbird/smiles/bsmeter.gifhttp://www.supraforums.com/images/smilies/cockblockedsad.gif
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica ***NEW IDEA*** Fri, 28 February 2003 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celicaboy_2000 wrote on Thu, 27 February 2003 14:00

I would go for the Supercharged 1G (1GGZE) I use to own a RA23 with a 1GGZE and it would shit all over my mates RA60 Celica with a 1GGTE. All I had to do was modify the sump, engine mounts (Moved the motor back), Radiator (moved it forward, stuck fuel lines in and a pump and connect the wiring up to easy... I used a aftermarket computer it made the wiring look cleaner and also gave me more power...

I find this interesting.
Comparing engines based on different weight platforms. Very Happy
TurboCelica
Regular

August 2002
Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica ***NEW IDEA*** Fri, 28 February 2003 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have seen a 1jzgte in a TA22 here in melbourne. the conversion was ...... DOG ugly and super dodgy, the workshop that wired it(only) up made him sign a pile of paper saying that they cant be blaimed for his death and its been wired up for "educational" not road/race use hehe Laughing they were very woried, and when i looked upder the car so was I the steering to clear the engine was a joke the fire wall was ..... well yeah you can imagin, the whole job was a joke i cant belive anyone would do that and then think about driving the car... let alown with that power!

Also didn't toyota make a factory 1ggte RA# celica, i hear so much about them!, wish people looked in the tech sections there is heaps of info and even more on the net!

Regards
TurboCelica
Regular

August 2002
Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica ***NEW IDEA*** Fri, 28 February 2003 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh by the way last time i asked Tim his Car is not Engineered so dont go by others conversions, make sure (in writing some times) you know you are able to get the car passed when finished.

If i was spending huge $ on a conversion i would want it in writing that i can road rego it when finished otherwise you could do over $11K very easily
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica ***NEW IDEA*** Fri, 28 February 2003 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboCelica wrote on Fri, 28 February 2003 13:29

Also didn't toyota make a factory 1ggte RA# celica, i hear so much about them!,

Toyota built a Celica XX with a 1G-GEU (GA61), but that's actually what we call a Supra. Celicas have always had 4 cylinder engines, and Supras have always have 6 cylinder engines.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1jz-gte in a ta22/23 celica ***NEW IDEA*** Fri, 28 February 2003 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as a pointer, the "R" in "RAxx" means it has an r-series engine, so I can guarantee it never came out with a g-anything Smile

althought with the number of ig-gte modified RAxx celicas in the club, I'm sure some people wonder... Smile
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE into RA23 Celica ***NEW IDEA*** instead ov 1j Fri, 28 February 2003 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ummm norbie and draven i think turbocelica was joking with that factory 1G celica comment, he just needed to add some smileys..
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G-GTE into RA23 Celica ***NEW IDEA*** instead ov 1j Sun, 02 March 2003 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you end up picking up the car? wat did you think?
If i was you id leave the stock interior that would be a nice showpiece.. 1976 red vinyl throughout mmmm.. i so wanted those seats ..
If you want to be able to do a legal conversion a 12A turbo would be the smallest and easiest in my opinion for performance and if your dad has the experience, then even more help with problems and rebuilds. Also more likely to get legal with lower capacity,

BUT: if you had the money to do a 1JZ job anyhow on a dead stock ra23, why not go 1Ggte single turbo, stick with toyota motors cos they rule, and get it engineered with all the mods you plan on doing. My mate got his 13bt s2 rx7 engineered finally for about $1400 all up i think, and we never thought that thing would be legal.. ever. money can do anything if you have enough of the shit.. Sad

OR better still, go for the 3Sgte four banger, not many do this swap and its still 2 litre four cyl = probably easier to engineer than a 1G and would handle better, and still - pardon my french - would go like the f*cken clackers, with lots of future potential and hitech gizmos for you to setup like the 1j.

i think first tho, that car needs a full body restoration and respray, while its in such stock layout.

my uneducated 2 cents worth.
TurboCelica
Regular

August 2002
Re: 1G-GTE into RA23 Celica ***NEW IDEA*** instead ov 1j Sun, 02 March 2003 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah sorry being a smartie there is so many around and so many peopl talking about the conversion its almost more common than a 18r-c celica these days Smile

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: 1G-GTE into RA23 Celica ***NEW IDEA*** instead ov 1j Sun, 02 March 2003 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
blackRA28 wrote on Sun, 02 March 2003 18:41

OR better still, go for the 3Sgte four banger, not many do this swap and its still 2 litre four cyl = probably easier to engineer than a 1G and would handle better, and still - pardon my french - would go like the f*cken clackers, with lots of future potential and hitech gizmos for you to setup like the 1j.

The 3S-GTE conversion would also cost twice as much as a 1G conversion, with subsequent increases in time/effort.

There's a reason why not many people have done the swap.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1G-GTE into RA23 Celica ***NEW IDEA*** instead ov 1j Mon, 03 March 2003 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep
it's a beautiful engine, but very hard to set up for front engine rwd cars.
I had a look at most of these options for my celica
(then did the sensible thing and bought a supra Razz)
eastie
Regular

February 2003
Re: 1G-GTE into RA23 Celica ***NEW IDEA*** instead ov 1j Mon, 03 March 2003 22:23 Go to previous message
dude u took the words right outa my mouth... im goin the 1g-gte im pretty sure, just gota see what the government has to say about it... the whole idea with this car was to completly restore it... re do everything, im allready working on the interior with custom dash and center console... racing seats, full retrim, put the 1g in, install basicly a supra drive line or a Soarers, take the 1g out, get it resprayed, put the 1g back in, add some wheels, oh yer...

so to answer your question, yes i did pick it up... thanx man. when i hopped in to drive away, the car had no reverse... me thinks the diff is a lil broken, got me mate to push it back, lil smoky til we got to the petty station, was good after... gave it alot of shit to clean the engine out to... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Smoking GZE
Next Topic:1jz auto comp question.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:10:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0092411041259766 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.