Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Brake booster question Tue, 25 February 2003 08:01 Go to next message
Is it possible to turn the TA22 booster 90 degrees without causing any problems?
The reason i ask this is because I "think" I've found a master cylinder that will bolt on, but the problem is the master cyl has a vertical flange instead of the standard horizontal.
Any ideas?

Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Brake booster question Tue, 25 February 2003 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Geeezzzz good question,

I would guess that you would be better off getting a master cylinder to suit, without changing the booster.

I think you can rotate it though, as some boosters are mounted remotely in certain cars anyway.

I'd ask a brake place just to make sure though
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Brake booster question Tue, 25 February 2003 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was actually told by my brake man a while ago that there is a kit for the TA22 to have a remote booster! But the problem with this is I dont really have anywhere to put the booster!
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: Brake booster question Tue, 25 February 2003 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane
I used a tandem master cylinder of a early 80's corolla , I can't remember the model as it was about 10 years ago I did this , But it bolts straight on , You only have to do a bit of reshaping of the lines to screw in , This master cylinder has a smaller bore which increases pressure to the wheels , To further increase breaking power I also fitted RA40 struts , disks and calipers , The pistons & bore in the RA 40 are larger than the TA22 so this increases hydraulic pressure to the pads even more , On the rear I have 10' drums which is more than enough for the TA22 , I actually had to adjust the proportioning valve to reduce pressure to the rear as they were to severe .
And I still have a good high hard pedal .

Trevor
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Brake booster question Tue, 25 February 2003 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the master cylinder I have here is a tandem item but the flange is the problem! Its a 15/16 size unit! Its pretty much brand new so it looked a good choice and it also has the little fluid tank on top(exactly what I want)!
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: Brake booster question Tue, 25 February 2003 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the standard TA22 uses a 13/16 so fitting a larger 15/16 will decrease preasure to the wheels , The one I used is 3/4 .
And as you know the TA22 brakes are not very good so fitting that master cylinder will make them even worse.
And once you get that 3SGTE in and boosted up you are going to need all the brakes you can get ??
( Just trying to save you from running up the ass of a WRX or a dunnydoor )

Trevor

[Updated on: Tue, 25 February 2003 12:41]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Brake booster question Tue, 25 February 2003 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh ok. Its just that I hope to be doing a front brake conversion using the ST205 calipers and the ST205 has a 15/16 master cylinder so I though this would be best!
So would I be best finding a 3/4 master cylinder?
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: Brake booster question Tue, 25 February 2003 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I think you will find that the ST205 has a lot larger booster than the TA22 so the brakes would be OK on the 205 but with the TA22 having such a small booster the only way to get more pressure to the wheel cylinders is to decrease the master cylinder bore diameter .
A larger booster in the TA22 would be good but there ain't enough room .

Trevor
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Brake booster question Tue, 25 February 2003 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would having the smaller booster just mean you would just have to stomp on the brake pedal harder?
What happens in cars that dont have a booster?
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: Brake booster question Tue, 25 February 2003 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah having a smaller booster means you have to push on the pedal a lot harder .
You will find most cars that don't have boosters only have drum brakes and drum brakes will work with less pressure than disks .

Trevor
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Brake booster question Tue, 25 February 2003 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much harder would I have to push the pedal if I used the standard booster and the larger master?
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: Brake booster question Wed, 26 February 2003 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would say a fair bit more pedal pressure would be needed , To get an idea what sort of assistance the booster gives disconnect and plug the vac line to the booster and try the brakes .

Trevor
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Brake booster question Wed, 26 February 2003 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm ok. I'll leave it for now but I may just try it in the future.
I have big legs so a hard brake pedal shouldn't be too much of a problem! Give it that race car feel Very Happy I really want a master cylinder with the fluid tank on top, But i'll look into it some more later after I get the engine fitted!
I still have to figure out how or who i'm going to get to make the mounts and manifolds for me.
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: Brake booster question Thu, 13 March 2003 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ever thought of converting to an electronic booster system? i know very little about them and i'm not sure if the conversion is feasable if possible but might be good to do some research. Maybe someone here can help??
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Brake booster question Thu, 13 March 2003 06:59 Go to previous message
I was thinking abot doing a remote booster setup but I still cant think of any where to mount it Confused
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4agze in a mini?
Next Topic:What sound does a blown turbo make? :/
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 10:58:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051748752593994 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.