Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

What sound does a blown turbo make? :/ Sat, 08 March 2003 06:33 Go to next message
OK,

Last Thursday, I heard a unusual noise, turns out it sounds like and exhaust lkeak from at the manifold somewhere possibly. Today, Sat, I went to sydney on the freeway and drove the old pac back, (not fast had the girly in the car) and jumped back on the freeway at the end. Get off the freeway and go around a round-a-bout and put my fot down and as soon as it spools up i hear this weird wirring noise. If I pop it into neutral, give it a rev, it sounds like a much more higher pitched noise, probably cause its not under load.

I am too worried about driving it again to see if its running at full boost (5psi). I didn't think to check before.

Any ideas?

If anyone has been silly enough to do so, the sound of it when I free rev it sounds like when you hold a bearing and blow on it with a air hose... eh.

Regards,

Worried and concerned.
  Send a private message to this user    
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: What sound does a blown turbo make? :/ Sat, 08 March 2003 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont blow it with an airhose if u suspect its blown...if it is ull blow all the shit straight into the combustion chamber...also if sometimes they r blown the engine is blown...so ur case may not be too bad...grandfather blew up a pajero motor cos the turbo blew. throws everything into the combustion chamber which just mashes the head when the piston comes up...
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What sound does a blown turbo make? :/ Sat, 08 March 2003 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No I was saying that the sound of it when it is free revved sounds like when you have a lets say, a wheel bearing in your hand and get an air hose and blow it on the bearing, it spins real fats and makes a wooshing wirring type of noise...
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: What sound does a blown turbo make? :/ Sat, 08 March 2003 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah something not right there....i dont now that much about turbochargers but my advice is too pull it off and have it checked out...saves a potentially blown engine...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What sound does a blown turbo make? :/ Sat, 08 March 2003 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont turbos when they blow generally start dropping oil through the combustion and you'll see huge amounts of smoke billowing out the exhaust?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What sound does a blown turbo make? :/ Sat, 08 March 2003 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But funnily enough, Robbo's right, if in doubt, get it checked out.
ROBBO_ma61
Forums Junkie

December 2002
Re: What sound does a blown turbo make? :/ Sat, 08 March 2003 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
now now dont get too smart Evil or Very Mad
toycelica77
Regular

February 2003
Re: What sound does a blown turbo make? :/ Sat, 08 March 2003 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DEATH RATTLE!!...

its just about the only way to describe it Confused
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: What sound does a blown turbo make? :/ Sun, 09 March 2003 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey dan,

Just wondering, does it sound like a vacuum cleaner is in ur engine bay when ur on wot? my brother's turbo is making that kinda noise, but it's just been rebuilt.

good luck!
FLY PSI
Forums Junkie

September 2002
icon4.gif  Re: What sound does a blown turbo make? :/ Sun, 09 March 2003 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It sounds like the gasket between the headers and turbo is blown.
if that is the case then you can still drive it to get a newone.
also check that the turbo is tight on the manifold! Smile
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon4.gif  Re: What sound does a blown turbo make? :/ Sun, 09 March 2003 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's an unmistakable sound when the bearings go on the turbo... It sounds like something is scraping while spinning when you're on boost.

*shudder*
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What sound does a blown turbo make? :/ Wed, 12 March 2003 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Been researching on the net, is it possible that the BOV is making the sound?

http://www.supras.com/sogidb/index.php?jumpto=tech center&tech_jumpto=display_techtip&id=18

This page shows the upgrade procedure to the saab bov and mentions that they are prone to stuffing up.

When I revved it and the turbo started to spool up, it sounded like the noise was coming from the BOV. I didn't know what it was and thought nothing of it.

http://www.supras.com/sogidb/techcenter/images/9653bov.jpg

This is the Saab BOV in place of the Toyota one.
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What sound does a blown turbo make? :/ Wed, 12 March 2003 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well its not the BOV. Ruled that one out tonight.

It definently sounds like air escaping from somewhere. Is there anything I can look for that would prove this? Any visible signs at all? It only seems to be making the noise when the turbo is fully warmed up. I mean, I started the engine and let it idle for a while, got to norm operating temp and then drove it for about 1-2 mins then it started to make the noise.

Looks like im going to have to take the turbo off and get it sussed out otherwise, I really didnt want to do that Smile

How much play is there meant to be in the shafts? If I hold the inlet side, and move it up and down, not in and out, I can feel a little movement, but it doesn't seem to be scraping the houseing.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What sound does a blown turbo make? :/ Wed, 12 March 2003 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're getting an air-escaping noise, it's almost certainly a cracked/split inlet hose somewhere, not the turbo itself. A friend of mine had this happen on his 7M a couple of times; it made a huge whooshing noise whenever the turbo spooled up, and ran like a bucket of shite. The problem was impossible to see until we pulled all the inlet hoses off and found a split.
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What sound does a blown turbo make? :/ Wed, 12 March 2003 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was at Dan's yesterday and we can smell exhaust gas coming from the engine bay, i think its either the exhaust manifold gasket or the gasket where the turbo is bolted onto the headers... possible?

Dan #2
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What sound does a blown turbo make? :/ Thu, 13 March 2003 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As Dan said we could smell exhaust gasses, and the pipe that goes from the AFM/Air Box to the turbo is brand spanker. So it definently does not have any cracks? Is this the one you mean Norbie?

P.S. Thanks for the help so far peoples ! Smiley =
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What sound does a blown turbo make? :/ Thu, 13 March 2003 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, I mean the pipes after the turbo, as these will have positive pressure in them. A pre-turbo leak will cause problems but won't make a noise.

An exhaust leak is certainly a possibility, but should be easy enough to find if that's the case. Check all the bolts on the manifold, turbo, dump pipe etc.
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What sound does a blown turbo make? :/ Thu, 13 March 2003 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That does make sense, thanks Norbie, I will definently check that out tonight and let ya's know. So to clarify this, I am looking for cracks in the pipe from the turbo to the IC?

So does my description, as bad as it is Wink, sound like you friends problem? If thats all it is, then its a fairly easy fix yer? Just replacement of the hose? And I wasn't loosing boost, but it was surging like when under boost, like we could feel the car surginf in power. I uess thats the best way to descibe the feeling... Dan how would you say it felt?
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What sound does a blown turbo make? :/ Thu, 13 March 2003 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yes, the bracket that is bolted to the side of the block and the side of the turbo is loose, ie. the bolt isn't done up tight. I could move it with my fingers... Confused

One day I just feel like unbolting heaps of the shit in there, pulling it all off and putting it all back on with new bolts, nice and tight. Cool

[Updated on: Thu, 13 March 2003 01:53]

toycelica77
Regular

February 2003
Re: What sound does a blown turbo make? :/ Thu, 13 March 2003 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
put the engine in a pool, start, instant 'find-a-leak' Laughing
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What sound does a blown turbo make? :/ Thu, 13 March 2003 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Might give that a shot huh ! Shocked
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What sound does a blown turbo make? :/ Thu, 13 March 2003 06:18 Go to previous message
rvrolla wrote on Thu, 13 March 2003 11:52

One day I just feel like unbolting heaps of the shit in there, pulling it all off and putting it all back on with new bolts, nice and tight. Cool

Geez dude, if you've got loose shit in your engine bay you should have done this already! That's certainly where I'd start.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Brake booster question
Next Topic:AE86 front brake upgrade (stub axle Q)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 15:16:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0081198215484619 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.