Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » RA23 gear box making rattly noise. What could it be??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Blaze
Regular

December 2002
icon9.gif  RA23 gear box making rattly noise. What could it be?? Sun, 09 March 2003 08:15 Go to next message
Just took my newly aquired 77 ra23 for a drive to see my dad. Well after the 1200K round trip it has developed a rattle in or what I think is in the gear box. It is when you are eccelerating in a gear, (pushing the rev's) and the back off. It sounds like a rattling bearing or something.

I thought the oil levels might be low but when I went to check it throught the fill plug in the side it just pissed out everywhere. So it obviously was over full.(maybe for a reason).

So what is it and what can I do?? is the fixing price going to be as much as getting another box?

your thoughts??
thanks Sad
  Send a private message to this user    
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: RA23 gear box making rattly noise. What could it be?? Tue, 11 March 2003 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you sure it is not the diff??

The standard celica box's are pretty strong for gears 1-4. If the noise was only happening on reverse and 5, I would say that the splines on the lay shaft are stuffed (the shaft that 5th and R sit on).

Fixing depends on the problem. If it is bearings, it is probably cheaper to repair it. If it is structural and you can get a replacement, chuck it. Parts for them can get a little pricey.

Check in different gears and in neutral. Find out when it makes the noise. It sounds like it is more likely a diff noise.
Blaze
Regular

December 2002
Re: RA23 gear box making rattly noise. What could it be?? Tue, 11 March 2003 02:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the noise happens in 3rd 4th and sometimes fifth. It only happens went you back off the power and put strain on the box. it doesn't happen when you are coasting. i will have to investigate a bit more. Just thought someone might have had this problem before.

thanks
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA23 gear box making rattly noise. What could it be?? Tue, 11 March 2003 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The symptoms you describe could be bearings on the way out. I'd be hesitant to rebuild a W50 when you can pick them up so cheap these days; I bought one from the wreckers a couple of months ago for $150.
Blaze
Regular

December 2002
Re: RA23 gear box making rattly noise. What could it be?? Tue, 11 March 2003 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
should i get a W50 again, or go for something a bit younger. would one of the other W5# range slot straight in or would I need to modify. is there much advantage in putting in a different one.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA23 gear box making rattly noise. What could it be?? Tue, 11 March 2003 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A W57/58 has the advantage of being lighter and stronger, but this in itself isn't a good enough reason to upgrade IMO unless you really need the extra strength (eg turbo engine). You need to modify the gearbox crossmember and tailshaft to make this work.
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA23 gear box making rattly noise. What could it be?? Wed, 12 March 2003 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh my W50 used to make a quiet purr when sitting in neutral from the gearbox and would cease when i push in the clutch, is this most likely to be just a bearing in one of the shafts?

from everyones experience, what are the typical signs of a worn/aging w50?

Regular

December 2002
Re: RA23 gear box making rattly noise. What could it be?? Wed, 12 March 2003 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I might be wrong but that sounds like a throw out bearing?
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: RA23 gear box making rattly noise. What could it be?? Wed, 12 March 2003 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with Blaze, Thats if what he means by "throw out bearing" is the thrust bearing. An easy fix, just drop the gearbox off the back of the engine, unclip the bearing and replace.

One of the W50's I had chattered out the splines on the 5th gear lay shaft. It sounded like a bearing had shit itself. Turns out that this is a weak spot in the box as the spline only sits for half the length of the gear.

WARNING don't go cruising around in 5th at 60km/h. the money you save in fuel will cost you twofold in gearbox repairs. I usually don't use 5th until about 80km/h.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA23 gear box making rattly noise. What could it be?? Wed, 12 March 2003 23:30 Go to previous message
Hang on, there's a noise when the box is in neutral, and it disappears when the clutch is pushed in; that sounds more like it's coming from the box itself (input shaft bearing). If the symptoms were reversed, ie the noise happens when the clutch is pushed in, then I'd suspect the thrust bearing.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Ticking in reverse?
Next Topic:Diff Ratio Change In Ke70
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 15:22:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053670406341553 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.