Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » W50 into MKII Corona?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
W50 into MKII Corona? Mon, 10 March 2003 00:01 Go to next message
Hi all, well after a big weekend got the 5ME into the Corona. Was hoping to put the W50 box in (used to have a W40).

Gearbox xmember isn't interchangeable though between the w40 and 50, as the mounts are different..

Anyone know of a xmember that will bolt into the MKII corona and hold the w50?

Cheers
Joel
  Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: W50 into MKII Corona? Mon, 10 March 2003 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you sure you haven't overlooked something? I put a W50 straight into my Mk2 and changed nothing. It was a completely straight forward swap. I used the same X member, starter motor, Xmember rubber mount.
What appears to be different between the W40 and W50? Is it the gear stick position or the little rubber mount that bolts to the extension housing and the Xmember?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W50 into MKII Corona? Mon, 10 March 2003 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok here is a bit more detailed info on the problem.
This is just my experience, maybe there are different versions of all this....

The W40 gearbox mount has 2 bolts that go to each side of the gearbox..

The W50 has 4 bolts in a V shape pattern that bolts to the gearbox..

The W40 mount has 2 holes to hold it to the xmember

The W50 has 4 holes to hold it to the xmember.

So from those findings the original W40 xmember wasn't going to work as it only had 2 bolt holes, and also it was almost perfectly straight, whereas the W50 housing seems to be slightly longer (i'm guessing where the 5th gear is). Which means the xmember needs to be shaped more like a banana if it was to bolt to the original holes in the floor.

Also the W50 mount seems to sit a lot lower than the W40 mount which kinda wraps up around the side of the gearbox a bit more.

Hope this makes a bit more sense...

Cheers
Joel
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W50 into MKII Corona? Mon, 10 March 2003 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh also the gear stick comes up in the correct place with the w50, which is a good thing.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: W50 into MKII Corona? Mon, 10 March 2003 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK interesting....Both my Mk2 X members have 4 holes for the rubber mount. My Mk2s are an MX13 and an MX23. Is yours an MX10/22?
Also the rubber mount was a V shaped doover that partly 'wrapped around' the bottom of the extension housing as you described.

Maybe an MX13 Xmember is the go? I don't have a spare unfortunately, but I could easily source one for you if needed.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W50 into MKII Corona? Tue, 11 March 2003 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate i'm going to check out wreckers for another xmember from one of the Coronas you mentioned. Hopefully I can find one, if not I might take you up on that offer to source one.

Cheers and thanks for your help!

5ME started yesturday, first go!

Joel
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: W50 into MKII Corona? Wed, 12 March 2003 03:54 Go to previous message
The other thing I suggest you do is take your Xmember with you and compare to the 4 bolt holed MX13 one. My only other fear would be that there may be a subtle difference in the transmission tunnel between the MX10 and MX13. Check things like widths, particularly of the bolt holes that bolt the Xmember to the tunnel. I couldn't imagine Toyota doing something as shit as that, but stranger things have happened!

Good stuff with the 5M! Hope you can get going quickly.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:where can i get a roll cage?
Next Topic:Tyre size on a sprinter
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 14:13:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.003972053527832 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.