Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
rossvw
Occasional Poster

November 2002
w58 short shifter Tue, 11 March 2003 03:59 Go to next message
Hey, I am interested in trying to make a short shifter for my supra gearbox but dont want to cut up the stock stick.
Does anyone know of any suitable replacements readily available at a wreckers that could be made to fit, possibly by putting a plate between the shifer housing and box.

ta
  Send a private message to this user    
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: w58 short shifter Tue, 11 March 2003 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Everyone that seems to be modifying the w58 for short shifting is cutting the stick and weldingit back up!

on ebay they are going for about US$70

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ewItem&item=2406343497&category=33736

and one at

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ewItem&item=2406695035&category=33736

they are always there for sale.
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: w58 short shifter Tue, 11 March 2003 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What a crock, as if you'd pay for a chopped down shifter! You whole reason to choose the bodgy way is because it costs nothing!
I'm planning on making a (real) quickshifter for my W55 soon, so last time I was at pick & payless I picked up a spare shiter, so I can get it chopped & lengthened while I can still use my gearbox. I had one made for my T50 & it was unreal.
A real quickshifter is so much more effective that a chopped shifter.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon5.gif  Re: w58 short shifter Tue, 11 March 2003 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where you getting it done dude?

I'm interested in getting one done.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: w58 short shifter Tue, 11 March 2003 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Me too Smile
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: w58 short shifter Tue, 11 March 2003 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm gonna get a dude at work to make up the raise plate for me in his spare time, only because he has the time & access to a plenty of machines & help. The stick I'll prepare for welding & then find someone to weld it for me.
I'll see how easily this guy can do it & if he can do more.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: w58 short shifter Tue, 11 March 2003 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That'd be sweet dude!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: w58 short shifter Tue, 11 March 2003 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How hard would it be just to get a new "stick" made? The dude that shortened my diff has a lathe and could possibly turn one up!
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: w58 short shifter Tue, 11 March 2003 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah those aren't really short shifters, they havent even decreased the throw, they just cut a few inches off the stick.

What is really involved in creating a short shifter?

I think there is a guy in the states on the MKII Supra list who has legit short shifters for a w58 but cost $$$$$$$, US ones at that!
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: w58 short shifter Tue, 11 March 2003 08:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The idea behind a quick-shifter is to raise the pivot point of the shifter. This is done by raising the shifter housing 10mm or so with the use of a spacer plate. The shifter has to be lengthened 10mm below the pivot point so it will still reach down far enough. Hope that makes sense... it's easy when you see pics of it.
sam_
Regular

December 2002

Re: w58 short shifter Tue, 11 March 2003 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, I've read a few posts on this site saying bad things about Mr Dellows, but I believe he also sells a short shift kit for the W58. Not sure how much. I'm thinking I will get a dellows bellhousing at some point in time, as there doesnt seem to be many other options. Sam
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon13.gif  Re: w58 short shifter Tue, 11 March 2003 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dellow are lacking in customer service at the best of times, but the last (and only) time I called them to ask about the W58 short shifter kit, they said that one didn't exist.
Meh, not my problem if they don't want to sell any.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: w58 short shifter Tue, 11 March 2003 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Finally found it!

This was designed by Jim King off the MKII supra list. Retains stock shifter height but is a proper short throw shifter, not a cut rod!

However, it is priced at a mere US$289. (AU$472 before shipping)

Any takers to design a new one here? Norbie, there is a pic there that you can point out what you are talking about!

http://www.suprasport.com/suprasport/catalog/produ ct_info.php/cPath/31/products_id/204

[Updated on: Tue, 11 March 2003 09:28]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: w58 short shifter Tue, 11 March 2003 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, Mr. Dellows DOES do one, I think it's around $200. But must I get worked up on the 'topic' of Mr. Dellows and his Dellhousings again?
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: w58 short shifter Tue, 11 March 2003 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do please, fire up! Laughing
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: w58 short shifter Tue, 11 March 2003 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugger, bloody US army seems to have cleaned me all out on my weapons of mass destruction, it's gonna have to wait till I can purchase some more from the former Soviet Union... I just don't feel I'll be able to get my point across effectively otherwise...
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: w58 short shifter Tue, 11 March 2003 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is what I had made up for my T50, & I'll do pretty much the same thing for my W55.

http://members.optushome.com.au/big.worm/DSC00017.JPG
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: w58 short shifter Wed, 12 March 2003 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How thick is that block 20mm or 25mm?

And wont adding that block make it 20mm higher at the gear knob?

or do u shorten the top of the rod by as much as the spacer plate height, then add the extra at the bottom?

[Updated on: Wed, 12 March 2003 00:32]

BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: w58 short shifter Wed, 12 March 2003 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The block's 20mm thick, & yeah it does mean the whole thing sits up 20mm higher but it's not very noticable. My gearknow allows me to adjust it up & down about 2-3cm anyway, so with that all the way down it would have compensated for the extra 20mm (if it wasn't adjusted down before hand).
Anyway, you wouldn't notice an extra 20mil in height, you'd be too busy getting used to & enjoying the hugely shorter shift!
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: w58 short shifter Wed, 12 March 2003 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe not in a celica

but we are talking the truck sized gearstick of a w58 in a supra!!!

2cm more and it would feel like a column shift!
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: w58 short shifter Wed, 12 March 2003 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cutting a bit off the top of the stick & tapping a bit more thread wouldn't be too hard.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: w58 short shifter Wed, 12 March 2003 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i know my next mod now Smile
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: w58 short shifter Wed, 12 March 2003 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Saw the gearstick just below the threated part and save that part for later. Then saw again something like 30mm off the stick. You cant take it much shorter because the stick starts to widen. Now weld the threaded part back and file the welder lumps and crap off. Dont ruin threads. Then just put gearstick knob back. If you did everything right the joint should sit inside of knob. No need for making more thread. Takes 10mins.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: w58 short shifter Wed, 12 March 2003 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can always take the stick out, warm it up with the oxy, pull the thick half off of the bottom, then weld a piece of bar on what's left to whatever height you want. Thing is, with a quick shifter, having a long stick isn't altogether bad, in fact it can be really good, nice and close to the wheel.
Cosmo
Occasional Poster

September 2002
Re: w58 short shifter Thu, 13 March 2003 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I went the oxy route with mine. Pulled the whole thing out, heated up the fat bit with the oxy and the rubber dampener softens enough to pull the large chrome upper section off. Then all you need to do is buy a 30-40 dollar aftermarket gear knob(they use 3+ screws that tighten on the stick) and put that straight on the top of the short steel rod thats left(only about 10mm diameter) tighten up the screws and your away.
I removed the stock leather boot that mine had around it and stayed with the black rubber boot that looks good, and has a flush finish with the base of the knob. Heaps shorter, takes less effort than a proper kit(or money) and i reckon it looks great.
Just my 2cents worth
Cosmo
Occasional Poster

September 2002
Re: w58 short shifter Thu, 13 March 2003 05:07 Go to previous message
Forgot to say that now i can even see the display for my stereo!!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE86 front brake upgrade (stub axle Q)
Next Topic:what to do to the solexe's??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 08:23:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060591697692871 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.