Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » where can i get a roll cage?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
where can i get a roll cage? Tue, 11 March 2003 09:37 Go to next message
Anyone know where i can fit a 4 point into my AE86? and how much am i looking at? Sydney based area....
  Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: where can i get a roll cage? Tue, 11 March 2003 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ring your CAMS Sydney office. They will provide you with a list of CAMS accredited roll cage constructors.
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: where can i get a roll cage? Wed, 12 March 2003 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where can i get in contact?? and what does CAMS stand for? is it a specific spec for cars on the road and track? thanks !
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: where can i get a roll cage? Wed, 12 March 2003 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CAMS is the Confederation of Australian Motor Sport....look them up in the yellow pages or something like that - depends what state you are in as to contact numbers, they would have an office as well that should be advertised in one of those big phone number books Smile
Also you can only have a half cage in a road car by law, you aren't allowed to have a full roll cage and I think you'll need to get an engineers certificate as well, there are alot of legalities involved in roll cages because of the change to road accident dynamics that they cause. ie - stiffer front end, crumple zones to absorb impact, and also in higher speed accidents things like hitting your head on them (a la cody crocker in new zealand, even with a helmet on he was knocked out) are a big concern.

Also the governing body of australia are wankers about it.

Believe it or not, there are actually no real "specific" places for having road and track cars, you are generally supposed to keep the two separate. You have to find the middle ground between CAMS and the RTA which is very limited.

Whatever you do, please don't get you car registered as a dedicated rally car so that you have more freedoms in relation to things like cages etc and then drive it around the street as well regularly. This creates a real pain in the arse for the actual rally car owners who are always getting blamed for hooning around in their rally cars when we are really only allowed to drive them to and from events and places of repair.

that and they are planning to crack down on this problem as well so you may get busted.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: where can i get a roll cage? Wed, 12 March 2003 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you go to the CAMS website, you will find an appropriate contact number.
You'll be surprised what you can be allowed to do with a cage and for it to still be 'street legal'. The 'only a half cage is legal' dogma is not entirely true. The certified roll cage engineers will be familiar with the exact laws in your state. In Victoria, there are strict guidelines which dictate 'street legal' cages, and absolutely nowhere does it say 'only a half cage is legal'. In fact, A pillar bars are permissible, and even side intrusion bars, provided they are within their strict guidelines. These guidelines are on the Vicroads website. Obviously they are not applicable in NSW.
Anyway, call CAMS and talk to some whose job it is to actually make and sign off on cages.
Cheers Dave.
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: where can i get a roll cage? Wed, 12 March 2003 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
awesome guys,

I spoke with an experienced mechanic involved in this field today and he said that it is a very iffy modification, and there is lots of holes in the rulebook to get around. - if u do it the right way, it is legal. He also mentioned side intrusion bars are street-illegal due to accident factors.

Very interesting, but i think if the state laws had a deeper and broader perspective, they could actually view the 'roll-cage' as being something useful and something that can protect you in an accident! - i certainly found that out today!

anyway, do u guys have any idea on how much they could cost? and what kind of materials are offered?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: where can i get a roll cage? Wed, 12 March 2003 05:00 Go to previous message
A basic 6 point mild steel bolt in cage with one diagonal will cost about $1000.
Accreditable materials are mild steel, chromium molybdenum steel, or chrome manganese steel. You can get an aluminium cage made, but you won't be able to get it CAMS accredited if that would ever be your intention.

[Updated on: Wed, 12 March 2003 05:07]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Front strut tower brace from an AE92 onto '99 RAV4
Next Topic:W50 into MKII Corona?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 14:42:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053319931030273 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.