Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J????

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Loosecannon
Regular

May 2002
icon10.gif   Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Mon, 17 March 2003 08:48 Go to next message
Hi Guys
I'm looking at changing the boost controller I have on my boat, I have the turbosmart "T" gated mechanical boost controller now, But I would like to change it to one that has duel settings ( high and Low) and one that I can put in the cockpit of the boat too. I know Turbosmart have theses types, can anyone give me some feedback on them?, and what other ones are around?

Also I want to put a Fuel cut defender on it too, can anyone give me some feedback on theses as well, and how much they sell for?

Thanks in advance
Dave

[Updated on: Mon, 17 March 2003 08:53]

Send a private message to this user    
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Mon, 17 March 2003 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dave im currently finishing off a boost controller that ive been working on for 6 months it works much better than the gated turbosmart (they actually leak) .

Grant and Andrew have both been in my wifes Cressida and seen the results of the earlier versions and the latest one brings boost on even faster .

If you want to come for a run up(near Maitland) .i can show you the difference i can even fit your existing controller to the cressida and let you feel the difference .

The system i use holds the wastegate DEAD SHUT until full boost and the boost response is MUCH faster than factory

check out the acceleration curve and this is in a Cressida weighing 1650kg with me in it

http://home.kooee.com.au/celicamad/Picture_0283.jpg

email me if your keen celicamad@hotmail.com

i forgot to add my new boost controller has an elecronic fuel controller(built in) than can lean mixtures off to around 12:1 and eliminates the boost cut

[Updated on: Mon, 17 March 2003 13:27]

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Tue, 18 March 2003 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Celicamad,

Are you using a regulator type valve??

I am really interested in what you have done as I am planning a valve type controller with a controller to switch it on and control extra fuel.

Is this a system that you would consider manufacturing a small batch of kits for?????? It sure sounds a lot better than a crappy bleed valve.
hobbs
Regular

October 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Tue, 18 March 2003 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Celicamad-
i'm interested in hearing about this as well as i was considering getting a turbosmart but was worried about leaking etc.
any details would be great,
thanks
hobbs
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Tue, 18 March 2003 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
using JUST a regulator will do exactly that just regulate boost .It wont control wastegate creep .

my system uses a normally closed modified pressure relief valve .The problem with almost all pressure relief valves is they begin to open at lower boost (just like a wastegate ) the turbosmart system(gated) uses the exact same design .

But with this type of design you will find that say boost is set 15 psi then the valve will begin to leak at around 8or 9 psi .Its simply a ball bearing in a seat acting against a spring ,In fact it works identically to a wastegate .This idea will bring the boost on slighlty faster than factory but not as fast as having the wastegate fully shut

then you have the problem of partially locking the wastegate open .with a pressure relief valve you effectivley plumb your blow off valve out of the wastegate pressure line

So if you shift gears fast pressurised air is trapped between the pressure relief valve and the wastegate holding it partially open .this means next time you try to come on boost the boost is MUCH slower to respond

My system uses a modified pressure relief valve that has a two way open function when a vacuum is sensed .sounds complicated but what happens is this

1.you have variable max boost control to within 0.5 of a psi (in all gears).
Thats right if you set it to 15 you get 15 in 1st to 6th gear regardless of load.(this is awesome if you want to run close to your boost cut in all gears

2 adjustable wastegate control .you can adjust the boost to come on as hard and as fast as is possible or slower or even stock .(on max setting the wastegate is DEAD SHUT until full boost .or you can even dial in a small 1 sec overboost)

3 when you come off the throttle and your blow off opens all valves open and the entire pressure line goes back to vacuum .This actually help to bring the boost on as fast as possible the next time you came on boost .
this valve is like a cross between a blow off valve and regulator .

i actually had to get the valve manufacturer to modify the valve to work this way .

i have organised a bulk manufacture price and they have agreed to make the valves exclusivley for me .and the manufacturer have actually made me an offer to purchase the design (obviuosly i only showed them 1/2 the design )

Its not rocket science its just an idea ive been playing with for 6 months and about 10 valves later it works PERFECT ...better than id hoped ( to be honest i fluked it a bit )i didnt expect to be able to control boost so well

This is the only boost system ive ever seen that uses manifold pressure to control wastegate creep

so in short ( its rare for me to be short i know!!!)

with the wastegate control set to normal boost response my wifes creessida does 0-100 in 5.3 secs .

with the wastegate control set to max boost response it does 4.8 secs 0-100 kph

a local stop sign goes across two lanes flat then straight into a 150 m 45 degree hill

with the wastegate control set to normal boost response the car is dull to the bottom of the hill then hits boost about 5 metres up the hill and pulls to 80 kph about half way up the hill

with it set to max the car launches to half way across the double lanes hits full boost just before the bottom of the hill and smokes it half way up the hill!!!!. i have to use 1/2 throttle to control wheelspin and can get to 100 kph by the same mark

enough said .im going to get video footage of this and put it on my webpage

And yes they will be avialable very soon .the big hold up is getting insurance in case some dick blows his car up with too much boost and tries to blame me for it and sue me .this will take a few weeks

for those who cant wait i can send a disclaimer for you to sign then you can have immediatley .And because insurance is so expensive they will be cheaper before i get the insurance

Gold 28
if i where you i would get on to autospeed they have a few articles on how to make a electronic extra injector controller.these are tried and tested .

this system is specifically designed for boost control only .

[Updated on: Tue, 18 March 2003 08:52]

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Wed, 19 March 2003 20:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So what sort of price will you be looking at for the full kit????
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Thu, 20 March 2003 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm keen too... been looking at boost controllers for a while, and this sounds just the go.

what sort of control is it? in-dash digital?

pm me with an approx price too

cheers,
Greg

Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Thu, 20 March 2003 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I too am waiting for this setup to become available.
I have seen it in the flesh though, and seen it work in more than one car.
Paul's (Celicamad) claims are correct it is way better than even my HKS EVC4.
Comparo Dyno charts should be available soon so we can actually SEE the difference.

Matt

7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Thu, 20 March 2003 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont know a hell of alot about boost controllers, can this unit that celicamad has made be safely put straight onto my stock 7m?
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Thu, 20 March 2003 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no its actually an underbonnet dual valve control setup

im trying a few different regulator valves at the moment(to keep cost down) but so far its looking at selling for $350

But wait till you see the dyno slips im going to ask yojimbo to do an unbiased comparison

but anyone that wants to drive to Newcastle can try before they buy

This boost cotroller will work on ANY turbo car.So YEAH it will work on 7mgte .the only thing that requires some testing for individual vechiles is the boost cut fuel controller

The boost control will require some setting up but if you follow a few simple instructions .you could do it easily yourself

[Updated on: Thu, 20 March 2003 11:08]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Thu, 20 March 2003 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll be in the "try before you buy" group, simply because I need to get up there soon.

will just have to see how much my little bit of bodywork is going to cost me, and see how much I ahve left for that boost controller.... although the appeal of an in-dash controller is big (even if it's just a dual-option switch)
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Thu, 20 March 2003 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can actually make an in cabin controll system .But NOTHING comes on boost as fast as my new system

the in cabin controller i make now i have used for 12 months .
a few tuners have told me they ar edead against dual systems as many ecus tune to a given consistent pressure than WHAMMO you add 5 psi and the system usully runs full rich to compensate.

running high boost for a period of time .the computer will begin to lean mixtures out a little once it settles in

i have actually proven this with stock 1j and watched people do it at dyno comps as well they stick in more boost in hope of a big number and get a lower figure than they usually get and walk away wondering why .

i ran 1.2 bar and lost power (from 1 bar)but after 10 runs or so power came back better than even weired but true
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Thu, 20 March 2003 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah
the idea would be, minimum boost (7psi or whatever) for getting to and from work, and crank it up for other times.

plus I'm putting a microtech in, so I could tune 2 different curves for each of the modes, and just switch the microtech mode when I flick the boost switch
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Thu, 20 March 2003 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
far better than a switch. i can give a turn dial that lets you controll anywhere in between for hot or cold days .

a 1/2 turn can give you 5 psi and you can still have a flick switch to isolate it but also be able to use in cabin .

so you can have the switch set to say 15 psi and have a pot next to that that allows you to modify the boost at any time

total cost with switch $250

but your 0-100 time will not be as good as my latest system .

why not just tune the car to run as well as possible at a reliable boost setting .for all the stuffing around you really gain very little by using less boost and you dont risk detonation under different load and temp condditons when your switching boost all the time

thats part of the secret to keeping my wifes cressida so consistently quick i dont fiddle with the boost .ai set the boost at a high but safe level. i eliminate detonation under ALL load and temp conditions to make sure max power is achieved.

REMEMBER an engine running even close to detonation will make less power than one thats not

[Updated on: Thu, 20 March 2003 11:22]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Fri, 21 March 2003 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why wouldn't you just get the newest system celicamad is talking about, set the boost to a higher number for more power and don't hit boost when you are driving to work etc. In my car at the moment i barely ever hit boost when i am just going places. No need really?

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Fri, 21 March 2003 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah but I have to wear steel cap shoes for work and they are quite heavy. Sometimes it's hard not to drop them on the accelerator Evil or Very Mad
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Fri, 21 March 2003 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually thats the best part about this system .i simply set the wastegate control to max boost response .and set my boost to 16 psi

before with 16 psi boost at 1/4 throttle boost would come on slow to about 10 psi then shift to second

with the wastegate control set to max .you can simply lean on throttle an pull 12 psi almost instantly .

once you get used to the boost coming on twice as fast the car is much nicer to drive .

My wife says that now the car feels a lot more responsive .LESS LIKE A TURBO CAR .

But if you give it half throttle it picks up twice as fast as a stock system with full throttle .

after driving it alone the other day she need to accelerate quickly to get from a 60 kph joining lane into a 100 kph .

she gave it half throttle and it picked up so quick she was on the brakes to avoid hitting the car some 100m in front (before she hit it).

now she is used to it she loves it and only needs to use 1/4 throttle

so instead of having to put so much pedal to it at say 45 kph you can lean the throttle into it and not drop back to 1st gear .use the torque and the bottom end of second

this picks up just as quick (maybe slighlty quicker) than punching it .and the car accelerates smoothly and cleanly and doesnt even sound like your trying .

ANYONE thats driven a 1j in the wet will tell you that you dont try too hard to race anything or youll go no where .

driving it as i have descibed above means you can accelerate quite quick and quite fast without wheelspin

but when you open it up ...well the 0-100 times speak for themselves
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Sat, 22 March 2003 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when do you expect it to be ready and available? (or are you just waiting for insurance?)
soon as my ecu is in I'm itching for more boost
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Sat, 22 March 2003 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive been trying a few different regulators trying to keep the cost down .

but unfortunatley you get what you pay for .the original and BEST custom made unit KILLS them all .

So FINAL cost will be $390

i have found a way around insurance and will have a NEWCASTLE
based distributer organised in 1 week

just another point if you ONLY want stable boost control .and the variable boost response is not important .

this system would only cost $200 .But will still be a gated type system .so boost will come on faster than stock but nothing like the variable system .

In fact the only thing better about this system and a turbosmart is that exact boost is achieved in all gears
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Sat, 22 March 2003 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what's the diff between stable boost and variable boost, exactly?
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Sat, 22 March 2003 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One is constantly adjustable, the other one is just set to a certain value (unless you go digging under the bonnet) ?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Sat, 22 March 2003 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but the variable system comes on boost faster? (looking at celicamad's post)
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Sat, 22 March 2003 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How would this work with an auto???
Any problems?
Also does it get any boost spike?
I got a turbo smart and it does get some shitload of boost spike.
Set at 7psi at the moment but it spikes to 10. I hate it.
How much for shipping to brisbane??

Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Sat, 22 March 2003 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The adjustable aspect Paul is talking about is not the ability to adjust boost levels from inside the cabin (though he can build such a system - an old design without any of the new discoveries), but the ability to adjust the rate at which boost comes on. WITH this valve in place the boost RATE can be adjusted from lazy to insane wheelspinning fury. Beleive it or not, not everyone is after the fastest boost response, a couple of cars this is designed for have severe on boost traction problems derived from the severity of stock boost delivery. The valve will allow then to reach full boost at an adjustable boost curve - something a little flatter than b4.

That said - I am getting it for the insane wheelspinning fury !!

So with the valve = adjustable boost delivery --> early spoolup + perfect peak control

No valve = just perfect peak boost control

I have ordered mine and will be able to verify all this soon. Sydney Guys are welcome to come round and we can test drive back to back my HKS EVC Vs the valve system to see what you think.

Matt

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Sat, 22 March 2003 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds great matt!
give me a bell when you plan on doing that, I'd love to feel the difference
although I plan on buying the variable one anyhow Smile
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Sat, 22 March 2003 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx matt thats putting it a liitle more straight forward

ok to avoid confusuion i'll simplify as much as possible

* you have two underbonet adjustable valves

1 is used to adjust peak boost( eg 15 psi)and hold it steady in all gears (many system will make 2 0r 3 psi more in higher gears)

2 is used to adjust how fast boost comes on

valve 2 at its lowest setting will alow boost to come on the same as normal

at its highest setting boost will come on all at once in a huge rush .AS FAST AS THE TURBO CAN MAKE IT

its like pulling off the wasteagte hose

so in matts case hell set the 2nd valve to FULL RUSH boost

in fact thats how my wife even likes her car set
twinturbo1uz
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Sun, 23 March 2003 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey that is an excellent system .before fitting my bigger turbos with external wastegate i had twin high flowed CT26 turbos and thet suffered badly from wastegate creep .this would have been awesome for me .

i tried turbosmart dual stage but boost was almost 3 psi higher in higher gears .

CAN i buy just the regulator as wasgate creep is not an issue with TWIN stanek 60 mm wastegates

BUT anyone with internal wastegate would be crazy not to get this
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Sun, 23 March 2003 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey twinturbo1uz,

That sounds like a pretty solid engine you've got there. What is it fitted to??

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Mon, 24 March 2003 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much does the turbosmart dual stage go for (as a comparison) ?
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Mon, 24 March 2003 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
turbosamrt dual stage was $280 at rampage in newcastle

if you must have in cabin boost control .then i can sell you one but boost response relies on SHORT lenghts of tubing .it will work just not quite as fast

same price . if you MUST get a turbosmart buy the basic gated $99 t system this works the same as dual stage without the wanky usless high boost setting

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Mon, 24 March 2003 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was just interested in a comparison... my current plan is to buy the standard one you're making... I'm not desperate for in-cabin boost control
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Tue, 25 March 2003 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fair enough i will have a completed setup for yojimbo by the weekend .

So he should have it on his car in about 2 weeks .

you can meet up in sydney and you WILL love it , keep making excuses to drive my wifes car.

JUST testing the new valve!!
do we need bread??
MILK??
i feel like icecream
heheheee

10 more units will be complete in about 4- 5weeks .so email me to organise deposit anyone that cant wait

next 10 4-5 weeks after that .sorry but i have a minimum order of 10 and it takes 4-5 weeks to get them
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Tue, 25 March 2003 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
after revising the cost of a new wiring loom, engineering, rego, and insurance (all due in a few weeks) I'll have to put my order on hold for a little while Sad
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Thu, 27 March 2003 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats cool gives me time to get organsised .

Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Thu, 27 March 2003 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So how does it hook up?
I have an existing turbo smart under bonnet manual controller.
Will it just swap over without any change of line or does it need extra?
What is the price of the kit with frieght to brisbane???
Brett.

Also if my turbo spools at abput 2700rpm what would this controler make it spool at?

[Updated on: Thu, 27 March 2003 16:01]

celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Fri, 28 March 2003 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Price includes postage $390( i was assuming most will need this)

It is impossible to determine what difference the turbo will begin to spool up at it will depend on the engine at hand .

and how much wastegate creep you already get

the only way to tell is to remove the hose on the compressor side of your boost controller and block it .drive the car(VERY CAREFULLY) and watch your boost rememeber to back off or you will go to ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM boost .

however much faster boost responds is exactly how the controller will work

all you need to do is dissconnect the turbosmart and reconnect the new unit .depending on room you may need to lengthen hoses

as the controller box is 12 by 6 by 7 cm

email me if your keen celicamad@hotmail.com

Milhouse
Regular

February 2003
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Sat, 29 March 2003 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Celicamad,

How does your boost controller lean out the A/F ratio and eliminate the boost cut? Do you have to wire it into the computer?
Are you taking orders at the moment or do we have to wait until you get ten more deposits for the next batch?
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Sun, 30 March 2003 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the unit has an electronic map sensor control .that can be wired into the map sensor it modifies the output siganl of the map sensor .enough to remove boost cut and will slightly shift map position .

This is free with the controller and has proven to work well on a 1jzgte .Its a similar idea to a zener diode without changes being quite so harsh to the map signal .

yes i am taking orders now just delivery is two to three weeks
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Sun, 30 March 2003 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CM,

The way you've described the FCD operation (and I know where talking J's) it sounds like it may not work with a 7mgte?

Stockade Hill eh? Fark, what won't wheelspin up that? Smile

Did ya sell that old guy the lounge on saturday? Bloody kids stealin the sale tags......
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Sun, 30 March 2003 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
didnt see you in the shop
Laughing Laughing

and yeah he bought it .wasnt you that pinched the tag was it ????

yes i have no doubt that the fcd may not work on all engines.
ones that use a boost pressure signal back to the ecu can be modified pneumatically .

thats the main reason for giving it away .however it does work well on all map sensed cars that i have tried. i have not tried a 7mgte .

actually you gave me the idea .when you said that a zener diode would shift the entire map i was disaapointed .i asked a mate thats into electronics and he found a way to shift the whole map slightly .
but keep the whole thing stable and not be so harsh as the zener diode .

its nothing too fancy but it sure works well on the 1j

.P.s check out my footprints on stockade hill you cant miss em they start half way across and go up to the church corner

actually i barely used to even chirp going up before

jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Sun, 30 March 2003 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, sure, I spend every saturday morning stealing sale tickets of lounges in furniture shops.

Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Sun, 06 April 2003 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well the results are in on Celicamads Boost controller.

I went out to visit yesterday and took the 3 minutes required to fit this unit.

Even on the hot afternnon that it was, the difference was VERY noticable !! Incredible in fact.

Keep in mind I normally use a recent model HKS EVC to controll boost. This is the same unit as used by most decent Jap drag and circuit cars including the Jun (street/circuit) Supra.

Boost is made noticably earlier and brought on much faster. The needle of the gauge really leaps around the gauge when b4 the boost was built up gradually.

I am certain this unit will improve my 0-100 times.

Only problem is even more wheelspin off the line , I'll have to learn to launch all over again.

On a rolling start against SYC01J (Andy Linton) the first couple of runs I pulled hard away from him early in every gear before holding this advantage untill the next gearchange. (remember Andy pulled 211? I think at the last dyno day to my 182 rwkw!! the difference between our cars was exagerated by heat on that day, but he is usually at lest 10 rwkw ahead).

After a while heatsoak go the better of me and Andy was keeping up - and then finally pulling away in the top end ( he is also running 19 psi + vs my 15 psi.. His car is much better set up to deal with heat - he has HUGE spearco intercooler and watersprays Vs my stock cooler.

The point is though, that even a big cooler and 19psi will not beat this system @15 psi on all but the hottest days. When I do those mods as well (soon) i would be looking at 4 second 0-100's in my 1800 kg (with me and stezza)lead bullet.

0-100 and straight line racing is Still very much about torque and delivery of power, Peak HP will only get you so far, after that wheelspin takes over and you lose.

Any other questions about my observations please post up.

I too was sceptical - afterall i already have a $600 (second hand price) electronic controller.

But after Sunday - I have placed my order.

Matt

celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Tue, 08 April 2003 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx matt .

A few people have emailed me and are a little confused by the whole setup the easiest way to explain it was just said by matt .

the boost gauge flicks IMMEDIATLEY around to full boost Shocked

on a stock 1j the needle builds to full boost in second over about 2 seconds .

but with before and after testing the boost was still MUCH faster to come on than the HKS

as matt said this system is MORE effective on cooler days but was still good enough to add a full car length or even more to a run against a car that they where normally level peg

ON single turbo cars the gains are actually greater (as lengths of tubing are MUCH shorter .This allows boost to come on even faster). an Rb20 nissan was a full second faster 0-100 .

he came over to do a (try before you buy..as anyone is also welcome to do).and didnt bring the cash ,he was so impressed he didnt want to take it off the car and left a $2,000 stereo as as security

needles to say i was a little disapointed when he came back the next morning with the cash . Sad
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Thu, 10 April 2003 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matt,

You talk about racing against Andrew from a rolling start after the controller was fitted.

Did you do it before it was fitted? What was the result then?

Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Thu, 10 April 2003 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I beat him. As usual Very Happy .

Since he went manual he hasnt beaten me off the line unless i really stuff up. I usually get at least 1/2 a car length in 1st gear. My launches were far from good as I need practive with the new pwer delivery from the controllr, it is only a little different but you know how hard these jza'can be to launch.

It was in second gear that the gains were made, loadingup second gear and using the early boost meant I pulled another 1/2 car length early in 2nd.

Against Andy , Thats quite an acheivement, his beast is a rocketship!

Matt

celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Thu, 10 April 2003 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry matt i thought you and Andy where normally level peg .when you said "ive never pulled on him like that before"

i assumed you where fairly close ...hey thats sounds a little rude you guys arnt too friendly are you Laughing

seriously though we have to run some 0-100 times yet to compare but i guessing the manual will be about 3 tenths quicker 0-100

why do you think i ordered my new diff,shift kit and intercooler .i reckon with my boost controller you could almost catch me now .....ALMOST Razz Razz ........ Very Happy
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Fri, 06 June 2003 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Considering this post was originally a discussion regarding boost controllers and the reason why so many toymods members email me for information regarding the controllers i will post this

for information regarding the controllers (new design new price)

please email me or goto my webpage
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Sat, 07 June 2003 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you tested this boost controller on a 2JZ? I have a feeling the sequential turbos may complicate matters somewhat...
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Sun, 08 June 2003 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to be honest i hadnt consdered the sequential setup as the most popular setup (particularly) i the u.s is to run the two turbos simultaneously . If you conatct ray hall turbocharging in Cairns QLD he has a conversion kit for sale .or there is a how to do on the Supra forms (i believe)

having said that if you wish to run sequential .and joining the wastegate lines and compressor oulet lines into a tee works on a standard boost controller setup then so will my setup

in fact both the wastegate actuators will be effected by the same amount of increased boost and the response time will increase by the same amount for each turbo .so even if they use diiferent wastegate actuators the sequential setup will not be effected

i would happy to let you try one to be sure

Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Sun, 08 June 2003 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I am sure that supra forums have a method of modification which involves only actuator plumbing mods.

In this case celicamads boost controler could be used to controol the resulting single actuator line.

Matt

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Tue, 10 June 2003 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celicamad wrote on Sun, 08 June 2003 11:24

i would happy to let you try one to be sure

Will you be present at the forthcoming dyno day? If so, I wouldn't mind giving your device a test-spin. Smile
Pingu
Newcomer

March 2004

boost control Tue, 09 March 2004 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Celicamad

I have built a similar boost control system, almost identical to the diy boost control system on autospeed

consisting of a one way valve (to shut the wastegate when manifold is in vacuum) , metalworks bit regulator (supposed to be very accurate) , and a norgren relief valve.

My relief valve when wound fully anti clockwise , ie no preload on spring , air passes freely through it , this means its a normally open relief valve right?

However mine does not regulate boost independantley of load.
Under load the boost will increase 2-3 psi more than the max achieved in say 1st & 2nd gear.

But it does this on every single boost controller ive tried.

What is this regulator of yours that is consistent with maximum boost pressure under all loads? I might have tried it. PM me if you could.

Ive noticed when connecting only a relief valve between manifold and actuator , the relief pressure whatever set to , when reached the boost say set to 13 will fall back down to stock 7psi and holds that, it seems once the valve opens it stays open. Is this because it maybe a normally open relief valve?

Any info appriciated man

Thanks
thug_immortal
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: boost control Tue, 29 June 2004 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to dig up an old thread, Very Happy

Celicamad or anyone else, have you tried this on a 7mgte? If so what were the gains like, what sort of boost levels where you getting and how son was the boost comming on?

Thanks in advance,
Scott
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: boost control Tue, 29 June 2004 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shit i remember reading this a long time ago!!! just buy one man they are the best!! just dont run to high boost on the standard wheel in the ct26
Special Ed
Regular

November 2003
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Wed, 30 June 2004 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I am Celicamads Rep. in Sydney. If you would like a free fit and trial just PM me, or call on 0427708848.

I have a unit in stock that would suit your application.

Matt
spans
Regular

January 2004
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Wed, 30 June 2004 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm.

Back to the original Question which was about boost control and an FCD for the 1j and NOT a tribute to Celicamad's boost controller (No Ill-will intended people!!! Smile

The setup I currently have on my 1J, is a Blitz TwinSBC Boost controller. This controls boost beautifully with barely a hint of spike. My low setting is 11.5psi and my hi setting is 16psi.

I got around the fuel cut by installing an AFC and leaning the car out, which in turn raises the fuel cut accordingly. I'm not sure on the precise way it does it, but it is safe within reason. I.e. Dont lean it out too much to cause detonation. The 1J in its natural state runs as rich as the richest of them, so in theory, it won't cause any harm to the engine.

A better way to do it would be to use the diode trick, theres a long thread about it on here somewhere, but basically, it doesn't lean the car out at all, it just caps the sensor reading to the the fuel cut so that the car never actually thinks it's running too much boost. And thats the most simplified explanation ever!

Anyway, my setup works well for me, I'm sure there are better, safer ways to do it. But I plan on breaking my small twins anyway and upgrading to a relatively largeish single.

celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J???? Thu, 01 July 2004 12:09 Go to previous message
The safc is a far better approach if your attempting to lean out mixtures hoever one of the zener diode circuit (not sure whixh one i have) DOES in fact have an effect on mixtures in the high boost end .

Just think of it this way if the ecu thinks that no more than 13 psi is present and your running 16 . it supplies fuel for 13 psi not 16 .

we did a little testing AND

when running higher boost the mixtures where still rich but no where near as rich as when running hks fuel cut defender or . brderline fuel cut with no fcd

Quote:

Hmm.

Back to the original Question which was about boost control and an FCD for the 1j and NOT a tribute to Celicamad's boost controller (No Ill-will intended people!!!

thats cool but the post does say
Quote:

Which Boost controller and Fuel cut defender for my 1J????
Smile

for point of interest i can guarantee that boost can be bought on MUCH faster than your Blitz TwinSBC Boost controller will now . you can simply add my wastegate control and boost can be brought on much faster . i have aslo fitted these to e-boost and hks electronic controllers .with great results

Pingu

sorry mate i must have missed your post

i tried the autospeed sytem with similar results .

unfortunatley NONE of those components actaully work
and usually melt under heavy use

and a regulator NEVER works well on a turbo car (sometimes ok on external setup)

im sorry but you need to use my full system to get that type of result.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:cressida/supra hybrid?
Next Topic:4agze intake manifold
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 11:31:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0089409351348877 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.