Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Non Toyota : VR4 head on Starion Block

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Non Toyota : VR4 head on Starion Block Sun, 13 April 2003 07:19 Go to next message
As the subject says.. Non Toyota related question.

I'm currently involved in helping a friend put a VR4 head on a Starion block.. Anyone ever done this conversion or know of someone who has?

I have a few questions need to ask as stuck at the moment Sad

Cheers
Joel
  Send a private message to this user    
Norminator
Regular

August 2002
Re: Non Toyota : VR4 head on Starion Block Fri, 18 April 2003 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey, Joel...

have a look around here and you should find something useful. Pop-up's will give you the red-ass, though.

i remember something about retapping the block for the belt-tensioner, and i'm sure there is plenty of other shite. have you checked the clearance of the 4v head on the 2v bottom-end? maybe the rwd 4g-block(starion) will take the fwd 4g-block internals (a la vr4/evo)?

my sister is just running in her rebuilt 4g63. stayed with SOHC for simplicity (she isn't as keen on modding the Starion as i am Evil or Very Mad ) but even the SOHC motors can make good power with a bit of fiddling (stock boost is only 1/2 bar). the twincam is just what the doctor ordered, though... especially considering the robust nature of the Starion's driveline! the only thing these cars didn't get from the factory is enough power!!

fill me in on how you and your mate go with it... if you guys think it is worth it at the other end. i think it should turn a 'sweet car' into a 'schweeeet' car.

Starion roolz. ok? Laughing
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Non Toyota : VR4 head on Starion Block Sat, 19 April 2003 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey joel its jim here

years ago i did a magna efi head on a starion engine

we ended up using autronic computer

im pretty sure the head bolts straight on

im not to sure bout vr4 head

yr best bet is to compare head gaskets between the 2 heads

and maybe using a cheaper ecu

biggest prob i had on that conversion was water pipes

when u go from fwd to rwd u usually have probs with water hoses anyway

[Updated on: Sat, 19 April 2003 01:14]

celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Non Toyota : VR4 head on Starion Block Sat, 26 April 2003 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the vr4 heads bolt straight onto the starion 4g63 blocks as they are the same block you can do it with a 4g62 block as well being the smaller sapacity of the 63... the 63 head is the same as 62 head the twin cam head is the samwe bolt pattern as the single cam head so you wont have problem getting it on... you just godda make sure the 4v head clears the 2v pistons... i have neevr ehard of them being a problem though and get a longer belt... i am not sure bout the twin cam pulleys if they are the same or not though but yeah the twin cam head goes straight onto the single cam 4g63 as they are the same block
HooN
Regular

May 2002
Re: Non Toyota : VR4 head on Starion Block Mon, 28 April 2003 00:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is this "vr4rion" project taking place in melbourne? if so im interested in coming to have a look... you can even trial fit the twin cam engine to my starion for a test run Razz

on the Bishiboys site, its been said that its a fair bit of work.. and not a bolt on like swapping between 4AGE heads. Things like Throttle body placement, thermostat placement, turbo manifolds, oil galleries(?) and pistons are some of the things which need addressing.

be very interested in any pics you guys may or have taken..

cheers,

tom
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Non Toyota : VR4 head on Starion Block Mon, 28 April 2003 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The build is taking place near Sydney.

All coming together well now. Head is on, everything there lines up fine. Found out we need to run the whole timing setup from the VR4, pulleys, pumps, tensioners etc. Have purchased all those and fitted, again all lining up well.

Problem now is water pump, VR4 doesn't seem to fit the Starion block, and the Starion item interferes with one of the tensioners. Thinking a craig davies external electric water pump might be the easiest sollution.

Plenum needs to be changed, throttle body moved from one end to the other.

Fully custom exhaust/turbo manifold will be used also.

Will keep everyone updated on progess and try and get some pics.

Cheers
Joel
celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Non Toyota : VR4 head on Starion Block Mon, 28 April 2003 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont see why you didnt just buy a vr4 engine Very Happy all you needed to do is cut and shut one engine mount
HooN
Regular

May 2002
Re: Non Toyota : VR4 head on Starion Block Mon, 28 April 2003 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
catch is fitting your RWD KM series gearbox to a (narrower) vr4 block...

VR4s are east/west 4wds.

cheers
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Non Toyota : VR4 head on Starion Block Mon, 28 April 2003 23:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah there was 2 reasons.. One being the problem running the original starion gearbox, as i'd also heard the VR4 blocks are narrower.

The other thing was it was already running with the starion g63b, and seemed a cheaper option to purchase a vr4 head and timing gear. It allowed funds for fun stuff like forged pistons, nitrided crank, shot peened rods etc.

Cheers
Joel
E30-323ti
Regular

June 2002
Re: Non Toyota : VR4 head on Starion Block Tue, 29 April 2003 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a guy on http://www.nzmmc.co.nz/forum starion16v I think it is, who knows quite a bit, and his car goes quiet well also.
bloody_huge23
Regular

May 2002
Re: Non Toyota : VR4 head on Starion Block Tue, 29 April 2003 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey all,
My brother currently owns a mitsubishi scorpion with a sirius dash motor in it.
We dynoed it and at 15pounds it producing 130kw at the wheels or 205 at the fly.
He was thinking about putting on the vr4 head also.
Heres a picture of it.

http://www.bjac.netfirms.com/scorpion.htm

What kind of power do you think you will be getting outa the engine wid the VR4 gear?
Thanx,
Adam

[Updated on: Tue, 29 April 2003 22:45]

celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Non Toyota : VR4 head on Starion Block Thu, 01 May 2003 10:54 Go to previous message
actually i have sene it done in a chrysler lancer he has used the vr4 engine in rwd.. dunno what he done with the gearbox though... it was an easy set up though
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:13 - 14" wheel upgrade
Next Topic:22R (rn85 1991 Hilux) Engine service info needed plz.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 13:59:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053079128265381 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.