Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Thu, 20 June 2002 05:20 Go to next message
guys,

i'm thinking about getting a batch of rwd alloy 3sge flywhels made up - they will be a copy of the altessa rz200 flywheel. the more people prepared to buy, the lower the price of course. at this point i have 2 definates, and one possible.
price would be somewhere around the $450 mark i'd say.

the advantage of using the correct rwd flywheel is that there are no lineup issues with the 1s bellhousing and starter motor etc.

T
  Send a private message to this user    
puzzigully
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Thu, 20 June 2002 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
T,

Is this gonig to be a copy of the flywheel that is on the Gen4 3SGE?
If so, I would be interested to know more...

Puzzigully
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Thu, 20 June 2002 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Puz,

it will be a copy - a very good copy actually. made by the same guy who has been making 4age alloy flywheels for the last couple of years (Bill S has two)

he also has cromolly 4age flywheels now if anyone is interested.

T
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Fri, 21 June 2002 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ummm, whats wrong with the flywheel off the 3S-GTE? I know lots of people using this with no problems!
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Fri, 21 June 2002 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there are lineup issues - starter motor, clutch pivot. you can get it to work, but the propper rwd one makes it better - and the alloy one is a bit more than 1/2 the weight of the steel one!!!!

T
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Fri, 21 June 2002 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much does he want for a chro mo RWD flywheel for a 4AGE... i'm VERY interested, especially if it is considerably lighter than the stock RWD one...
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Fri, 21 June 2002 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cro-molly 4age flywheel is $600 + gst. it is around 3.6kg - all up (intergral ring-gear) if you want to know roughly what they look like, look up the toda usa website and check out their 4age cro-molly flywheel.

if you think $660 is too expensive - work out how much the toda one would cost landed!

in comparison new alloy 4age flywheel is ~$450-70.

T
Celica_RA40
Regular

May 2002
Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Fri, 21 June 2002 07:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you know if he makes an alloy flywheel for an 18R-GEU ? if so how much would one be worth? thanks
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Fri, 21 June 2002 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWIW the alloy ones look like this -

http://www.billzilla.org/alloyflywheel1.jpg

http://www.billzilla.org/alloyflywheel2.jpg

The 3SGE alloy ones will look much the same I guess.
purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Fri, 21 June 2002 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
which 4age flywheel is lighter cromoly or alloy?

Brad
greypower
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Fri, 21 June 2002 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm doing a 3SGTE rear wheel drive conversion & have read/been told that using the SA63 Celica bellhousing,clutch slave & lever ,& starter motor makes it a bolt in fitup. Can anybody Definitely confirm this. If not the case, I would be interested in an alloy flywheel, but I beleive the turbo crank either has larger bolt holes or an extra two. I know it's away from your original question, but maybe the rest of the flyheel is exactley the same.
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Sun, 23 June 2002 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celicara40 - it would be prob. slightly more than the 4age one - and he'd need you flywheel to copy.

brad, cromolly flywheel ends up lighter and stronger - mainly due to the fact that it is one piece.

sa63 bellhousing bolts up to a 3sge (i have this setup sitting in my sprinter right now) but you can't use the sa63 flywheel without some slightly dodgy mods - 3sge runs 8 bolt crank - sa63 2s motor runs 6 bolt. yes you can weld it up etc - but you will end up with a 10kg flywheel.

T
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Mon, 24 June 2002 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dunno, Toby - My complete alloy 4AG flywheel is just over 3kgs ...
The steel one would be stronger though for sure.
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Mon, 24 June 2002 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bill,

was that weight including the ring-gear though? on the cro-molly one the ring-gear is machined into the flywheel.

T
greypower
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Mon, 24 June 2002 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was planning on using the 3S-GTE flywheel & reverse the ring gear if necessary & use the RA63 starter. Does this work out okay or not? Are the 2 flywheels the same dia. & spacings from the block? Thanks
Richard
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Mon, 24 June 2002 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toby, yep, though I must admit the scales I use might not be that accurate. Wink
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Tue, 17 September 2002 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
trying to confirm some numbers on these flywheels - will be making both fwd and rwd types.

price will vary depending on numbers - the more made, the cheaper they get!

anyone else want one??

T
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Tue, 17 September 2002 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For what gen motor will these be for?
I will be using a gen3 ST205 3S-GTE these are an 8 bolt crank? yeah?
kristian
Regular

June 2002

Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Tue, 17 September 2002 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How does the 3.6 kg alloy flywheel feel on the road Bill ?..
im about to upgrade my clutch, im thinking of putting this in.
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Tue, 17 September 2002 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool1,

i have a gen3 3sge flywheel off my motor we will be copying (no idea if the turbo one is different to it) - it is 8 bolt,
and i will be borrowing an rs200 3sge altessa flywheel to copy it as well.

T
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Wed, 18 September 2002 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It drives fine, but it takes a while to get used to how quickly the revs drop when letting the clutch out. I stalled it about ten times in the first hour when I first drove it, but rapidly got better after that .... Wink
It was also made more difficult by the fact that I've also put a close-ratio gearbox in the car at the same time, so my 1st gear is almost the same as a stock Sprinter's 2nd gear.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Wed, 18 September 2002 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I may be interested in a flywheel for the 8 bolt 3S-GE! What weight would you be expecting? And is there any update on the price?
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Wed, 18 September 2002 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1,

i would say they will be just under 4kg - as they are bigger than the 4age flywheel. of course after you add the ring-gear & clutch setup they will weigh somewhat more...

as a 1 off they would cost between $470-500 ea i'd say. if you want one, we are now up to 3 fwd ones... batches of 4/5 or more are preferred to get a discount. realistically i'd say maybe $50 less per flywheel? but the amount really depends on final numbers.

T
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Wed, 18 September 2002 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhh ok thanks mate.
I might just wait and see if I still get a 3S-GTE or not!
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Mon, 04 November 2002 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have I missed this group buy?
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Tue, 05 November 2002 22:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well judging by the massive response i got to a group buy, it didn't actually happen.

i am getting 3 n/a type 3sge flywheels made, and can get 3sgte type ones made as well. (i'm also getting a prototype 1uzfe one made)

T

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Tue, 05 November 2002 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So what did they cost you?
I'm interested in a flywheel now Smile
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Tue, 05 November 2002 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am getting the n/a type flywheel made (not finished yet)
cool1 - if you want a turbo one, i can get it made (i borrowed a st185 flywheel/clutch setup on monday) - it will be a 1-off though (john has not done one before) price will be around $500 (using your ring-gear).

T
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Wed, 06 November 2002 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, But the 205 flywheel is different to the 185! is it not?
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Wed, 06 November 2002 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool1,

if it is, it can't be by much - friend of mine owns a couple of st165 gt4's - he just fitted a st205 clutch & pressure plate to one of the st165's!

T
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Wed, 06 November 2002 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty sure the 205 has more bolt holes Rolling Eyes
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Wed, 06 November 2002 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
holes where?

T
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Wed, 06 November 2002 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing The holes to bolt it onto the engine Very Happy
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Wed, 06 November 2002 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all the turbo 3s motors are 8 bolt, but if you want more holes, i can get it made that way if you want (10? 12?)

T
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Thu, 07 November 2002 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the 165 is a 6 bolt is it not?
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Thu, 07 November 2002 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
early 162 motors may have had 6 bolt cranks (1s bottom end) but st165 3sgte motors always had 8 to my knowledge - also st165 & 185 are almost the same motor - the bolt-ons/ecu etc changed though...

T
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Thu, 07 November 2002 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I cant be sure, but i'm pretty sure that the flywheels on the 205 is different to the 165!
askkenny
Newcomer

November 2002
Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Thu, 07 November 2002 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is a site to be proud of. Well done. I think the diversity makes exploring how comprehensive and devoted the information is rewarding.

FWIW here in the states there are a number of outlets for Fidanza aluminum flywheels and here is the link for Fidanza Engineering:

http://www.aluminumflywheels.com/[/url]

If Bill S. has these Aussie mate's flywheels it would be interesting to read a head-to-head comparison of the two.

bob@gtji.com
Fidanza Engineering
4285 Main St.
Perry , OH , 44081
USA
Telephone: 440-259-5656 Fax 440-259-5588

Also, I just used IE's search bar and entered "fidanza engineering"

[Updated on: Thu, 07 November 2002 06:24]

._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Thu, 07 November 2002 22:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they look to be very similar to john's ones.

john's are made of 6061 t6, with bisalloy wear faces. bet he's far cheaper too!!!

cool1 - can't be too different if the clutch setup fits. no matter, as i will be looking at getting the st185/sw20 gen2 type (the flywheel i borrowed) copied if you want one (unless you can supply us with a st205 type to compare?)

T
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3sge rwd alloy flywheel anyone??? Fri, 08 November 2002 10:44 Go to previous message
Well I have deceided to put of getting the Engine till January so i'll just wait till then!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:skyline rear end in RA28 celica?
Next Topic:4AGZE into a 1979 corolla (KE50 i think is the model!)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:42:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069332122802734 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.