Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
trd_celica85
Regular

September 2002
22RE on Premium Thu, 08 May 2003 01:48 Go to next message
Can i run my 22RE on premium. I have looked up which cars can use premium on both the Shell and BP sites and both list RA65 with 22R-C?!? but further down the list they have corona with 22R-E?!? would this just be a typo?

Plus would i have to use those valve protection additives?

Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 22RE on Premium Thu, 08 May 2003 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pretty much any Toyota of that vintage or even sooner will run fine on unleaded petrol. Japan had unleaded for ages before that and so most of their engines already had hardened valve seats.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 22RE on Premium Thu, 08 May 2003 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We killed my GF's corona (22-RE) by filling it with premium (not even standard unleaded).

I reccommend staying with LRP.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 22RE on Premium Thu, 08 May 2003 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WTF? Are you sure thats the reason? LRP has caused shiteloads of damage to peoples engines, and those engines don't need to be run on leaded fuel.

Running my car on premium unleaded was the best thing I ever did for my RA60.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 22RE on Premium Thu, 08 May 2003 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The LRP lubes the valves up or something. When we put in premium unleaded (kinda my call) the engine got heaps noisy and didn't last long before we had to get it out and change it. We did try putting super back in and although it did quieten it down a bit the damage was done.

If its not broke, don't fix it. If its running fine with LRP use LRP.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 22RE on Premium Thu, 08 May 2003 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The whole point is that the engine shouldn't need the lube, cos its made to run on unleaded. I'd say something else happened and that it was a coincidence. My car has a 21R-C which was even older and has been driven hard for nearly 3 years on a sole diet of premium unleaded.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 22RE on Premium Thu, 08 May 2003 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for the record, i've been running my 4K with early 3K head (between '70 and '74) for the past 4 years on PULP (98 octane stuff). no problems with pitting or damage. this is with big cam and 10.2:1 CR and much abuse.....

way back when leaded was phasing out, we (oldcorollas ppl) contacted toyota about which cars were ok for unleaded. they said the only issue was the octane rating and all toyota engines after (at least) 1967 had hardened valve seats, and were ok for unleaded petrol...

the only cars that can't use premium unleaded are ones with soft valve seats or none at all, adn these are usually american cars or holden/fords.....

if anyone has a spare valve seat they want hardness tested, send it to me Smile you can have vickers, brinell, microhardness (probably best here)... whichever...

anyhoo, if a 1970 K engine is ok, i think most others will be fine too.
Cya, Stewart
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 22RE on Premium Thu, 08 May 2003 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, any 22R will be fine on unleaded fuel. It's a common misconception that lead is used to "lubricate" the valves, but that's not really what it does. The lead prevents the exhaust valves from "micro-welding" themselves to the seats, thus tearing chunks out and slowly eroding the valve seat. Any engine with hardened valve seats, which includes pretty much any Toyota engine with an alloy head, does not suffer from this problem so lead is unnecessary.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 22RE on Premium Thu, 08 May 2003 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And the fact that lead was supposed to boost the octance level of the fuel, hence premium.

But thats not always valid, in the engine manual for my car, it recommends a min RON of 89 Smile
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 22RE on Premium Thu, 08 May 2003 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With kylie's "new" engine (out of a RA celica). I convinced her to try premium and it did not run well (tank was empty before - light was on for 5kms) and full tank of premium unleaded.

Car ran good, but after half the tank started making .. I'm not going to say "pinging" but it sounded like small metal components clicking together very fast, and sounded like it was at the top of the engine.

Since then she has kept it LRP.
celicamad85
Forums Junkie

Banned member

May 2002

Re: 22RE on Premium Thu, 08 May 2003 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that same thing happened to me after i rebuilt my 22re, put it on premium straight away with those exact noises i filled it back up with lrp..but after it was run in (5000km) put it back on premium and it ran beautiful with the timing advanced
BansheeBuzz
Regular

January 2003
Re: 22RE on Premium Thu, 08 May 2003 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can run a leaded 22r-e on premium only. Running on regular will result in pinging. In extreme cases it may ping on premium.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 22RE on Premium Fri, 09 May 2003 15:34 Go to previous message
AFAIK LRP and 'normal' Premium unleaded are the same RON (95 or 96), but premium is 1c/litre more (round here at least). So no point runnning premium.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:help!!!...oil in turbo piping
Next Topic:Will this work?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 12:42:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061550140380859 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.