Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Kin9os
Occasional Poster

November 2002
Corona Experts Mon, 12 May 2003 12:14 Go to next message
My mate has an XT 130 Corona, the car is in good condition but sucks in power, it a 4spd 2L carby ???
Is there any engine conversion available that doesnt involve to much work ?
  Send a private message to this user    
BansheeBuzz
Regular

January 2003
Re: Corona Experts Mon, 12 May 2003 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
engine conversion that doesn't require too much work does not exist unless you vehicle originaly came with another engine. XT130 also came with 21r and the starfire motor.

I have a 21r with 5 speed still in a xt130 corona i would sell for $250 for everything required for conversion. The car is still running fine, just the body so badly rusted its not worth fixing for a road worthy.

[Updated on: Mon, 12 May 2003 12:25]

TE35
Regular

May 2003
Re: Corona Experts Tue, 13 May 2003 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I cant believe I'm suggesting this... but...
If it has the Holden Starfire 4 (aka Misfire, but anyway), it may be an easy option to relieve a commodore of a 186 or a 202, as a Starfire is essentially a cut down Holden Six.
As an engine swap, it is apparently no different to putting the six into a UC Sunbird Torana or a VB/VC Commodore.
It has been done before, but Im not sure how legal it is, esp. in regards to insurance.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Corona Experts Tue, 13 May 2003 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u will find that the 21R will not be any quicker than the 1X so dont bother with it if u want more power..
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Corona Experts Wed, 14 May 2003 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
by no means easy Smile but i am nearly finished my 1jz conversion. not very cheap either Smile could try a 1g-gte as these fit into xt141's and xt130's. there is just enought room for my 1jz but i think it is about 100mm longer than a 1g.

later
chris
toycelica77
Regular

February 2003
Re: Corona Experts Wed, 14 May 2003 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have done the holden six into corona conversion, and put simply, its a peice of piss...

so easy infact it took 2 ppl one night to finish, minus dinner and a whole carton...

what you need to do is

1) find a holden 6 preferrably a 186 or 173, less capacity makes it easier to register

2) fully rebuild it using all the holden inline 6 'go fast bits', or my engine this included triple stromies, high compression pistons, pacemaker extractors, yella terra head, *raise the compression even more if you dare, i had it hovering around 10-11:1* balanced shot peened rods and crank, 60 thou over, and a cam that'll show up on the richtor scale *the thinking man could get a 202 crank into a 186 blocked to fool the ppl at the road dept :D* ...

3) move the radiator forward, or cut the tailshaft down to size, but this means moveing the gearbox and shift lever back, not good becuase it takes more work

4) make up some mounts, i'm lucky to have a boiler maker as a mate so he helped me out, but any engineering workshop will makes some for a reasonable charge, (the going rate is usually about $40p/hour + materials) just amke sure you get the measurements right

5) use and engine crane to lower your engine in, bolt right up, (if you got your measuerments right) and go get her engineered

you also might want to upgrade your feul lines if your going to a wild six, but if you leave it pretty much standard(which will still haul ass) you should be fine...

pulled an easy high 13 second quarter considering its only a 1000kg car Smile

cheap effective WRX scarer (not beater, it lost it all in wheelspin), i suggest wearing a tweed cost whenever driving to add to the sleeper effect

happy modding Evil or Very Mad
Aussie_Turbo
Regular

April 2003

Re: Corona Experts Thu, 15 May 2003 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toycelica: would this conversion be ok for the '79 corona liftback as well??? it has the starfire in it still.
toycelica77
Regular

February 2003
Re: Corona Experts Thu, 15 May 2003 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sure would... i think the entire front end is the same as in the sedan or wagon version... just the back changes

have you got the M20 box or the W50 celica box? if you've got the W50 castlemaine rod shop sell a bellhousing and all the other stuff to fit a holden 6 to celica box for around $425 (a mate just got one actually) plus $35 postage to brissie, the M20 box is not a problem as its meant for the holden 6 anyways, but you might want to change to the clica box, 1st gear in an M20 is kinda useless - *2nd isnt that bad tho*... also mounts can be scavenge of any holden six or inline 6, you just need to make an adapter plate if you dont want some nice shiny ones that an engineer would make up for you

but yeah, anything with the starfire will accept the holden 6 transplant, they are indeed the same engine

i'm kinda kicking myself that i sold it for just $1000 to a guy that was gonna paddock whack with it, it was such a nice car Sad

i'll never forget those looks on the skyline drivers faces as i left the line sideways and sprayed rubber all over there car... ahh, the memories Evil or Very Mad

BTW - i found that the sloppy progressive rate springs on the corona that came standard were better for traction, they really do squat on hard take offs... stiff prings tend to give a lot of wheelspin Very Happy
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: Corona Experts Thu, 15 May 2003 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toycelica77
Quick question.
How would you go about fitting a RB30 out of a VL commodore?
Aussie_Turbo
Regular

April 2003

Re: Corona Experts Thu, 15 May 2003 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason, is the RB30 the standard VL turbo?
NO-18r
Regular

May 2003
Re: Corona Experts Thu, 15 May 2003 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
non turbo 3L... very sluggish behind a auto box may i add...
Aussie_Turbo
Regular

April 2003

Re: Corona Experts Thu, 15 May 2003 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah sweet thanks for that mate.

What is the turbo one then??
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Corona Experts Thu, 15 May 2003 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As an educated guess (and going by Nissan's engine nomenclature Razz ), I'd suggest it would be the RB30T...

[Updated on: Thu, 15 May 2003 04:40]

NO-18r
Regular

May 2003
Re: Corona Experts Thu, 15 May 2003 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer tuff one... well its easy but i dont know... all the vl turbos ive talked to (yes i talk to cars... Embarassed ) have all been converted to a rb20-det the all mighty r32 engine...
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Corona Experts Thu, 15 May 2003 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RB30ET is the VL turbo one

and yes, RB20DET (r32 one) is much nicer... crikeys, it'll actually crack some REVS! Although why a 1G isn't just as good, I really don't know, apart from the fact that every part and it's cousin is available for nissan stuff. Oh, and a 1G conversion would be relatively cheap too...
toycelica77
Regular

February 2003
Re: Corona Experts Thu, 15 May 2003 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason wrote on Thu, 15 May 2003 13:33

Toycelica77
Quick question.
How would you go about fitting a RB30 out of a VL commodore?

uhm... that might requires some more skill

its feasable, the corona have a surpringsly big engine bay...

i've never actually measured an RB30ET or RB30E up before so this is just an approx

1) get a set of the RB30 mounts, whack em on the XT130 crossmember, you'd ahve to see whether its got the clearance between the back of the engine and the firewall (i always leave 15mm between moving and non-moving parts...

2) if the gearbox is too big you'll need to massage the trans tunnel (might me able to squeeze in i think)

3) shorten your tailshaft (by alot i'd say)

4) radiator fowards, you might want to get a bigger one while your at it, not sure about the inlet and outlet for the radiator, they MIGHT be on different sides to that of the corona one

5) wiring loom and ECU have to go somewhere, behind glovebox in dash is good, they have a bit of room there, or behind centre console

6) exhaust clearance shouldnt be a problem, you'll need a bigger one than the 'granny spec' they come with

it'd be a very tight squeeze but i'd the RB30E would fit, the RB30ET would only be for the seasoned professionals tho...

although in my opinion, the RB30E wouldnt be that much better than the holden inline 6, and the holden is cheaper and easier to fit... plus the ammount of cheap peformance parts for the holden is insane, and replacements parts are dirt cheap...

mrshin is right, the 1G transfer problably would be cheaper than the RB (twin cam), but the holden inline would cost about $1000 all up including engine while the 1G would cost about $2000+ just for a 1G frontcut...

each to there own i say, but you wont beat the sound of a cammed holden 6 reaching 6000rpm Evil or Very Mad

[Updated on: Thu, 15 May 2003 05:42]

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Corona Experts Thu, 15 May 2003 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toycelica77 wrote on Thu, 15 May 2003 15:39

but you wont beat the sound of a cammed holden 6 reaching 6000rpm Evil or Very Mad

u mean gurgly and unrefined like a throat full of flem? Razz
toycelica77
Regular

February 2003
Re: Corona Experts Thu, 15 May 2003 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well.... yeah.... i cant argue with that

but they do sound nice when ppl spend some decent money on them, not these wanker 17yo types who drive VK commodores and the most performance enhacing mod they've ever done is getting a 3 inch exhaust
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Corona Experts Mon, 15 March 2004 19:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
holden engine into a corona No No No
how can you betray a toyota like that Twisted Evil

Razz

hehe, so how much did that engine conversion cost all up? Very Happy
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Corona Experts Tue, 16 March 2004 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

if your going to go a six in to a corona

do it with the 6cyl 4m that IS in a corona i flog heaps of commo's with the whole car stock i would be dead even with a Vk with extractors and exaust he'd beat me after 160 Evil or Very Mad

(this was done in a controlled enviroment)

but have fun finding parts
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Corona Experts Tue, 16 March 2004 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A Corona does not resemble a Corona MkII in any way. A 4M conversion wouldn't be easy and probably not too smart since they don't exactly have a lot of power for their size.
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Corona Experts Tue, 16 March 2004 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message

yes i realise this it was just a suggestion,

i was just following from the

jackel wrote on Tue, 16 March 2004 03:36

holden engine into a corona No No No
how can you betray a toyota like that Twisted Evil

onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: Corona Experts Tue, 16 March 2004 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can do it because it's a cheap upgrade and it's something different and it's a sleeper and there's parts a plenty for them and it'll hurt WRX drivers and upgrades are easy and you can build the engine yourself out of supercheap rebuild kits and need i go on?

it doesn't have to stay toyota powered in my book to get cred for doing something different. it's a conversion i've often pondered over.

the starfire comes in 1.9L and 2.4L yeah? then a 202 (3.3L) in then 2.4L car would be legal.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Corona Experts Tue, 16 March 2004 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
was the engine a direct bolt-in, i.e. no screwing around with mounts and shit
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Corona Experts Tue, 16 March 2004 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you bother reading the thread?

toycelica77 wrote on Wed, 14 May 2003 16:35

4) make up some mounts, i'm lucky to have a boiler maker as a mate so he helped me out, but any engineering workshop will makes some for a reasonable charge, (the going rate is usually about $40p/hour + materials) just amke sure you get the measurements right

fingers
Regular

April 2003
Re: Corona Experts Wed, 17 March 2004 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
onejayzed wrote on Tue, 16 March 2004 16:46

the starfire comes in 1.9L and 2.4L yeah? then a 202 (3.3L) in then 2.4L car would be legal.

I think the starfire is only the 1.9L. The 2.4L Corona is a different motor altogether, I believe.
jhalmers
Regular

July 2004
Re: Corona Experts Fri, 24 September 2004 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about an ST141 corona 84 model what would I be trying to find for an engine swap, how hard and what price
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Corona Experts Fri, 24 September 2004 10:00 Go to previous message
1ggte
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:echo/camry power locking system into early celica
Next Topic:Davies Craig fans
Goto Forum: