Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
celicadbz
Occasional Poster

May 2003
Can a 22RE fit into a RA40 Sat, 17 May 2003 10:10 Go to next message
i would like to know if a 22RE engine will fit into my 81 Ra40 coupe. if it does anyone know if there are many modifications that needs to be done, also what are the modifications.
ps will my celica manual gearbox bolt straight on to it?

Email me at triptek@iprimus.com.au
  Send a private message to this user    
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Can a 22RE fit into a RA40 Sat, 17 May 2003 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.toymods.org.au/swap_guide.html

Yes it will fit, but there are better R series engines available such as the 18r-geu.
celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Can a 22RE fit into a RA40 Sun, 18 May 2003 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it can fit but it is not a matter of just taking the 18r out and putting the 22r in... the engines sit further faward so tyou might haveta use the 22r gearbox and you might haveta modify the sump i am not sure on that so yeah it is not a straight swap. only minor mods you gdda do to get it in.. i was gonan puit one in mine then turbo it but i wasnt able to take over a grand in the same day Very Happy so i slapped an 18rg in
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Can a 22RE fit into a RA40 Sun, 18 May 2003 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The engine does not sit further forward; they're both R series engines so the block will be nearly identical. The sump may be different but if that's the case you can just swap them. It won't be necessary to swap the transmission either, as again the block is pretty much the same (including bellhousing bolt pattern).
celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Can a 22RE fit into a RA40 Sun, 18 May 2003 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
um yes they would in a ra40.. if you look at both engines you will see that the 22r's engine mounts are located a little bit further to the middle of the engine then the 18r's and the mounts on the cross members sit closer to the firewall in the ra65 celicas as well go and have a look and compare... now i am not sure if you can locate the mounts further faward on the 22r's to sit but i know that they sit further back in the ra65's they use a totally different cross member.
Blaze
Regular

December 2002
Re: Can a 22RE fit into a RA40 Sun, 18 May 2003 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't want to get picky, but as Norbie said they are both "R" series engines. So if the 18r sits forward so will the 22r, no problem there with gearboxes or other stuff. As for the sumps I am not sure. Just did the 18rgeu swap on my ra23 and the bastard had a front type sump. So I just threw on the 18r's instead. fits fine.
celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Can a 22RE fit into a RA40 Sun, 18 May 2003 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats because the 18rg uses the same block as an 18rc... the 22r mounts that bolts to the engine sits further back on the block then the 18r look at an 18r and a 22r and you wil see what i mean.. look where the engine mounts are located and possibly if you can the mounting points on the cross members in each cars you will see that they are different.
if they are all the same why cant you bolt 22r parts into an 18r without any modifications. Smile thats just one example
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Can a 22RE fit into a RA40 Sun, 18 May 2003 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No-one said the 22R and 18R are identical, but they come from the same engine family so they share many similarities. It's quite common for engines to come with multiple mounting points to suit various applications; for example, on my 2JZ there are two distinct positions to attach the engine mounts, and they're about 3-4 inches apart.
celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Can a 22RE fit into a RA40 Mon, 19 May 2003 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought so.. but you got to agree that the engine mounts origionally sit further in the middle then the 18r's Smile
celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Can a 22RE fit into a RA40 Mon, 19 May 2003 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
um.. norbie just wondering.. do you happen to know a guy called eddie that used to own a mk 2 supra? cause if you do i have met you once Very Happy down the gold coast
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Can a 22RE fit into a RA40 Mon, 19 May 2003 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah the name rings a bell...
celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Can a 22RE fit into a RA40 Mon, 19 May 2003 11:14 Go to previous message
thought so Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Could this motor go in my 3S-GE?
Next Topic:repair of front bar MA61
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 10:57:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064389705657959 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.