Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
DXWaggn
Newcomer

June 2003
KE70 Wagon Diff options Wed, 04 June 2003 09:41 Go to next message
Hey.. Got a KE70 with a bluetop 4AGE in it.. diffs about to blow and it needs either an LSD or a locker for drifting (on the track) just wondering what my options are.. I heard from someone that a Twonace diff fits without too much mods? I can source an S314 diff from a KE74 wagon.. is this diff any good? i would really like a disc rear end for performance, and 'cause drummies look crap Razz
Cheers.
  Send a private message to this user    
king16
Regular

July 2002
Re: KE70 Wagon Diff options Thu, 05 June 2003 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
best option in terms of $$$ would probably be the same what i have in my sprinter and that is a st141 corona diff, they have stock discs and they are pretty beefy, and for performance and burnouts put a minispool center in it like me or a locker, dont bother with lsd.... goodluck mate
route__666
Newcomer

June 2003
Re: KE70 Wagon Diff options Thu, 05 June 2003 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any thing off a town ace is shit so dont even look at it
DXWaggn
Newcomer

June 2003
Re: KE70 Wagon Diff options Thu, 05 June 2003 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah but DX wagon has leaf springs at the back, and i dont particularly want to modify a 4 link rear end to leaf spring setup... any other ideas?
thanks
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: KE70 Wagon Diff options Thu, 05 June 2003 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a hilux diff with LSD, you'd be hard pressed to break it
DXWaggn
Newcomer

June 2003
Re: KE70 Wagon Diff options Thu, 05 June 2003 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude... i druve a dx wagon... u think im made of money or something?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: KE70 Wagon Diff options Thu, 05 June 2003 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, that depends on how often you break diffs?
if you wanna do burnouts and drifting and other stuff that is hard on diffs, then you're going to break them.
compare a one off cost of like 800-1000 vs breaking a diff every year...
you have a rolla with a 4AG in it, you may as well keep it on the road (and the hilux have nice ratios too..)
Cya, Stewart
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: KE70 Wagon Diff options Thu, 05 June 2003 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stewart: I think the hilux diff is too long to use without shortening, and shortening in itself is about $800 already... Add the LSD center, and the cost of the actual diff housing and I think you'd be looking at more like $1500 for a complete bolt in setup...
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: KE70 Wagon Diff options Thu, 05 June 2003 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup, it's longer and needs to be shortened.
but they are plentiful, and heaps of them have LSD's in the ratios you'd want (above 4). and they are not that exxy from wreckers.. like around $300 with LSD centre? yeah it'll be $1-1.5K, but it has huge axles and unbreakable centre (i hear numbers like 600hp being tossed around in racing circles)

basically if you want to do stupid stuff like burnouts and all, you have to build it tough or it will break. you can whinge about habing broken axles and gearboxes and diffs all you want, but if you do it properly the first time, it won't break... and you can always sell a modded diff pretty easily, cos everyone wants them Smile me included.
after seeing malcolms shortened hilux diff in his KE15 and seeign the size of it. i'm going to go that way with mine. simply because you will never have to worry about it agin...

or you can just get a cheap diff and buy lots of centres... your choice Smile (like i do with gearboxes till the T50 goes in ;P )
Cya, Stewart
4a-c
Regular

April 2003
Re: KE70 Wagon Diff options Thu, 05 June 2003 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
King16, im interested in the setup you have in your sprinter with the corona diff... Is this a costly/difficult swap?? If you could PM me with some info that would be great thanks
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: KE70 Wagon Diff options Thu, 05 June 2003 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stewart: How much heavier/bigger/stronger is the hilux diff to the R31 diff? At the moment I'm more inclined to go with the R31 diff mostly because I've heard it's lighter (less unsprung weight) and it already has the disc brake setup on it. But it IS a fair bit more expensive, I've seen LSD centers alone going for about $400. I was thinking of getting a Pintara diff and using the Pintara gearset to get a 4.11 ratio.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: KE70 Wagon Diff options Thu, 05 June 2003 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hilux rear ends are available in a variety of widths. I found one that's nearly the same width as my RA23 rear end, and I can't imagine it's much wider than a Corolla...
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: KE70 Wagon Diff options Thu, 05 June 2003 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most Hilux rear ends are 1410 mm hub face to hub face. However the RN2x series Hiluxes are 1370 mm across. Hiaces are 1570 mm across.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: KE70 Wagon Diff options Thu, 05 June 2003 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you mean from the mounting hub face (as in face of the drum)?

Does anyone know how wide the Corolla KE55 rear end is? I know it's narrower than the KE70, but I'm not sure by how much. I know the track is 1285mm... Haven't actually properly measured up the actual diff...
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: KE70 Wagon Diff options Thu, 05 June 2003 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wheel mounting face of the drum to wheel mounting face of the drum.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: KE70 Wagon Diff options Thu, 05 June 2003 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh wow... That would mean that it's only about 17mm longer than my KE55 rear end. RN2x, that would be about 72-78? Are the centers interchangeable with the later model Hilux's? It's an 8" G series diff isn't it?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: KE70 Wagon Diff options Fri, 06 June 2003 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
17mm is a pretty small difference... that means each wheel will be 8.5mm closer to the guard, and if that worries you just get wheels with 8.5mm less offset!

G series centres are interchangeable, so you can put a late G series LSD in an early G series housing.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: KE70 Wagon Diff options Fri, 06 June 2003 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
17mm doesn't worry me at all Smile And if the centers are interchangeable, that's even better! This Hilux diff is looking more and more favourable... Is it much heavier than the R31 one? I guess that'd be the only thing to make the R31 more favourable, that and the discs but I don't really care too much about getting discs on the back. It would be nice but I'm not too fussed.

How hard is it to find one of these? I've found lots of 80+ Hilux's, haven't come across any pre-80 ones yet. Will have to call around some wreckers...

oh yeah, what ratio do these diffs come in? If not 4.11, is it possible to get 4.11?

[Updated on: Fri, 06 June 2003 03:18]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: KE70 Wagon Diff options Fri, 06 June 2003 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
demuire wrote on Fri, 06 June 2003 13:16

17mm doesn't worry me at all Smile Is it much heavier than the R31 one? I guess that'd be the only thing to make the R31 more favourable, that and the discs but I don't really care too much about getting discs on the back. It would be nice but I'm not too fussed.

How hard is it to find one of these? I've found lots of 80+ Hilux's, haven't come across any pre-80 ones yet. Will have to call around some wreckers...

oh yeah, what ratio do these diffs come in? If not 4.11, is it possible to get 4.11?

No idea how heavy an R31 diff is, but the G series diff weighed significantly more than my F series (which weighed 55kg - so I'd say around 70 kg). Rear disc conversion has been performed and documented by me here.

I have never seen an RN2x Hilux diff. Rod Try (the pres) was selling one a while ago.

The diff ratios range from 3.7:1 right thru to ~5.5:1 depending on the application, but by far the most common are around the 4.3:1 mark.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: KE70 Wagon Diff options Fri, 06 June 2003 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have just searched through Toymods for other threads on this topic, and yeah it seems like 4.3:1 is the most common. 4.3:1 should be fine for my application I think. I would imagine that all the earlier hiluxs would have similar or narrower diff to the RN2x as well.

Thanks for that doco re handbrake, I'll look though it after this.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: KE70 Wagon Diff options Fri, 06 June 2003 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont forget that the hilux diff has a 5 stud axle.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: KE70 Wagon Diff options Fri, 06 June 2003 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, yeah... Thanks for that Smile
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: KE70 Wagon Diff options Fri, 06 June 2003 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
demuire wrote on Fri, 06 June 2003 14:09

I would imagine that all the earlier hiluxs would have similar or narrower diff to the RN2x as well.

You'd think that but unfortunately not. I was given a dead RN10. I stripped the diff out of it and it was 1410 across. Just what the doctor ordered for my Crown wagon.
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: KE70 Wagon Diff options Fri, 06 June 2003 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yaeh whats he going to about the 5 stud issue?
hes got 4 on the front.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: KE70 Wagon Diff options Fri, 06 June 2003 10:57 Go to previous message
Need to restud the hilux diff to 4 stud, or I'll have to run different rims on the back (or maybe I can restud the front to 5 stud Razz)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1JZ-GTE diagnostic connector pin-outs
Next Topic:AE71 Front end
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 12:37:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068221092224121 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.