Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
celicadbz
Occasional Poster

May 2003
7MGE OR 1GGTE Thu, 05 June 2003 14:43 Go to next message
hi
i posted a question the otherday about a 1989 supra, here is the thing was is the better motor 7MGE or 1GGTE?
if i get the 7MGE i will be getting a turbo.
also is there anything different between a 1987 MK3 supra to a 1989 MK3 Supra?
one other question as well i have a 1981 RA40 coupe, i managed to get hold of a 18RGU engine but i have heard that its not a cheap engine to rebiuld, what i would like know is there any point on rebiulding it coz i am thinking about getting a MK2 supra which has the 5MGE in.

so whats a better engine 5MGE or 18RGU?

please get back to as soon as possible, here my email triptek@iprimus.com.au

Send a private message to this user    
poombah
Regular

August 2002

Re: 7MGE OR 1GGTE Fri, 06 June 2003 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Neither

7MGTE needs modifications so they dont blow heads, 1GGTE are underpowered....

1JZGTE my friend Smile
mr supra
Regular

July 2002

Re: 7MGE OR 1GGTE Fri, 06 June 2003 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its going into a supra i wouldn't bother with the 1gg, the supra's a big heavy lump and i think the performance would be dissapointing.

and as far as I know the differences are mainly visual. Interiors different (steering wheel trim, numbers on the gauges,needles on the gauges etc) different front bar rear spoiler etc.

I have read on some us sites that there was a power difference but it wasn't a great deal, can't remember exact numbers though.

hmmm and now I see theres an email...maybe i should have sent this all there?
nah stuff it
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7MGE OR 1GGTE Fri, 06 June 2003 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get the 7M for sure. The standard 1G-GTE performs about the same as the non-turbo 7M-GE, so it should go without saying that the turbo 7M-GTE will go a LOT harder and have plenty more potential. As mentioned above, the 1JZ-GTE is better again, but it also costs more.
poombah
Regular

August 2002

Re: 7MGE OR 1GGTE Fri, 06 June 2003 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont get me wrong, 7M arent all that bad... just poorly designed in the ol Supra.

From owners ive spoken to the Turbo plumbing has insufficient heat shielding so when the car is shut down cylinders 4 & 5 are superheated.. and Cylinder 6 is affected due to poor flow of the cooling system... if you replumb around the heater back into the head you can avoid this problem.

Ive seen some angry 7M's, you just need to work around their
factory issues.

I just love my 1JZ... Indestructable! Smile

SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7MGE OR 1GGTE Fri, 06 June 2003 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you set the 7MGTE up correctly you won't have any issues. You'll have an animal and you wont have to worry about the head gasket, i'm still running the original factory head gasket.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 7MGE OR 1GGTE Fri, 06 June 2003 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

if you replumb around the heater back into the head you can avoid this problem.

Please explain?

Difference wise, the ECU and loom will be different between the 87 and 89 and will also vary on auto and manual.

There is 'talk', mainly from yanks, of the later model ECU's being better but im yet to see any proof: they are yanks after all.
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: 7MGE OR 1GGTE Fri, 06 June 2003 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there is also the cosmetic differences between 87 and 89.
Different nose and 3 piece wing on the back.
jonnyincognito
Occasional Poster

September 2005
Re: 7MGE OR 1GGTE Thu, 29 September 2005 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isn't the problem with the head gaskets not the headgasket itself but the torque specs they used from the factory? They were too light.

Edit: I guess I should check the age of the thread before I post! Here's some info on retorquing the 7M head though:

http://www.supras.org.nz/techinfo/stuart_woolford/ storque.html

Joshua

[Updated on: Thu, 29 September 2005 20:23]

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 7MGE OR 1GGTE Thu, 29 September 2005 22:20 Go to previous message
jonnyincognito wrote on Fri, 30 September 2005 05:28

Isn't the problem with the head gaskets not the headgasket itself but the torque specs they used from the factory? They were too light.

Edit: I guess I should check the age of the thread before I post! Here's some info on retorquing the 7M head though:

http://www.supras.org.nz/techinfo/stuart_woolford/ storque.html

Joshua

its all speculation as to what exactly caused them to blow. soft alloy as the head, low torqued head bolts, tight bore to bore and coolant gallerie tolerances, bad designed gasket...who knows?? i know i rebuilt my 7mge 20,000km ago and torqued it down to 73 ft lbs...and i have flogged the tits off it to have no repeat problems as yet...touch wood Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: 7mge computer pin outs.
Next Topic:HELP!!! CELICA!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 14:00:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044341087341309 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.