Toymods » Tech & Conversions » odd 'fluid' noise from cold gearbox

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
odd 'fluid' noise from cold gearbox Sat, 02 August 2003 06:56 Go to next message
every time i start my car from cold (has a 3k and 5 speed) when i rev it to about 1500rpm as it reaches oil pressure theres this sound from the gearbox like the gearbox oil is being squished around or something. its really werid, it only happens when its cold and this is before i even take off! it goes away after like 5 seconds but its just so strange. the gearbox was making some crazy bearing noises up until recently because it has been abused... im not really that fussed if it breaks, im more curious to know what the sound is!

anyone else had this?
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: odd 'fluid' noise from cold gearbox Sat, 02 August 2003 14:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it still there if you hold your foot on the clutch while/after you start it Evil or Very Mad
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: odd 'fluid' noise from cold gearbox Sat, 02 August 2003 16:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep doesnt matter if the clutch is in or out

its the craziest noise i ever heard
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: odd 'fluid' noise from cold gearbox Sun, 03 August 2003 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kind of sounds like you have put to much oil in the engine and the cheeks on the crank are slapping the oil as they come down.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: odd 'fluid' noise from cold gearbox Sun, 03 August 2003 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pro_ke wrote on Sun, 03 August 2003 02:24

yep doesnt matter if the clutch is in or out
its the craziest noise i ever heard

Heya Alex,
well, if it happens with the clutch in, it definitely isn't from the gearbox, since the layshaft is not turning with the clutch in. it must be coming from the motor, since it is the only thing spinning with car stationery, motor on, clutch in.
i agree, sounds like crank slapping oil. what grade of oil are you using? stuff like 20W will be pretty thick in cold winter morning starts.

try using something decent like 10W or 5W as it will be much thinner when cold.

i like 5W-50 since it is pretty thin when cold, and doesn't thin out when out, less internal friction and less waiting for oil to warm up (since warm up is to wait for it to thin out so you get proper supply to bearings.. and metal pat expansion for clearances etc)

check oil level, check oil is still oil Wink (not sludge) and if all else fails, use thinner oil.
Good luck,
Cya, Stewart
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: odd 'fluid' noise from cold gearbox Sun, 03 August 2003 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i could swear its coming from the gearbox but what you guys say would make sense

it is running low on oil if anything, dont know what the oil is, just the one that i found in the shed Very Happy

if it blows up i hope it makes a big BANG sound!!!

ab
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: odd 'fluid' noise from cold gearbox Mon, 04 August 2003 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Supra makes fluid noises when there's air in the coolant system, and it sounds like it's coming from the gearbox but it's actually coming from the heater core (ie just above the gearbox). Just another possibility...
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: odd 'fluid' noise from cold gearbox Mon, 04 August 2003 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aaaaaaaaaah actually that will explain everything. ill run the system with the cap off the radiator this afternoon and see how we go

ab
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: odd 'fluid' noise from cold gearbox Tue, 05 August 2003 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
norbie - problem solved, it was a bit of air in the cooling system that was getting forced thru the heater core

nice!

ab
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: odd 'fluid' noise from cold gearbox Tue, 05 August 2003 07:15 Go to previous message
I like simple fixes. Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Shocks - koni yellows Vrs Bilstein B6's
Next Topic:Need Advice on Sprinter Conversion!!!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:51:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045230388641357 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.