Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
pilot
Occasional Poster

August 2003

From Argentina Sat, 09 August 2003 15:30 Go to next message
Hello people, I am a Celica fan from Argentina and I am trying to buy an 1981 liftback with a 18R-G in a couple of months.

Till this moment, this is the best one I found:

Pics here: broken links Sad

Please, tell me if I am wrong in the designation of this model; I have researched and I think it is the 140HP model with one of the best heads a 18R-G can get (88270). Also it is a DOHC engine with 8valves, right? the compression ratio (CR) is 9,7:1.

I would like you to tell me if there is something missing or wrong that could be observed from this pics.

Also, info on the items that should be carefully checked in this particular car for wear and/or damage will be very helpful.

Orior to buying it, I would like to test compression in the cylinders and measure the oil ressure. I found in a manual that the oil pressure should be, at least, 0,8kg/cm^2 (12PSI) at idle is this correct? do you have any other values for the same engine speed or even at a diferent one?
Didn´t found yet a minimum value for the compression test, but based on its compression ratio, it is generally calculated that the minimum compressión on the cylinders should be 30% more than the CR; dos this aplies to this engine in particular too? (CR in PSI would be 143PSI + 30% = 185PSI).

Is there any version of a technical manual for the car or engine in digital format? can I get it?

Thanks a lot for your time, guys and I will be around! : )

[Updated on: Wed, 05 October 2005 22:03]

Send a private message to this user    
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: From Argentina Mon, 11 August 2003 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey the engine doesn't look too bad in that. I can't help you much with the specifics of your car though! Sad Exact pressure and stuff. I guess you would need a manual for that. I am not aware of any in digital format for that car. Did you do a search of these forums here for anything to do with the 18R-G?
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: From Argentina Mon, 11 August 2003 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont let people know your ra40 has a F312 sitting in the rear end Smiley =
pilot
Occasional Poster

August 2003

Re: From Argentina Mon, 11 August 2003 16:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RobST162 wrote on Mon, 11 August 2003 23:54

Hey the engine doesn't look too bad in that. I can't help you much with the specifics of your car though! Sad Exact pressure and stuff. I guess you would need a manual for that. I am not aware of any in digital format for that car. Did you do a search of these forums here for anything to do with the 18R-G?

Hi Rob, thanks for the input.
I just want the values, do not need the manual (at least, not yet).

And yes, I have searched and didn´t found what I am looking for (here and around several sites too).
pilot
Occasional Poster

August 2003

Re: From Argentina Mon, 11 August 2003 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman wrote on Mon, 11 August 2003 23:56

dont let people know your ra40 has a F312 sitting in the rear end Smiley =

Hi Bug, can you explain me what exactly is that? (F312) and why is it so good? (or whatever you mean). I guess it is the differential?

Thanks for the input to you too : )
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: From Argentina Tue, 12 August 2003 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
F312 is the diff code

here in australia our celicas came with a smaller and weaker T series rear end and the only limited slip diff available is a TRD item which costs around $1000

with an F series rear end u can run more power thru it and also limited slip diffs are available for a reasonable price that will fit into the F series housing.

unfortunately for us in oz the live axle F series rear end is VERY rare.

coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: From Argentina Tue, 12 August 2003 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you jealous my mark2 has one Cool
pilot
Occasional Poster

August 2003

Re: From Argentina Fri, 15 August 2003 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the explanation, Rob; it gets better! : )

Can anybody help me with some values? for compression test and oil presure (minimum acceptable ones).
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: From Argentina Mon, 18 August 2003 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can't help with comp values but it does have the good head and cams. It is 9.7:1, 140-150 hp model, no pollution crap. Looks ok, just a bit dirty to be inside a showroom I thought. But clean where it counts. If a manual exists in dig format, I can't find it (not that that means much) but I'll probably be digitising one soon.
pilot
Occasional Poster

August 2003

Re: From Argentina Mon, 18 August 2003 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, please let me know if you make it and want to share.

Thanks for the input about the engine.
pilot
Occasional Poster

August 2003

Re: From Argentina Sat, 13 November 2004 19:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello, Im back!
I havent bought the car yet and the specimen I showed before was sold Sad
Happily, I have found 2 RA40s with F313 diffs and 18R-G engines. Also found an 82 RA63 2000GT with a 18R-G in it too. Would u like me to post pictures of the different cars?

I have a question: I have seen that the 82 diff is different (independent suspension). How much better is it compared to an F313 from an RA40?

[Updated on: Sat, 13 November 2004 19:24]

pilot
Occasional Poster

August 2003

NEWS! Thu, 06 October 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I finally bought (last November!) an RA63!
1982 Celica GT which here (Argentina) came with a 18R-G engine, IRS and LSD.

Some pics:
http://www.lestonmail.com.ar/edu/diariocelica/1/images/(004).jpg

http://www.lestonmail.com.ar/edu/diariocelica/1/images/(006).jpg

http://www.lestonmail.com.ar/edu/diariocelica/1/images/(012).jpg

http://www.lestonmail.com.ar/edu/diariocelica/1/images/(007).jpg

http://www.lestonmail.com.ar/edu/diariocelica/1/images/(013).jpg

http://www.lestonmail.com.ar/edu/diariocelica/1/images/(016).jpg
Dirty_Sanchez
Regular

January 2004

Re: From Argentina Thu, 06 October 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice car. i thought these cars were virtually non existant in Argentina as i've never seen one in the countless times i've been there.
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: From Argentina Thu, 06 October 2005 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
holy shit thats a clean specimen! Shocked
pilot
Occasional Poster

August 2003

Re: From Argentina Thu, 06 October 2005 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont know if that is a joke or not but it is true! Toyota brought 5 of these to show and then start importation and importation possibilities were closed before they started it. I was looking for an RA40 with 18RG (these are pretty common here) but fell in love with the IRS on these baby.
pilot
Occasional Poster

August 2003

Re: From Argentina Thu, 06 October 2005 05:42 Go to previous message
Thank you guys.
It was like that when I got it (almost a year ago). I already started to fix and modify it to my taste Very Happy

[Updated on: Thu, 06 October 2005 05:42]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Paint Job - how much do you think it's worth?
Next Topic:wanted: picture of the corolla 'gti twin cam 16' sticker
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 09:43:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0078189373016357 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.