Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » N/A exhaust diameter and decreasing diameters vs flow.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
N/A exhaust diameter and decreasing diameters vs flow. Thu, 14 August 2003 08:30 Go to next message
I was just wondering if there is any benefit in using an exhaust system diameter that gradually gets smaller as it moves towards the tip. Theory being that the gas cools as it moves along and thus creates less velocity towards the end of the system than at the start when it was really warm, requiring a larger diameter to move the expanded gas.

I was thinking extractors-> 3inch -> 2.75inch -> 2.5inch

Just a thought, any ideas?
  Send a private message to this user    
boudan
Regular

June 2003
Re: N/A exhaust diameter and decreasing diameters vs flow. Thu, 14 August 2003 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Also factor in the effect of turbulence...

unless it could be down with one pipe instead of 3 chopped pieces then you could be slowing down the air flow hence defeating the purpose...

But in theory a decreasing pipe diametre would boost exhaust gas exit speed.. perhaps?
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: N/A exhaust diameter and decreasing diameters vs flow. Thu, 14 August 2003 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

unless it could be down with one pipe instead of 3 chopped pieces

wtf?!?!
boudan
Regular

June 2003
Re: N/A exhaust diameter and decreasing diameters vs flow. Thu, 14 August 2003 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message

** Done with one pipe...

having over / under joins in the pipe work would slow / disrupt air flow Smile
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: N/A exhaust diameter and decreasing diameters vs flow. Thu, 14 August 2003 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's what a lot of performance cars are now using

Big hp cars (350+) that are for go, not show, are using a 4" dump pipe (or the biggest available), down to a 2.5" system after the cat (with the cat shifted back if flow is impeded).

on a small n/a there's not a huge point, as there isn't that much exhaust gas anyhoo
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: N/A exhaust diameter and decreasing diameters vs flow. Thu, 14 August 2003 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well it wont be a small n/a application 270-300hp @ flywheel

270hp is the more realistic figure
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: N/A exhaust diameter and decreasing diameters vs flow. Thu, 14 August 2003 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
similar to the tuning pipes of 2 strokes?? they have a continually decreasing pipe (but i think that's for exhaust pulse reflection tho???)

another thing to consider is that as it cools down and becomes more dense, the friction on the smaller pipe wall may also increase.

dunno.... afaia there is not much point having an exhaust after the tuned section. everything else just increases restriction.
true that having a really big pip will mean the exhaust is just dawdling along, but how big do you have to go before this happens??

give it a go and see what happens????
Cya, Stewart

BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: N/A exhaust diameter and decreasing diameters vs flow. Thu, 14 August 2003 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But the final exit pipe diameter is 2.5inch which is no bigger than the whole system would be if it was made one size.

Just thinking that freeing the flow at the top of the pipe, whilst trying to maintain 'some' backpressure may be beneficial to both power and torque.

[Updated on: Thu, 14 August 2003 10:23]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: N/A exhaust diameter and decreasing diameters vs flow. Thu, 14 August 2003 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh K, i'm from a different school of thought...

i reckon that if you need backpressure, then you have too much exhaust scavenging, and the exhaust after the extractors is not the problem...

ideally you want a high degree of scavenging, but when the intake valve has just opened, and just before the fresh charge is about to come out the exhaust valve, you want a positive pressure pulse to hit the exhaust valve to sort of 'plug it up' and stop the fresh mix from escaping. ie pulse tuning, or reflection tuning...

rather than having an exhaust with backpressure to keep the mixture in the cylinder, you could cut down on the valve overlap... or put a resictor valve in the exhaust to create backpressure at lower rpms where the overlap is the biggest problem..... anyway i could babble on for hours Wink
Cya, Stewart

BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: N/A exhaust diameter and decreasing diameters vs flow. Thu, 14 August 2003 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stewart - lay it on me, what is your best suggestion for the system i should use?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: N/A exhaust diameter and decreasing diameters vs flow. Thu, 14 August 2003 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd probably go

good extractors -> 3" -> high flow cat -> 3"-2.5" -> 2.5" -> muffler

extractors are probably the most important. and 3" might be overkill, I dont really know much about n/a exhausts

if that's too noisey, you can add another muffler (not a resonator), which makes it a 3 stage system.

expensive, but good
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: N/A exhaust diameter and decreasing diameters vs flow. Thu, 14 August 2003 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, dont worry about the extractor design, leaving that up to the experts.

And yes, quietness (read: NO DRONE) would be nice.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: N/A exhaust diameter and decreasing diameters vs flow. Thu, 14 August 2003 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you're pushing 300 horsies, drone won't be a large issue.

it'll scream
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: N/A exhaust diameter and decreasing diameters vs flow. Thu, 14 August 2003 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive got nothing against scream Very Happy
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: N/A exhaust diameter and decreasing diameters vs flow. Thu, 14 August 2003 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Thu, 14 August 2003 21:09

Stewart - lay it on me, what is your best suggestion for the system i should use?

ummm, i'll give it a go Wink

what is your:
cam timing (and rpm range it's designed for)
exhaust port size or area (at manifold flange),
what rpm range you want max torque in,
what rpm you will be going up to,
cylinder size and number of cylinders,
what rpm will you be sitting at on the highway and around town? (ie 110-120 and 60-80)

do you have to have a cat? do you have much underfloor space for mufflers?

for my motor:
275/285, 65deg overlap (4000-7000)
24x27mm (6.5cm^2)
4000-7000
330cc x 4
4500 on highway, 4000-4500 around town.

my extractors are 4-2-1, 37mm, 43mm, 50mm (OD's) lengths are 38cm, 38cm, 75cm, then into first resonator (4"x12"). this is designed for pulse tuning between 4500-6500, ie peak at 5500rpm.
Then about 1-1.5m of 50mm pipe to second resonator (taking that buzzy 4cyl noise out), then 50mm mandrel bent over diff housing to a 6x9x15" reverseflow muffler.

my torque peak is at 4600rpm (just above cruising speed) and tails off due to intake restriction. exhuast is much quieter than intake, and starts to resonate a lot at 5300rpm. resonance tails off about 7000rpm.

lemme know your details then i'll get back to you Smile
Cya, Stewart

[Updated on: Thu, 14 August 2003 14:24]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: N/A exhaust diameter and decreasing diameters vs flow. Thu, 14 August 2003 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(quote deleted)
oops..

it's not like i really know what i'm talking about Rolling Eyes i just have my theories.....

the extractors are the most important part as they tune the motor. the rest of the exhaust is there to appease neighbours and police. generally, i'd suggest to run the same diameter as the last collector, with 1 or 2 resonators (good noise abatement vs flow if they are designed right) and then the largest chamber muffler you can fit. a reverse flow in a size or two larger than the pipe will give quieter and smoother sound than a straight thru muffler, but will sacrifice a little flow. if your pipe is 2.5" and you have a reverse flow muffler or turbo muffler with 3" guts, then that will still flow well compared to the 2.5" pipe, and be much quieter than a straight thru.

an exhaust is only as good as it's greatest restriction, and really the biggest restriction will be the cat. have ya seen inside one? it's an array of 0.8-1mm suare holes about 10-12cm long, and must be horrible for fast flowing gases to go thru....

if you have to run one, then the larger the cross section, and the smoother the in/out pipes are, the better...

you don't have to spend a fortune on an exhaust system to get it to be quiet and sound ok, but you might want to try a few different ones till you are happy...
Cya, Stewart

[Updated on: Thu, 14 August 2003 14:32]

BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: N/A exhaust diameter and decreasing diameters vs flow. Fri, 15 August 2003 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha, thats alot of theory i haven't thought about at this stage.

Basically it is going to be a staged approach. Getting the engine in and running stock with the exhaust, then modifying it later on when i have some more $$$. But i just wanted to do the exhaust right the first time.
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: N/A exhaust diameter and decreasing diameters vs flow. Fri, 15 August 2003 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Basically if you set up your engine correctly (cam timing, valve overlaps, etc) and the right extractors, the trick after that is to have the least restrictive exhaust as possible (ideally no exhaust, but that's impractical for the street).
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: N/A exhaust diameter and decreasing diameters vs flow. Sun, 17 August 2003 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Fri, 15 August 2003 11:51

Haha, thats alot of theory i haven't thought about at this stage.

Basically it is going to be a staged approach. Getting the engine in and running stock with the exhaust, then modifying it later on when i have some more $$$. But i just wanted to do the exhaust right the first time.

oki cool.. easiest way to do it Smile
what sort of CFM will your motor be ingesting?? (since exhaust will be proportional to ingoing air) you can compare that with other motors and their recommended exhaust sizes..

i think that about 2" on a 1.3L is a good size....
hmm, 1.3L -> 7000 -> 2"
gives about 3L -> 5000rpm -> 2.56" (assuming they have about the same volumetric efficiency, and simple math between sizes/rpms)
if you were to go to 7000rpm, then 3" might be good...

i'd be guessing that somewhere's between 2.5 and 3" would be ideal... so what are the specs of the grunter motor?? ie size, rpms etc??
Cya, Stewart

BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: N/A exhaust diameter and decreasing diameters vs flow. Mon, 18 August 2003 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3L, longer duration cams (280ish), ported head paying special attention to the flow through the valve seat and exhaust port with general smoothing out, adjustable cam gears, at least a fuel computer and a custom intake. Probably want to take it out to 6000-6500rpm dpeending on cam setup.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: N/A exhaust diameter and decreasing diameters vs flow. Mon, 18 August 2003 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BlackSupra wrote on Mon, 18 August 2003 12:47

3L, longer duration cams (280ish), ported head paying special attention to the flow through the valve seat and exhaust port with general smoothing out, adjustable cam gears, at least a fuel computer and a custom intake. Probably want to take it out to 6000-6500rpm dpeending on cam setup.

sounds like a nice plan Smile
i would hazard a guess that you'd want to go closer to 3" or at least 2.75" diameter, all the way from extractors back. you may need to experiment with different muffler/resonator setups to find one that sounds to your liking..... give a few exhaust shops a call to see what they'd recommend, and don't let anyone tell you that you need backpressure to work properly Wink
as was said before, it's the extractors that tune the motor, and the exhaust is there to quieten things down and kep the gases away from the passengers.....
if you ar ein ydney (or can call from work Wink ) give Australias Best Muffler Service a call (canterbury road, sydney) a call, as they seem to give prety good advice.
Cya, Stewart
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: N/A exhaust diameter and decreasing diameters vs flow. Mon, 18 August 2003 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3" is overboard for that engine...

way overboard

2.5" is where i'd be looking

this is what i calculated for the 7m (and keep in mind the 2.85" is the Collector dia, not the oulet pipe diameter):

http://www4.tpg.com.au/users/loats/toymods/func28248.gif

[Updated on: Mon, 18 August 2003 14:29]

gmsta27
Regular

February 2003
Re: N/A exhaust diameter and decreasing diameters vs flow. Mon, 18 August 2003 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Once past the collector the smallest diameter pipe put into an exhaust system will be like the whole system being that diameter. For instance with a 2.5 in collector and a 2.5 inch pipe then reduced after the cat to 2 inches will be like putting a 2 inch pipe from the collector. While the pressure after the stepdown will increase, the volume will not increase accordingly. giving the effect of a 2 inch pipe all the way through.

[Updated on: Mon, 18 August 2003 18:33]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: N/A exhaust diameter and decreasing diameters vs flow. Tue, 19 August 2003 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not exactly.... the collector diameter and length is usually sized for the reflection of the exhaust pulse (or sound wave) rather than flow, and will often seem a little large. i would wager that a 3" inlet/outlet cat would be more restrictive than a 2.5" pipe... i can take a pic of the cat material tomorrow if ya like Wink awful stuff...

Ed, would you like to share your formulas for those calculations?? i'm very interested to see what would be recommended for my motor.. see how far off i am Wink
Cya, Stewart
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: N/A exhaust diameter and decreasing diameters vs flow. Tue, 19 August 2003 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed - does this not say that your collecter is 2.85inch an not 2.5?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: N/A exhaust diameter and decreasing diameters vs flow. Tue, 19 August 2003 11:13 Go to previous message
yes, it does say that the collector should be 2.85"

but the collector is not the final pipe, its the 'plenum' so to speak of the exhaust system, and as you know, your plenum is far bigger than any piece of your intake pipe...

so, a 2.85" collector, should happily feed into a 2.5" pipe to the back of the car...

stewart - i used a nice little website to calcuate that graph. lots of formulas. lots of java, it was great - pity i cant find it...

ill keep looking

cheers
ed
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:7MGE bore spacing and overbore limit
Next Topic:TA22 Indicators and 2TG Tensioner
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 02:39:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010787010192871 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar