Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 3SFE -> 3SGTE conversion

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Zz24hours
Occasional Poster

July 2003
icon5.gif  3SFE -> 3SGTE conversion Mon, 18 August 2003 09:37 Go to next message
Hey

having the opppurtunity to buy a 3SGTE engine i have decided to realize my project of putting af 3SGTE into my Corona '92 (In Danish, named Carina) which normally is powered by af a 3SFE

Now I don't know whether or not the 3SFE is being used in Australia or if anyone have even tried this conversion.

The matter is that I've got two 3SGTE engines from Celica ST165 '89 to choose from .. the one is standard, and complete with everything except the Turbo

The other isn't interely complete, but has several new parts, a TwinEntry Turbo, comes with e.g. a almost new TRD-Clutch and furthermore haven't run as much

On top of that the Danish rules are pretty strict, which means that I just can't legally put the complete 3SGTE engine into my car, with box, wires and everything. Therefore I would rather pair up my original top and box, whith the 3SGTE - if possible - thus making it less visible Razz

any advice and "how to do's" Rolling Eyes

http://www.skeldahl.dk/coppermine/albums/userpics/DHB2003/DHB097.jpg
  Send a private message to this user    
crazy_camry
Regular

April 2003
Re: 3SFE -> 3SGTE conversion Tue, 19 August 2003 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 3s-fe's and 3s-gte's share the same block, so in theory you could put it into your engine, along with the head. just thinking, you have a late model 3s-fe with more kw, so it may be different to my one, but it should be relatively the same. so thats what i'd do, put the internals, head and turbo onto the block, along with little external things (like the oil cooler on the oil filter mount etc). i'd say change the gearbox as well, as there is a difference between 104kw and 157kw. if your gearbox is auto then it will definately be changed.

i'm just turboing my 3s-fe ATM, and hopefully later will 'transform' it into a 3s-gte
Zz24hours
Occasional Poster

July 2003
Re: 3SFE -> 3SGTE conversion Tue, 19 August 2003 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kind a got confused there, as you are both talking about putting block and head from the 3SGTE into my car but then you suggest using the internals, head and turbo onto the original block?

For starters I'll try using the original (manual) gearbox, the car is not to be used doing quartermiles constantly, if it can't stand it, then so be it Smile

I have a buddy up here (actually, its him in the Blue Corona besides mine in the picture) who have put a CT26 onto his 3SFE, some oversize pistons I believe to lower comp. .. later they concluded that it didn't and took of some mm. of the pistons anyways (meaning that the original pistons would have been just as reliable)

He didn't do much more to the engine itself, which have run 300.000 km. at this point. Since this "operation" the car have done 30.000 km at 251 hp and a torque of (as I remember) 330 with no problems - well, at the present time the turbo is defect which is why it "only" did 225 hp at the last dyno Razz

Naturally he is using a system for the injection .. what would that be called ind English?
crazy_camry
Regular

April 2003
Re: 3SFE -> 3SGTE conversion Tue, 19 August 2003 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no sorry what i meant was use the original 3s-fe block, and put the 3s-gte epuipment in/onto it. i have no definate knowledge that it will work, it would probably just be easier doing a whole swap-but you said it couldn't be done so this may be the only way.

what boost is your friend running? thats the same thing i'm doing (CT26 onto 3s-fe).
Zz24hours
Occasional Poster

July 2003
Re: 3SFE -> 3SGTE conversion Tue, 19 August 2003 09:35 Go to previous message
legally it isn't the block I'm afraid of .. as you say its (practically) the same on SFE and SGTE and they'll have to look closely to find out

It's more top, injection, ECU and wirering

The problem is that legally you cannot increase power by more than 20% which would actually mean that I kan put a 3SGE into my car without getting into problems Wink .. complete conversion of wirering and ECU will also pose a problem, as the car "will chance identity" - which is also illegal without paying "taxes" of the new identity

Therefor I was thinking in ways of using the original ECU and wirering .. adding a system to control fuelinjection by certain RPM's

The oilcooling of the pistons in the SGTE .. does this function through the block or the top? Embarassed

I think my buddy is boosting at approx. 1 bar / 14.5 psi .. maybe its 1.1 bar / 15.95 psi .. I'll ask him later Wink ... He's probably lucky his engine can withstand this Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Silicon Coating on Tyres?
Next Topic:Fuel tanks
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 06:19:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053219795227051 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.