Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Blown Head Gasket !!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Blown Head Gasket !!!! Sat, 20 September 2003 07:55 Go to next message
Anyone know how to get the thermo fans on a mkiii supra going to make sure they are working.
Car is overheating and i don't think they are kicking in at all to help cool it.
Is there a way to get them running at idle to make sure they work???
Brett.

[Updated on: Mon, 22 September 2003 06:31]

Send a private message to this user    
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70 thermo fans Sat, 20 September 2003 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you checked that they're not dead? By running a direct power signal through them from the battery, you can tell if the motors go...
If they do go, perhaps theres something wrong with the thermal switch which turns them on and off at certain temperatures.

I was pretty sure the two smaller fans on the inside were only to aid cooling when it got really hot, and the bigger electric one for the a/c.
Are the fans you're talking about - the 6.5" ones on the inside of the rad, or the bigger one on the front for the a/c?

[Updated on: Sat, 20 September 2003 08:48]

Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: MA70 thermo fans Sat, 20 September 2003 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Both the ac fan and the radiator one. I have nt seen either in operation.
Aren't these fans conectted to some type of ecu.
Would direct powering them be safe and not damage anything???
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: MA70 thermo fans Sat, 20 September 2003 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just disconnect them from the normal power source (plug/ wiring to wherever it goes) and plug a direct +- signal from the battery. Its in no way harmful to the fans. They wouldnt be hooked up to the ecu, as they're thermally controlled from a sensor switch - much like all cars today running thermo fans.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA70 thermo fans Mon, 22 September 2003 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Helmann wrote on Sat, 20 September 2003 17:55

Anyone know how to get the thermo fans on a mkiii supra going to make sure they are working.
Car is overheating and i don't think they are kicking in at all to help cool it.
Is there a way to get them running at idle to make sure they work???
Brett.

Mate i would be worryed about that if i was you! if the engine fan alone will not cool the engine you dont want to know what that could meen!

Allan
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: MA70 thermo fans Mon, 22 September 2003 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My radiator was blocked 80% no shit. Seriously if its not the <whisper>head gasket</whisper> then go and get your radiator serviced properly - take it out of the car yourself and around to a radiator place, they take the tanks off and shove rods down it or something like that, not just a chemical clean! I think it cost me $80(can't remember though), and now its absolutely beautiful!! My two little fans have crapped out, but the big thermo one is enough to cool the 4L beast. The radiator place was shocked, they said it would cost another $50 to get them to remove it (they were also worried about my wiring/different engine). I drove it around the corner and was back within 10 minutes (5 minute walk). They couldn't believe it was the same radiator, took me a few minutes to convice them.

I say this to every MA70 owner, get your radiator serviced. Will save a headache. Good for peace of mind.
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Blown Head Gasket !!!! Mon, 22 September 2003 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The radiator is good. Professionally flushed not too long ago.
And yes allan i do have a blown head gasket. Even with a meatal head gasket. I am just trying to preserve it as long as possible till i get some money together to fix it.
Have been using some chemi-weld in her and it has slowed it a bit.
Would like some more cooling for her tho.
Now i just need money for a 1jz front cut.

So next question is - Can anybody do a 1jz swap with a jza70 front cut.
I do not have alot of mechanical skill but i just need to know if there is any major difficulties or if it is just undo all bolts, move to other car, redo all bolts?

Brett.

[Updated on: Mon, 22 September 2003 06:33]

lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Blown Head Gasket !!!! Mon, 22 September 2003 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From the pic it looks like you have a post '88 supra, so it won't be too bad. A lot of stuff will bolt straight in - the only body modding I had to do was to fit the p/s cooling line (enlarge existing hole).

I was actually surprised how many times I went to bolt a jza part in my ma70 and the bolt hole (with captive nut) was already there, just unused or covered by a plug.

Wiring it all up nicely is a different story though. Also you'll probably find heaps of little problems (like shitty/cracked engine mounts) that you'll need to fix along the way. Factor in the time to remove the enging from the half-cut and your car too - unplugging everything and making sure it doesn't get damaged when the engine goes in.
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: Blown Head Gasket !!!! Mon, 22 September 2003 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will all the electrical plug behind the firewall be the same or will i need to do some rewiring???
My ma70 is a nov 88 model. First of the revised ones.
I know that i will definately have to swap the crossmember over.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Blown Head Gasket !!!! Mon, 22 September 2003 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude do not run chemi-weld for too long, its not ideal for the engines parts!
If its concerning you greatly - Do you want to bring it to the southside, and i can give you a hand checking the thermos and cooling system? Pm me if you want to go further.
dispatcher
Regular

July 2002
Re: Blown Head Gasket !!!! Mon, 22 September 2003 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've a 1G-TT. The Electrical/Mini Fan behind the Radiator, come on at the same time when the thermal switch activates them. IF it's not a bad switch, then a fuse or relay has died. Take care in finding the cause.

cheers
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: Blown Head Gasket !!!! Mon, 22 September 2003 20:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just wanna prolong the engines life a extra week or two.
Am talking to bank today or tomorrow and hopefully will get some extra money and 1j my baby.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Blown Head Gasket !!!! Mon, 22 September 2003 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You will have to do some re-wiring to make sure the 1jz ECU is getting the signals from the speedo, aircon etc. If you get a jza70 front cut (the only way to go) then you can graft the jza underdash plugs onto the exisiting ma70 loom (and you shouldn't need to cut any plugs off the ma70 if your electrician is any good). If you car has TEMS you need to get those outputs from the ecu as well. Depending on your dash, you might need to change the tacho as well.

All this is not impossible considering the wealth of info on the forum these days, and there is a site where all the jza-70 pinouts are listed (can't remember it though). Also under the bonnet will need some re-wiring to fit the jza-70 main fuse box etc. My car (was NA ma70) needed to use the jza-70 air-con compressor as well. Consider fitting a remote oil filter (and cooler) kit when you put the engine in too, changing it on the 1jz is a bitch of a job.
Stenno
Regular

March 2003

Re: Blown Head Gasket !!!! Tue, 23 September 2003 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Being an 88 model, It's a simple case of swapping the whole thing over, engine, crossmember, engine wiring and chassis wiring loom - minor soldering is required.

Wastegate off these forums has done the swap, he'll be able to supply more detailed information than me as I've only done the 2J swap.
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: Blown Head Gasket !!!! Tue, 23 September 2003 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the dash from the front cut is the same as mine, should i not be able to swap all the dash as well so all connectors are the proper ones? ie. no soldering.
Then it would simply be a case of undo all bolts and take out everthing from front cut and put it all in the original.
Then turn ket and drive.

Also i have heard that jza70 intercoolers are bigger? Is that true?
What about the radiator, is that bigger too?
And aren't the front disc 330mm instead of 300mm on the MA70?

About what sorta price should i expect to pay for the front cut with low kms and an auto???

Thanx all, Brett.

wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: Blown Head Gasket !!!! Tue, 23 September 2003 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes if you change the dash and wiring on the dash and behind the dash then it will be a plug and play affair. It's a hell of alot of work though! I did it this way. Ripped out all my dash and rewired the whole lot from the front cut. If you have tems shocks anymore it's a good time to rip out all the wiring for that as well.

Yes the JZA70 Intercoolers are bigger.
But it doesn't make up for how shit they are.

JZA70 OEM Cooler is:

550mm Wide
330mm High
70mm Deep
55mm Piping

MA70 OEM Cooler is:

470mm Wide
300mm High
60mm Deep
45mm Piping

Some Comparisons photos I took:
http://jzgte.com/images/tech/jza70cooler_ma70cooler.jpg
http://jzgte.com/images/tech/jza70cooler_ma70cooler_side.jpg

Radiator is the same size and thickness, however the top and bottom are alittle different. Takes a different rad cap too.

Brake discs are the same, some people that don't know what they are talking about "beleive" the R Spec JZA70 has bigger rotors. The JZA70 R Spec I got for a front cut had the very same rotors as my Aus Spec MA71.

For an Auto I wouldn't pay anymore than $2500.

I paid $3500 + shipping for my JZA70 R Manual.
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: Blown Head Gasket !!!! Tue, 23 September 2003 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wastegate, where did u get your front cut from?
Also would u be willing to help if i get stuck? (usual payment in beer of course).
Actually that offer is open to anyone who knows what they are doing?

I was planning of respraying the engine bay and interior bits and pieces at the same time so taking out the dash will be the way i go anyway.
With a twin turbo setup do u need twin bleed values?

I don't have tems shocks anymore. Got koni yellows in there but the tems ecu is still instaled (works like a trash meter).
I don't have the strut top controllers either.

Brett.
wastegate
Regular

May 2002

Re: Blown Head Gasket !!!! Tue, 23 September 2003 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I can help out if you need it.

Don't think you will need a bleed valve, not yet anyway Very Happy but you run one bleed valve that Tees off to the two actuators.

Well if you are terring out the interior you may aswell get rid off the wiring and computer for the tems too (dead weight). You don't use those back speakers do you?

I got my cut from Jap Parts in Adelaide in the end very good service. But if I was to do it again I would deal with Rolin on the Coast, less hassles for interstate and you can see the cut yourself. They have sold 4 frontcuts to my friends now and are all happy.

Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: Blown Head Gasket !!!! Tue, 23 September 2003 08:29 Go to previous message
Heard lots of good stuff about rollin but checked thier web site yesterday and they did not list any jza70 auto cuts.
Have heard they dont do many auto cuts.
I might have a line on a mates rates jza70 auto cut as it is. (fingers crossed for steve!)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Whats wrong with my diff???
Next Topic:which 4age is it?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 03:23:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060069561004639 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.