Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Mazda626
Regular

June 2003

5ME Help, 84 Cressida Fri, 10 October 2003 10:33 Go to next message
OK bassicaly its running like shit...we are only getting 7km/litre out of it.

we just spent 3,000 on the engine for a complete rebuild..as it spun a big end and one problem led to another.

All up we have spent close too or over 7,000 for it.

2,500 out right
1,000 for the air cond
3,000 for the rebuild
any many times in the auto electricans to get the air cond working plus other stuff.

we are not going to be givin up on the car now as if we sell it we would only get close too 3k at the most !

When it starts up she coughs a little smoke which i think is due too the automatic choke stuffing up and it would really do anything too its got a bit of heat in the engine.. i mean get too 2.5k and it splutters...

So what are people getting out of there 5ME ? personally i think 9-10km/litre should be acheivable..

the ecu cannot be adjusted? so when they tune it they just adjust the idle auto choke and air flow ?

thanks Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5ME Help, 84 Cressida Fri, 10 October 2003 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is 7k/L city driving? If so its not terrible (pretty well standard), did you get the injectors cleaned when you rebuilt the engine? Bear in mind 5M-E's are not the most fuel economic motor ever built!

Nope the ECU can not be adjusted. Mad (no idea what they do to tune it, prbly just play with the idle mixture and thats it)

Does it idle up at all when its cold, the way the "auto choke" is done on the 5M-E's is via an ABV? If it doesn't seem to idle up the ABV (air bypass valve) is prbly stuffed (mine was and I think its pretty common), if you want one I have a spare I'll sell (made a huge difference!) Smile .

Cheers
Wilbo
Mazda626
Regular

June 2003

Re: 5ME Help, 84 Cressida Fri, 10 October 2003 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i assume the injectors where cleaned when the engine was rebuilt..

I know the 5ME isnt the best for the fuel but it has to be better then this !

7km/litre was in high way driving its worse around the town.

The idle doesnt really change at all..so it could be the ABV..

How much are the ABV's worth ?
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5ME Help, 84 Cressida Fri, 10 October 2003 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ask Toyota and they will tell you an ABV is worth $220 Shocked

Yeah 7k/l on the high way isn't real good I get about 9k/l on highway work, about 7-8k/l city as a bench mark. The ABV shouldn't have anything to do when the engine is warmed up tho....maybe you problem is elsewhere? What sort of revs is it doing at say 110kph, maybe the auto is slipping (mine does about 2400 rpm I think), injector stuck open?

How does $25 plus postage for an ABV sound?

Cheers
Wilbo
thunderbird1
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5ME Help, 84 Cressida Fri, 10 October 2003 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey dude... no offence but u should stop spending money on a shit motor like a 5m and if your not into turbos, put a na 1j or a na 2j in it. For the money u spent you could have had this or better by now.

5m's can be fixed but they will just screw up again not far down the track.

Luke
Mazda626
Regular

June 2003

Re: 5ME Help, 84 Cressida Fri, 10 October 2003 18:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thunderbird1 wrote on Sat, 11 October 2003 01:14

hey dude... no offence but u should stop spending money on a shit motor like a 5m and if your not into turbos, put a na 1j or a na 2j in it. For the money u spent you could have had this or better by now.

5m's can be fixed but they will just screw up again not far down the track.

Luke

Its not my car its my Grandparents. they dont want a fast car. they dont need a a fast car. All they need is a reliable car. They wouldnt of spent the money unless they had it.

Willbo - Its also pretty rattly like tappets or something..so when i get sometime ill check it for them...any way of testing this ABV ? and if it is stuffed ill grab that one off you if its all good Smile at 80km/h its doing little over 2100rpm its got the overdrive in. Which wont affect fuel consumption Smile

Also i might check the injectors to see that they are working fine aswell you never know Wink

thanks for the help Smile
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5ME Help, 84 Cressida Sat, 11 October 2003 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://members.iinet.net.au/~tigerbeer/zeRo/Air%20Bypass%20Valve.jpg

So yeah basically if you take the hoses off it (assuming you know what it looks like! if not I'll send you a pic of where its located) and look down it to see if its open when the car is cold, the check when its hot to see if its closed, my bet is its closed all the time.

To test the injectors get a long screwdriver and use it as a stethoscope on the injectors. Might be worth checking the Cold Start injector as well, its located on the inlet manifold up the top middle right as you look at the car from the front. Its two screws to remove, then get a jar and get someone to crank the engine and see if it sprays a nice jet of fuel (maybe its leaking?).

Cheers
Wilbo
thunderbird1
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5ME Help, 84 Cressida Sat, 11 October 2003 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey dude... get your grandpa to invest in a NONTURBO! 1j or 2j... it won't go too hard for him but it sure as hell will never break down again!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5ME Help, 84 Cressida Sat, 11 October 2003 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Clean the injectors, set the valve clearances, gap the plugs, make sure the cam timing is right, check the ignition timing.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 5ME Help, 84 Cressida Sat, 11 October 2003 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7l/100km!
thats awesome,
ima closer to 20l/100km
it sucks big time.
but thats city drivin with occasional heavy foot
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5ME Help, 84 Cressida Sat, 11 October 2003 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
str8 2.8 its 7km per litre not 7L/100km. - slight difference

welcome to world of shit economy / shit performance - this is the 5me's forte.

your economy is not far from average for a 5me.

when I first start mine up when its cold and you give it a rev(no load) it gets to 2.5K and starts to splutter. I just ignore it, start driving and its fine - never misses when you have it under load.

I reckon its the injectors being dirty - cold start may also be leaking when cold causing a rich miss. - who knows, ill sort it out one day.

if it bothers you too much do as GT says and tune it then systematically trace the fault yourself , or send it to the mechanic - whats another $500 when your so far in already Razz
Mazda626
Regular

June 2003

Re: 5ME Help, 84 Cressida Sat, 11 October 2003 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When they rebuilt it they didnt go over the efi or anything just the basic's....

For now they will put up with it Smile ill take it back to the place if got reconditioned and complain Smile

thanks for the input...
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 5ME Help, 84 Cressida Sun, 12 October 2003 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

str8 2.8 its 7km per litre not 7L/100km. - slight difference

Embarassed ooops,
mm thats still sweet tho
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 5ME Help, 84 Cressida Sun, 12 October 2003 09:47 Go to previous message
Get the injectors cleaned/tested, make shure the cold start injector is not leaking fuel into the engine and check all the above mentioned items too!

make shure muffer hasnt colapsed internaly too

Allan

P.S i got 63rwkw out of my 5m-e on a shit lpg setup that ran 16.5:1AFR Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ACK ! HELP .... Flame out the air intake of an EFI car ?? WTF ?
Next Topic:4age bigport TVIS
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 03:57:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059628486633301 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.