Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
icon10.gif  5 stud conv. for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Now MA61 BBK :-) Tue, 14 October 2003 01:14 Go to next message
Hi everyone,

I know that there is a good tech article (have read it and it is very good) on converting the front hubs from 4 stud to 5 stud, but has anyone done anything with the rears ?

Or do you just re-drill them ?

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

Michael B

[Updated on: Wed, 14 January 2004 00:17]

Send a private message to this user    
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Tue, 14 October 2003 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
use crown ms123 rear hubs and rotors (uses stock ma61 caliipers)

i just havent written the article yet Very Happy
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Tue, 14 October 2003 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whhhooooowwwweeeee Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Now I can get a decent selection of mags. Thanks god Ford took a long time to realise that minimal offset is crappy in most suspension geometry terms. Rolling Eyes

Thanks Ed, I was hoping that it was something really simple Very Happy

Next question is, what year was the MS123 Crown, and how hard is it to get the parts ?

Front hubs are easy to change, but what are the rears like ?

Thanks in advance

Michael B
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Tue, 14 October 2003 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll need to take the rear trailing arms of both the MS123 and the MA61 and get the hubs pressed off them. You'll then need to get the MS123 hubs pressed onto the MA61 trailing arms.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Tue, 14 October 2003 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers for that Ed and Frank.

Now the fun part will be to find a MS123 and do some serious damage.

Anyone know of the location of one, particularly in Adelaide ???

Cheers

Michael B
c2888
Regular

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Tue, 14 October 2003 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This makes me very happy, I always see nice wheels on E-series Falcon. Namely Simmons with a huge shiney rim, and i always see them for sale in the trading post.

Now I don't have to fight to get the 2 remaining sets of 4x114.3 in a low offset. Laughing

Big thanks to all who did all the leg work.

Daniel
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Tue, 14 October 2003 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here here.

Makes the availability of new or 2nd hand rims much easier !!!!

Now to find a damned MS123

Ed and Frank,
I am assuming that they (MS123)are IRS as well, so does the whole rear subframe need to be removed, or just the outer arms ?

Cheers

Michael B
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Tue, 14 October 2003 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Should just be the rear trailing arms (wishbone looking things), they should unbolt.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Tue, 14 October 2003 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Frank and Ed,

Cruised around to our local friendly (if not expensive) Toyota wrecker, and lo and behold, a MS123. A late '89 model, and may be a Royale

They want $220 per rear swing arm (without discs), $45 each for the rear discs, and $75 each for the front hubs including discs, but will knock off $130 for cash, making it $550 in total. Good price ?

Also, does the whole swing arm swap over ? Rather than press the hubs out, does it or does it not fit ?

Also is the diff useable/interchangeable in the Supra ? Mind you the ratio is a bit high being a F282 (4.30:1)

Cheers

Michael B
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Tue, 14 October 2003 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the diff will be useable but its a single spinner not LSD.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Tue, 14 October 2003 22:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks RA40,

I realised it was a single spinner, but needed confirmation that it is a source of spare gearsets, as it may be handy swap for some hilclimb or track work as a welded centre Smile

Cheers

Michael B
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Tue, 14 October 2003 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On top of my earlier query re the price etc, I now have another couple of questions.

Having just fully read the full Tech article, I would like clarification on some points ;

1. MS110 and MS123 fron hus - the same ?
  2. Are MS65's REALLY rare, or just rare ?
  3. To summarise : Use MA65 front hubs and deal with the disc offset one way or another and use MA61 bearings, or MS123 hubs and sleeve the spindle to take the MS123 bearings ?

Hopefully this amkes sense, as I want to clarify prior to spending money.

Cheers

Michael B
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Wed, 15 October 2003 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Wed, 15 October 2003 08:24

They want $220 per rear swing arm (without discs), $45 each for the rear discs, and $75 each for the front hubs including discs, but will knock off $130 for cash, making it $550 in total. Good price ?

**COUGH**

$$$$$$$$$$$$

crikey - remind not to go to that wrecker...
i paid $60 for the whole rear swingarm assemby inc hubs, but no discs or brakes

and btw - you DONT want ms123/112 front huubs, you want ms65 front hubs, these are the only ones that really work without modification.

bbaacchhyy wrote on Wed, 15 October 2003 08:24

Also, does the whole swing arm swap over ? Rather than press the hubs out, does it or does it not fit ?

no it doesnt just swap over - you must press the hubs out.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Wed, 15 October 2003 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Wed, 15 October 2003 09:17

1. MS110 and MS123 fron hus - the same ?
  2. Are MS65's REALLY rare, or just rare ?
  3. To summarise : Use MA65 front hubs and deal with the disc offset one way or another and use MA61 bearings, or MS123 hubs and sleeve the spindle to take the MS123 bearings ?

1. close but not identical - cant remember exactly
  2. rare, they are aound, just gotta go looking (ps i paid $40 for my pair of front hubs)
  3. correct... and also from memory (is it in the article?) you should be able to get away with using ms112 front rotors on the ms65 hubs and stil use the stock ma61 caipers..

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Wed, 15 October 2003 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Ed,

Thanks a lot for the info and extra clarification.

I thought the prices were pretty high, but good to get clarification on exactly how high Smile (This is also the same wrecker that has a good MA61 that they are going to charge someone $2200 for a front nose cut, front guards and 4 wheel arch flares !!!!)

Bugger about the swingarms not being interchangeable Sad

I'll tee up with the missus to go have a search at our local pick a part wrecker to see what I can find.

I'm planning on doing a large brake upgrade (with Nissan 4 pot calipers) as well later, so the depth of the front hub disc mount is not really a problem.

I'd like to see what your mounting bell looks like for your planned discs. Keep in touch and write that article Very Happy

Thanks again

Cheers

Michael B
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Wed, 15 October 2003 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive got a CAD of the mounting hat (bell) to run on the ms65 hubs, for use with Wilwood ultralite 32 vane, 310x32mm rotors (am using st205 GT4 celica 4piston calipers)

ill dig it up at home and post it later Smile

cheers
ed
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Wed, 15 October 2003 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I bought my set of MS65 hubs for $40 (or was it $60?) I was lucky, some guy had been advertising Crown parts in the quokka for months.

I've got the CAD for the rotor, but I can't host squat at the moment... Sad
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Wed, 15 October 2003 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like I'll have a bit of looking ahead of me, but I am in no hurry

Thanks for the help again

I'll look forward to the CAD file when someone finds it

Cheers

Michael B
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Wed, 15 October 2003 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whats your e-mail dude, I've got it, but Telstra is royally fucked atm so I can't host it...
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Wed, 15 October 2003 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
michael.bachmann@holden.com.au

Very Happy

Depending on what rims I put on, will depend on the size discs that I fit. It is likely that I will fit 17"x8" and 235/45x17's as they are readily available with a 94 load rating and they are theoretically only 0.9% bigger in diameter.

What are your's and Ed's plans ?

Cheers

Michael B
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Wed, 15 October 2003 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
16x8 (if i can find some cheaply one day)

225/50/16 or 235/45/16

can *just* squeeze 310mm rotors and calipers under them (depending on wheel design)...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Wed, 15 October 2003 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My plan is to initially fit my Rays on as well, they have 5-stud as well, together with ~290mm discs and Subaru 2-piston calipers. Time will tell, I'm still working on the plans for some of it Smile

Later on I'm probably going to go for some 16x7" wheels, but 15" tyres suit my uni student tyre budget Wink
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Wed, 15 October 2003 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The mags I wanted to go with were Performance Superlites in 16x7", and I could get these in 4 x 114.3 with +12mm offset (so far priced at $240 per rim new), but the problem is that I have only found 1 tyre with a 94 or greater load rating in 225/50x16, and that was a V550 Yokohama for about $240 per tyre !!!!!!!

I personally have some 285 x 28mm Alcon discs and really schmick mounting hats (bells) to suit that would be more than ample with the 300Zx 4 pot calipers in 16" rims (can't insert a pic tho ????)

Sorry Nathan, can't open the file that you sent re the hats Crying or Very Sad

Cheers

Michael B

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Wed, 15 October 2003 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed, what program did you make the CAD file in again?

Why do you require a tyre with 94+ load rating?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Wed, 15 October 2003 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
youll need turboCAD to open it (its a CAD file)
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Wed, 15 October 2003 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nathan,

As the MA61 was fitted with a 225/60x14 tyre witha load rating of 94, and unless the tyre placard states otherwise, the load rating of any subsequent tyre MUST be the same if not higher, and this goes for the speed rating as well. Mad Mad

It is illegal for a tyre place to knowingly fit tyres that do not match the tyre placard on the car Very Happy

To make it more stupid, the HSV Monaro with 300kW and 1700kg only has 91 load rated tyres !!!!!!! Rolling Eyes

Bloody shortsighted manufacturers
Razz

Michael B

PS Ed, only have access to the normal AutoCAd

[Updated on: Wed, 15 October 2003 02:21]

SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Wed, 15 October 2003 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm keen to see some pics guys when you get your new rims on, should be pretty yummy Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Wed, 15 October 2003 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe, oh, ok... I don't own an MA61 Smile From memory the Celica XX was lower, my RA60 was only something like 86 going off the tyre placard and the XX was only a little higher.

I don't think you'll find something to exceed the speed rating, the load rating is a little stupid, does everyone here ACTUALLY have tyres with a load rating more than that?

OMG, he has returned! Very Happy
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Fri, 17 October 2003 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Ed and Frank,

I might have located some MS65 front hubs, for $25 each no less, but they are off a 1974 model, rather than '72 ? Is this an issue ?

Cheers

Michael B
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Fri, 17 October 2003 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is the model number exactly MS65? If they are different they are likely to have a different revision number (the 5)
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Fri, 17 October 2003 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolling Eyes

Not sure, I'm waiting for the guy to ring me back, and if it looks promising, I'll head down there on Saturday to have a look/buy if it is right.

So if it is MS65, then '72 - '74 is OK ? Smile

Cheers

Michael B
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Fri, 17 October 2003 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try to just work off the model number as opposed to the year. If Toyota change something mechanically they usually change the revision number.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Fri, 17 October 2003 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
print off the bearing diagrams on my site and take a pair of vernier calipers with you - whatever the hell the hubs are off, verniers are the only way to see if theyll actually fit or ot Smile

cheers
ed
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Sun, 19 October 2003 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi guys,

Headed down to the yard on Sunday morning, and the sight of 4 Shocked , trhats right, 4 MS65's greeted me Very Happy

First one had no hubs left Crying or Very Sad , the second one had DRUMS Confused , but the third and 4th ones were complete Very Happy , but not for much longer.

Now have 4 hubs at the princely sum of $11 each Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Will still have to double check the bearing diameters as per Ed's comment though, but they look OK

No MS123's though, but found another source for the rear hubs - guy reckons that he'll do the pair for $250 instead of the normal $300. Getting closer, but not quite close enough.

Cheers

Michael B

[Updated on: Sun, 19 October 2003 22:18]

STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Mon, 20 October 2003 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy--->
why do u need 225x50's, is that all that will fit?
coz there are several 225x55's that come in 94 or greater load, although they arent much cheaper than $240

[Updated on: Mon, 20 October 2003 02:37]

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Mon, 20 October 2003 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Str8 2.8,

225/50's are the recommended to keep the same rolling dia as the 225/60x14's. (only 0.9% difference in revs/mile).

The 225/55x16's are about 4.5% larger, and tend not to be as performance oriented.

Heaps of 225/60x16's are available as well, but most are typicallty 92 load rated - will attempt to get the engineer to include this in his calcs as aprt of the conversion

Cheers

Michael B
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Mon, 20 October 2003 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i see, cheers matey
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Mon, 01 December 2003 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Ed,

Finally managed to source my MS123 rear hubs for the conversion.

$75 each, and that is with the hubs pressed out Very Happy saves me doing it !!!!!!

I have now got the front hubs, rear hubs, a spare MA61 front strut and MA61 Trailing arms, so here we go .....

Pored over the DBA catalogue last night and worked out a disc combo that should give me 330mm front rotors (28 or 30mm thick with curved vanes) and 294/300 rears.

BBK here we go Evil or Very Mad

Cheers

Michael B
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Mon, 01 December 2003 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
noice!

i too have now sourced an ma61 rear end, and struts also (damn ra60 i dont think will work - too much offset, despite the camber) Smile

what front rotors have you decided upon?

rears- i thought was a bit of a hassle considering the handbrake drum size. i was just content with using the stock ms123 rear rotors Sad what di you decide upon?

let me know how you go getting the rear hubs into the ma61 traling arms. ive not dont it yet and look forward to seeing how it goes Nod

cheers
ed
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Mon, 01 December 2003 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll also be watching your progress with a keen eye. I'm buying a set of 5-stud wheels so I definitely need to do this conversion in the near future! I know where I can get MS123 rear hubs/brakes and I think I've found a set of MS65 front hubs so hopefully I'll be ready to go soon. Smile
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Mon, 01 December 2003 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Mon, 01 December 2003 14:25

noice!

what front rotors have you decided upon?

rears- i thought was a bit of a hassle considering the handbrake drum size. i was just content with using the stock ms123 rear rotors Sad what di you decide upon?

There is a variety of Rotors, but one of the main pairs is for the MA71 Supra and are DBA718A/B (I think, I have it all scribbled down at home Rolling Eyes ) My main constraint is to minimise machining/drilling of the rotor and to have the right thickness for the 300ZX calipers

ed_ma61 wrote on Mon, 01 December 2003 14:25

let me know how you go getting the rear hubs into the ma61 traling arms. ive not dont it yet and look forward to seeing how it goes Nod

cheers
ed

Bugger, I knew there was something that was going to suff me up Mad Normally the DBA catalogue lists them as internal drums when they are, but didn't and the thought raced through my mind as I was searching. Not having had a good look at the calipers, I assumed that they might actually clamp on the disc as per Mitsi Scorpion.

Back to the drawing board...... Sad

The rear upgrade was a nice to have to help balance the fronts, but if it is too hard, I'll just keep the standard rotors but get slotted ones.

What does Jim King do for his ?

I'll try and keep you posted

PS Ed, you mentioned that the MS65 hubs had a greater offset for where the front disc mounts, but from rough measurements, they appears the same as the MS65's ?

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Mon, 01 December 2003 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in a word(s), "brake bias adjustment valve" Nod

disc offset?

i cant excatly remeber, sorry Sad

re: rear handbrake drum, i think youll find the ms123 rotors are the esiest option, and if youre keen, just upgrade the caliper

cheers
ed
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Mon, 01 December 2003 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MA61 has a 167mm internal drum hand brake. The Celica ST205 rear rotor is 170mm and the Mercedes 500SL rear rotor is 165mm. It's quite easy to just get the MA61 internal drum shoes radius ground to 165mm.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Mon, 01 December 2003 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the info Mr Tomato !!!

If anything, I prefer to keep things standard as it saves on cost and hassle, but then again, how often do you replace handbrake shoes ?

I'll have another study of the DBA catalogue again

Cheers

Michael B
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Mon, 01 December 2003 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, you won't find that info in the DBA manual. That came from my trusty Vernier calipers.
supra1jz
Regular

October 2003
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Mon, 01 December 2003 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys I've done the conversion and I've been driving on it for about a year. I have to say the front is no problem whatsoever but the rears I'm not happy with. Because of the extra width of the ms123 drums it narrows down the purchase on the studs and it also doesn't fit quite right on the handbrake side of things. It also makes the calipers hard up against the disc because of the extra width and I had to space mine out about 1mm to stop the handbrake shoes from locking the rear wheels in place. I'm going to order some ma61 rear discs from DBA and ask that they drill them in 5x114.3 stud pattern as this is the only way I know that I can eliminate these problems. DBA will do this won't they?????
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Mon, 01 December 2003 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Those prices are ludicrous. I paid about 1/3 of that for a COMPLETE rear end from an IRS Toyota - the whole damn lot!

There is an MS123 locally (Brisbane) but by the time you pay postage it will be quite expensive anyway.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Mon, 01 December 2003 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
supra1jz wrote on Mon, 01 December 2003 20:57

Guys I've done the conversion and I've been driving on it for about a year. I have to say the front is no problem whatsoever but the rears I'm not happy with. Because of the extra width of the ms123 drums it narrows down the purchase on the studs and it also doesn't fit quite right on the handbrake side of things. It also makes the calipers hard up against the disc because of the extra width and I had to space mine out about 1mm to stop the handbrake shoes from locking the rear wheels in place. I'm going to order some ma61 rear discs from DBA and ask that they drill them in 5x114.3 stud pattern as this is the only way I know that I can eliminate these problems. DBA will do this won't they?????

ahargh! i thought it might be 1.0mm or so out. spacing the caliper is a perfectly safe and viable option though. did you do the conversion as i have suggested, or did you go about things a different way?

any problems with the ma61 bearings and arms on the ms123 hubs?

can you be more specfifc on some of the prblems you had, ie drum and stud issues?

for all us about to do this, would be great to know.

cheers
ed

[Updated on: Mon, 01 December 2003 12:58]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Mon, 01 December 2003 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MA61 rear rotors are only available as 4 x 114.3mm. I tried getting some as undrilled blanks abut 18 months ago with no luck. DBA informed me that they only come as drilled rotors.
supra1jz
Regular

October 2003
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Mon, 01 December 2003 14:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed,
I did the conversion as you suggested and it all goes together ok in relation to the bearings and the hubs etc. The problem lies with the crown discs being a greater depth than the supra ones. They go on but I had to put some washers in to space the disc off the hand brake shoes otherwise it would lock it up. This spacing then pushes the disc onto the outer side of the brakes caliper(just). The greater depth of the crown discs givess you a lot less threads on the wheel studs which can be cured by fitting longer studs but for me that means getting it all pressed off again which means new bearings $$$. Basically it gets them on there and it's 5 stud but it's not as good as getting supra discs in 5 stud which would solve everything. However the fronts are 100% so no one should have problems there. I hope you don't think I'm being pedantic but the clunkiness off the handbrake and hearing the rear brakes operating is a bit annoying. If I can't get DBA to drill up some 5 stud I think I'll go to a custom set up.
Rich
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Mon, 01 December 2003 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rich,

Thanks for the feedback on this, it will help us all out a lot. It is great to have a pioneer somewhere along the way Very Happy

Will definitely look at longer studs before putting it all together.

Regarding the rear drums, does anyone (particularly those that own a MA70) know if the rear discs have small internal drums for handbrakes and if so, what size ?

Gianttomato : One of ther reasons why I didn't look at the Merc and Celica rotors for the rear is that of the stud pattern issue. Having to redrill rotors or try and get them blank is a PITA. If you can get it in 5 x 114.3, then it is easier from there already

Cheers

Michael B
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Mon, 01 December 2003 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Gianttomato : One of ther reasons why I didn't look at the Merc and Celica rotors for the rear is that of the stud pattern issue. Having to redrill rotors or try and get them blank is a PITA. If you can get it in 5 x 114.3, then it is easier from there already

Mercedes uses 5 x 112 PCD. 0.65mm can be solved with file. I have considered Mercedes rotors especially Vito rotors which look suitable. I have RS-50 front hubs.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Mon, 01 December 2003 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gianttomato and Jayem,

Do you have a DBA number for the Merc rotors ? I agree with the file bit for the holes, but you need to also consider the centre spigot diameter as well.

If it is maller, it is easy to machine bigger, but a PITA with having to make up a 'ring' to reduce the diameter

Cheers

Michael B

[Updated on: Mon, 01 December 2003 22:23]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Tue, 02 December 2003 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike,
the DBA part number for the rotor I was considering was DBA285. They are from a W140 series 500 and 600SEL. The spigot hole is 67mm - identical to the MS123 hub requirement.

As Jayem stated, the Merc PCD is 112 x 5, so all you need to do is enlarge the stud holes by 3 mm and the rotor is a direct fit.

However, the internal drum diameter is 165mm and about two thirds of the way in the drum diameter becomes a bit smaller. This will require modification of the internal drum shoes. Firstly, you will need to radius grind the shoes down to a diameter of 165mm - easy. Secondly, you will need to reduce the width of the shoes so that they are able to work within the 165mm drum section of the rotor - this is also easy but requires a degree of fucking around. I would not machine out the step - it is there to add strength to the hat.

In the end, I decided my underpowered 4M sedan didn't need 330 mm front brakes AND 300 mm rears, so I just settled on the vented MA61 rotors redrilled to suit.

[Updated on: Tue, 02 December 2003 00:41]

bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Tue, 02 December 2003 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hiya Mr Tomato ( Razz ),

Thanks again for the info. I'll definitley look at the Merc rotors and investigate a way of modifying the rear drum shoes.

What front rotor and calipers did you end up using ?

Cheers

Michael B

Edit
Just found the other reason why I didn't really consider the Merc rotor - it is 22mm thick whereas the std rotor is 18mm and I was looking at trying to keep the original caliper.

Will still consider it using the Skyline rear calipers as 300ZX units are only 18mm thick also Crying or Very Sad

[Updated on: Tue, 02 December 2003 02:31]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Tue, 02 December 2003 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can still use the original caliper at the rear with the Merc rotor! Don't let the 4 mm worry you.
If you look at your MA61 caliper, you will see that it splits into 2. What I have done on a separate occasion is get a spacer made to make split the 2 halves slightly wider. In this case the spacer will need to be 4mm thick (22 - 18 = 4) The construction of this spacer is very simple as there need only needs to be a hole to allow the fixing bolt to go thru (there are no fluid channels). I had 4 spacers made and it cost me a total of $20. I also used slightly longer high tensile bolts and got some pad securing pins made.

At the front I used Mustang Cobra 330 x 28mm rotors with AP Racing CP5200 4 spots. It pulls up OK.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/Toyota%20Power%20/brakes1.jpg
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Tue, 02 December 2003 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, cool (re the rear caliper).

The Mustang Rotors were another one on my list of possible candidates.

I'm not surprised that it pulls the car up nicely !!!!! What problems if any did you encounter with the brake balance ?

Cheers

Michael B
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Tue, 02 December 2003 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
None. I fitted an Tilton adjustable brake bias valve into the line to the rears. It is illegal to have such a valve fitted in cabin, but it's OK to have it mounted in the engine bay. Obviously I removed the factory one.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Tue, 02 December 2003 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Front rotors:
Corvette C5 (DBA067A and B) is another rotor you should consider. I never researched it heavily but the the other one that looks good (on paper anyway) is the Lancer Evo V, VI, VII front rotor (DBA4418).
Some of the HSV stuff looked promising too, but from memory it needed to float on top of the hub rather than be bolted to the back, necessitating longer studs.

Keep in mind that anything over 300mm in diameter comes with a rather hefty price tag. Research your options! Digicam, Verniers and a little notepad will take you a long way.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for MA61 - so I can get some decent mags !!!!! Tue, 02 December 2003 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
and I'll bet those AP racing calipers were bloody cheap too Razz

why not just go the whole hog and grab the 6-spots? Razz
Pages (8): [1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:diff help please.
Next Topic:SA63 - 5me
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:52:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010090112686157 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.