Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Air/Fuel gauge into 4AGZE?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
papercut
Regular

April 2003
Air/Fuel gauge into 4AGZE? Tue, 28 October 2003 23:09 Go to next message
Hi guys.

Am trying to install an air/fuel gauge into my car- AFM 4AGZE. The instructions say to hook one of the wires up to the Oxygen sensor. Is this located next to the rocker cover above the extractors? I'm just trying to confirm if this is in fact the O2 sensor, but it looks to be it.

It is a 4 wire sensor, so i have tested the wire from the gauge into each of the 4. 1 of them (red) gives me a reading of RICH and all the lights seem to illuminate - but it doesn't move away from RICH. Another wire (black) makes all the lights flash, and the other 2 stay dead.

Could it be the power wires (positive/earth) that are swapped around?

If someone has installed one similarly, then your help would be much appreciated!
  Send a private message to this user    
neat 20valve
Regular

March 2003
Re: Air/Fuel gauge into 4AGZE? Wed, 29 October 2003 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My advice would be to get your hands on a 3wire o2 sensor and bolt it into your exaust somewhere, (so u have 2 o2 sensor's) thats what im looking at having to do with my 20valve, same problem.

otherwise someone may know of a way to hook it up to the 4 wire, would love to know what the out come is.
regards Craig
ae86slaver
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Air/Fuel gauge into 4AGZE? Wed, 29 October 2003 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the advice dude. Wouldn't a 4 wire do better than a 3 wire?

I'd imagine 4 is better than 3, but now i'm left with 4 semi cut wires with one that is temporarily on. Rolling Eyes

Help!!!

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Air/Fuel gauge into 4AGZE? Wed, 29 October 2003 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the down and dirty for 4 wire sensors??

i have a bunch of Bosch and NTK sensors for sale ($60ea Wink )

the two white wires from the sensor itself (not the loom) are the heaters power and ground, doesn't matter which is which.

the black wire is the O2 signal wire.. this should be connected up to the computer or the gauge.. i am not toally sure if it will change the signal running it to two things.. can prolly check with a good digital multi. the output should be around 0.5V at stoich, but if your motor is running in closed loop, it will flick back and forth from high voltage to low voltage every few seconds..

the last wire, the grey one, is the O2 signal ground.. this must be hooked up for the O2 signal wire to work properly... ground it away from the heater wires, and preferably near either the ECU or the gauge ground point.

4 wire is better than 3 wire, as a 3 wire has the O2 ground thru the sensor body and thru the exhaust, so you have a tortuous ground path back to the ECU/gauge. 4 wire should give cleaner signal

also, use a sheilded wire (like microphone cable from jaycar) to reduce interference from spark plug leads etc..

what else do you need to know?
Cya, Stewart
neat 20valve
Regular

March 2003
Re: Air/Fuel gauge into 4AGZE? Wed, 29 October 2003 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THANKS for that stewart, that was the answer i have been looking for, for a long time now.

later Craig
papercut
Regular

April 2003
Re: Air/Fuel gauge into 4AGZE? Wed, 29 October 2003 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas: thanks for that!

It gives me a clearer idea that I'm on the right track, but I'm no good with electronics, so I'll have to explain more clearly what I am playing with. Basically:

I see 4 wires running from the loom which are Red, Black, Green, and Yellow going into a socket type plug. Then they run ino the O2 sensor itself from this plug.

So where abouts do i 'cut' in and hook the one from the gauge up?

from the loom to the plug? or plug to the sensor?

at the moment it's now on the red one from the loom to the plug. Rolling Eyes

if that helps!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Air/Fuel gauge into 4AGZE? Wed, 29 October 2003 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Craig, send me a pm with your email addy and i'll send you an instruction sheet Smile

okay, the problem here is that the loom colour is different to the plug colour.. this is a common problem since manufacturers use different coloured wires in their cars..

BUT, most Oxygen sensor manufacturers use the same colour code.

sooo...
all you ned to do is to work otu which wires are what...
either, look at the wire colours from the plug to the sensor...

OR
you need to decipher which is which..

if you turn the car on and test voltages at the plug (with O2 disconnected, the heater power wire will have +12V, and the other 3 will be 0V.

then see which wire on the O2 sensor the +12V goes to. check the resistance to the other 3 wires. one of the wires will have between 2 and 6 ohms. this wire will eb the heater ground....

so you have two wires left..

check resistance from the loom plug to ground. one of the two wires left will be the O2 signal GROUND wire...

this leaves the last wire to be the O2 signal wire, adn this is the one you cut into.

when the car is running and the plug is connected to the O2 sensor, this last wire, O2 signal, should be between 0 and 1V
hth
Cya, Stewart
DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Air/Fuel gauge into 4AGZE? Wed, 29 October 2003 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you dont want to use the heater power you can use the ciggie power , garentiued 12v ignition power.

Thats what I used for my guage , and the signal wire is run from the ecu where the o2 sensor wire enters the ecu.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Air/Fuel gauge into 4AGZE? Wed, 29 October 2003 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DiZ_ wrote on Wed, 29 October 2003 18:57

If you dont want to use the heater power you can use the ciggie power , garentiued 12v ignition power.\
Thats what I used for my guage , and the signal wire is run from the ecu where the o2 sensor wire enters the ecu.

the heater power i am talking about is the power for the heater inside the oxygen sensor (since it is a heated oxygen sensor).

DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Air/Fuel gauge into 4AGZE? Wed, 29 October 2003 09:05 Go to previous message
Ahh terribly sorry , I must of misread , silly me and my one wire o2 sensor. Embarassed
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:How to remove factory AE86 Aus-spec steering wheel?
Next Topic:aftermarket tacho onto GZE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 14:16:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053398609161377 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.