Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 18rg timing marks ???????

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
omegaman
Regular

August 2003
18rg timing marks ??????? Sun, 02 November 2003 08:36 Go to next message
Im very confused, this is a picture of my engine at top dead centre.
Why are my marks not in the right position, they should be on the other side of
the timing mark.
Is my timing out from rebuild.
It does run smoothly, not as powerful as I thought it would be.
Its an 18rgu with efi 8.7 comp. took out the 18rg cams and replaced them with
18rgeu cams because all she wanted to do is rev to 6000+ before any power.
Cams no use to me yet as is daily driver better torque range now.
But still feel theres more to it. Can anyone explain this photo?
How do you attach a photo???? :blush:

[Updated on: Sun, 02 November 2003 09:02]

Send a private message to this user    
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 18rg timing marks ??????? Sun, 02 November 2003 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
18rg have 3 timing marks the 1st 1 is 12 %then 7%and tdc and thats looking at it from left to right the cams have a slot in them and they ,the lobes will be facing away from each other at the right no 1 cyc tdc mark and both slots will be up and no 4 cyc lobes will be facing each other you have to set up the exhaust 1st and then set up the inlet with the tensioner back in rotate 360 degrees again till the marks are up right keep doing till you get it right
omegaman
Regular

August 2003
Re: 18rg timing marks ??????? Sun, 02 November 2003 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Point 1- My pulley has only 2 timing marks.and at tdc they are both below the fixed mark on the timing case. That is that they are both to the left or below the case mark.I'm at the understanding they they should be above this mark that is to the right. The marks as shown in manual state 1st mark is tdc 2nd is 5deg btdc 3rd 12deg btdc
Point 2- Yes the cams notches are facing up in line with the mark on the No 1 bearing cap, the No 1 Cyl lobes are facing outwards and No 4 cyl lobes are facing in and slightly down.
No.1 piston is up. Sounds ok, looks ok, but still pulley is out as mentioned. Did compression test also confussing all cylinders are at 125psi or 8.5kpa should be 180psi & 12.7kpa now thats weird but may explain lack of power for my liking, maybe 1 or 2 teeth out on lower gears or crank.
help me with also attaching photos celicara45.please youll see what i mean.

[Updated on: Sun, 02 November 2003 12:38]

Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: 18rg timing marks ??????? Mon, 03 November 2003 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
180 WTF, who gave u that number
a Suzuki GTI with comp of 11:1 or so is 180
a 9.7:1 18RG is only 150

dont feel bad about your CR's mine are 130, 100, 100, 110
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 18rg timing marks ??????? Mon, 03 November 2003 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when you did the comp test had you run the engine for a while till it was at operating temp also you need all the plugs out and the butterflys should be fully open when comp test is done
omegaman
Regular

August 2003
Re: 18rg timing marks ??????? Mon, 03 November 2003 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well the comp ratios I got from the toyota manual.The engine was at operating temp at the time of the test.I thought I did every thing by the book, but somethings not right.????
pilot
Occasional Poster

August 2003

Re: 18rg timing marks ??????? Mon, 29 November 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hello, I have just bought an 82 Celica with a 18R-G and I´m trying to tune it. The problem is that I can´t find the timing marks. I knew that they are in the crank pulley in the front of the engine but where´s the neddle? in the upper (12 o´clock) position?

If anybody had a picture, it would be great.

Thanks
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 18rg timing marks ??????? Mon, 29 November 2004 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have seen two differnt types of 18R-G crank pulleys.
# with two timing marks (TOP DEAD CENTRE + 12degrees BELOW TOP DEAD CENTRE)

# with 3 timing marks - TDC, 7 degrees BTDC and 12 degrees BTDC

as you stand in front of the motor looking down on the crank pulley, the pulley rotates CLOCKWISE, hence the marks move from left to right. As such the MOST RIGHT hand mark is 12deg BTDC, and this is what you should be aiming for at operating temperature with an idle of around 900rpm.

If you marks are further to the LEFT of the indicator pin (the thing fixed to the timing case) when you use a timing light, then your dizzy is too advanced. If the marks are to the right of the pin, then of course the dizzy is retarded.

Turning the dizzy to the LEFT will ADVANCE the timing, turning it to the RIGHT will RETARD it.

Good luck. One day i will scan in the "Green Book" - Toyota's 18R service manual.
pilot
Occasional Poster

August 2003

Re: 18rg timing marks ??????? Mon, 29 November 2004 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the quick answer!
What Ireally want to know is where is the "fixed thing". Is it at 12 o´clock or where?

Thanks again.
brett_celicacoupe
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: 18rg timing marks ??????? Tue, 30 November 2004 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on my 18rgu, the timing needle is like ,more at 10:00/10:30 than 12. dont quote me on it
pilot
Occasional Poster

August 2003

Re: 18rg timing marks ??????? Tue, 30 November 2004 03:06 Go to previous message
Thanks a lot!; will try to see it in these days!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Warning Lights - KE30 Corolla
Next Topic:industrial plugs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:46:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006011962890625 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.