Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Compression braking Wed, 05 November 2003 22:19 Go to next message
I've got into a bad habit of compression braking lately in my brothers car and was wondering what sort of damage this is doing to the engine? should I change my driving style Crying or Very Sad
  Send a private message to this user    
clancey
Regular

July 2002
Re: Compression braking Wed, 05 November 2003 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it was your car, i'd tell you to stop. Lucky it's your brothers Smile
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Compression braking Wed, 05 November 2003 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I want to get out of the habbit BEFORE my car gets rebuilt
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: Compression braking Wed, 05 November 2003 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok forgive me for being stupid, but what harm does it do?

Edit: Ok now i dont feel so dumb. I assumed they meant the same thing as engine braking?

[Updated on: Wed, 05 November 2003 23:53]

STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Compression braking Wed, 05 November 2003 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you mean only compression braking?
redlining without brake or something?
AE82TwinCam
Regular

May 2002
Re: Compression braking Wed, 05 November 2003 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from what I gather compression braking only does damage to an engine at higher revs, i.e booting it up to 6-7k and compression braking then..

Correct me if I'm wrong..

-Andrew
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Compression braking Wed, 05 November 2003 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No not compression (engine) braking near redline but from around 3-4.5rpm, Stopping at lights, cornering etc.
AE82TwinCam
Regular

May 2002
Re: Compression braking Thu, 06 November 2003 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think at those revs it will do any damage at all.. I know when I took my driving test they frowned on compression braking but I hardly think that was to preserve engine life..

-Andrew
Timmy Turbo
Regular

August 2003
Re: Compression braking Thu, 06 November 2003 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I admit I used to slow down like that too, but if you're worried about it, look at it this way. What would you rather: having to replace your clutch and engine, or having to replace your brake pads? I know what I'd prefer. Smile
Cheers,
Tim
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Compression braking Thu, 06 November 2003 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i love compressions its good in the wet cause you can kick the car our and plant it to set your self up for a nice drift Evil or Very Mad
Byatch
Regular

October 2003
Re: Compression braking Thu, 06 November 2003 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i kinda compression brake, but only so that if the lights change, i'm in a nice gear with nice revs to boot it.

i think that if you were to double-clutch on the downshift, then it might save a bit of clutch wear, but it is hardly worth it in the long run.

that, and naturally aspirated cars sound sweet when engine braking.

cheers

[Updated on: Thu, 06 November 2003 01:48]

truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Compression braking Thu, 06 November 2003 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my dad told me when i was ten to change down through the gears, use the engine to slow. he taught me about double clutching heel toe etc, he is an engineer, i dont think he would give me bad advice, and the fact that he was encouraging engine braking in his car so it cant be bad
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Compression braking Thu, 06 November 2003 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Timmy Turbo wrote on Thu, 06 November 2003 11:04

I admit I used to slow down like that too, but if you're worried about it, look at it this way. What would you rather: having to replace your clutch and engine, or having to replace your brake pads? I know what I'd prefer. Smile
Cheers,
Tim

Replace engine.......Hmmmmm
1G-Gte
18R-Gte
3sge

It would give me a reason Evil or Very Mad

more concerned with problems in the engine rather than wear.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Compression braking Thu, 06 November 2003 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heyall,
just to be a real pain in the arse.. Rolling Eyes and to clarify...

compression braking is a diesel thing... since they always injest the same amount of air, and inject fuel as the throttle, so when you are not injecting fuel, the engine is still pumping thru and compressing lots of air, creating a retarding force and slowing it down, hence "compression braking"

in a petrol motor, when you take your foot off the throttle, there is much less air actually going into the motor, since the butterfly is closed, so you aren't actually compression braking.
in fact, it's more like vacuum braking, since the power stroke is now a vacuum stroke.... also the bigger you valve overlap, the less effective this will be... take 250 race bikes as an example....

so it's a mixture of vacuum and friction braking..kinda scary that when not making power, a car motor takes so much energy to spin around!!!

oki, so what does it do? burns clutch when engaging (unless you rev match?)
reverse loads the drivetrain (prolly not that much of a prob, unless you already have cracks in the gear teeth)
the rods get 2 tension loads per cycle (intake stroke and power stroke) as opposed to 3 compression loadings and 1 tension (compression, power, exhaust strokes vs intake stroke)

the oil pump is still spinning away so no probs with that....

about the only real issues are that the clutch wears if you are dumping it to get the braking effect, but if you are just letting it pull up the car when already in gear, less drama.

and the main real problem is that of accidentally over-revving the motor on the downshift... a few seconds at 1-2000rpm over redline = very bad for component lifetimes....

if you have good brake bias, you will stop faster using the brakes than the engine (in a RWD car). and if you stop faster using engine braking (in a RWD car), then you don't have enough rear bias.

in a FWD car, engine braking can be quite effective

blah blah, back into my hole Razz
Cya, Stewart

Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Compression braking Thu, 06 November 2003 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ta stew, You've outline my worries. just to clarify my brothers car has shithouse brakes hence engine braking.(and bad habbit).
If when engine braking the throttle is closed and the engine is revving down from lets say 5500rpm is there any detonation worries?
Damn just answered my own question Embarassed
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Compression braking Thu, 06 November 2003 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh, one other thing.
when you use the engine to brake, you also generate higher than normal vacuums in the intake manifold, which can/will lead to oil being sucked in past the intake valve stem seals, so some smoke may by produced, the oil will be washed thru the cylinder by the petrol nect you accelerate, so not so bad, but could be a bit smokey....

detonation?? possibly, but not the same as under power. if you suck in enough oil, then it can burn, particularly when the vapor pressure of the hot oil is high re;lative to the manifold pressure... more likely to just be smokey tho...
Cya, Stewart
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Compression braking Thu, 06 November 2003 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bah the only thing you need to worry about is the sudden force put on the drivetrain.. say good by to g/boxs and diffs... bt ofcourse thats only if you dropping it back hard enough to make the drivetrain "bang" real wheels lock etc...
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Compression braking Thu, 06 November 2003 07:38 Go to previous message
When learning to drive my instructor & parents encourgaed this "compression braking". To be honest in my day to day driving the car doesn't see 4500RPM all that much(if at all), I always downshift when braking, about 2000RPM, to me it feels like a more controlled stop, your using the engine and the brakes. All that said if you were working in the higher rev ranges I reckon its gotta be bad for your car(for the above listed reasons), but at loe RPM, ie 2000 I(non-mechanically) cant see a problem.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE82 Hatch external mods!
Next Topic:AE82 FRONT GRILLE???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 03:50:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074408054351807 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.