Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Bathurst 24 Hour Sun, 23 November 2003 22:35 Go to next message
I don't know who else watched the race, but I thourght I'd mention that it was good to see that the 2 Celicas and the Altezza finished the race with no major problems (1 for Toyota reliability) when cars like the Ferarri blew engines and such.

Also good to see Brock get his No. 10 Bathurst win Very Happy

I want one of those 427's in my ute Evil or Very Mad
  Send a private message to this user    
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Mon, 24 November 2003 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
considering the 427 is not coming out in production anymore.. wouldnt that technically disqualify the 427 even though it was a few months ago?
I watched it a bit while at work
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Mon, 24 November 2003 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn I didn't even know it was on. When was it shown on tv?
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Mon, 24 November 2003 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the only thing that's holden on that car is the badge. Rolling Eyes
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Mon, 24 November 2003 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

the only thing that's holden on that car is the badge. Rolling Eyes

Too true unfortunately. Confused
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Mon, 24 November 2003 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, i nearlly missed it i was watching rally on sunday started flipping channels and went to channel 7, WTF Shocked Bathurst 24hour, i thought it would be on 10.
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Mon, 24 November 2003 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Was a shame to see that none of the japanese cars did well though.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Mon, 24 November 2003 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
smt_007 wrote on Mon, 24 November 2003 15:40

Yeah, i nearlly missed it i was watching rally on sunday started flipping channels and went to channel 7, WTF Shocked Bathurst 24hour, i thought it would be on 10.

10 has right to V* supercars and 7 has right to procar {which is what 24hr was"

go the mighty 427

no magna V8 Future tourer this year
tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Mon, 24 November 2003 18:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I might of had a bit of respect towards Holdens win if it was with a GEN3.
ra23celicachick
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Mon, 24 November 2003 21:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No one told me it was on Mad
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Tue, 25 November 2003 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 427 is just a board out and stroked engine, so its legit
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Tue, 25 November 2003 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It was actually released in a production model by HRT I think.

Called... wait for it..... HRT 427

how original, and It's not even holdens engine, neither if the gen3 nor any of their v8's.... thanks chev for the import engines Rolling Eyes at least ford did something to the 350 before putting it in the new ba.. like add two extra valves per cylinder Smile
DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Tue, 25 November 2003 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My work had a few cars in the race including the BMW GTR M3 which came first in its classing , all the others didn't do so well though , 350z retired after 3 hours with over heating probs , E46 M3 went into a wall I heard , same with a few of the 320i's.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Tue, 25 November 2003 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
charliechalk wrote on Tue, 25 November 2003 15:51

how original, and It's not even holdens engine, neither if the gen3 nor any of their v8's.... thanks chev for the import engines Rolling Eyes at least ford did something to the 350 before putting it in the new ba.. like add two extra valves per cylinder Smile

Their technically the same company.

GMH - General Motors Holden.
GMC - General Motors Chevrolet.

First prize for the event was $10,000 AUD. Shocked
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Tue, 25 November 2003 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lambolica wrote on Tue, 25 November 2003 17:40

Their technically the same company.

GMH - General Motors Holden.
GMC - General Motors Chevrolet.

First prize for the event was $10,000 AUD. Shocked

Not a bad return...Considering the Monaro costs $475,000, before one adds things like tyres, fuel, pit crews, spares (like diff assys) etc etc.

I really liked *sarcasm* Gary Rogers saying afterwards "It really goes to show just how good the Holden product is..."

Yeah, right! Just so people who may be "unaware" are informed:
The Monaro CV8s campaigned at Bathurst on the w/end are Monaro CV8s in name only. The only things in common with the road-going "equivalent", are the body shells (even those are probably custom-made) and...err...not much else.

/end rant

Wouldn't it be nice if Toyota or someone (anyone!) campaigned a Toyota of similar "road-going" spec to one of those Monaros...Nice TT 3UZ, using mainly off-the-shelf components. It would be a nice advert for Toyota's reliability.
/end wishful thinking mode.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Tue, 25 November 2003 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I really liked *sarcasm* Gary Rogers saying afterwards "It really goes to show just how good the Holden product is..."

*Holden Product* being HRT's several years of knowledge of the car, the track, the drivers, and what was left of the car, finally putting that into a shell injecting several hundered thousand dollars in development putting a holden badge on the front and tapping it on the arse on it's way out of pit lane.

I would have liked the Diablo have a fair go at it. If the Diablo comes back next year It'll give the monaros a run.

By the same token the V8's (whatever V8) on average faired better on the endurance side than their high revving european/italian cousins.

Maybe TOYMODS could put together a team for next year....
A 1UZ in an avalon with rwd conversion, 2j in a Camry,
3sgte in an echo. Build it to run 24 hours and go for it. Evil or Very Mad
nicked
Regular

I supported Toymods

September 2003
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Tue, 25 November 2003 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeez, can you say 'tall poppy'? Have a think about the cars it is built to compete against, only the Porsche is anywhere near a 'production car'. These were its competitiors in Class A:

Ferrari 360 GT - US$389,500/410,000 (AU$540,972 / 569,000)
30 produced, specifically for the track
roadandtrack.com:
"So what kind of person buys a 360 GT? For starters, you'll have to have your sights set on competing in the FIA N-GT and ACO championships in 2002 and 2003. Also, don't be surprised to see the car running at Le Mans next year, or even in the ALMS (American Le Mans Series)"
ferrariworld.com:
"The 360 GT derives from the 360 Challenge and is destined to compete on the GT race circuit. There are two versions of the model, one conforming to FIA N-GT and the other to ACO/Le Mans specifications."

Lamborghini Diablo GTR - US$390,000 ( AU$430,000 )
Also 30 produced, for a one make series.
lamborghiniregistry.com:
" Now, to meet the request of the passionate driver participating in the Lamborghini Supertrophy, the House of the Bull is presenting the Lamborghini Diablo GTR, a car based on the Diablo GT... most important features are a modified chassis frame with integrated roll bar, improved suspensions, central fixing nut for the rims, race braking system...exhaust system without catalyser.."
'..windows were replaced with Plexiglass units.. the isolation between the driver and the engine was also removed to gain even more weight reduction';

Porsche GT3 RS
200 produced, road version legal in Europe, not sure about here. Forget race version. Price for race version?
'The road version of Porsche's new top sports car has various technical features that will also appear on the racing version.. wheel hub assemblies, divided front-and rear lateral suspension control arms, optimized rear-axle geometry, a special weight-saving rear window made of acrylic material and a carbon-fiber reinforced front hood and rear wing.'

BMW M3 GTR
5 in existence? - US$470,000 (AU$652,000) Shocked
road and track:
'The M3's V-8 is not a version of the engine that powers BMW street cars. It's a racing motor designed by the... BMW Motorsport branch'
'As the rules require, it's based on the stock M3 body shell. But by the time BMW has added safety-cage bars, new suspension bits, carbon-fiber bodywork, front and rear wings, and a data-acquisition system, the GTR is far closer to a purpose-built race car than a street car'

Mosler MT900R
Ready to Club Race - US$149,000
Ready to Race Grand-Am GTS Class - US$159,000
mosler site:
'The MT900R is delivered to your team race ready. Allow 120 days from order to delivery.'
'proven performance on the track make the MT900R the car to beat in Grand Am GT class racing'
If you want to drive on the road, you get the MT900S.

And yet people are still b!tching about the Monaro being a race car, havin nothing to do with a CV8!!
The difference is in the experience and professionalism of the V8 supercar team that runs the monaros.
John Bowe (M3 GTR - crashed out on lap 151 of 527) is hardly a bloke to pat Holden on the back. But on sunday arvo he said:
'I think Bathurst is such a difficult race and everybody but the Holden team underestimated what is required to win.'

No, the monaro is not a production car. But neither is anything else in its class. They are all hand-made racing cars. Sorry about the ramble..

Oh, and the altezza sounded wicked, as did all 427ci of monaro (x2) Very Happy +the 2 celicas were amazing, they just hammered around in convoy for pretty much the whole damn race!

edit: any percieved harshness aimed at no-one in particular Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 25 November 2003 12:01]

Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Tue, 25 November 2003 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also the Gen 3 ran first and second in its class in a VX and VY varients.
The other on I liked was the 200SX that blew a turbo with 12 minutes left of the race and kept rolling around the track at 40k's until the end of the race.

The porsche driver made a rather crude remark about the Monaros not being a real car as well on the podium.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Tue, 25 November 2003 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Actually no. Only 2 were ever made and these were Gamma cars. The Gen3 is a chev engine as well built in Canada, so it is not a true Holden engine either - same for the current Buick V6.

The new V6, HFV6 will be much better.

In the end, Holden exploited the rules and had a major marketing coup and got away with it.

Nicked, Good points on the other competitors !!

Cheers

Micheal B

PS - Don't agree with the process either, but the rules let them.
Shteeve
Regular

July 2002

Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Wed, 26 November 2003 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the rules actually don't let them, but it doesn't seem to matter, because australian motorsport rules get changed a fair bit so that holden can win...
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Wed, 26 November 2003 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTW the celica won its class. Yes those other cars are also race versions but they are not custom made for this race. Also, there is no more 427 being built by Holden. The rules have definitely been been for the Monaro as only N-GT cars and JGTC GT300 cars are allowed instead of GT class and GT500 cars which would be similar to the 'unrestriced' Monaro.

Also, it has been said that the Monaro was putting around all year so it would have minor parity changes and then it went a bit harder in the 24hr, however it was still only revving to 4500rpm with a limiter close to 6000rpm and these engines are from the Le Mans C5R and are built for up to 8000rpm so it was certainly taking it easy.

Also, have a guess who crashed into Bowe's M3 GTR which cause it to have a driveline failure?

None other than the eventual winner of the race 'Peter Perfect' Shocked
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Thu, 27 November 2003 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The engine in th 427 comes from America from the C5R Callaway. It is a engine built for Lemans. I am a holden man but brock's victory does not count as his car was far superior and it was not in the V8 supercars. Also it was the Bathurst 24hr and not the Bathurst 1000.
He's actually not on nine victories in todays standards. You can't change to a team mates car mid race just because yours breaks down. The monaros need to be detuned or kicked they are not a production car and never will be in race spec. The project fell through the floor as cost were going to be $300000 rather than $200000, still a fair amount for a holden.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Thu, 27 November 2003 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
austrtalian motorsport is so fucking hopeless...
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Thu, 27 November 2003 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
come one jag7799, at least this series is a positve step into the right direction. (which happens to be backwards with the old grp A cars Smile)

All this race needs is some more competition and fairer parity between cars and it would be set to take over from the stinking supertaxis. At least now that Holden has won twice then maybe more bogans will be interested in this series and then they can let the real cars in Smile

as i said in the other thread. Head on over to www.procar.com.au and let your thoughts be heard by the boss of PROCAR, Ross Palmer and I am sure that he wants to please the fans as the fans are the ones who pay him.

later
chris
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Thu, 27 November 2003 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Thu, 27 November 2003 15:30

He's actually not on nine victories in todays standards. You can't change to a team mates car mid race just because yours breaks down.

actually u COULD back then, if i owned a team and it was within the rights to flog his car, i'd very seriously consider it

they mean to say he won bathurst 10 times, and he didnt win the bathurst 1000 9 times either, he won the 500 mile a few times

i Rolling Eyes think

prove me wrong
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Fri, 28 November 2003 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, you are right.

Some people were saying that if it is now endurance races at Bathurst then Jim Richards would also be right up there as he was racing Porsches in the 12 hours in the 90's.
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Fri, 28 November 2003 05:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bathurst 24hr joke!!!

well I guess "production car" can mean anything. 2 prototype cars I would not exactly call "in production". at least all of the competition you could buy (if u had enough money).

Seeing the "427" win does not make me proud to be an Australian - is this the best we can do? basically we made our own rules up because the std 5.7lt gen 3 wasnt going to cut it for an outright position.

also in the procar series all this parity bullshit makes any contest completely irrelevant if your looking to find the best/true winner.

if you want to see what Australian manufacturers can acheive have a look at the last of the group A racing. the R32 GTR was released in 1989, the VL walkinshaw 1990, and the comparison between these 2 is an absolute laugh. need I continue with this.

they basically had no hope of competing so they came up with supertourers - pieces of irrelevant crap.

its no wonder they had to use the 427 what else could they come up with? they cant design engines.. do we need to mention the "starfire 4" from the 4cyl VC commodore - this motor came out in 1981 - toyota 2 years later released the 4age.....yeah what a brilliant design team.

this is Aussie ingenuity.??
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

HSV427 - I just want one. Fri, 28 November 2003 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chrisss, isn't that why the 24 hour 'race' was a bit of a joke - because there was no parity?

At the end of the day, the best car, with the best drivers and the best team won.
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HSV427 - I just want one. Fri, 28 November 2003 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GT why would you want a 2 door commodore?

Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: HSV427 - I just want one. Fri, 28 November 2003 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's a bit more than a 2 door commodore.
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: HSV427 - I just want one. Fri, 28 November 2003 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It wasn't a race.

It was a marketing exercise.
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: HSV427 - I just want one. Fri, 28 November 2003 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes it is a "bit" more than a commodore. but its still a commodore. - er boring looking, over engined, untechnologically advanced, irrelevant, 60's idea of engineering, common as, conformist, footy head wanker type of car.

yes its fast.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Fri, 28 November 2003 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd still like a malloo to tow around my track car (when I'm a millionaire)
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Fri, 28 November 2003 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jase - your right.

dont you love the utter contempt that they have for the audience - "gee youve gotta love the 427" like we dont have a brain and are in need of a constant reminder of how great it is to see a holden and brocky win bathurst.

its probably got something to do with why our automotive industry cant sell cars in any other market in the world (in significant numbers).
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Fri, 28 November 2003 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I still don't see what the problem is.

The rules allowed a 427 CV8 to race.

They raced.

They came 1-2. Daylight. Third.

It's a great car driven by great drivers built and managed by a great team. Seems like a winning formula to me.

If people have a problem with that, hop on to the Procar forums. Ross Palmer frequents them so you can tell him direct.

CV8 = Ferrari killer. Razz

Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Fri, 28 November 2003 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Fri, 28 November 2003 18:29

I'd still like a malloo to tow around my track car (when I'm a millionaire)

I've got a HDT SS Ute coming next week for my Tow car Evil or Very Mad
Blown86
Regular

July 2002
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Fri, 28 November 2003 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Fri, 28 November 2003 16:10

I still don't see what the problem is.

They raced.

They came 1-2. Daylight. Third.

It's a great car driven by great drivers built and managed by a great team. Seems like a winning formula to me.

If people have a problem with that, hop on to the Procar forums. Ross Palmer frequents them so you can tell him direct.

CV8 = Ferrari killer. Razz

The rules were altered to allow the 427's to race.

One intersting aside is that an aussie GT40 replica company applied to run in the 24 hour and were knocked back. Perhaps if Ford had pretended it was similar to their soon to be production GT40 it would have raced. That's the same as the scam pulled by Holden.

I'd like to see if a driver not contracted to Holden will ever be able to race the 427.
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Fri, 28 November 2003 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The problem is the team that won has an over amount of swing with the governing body.

It's as realistic a sport as the WWF
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Fri, 28 November 2003 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol those rules are stupid
its like having a race with the rules saying "all cars have to be 2 litre 4 cylinders or under... only exception is a 7 litre v8 stamped with holden on the side, they can run too"
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Sat, 29 November 2003 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Fri, 28 November 2003 19:10

Blown86 wrote on Fri, 28 November 2003 23:04

The rules were altered to allow the 427's to race.

(Just like the Mosler and the V8 M3R, but we'll keep that conveniently quiet - it destroys the Holden conspiracy theory. Besides, we all know that only a Ford or a Holden can win in elite motorsport classes in Australia for it to be financially successful - points to the funky carcass of Group A and the sour taste of Volvos, Jaguars, Sierras and GTRs. Mr Palmer is trying to run a business.)

gianttomato wrote on Fri, 28 November 2003 19:10

Bimmer basher Razz
http://monaro.net/adams%20ht1.jpg

Lambo luncher:
http://monaro.net/mdhq2.jpg

Ferrari fryer:
http://monaro.net/dennis%27s%20hk%2001.JPG
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Sat, 29 November 2003 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
While I understand that the versions of the other cars are effectively race cars, it doesn't excuse Holden being able to enter the 427. Yes, it is the best car but how close is it to an actual production car. For one it doesn't even use IRS which no current shape Monaro ever hasn't. The gearbox is a Holinger special whereas the other cars derivatins of their factory boxes, some just with closer gear ratios. The engine was lifted straight from the Corvette LeMans car...the brakes are psycho, and the closest thing to the real cars.

I'll never dispute that the best car won, but the thing that shits me is that the other cars are all so comparable and then there is the 427 which is allowed to do basically whatever it takes to win.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Sat, 29 November 2003 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lambo uses a Hollinger sequential box and massive (non factory) brakes (just like almost everything else). Gone to a BMW dealership lately and asked for one of them M3s with a V8 in it? Can someone point me to a Mosler dealership? Has anyone seen a Ferrari 360 Michelotto cruise the streets lately?

Remember that few of these cars actually resemble the showroom variants.

Ross Palmer is trying to run a business. His job would be easier if Ford brought out a 2 door taxi and 'dropped' a 429 in it.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Sat, 29 November 2003 01:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I understand what you're getting at, that still doesn't explain how a car that only ever came out with IRS is able to run with a totally different rear suspension system.

The main point I'm making is the parity is f'ed which makes for boring racing.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Sat, 29 November 2003 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Sat, 29 November 2003 12:13

The main point I'm making is the parity is f'ed which makes for boring racing.

Points to the very first thing I said:
gianttomato wrote on Fri, 28 November 2003 16:59

.....isn't that why the 24 hour 'race' was a bit of a joke - because there was no parity?

Very Happy

Win Sunday, sell Monday.
http://monaro.net/hk%20targa.jpg

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Sat, 29 November 2003 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why is our country so f'ed when it comes to decent racing...at least the Monaro didn't win the Nations Cup championship.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Sat, 29 November 2003 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Sat, 29 November 2003 12:26

at least the Monaro didn't win the Nations Cup championship.

The cynic in me would suggest that it was deliberate - to avoid being paritized. We all know Bathurst is the golden chalice of Australian motorsport.

Does anyone know who won the Nations Cup Championship for 2002 and 2003? Rhetorical question.

EDIT: It should be noted the only other person not bitching and sniping about the Monaro in this thread is also a Corona Mk2 owner.

[Updated on: Sat, 29 November 2003 02:39]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Sat, 29 November 2003 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All the cars in NC are subject to parity. But as GT said it is quite possible that the Monaro was cruising around all year so that they didn't get too much parity put on them. As far as I know, they weigh in at 1380kg when i heard they were 1300kg originally and they are fitted with an inlet air restrictor, just like the Ferrari 360 GT and the Diablo GTR(which wasn't in the b24hr).

The parity is like this at present, because they parity against the Porsche GT3. So i think that they should allow the turbo porsche GT2's in and make them the equilibrium. Then the Ferrari, Lambo and 427 can be unrestricted a bit.

GT: You can buy Mosler's by the way, but i forgot the site and i wouldn't imagine that they would be very cheap Smile The Mosler was doing quite well actually. In the early stages of the race, it was actually gaining ground on the 427's and its only got a stinking little 5.7L Smile

Does anyone know if Corvettes come out with a 7L?

The m3 GTR is a similar case as the 427, except it actually uses the stock displacement m5 engine. If the 427 used a 5.7L then there would be no argument against it. Interestingly, the race version of the m3 GTR has a 4L engine instead of a 5L.

For '04, Let turbo Porsches in
let JGTC GT500 cars in
let Le mans GT cars in
and unrestrict the current cars a bit!

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Sat, 29 November 2003 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman: yep. This is the site: http://www.moslerauto.com/. As Nicked said, they will deliver it to my race team ready to race for $159000 USD. There is an extensive list of (mandatory for motorsport) options which are left unpriced.

I could go to Gary Rogers Motorsport and get them to build me a HSV427. They'll deliver it to my race team for $475000.

I think I know which one I'd buy if I were in the business of winning races.

The 4 litre engine in the BMW is a race special.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Sat, 29 November 2003 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Sat, 29 November 2003 14:02

The 4 litre engine in the BMW is a race special.

you mean like the 427? Smile

My name is not Bugman Smile

If they just put a normal 5.7L in it and then worked that, there wouldn't have been all these silly debates!
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Sat, 29 November 2003 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, aren't I silly. Embarassed
Yep just like the 427. Smile
We'd still have the debates just the opposite way - if the Holden lost all the Holden fans would say the CV8 was racing against specially prepared race vehicles! Laughing
jase
Regular

May 2002
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Sun, 30 November 2003 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Parity is a great concept.

It's application is it's problem.

Holden knows how strong a grip it has on the Australia publics wallets, and the governing bodies of motorsport do too.

Cash will change it.

Which ever team sells the most merchandise will win.

The governing bodies of motorsport needs popular teams to win to ensure cashflow.

Gruop A was effectively removed because Nissan held a gun to the head of one of Australia's greatest cash cows.

[Updated on: Sun, 30 November 2003 04:11]

chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Sun, 30 November 2003 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
was chating to an old school friend yesterday about the supertourers - he follows that crap a little, hes one of the ford v holden types.
we got onto the 24h, he was trying to tell me the monaro that won had the 5.7lt motor and was basically a stock car minus a few exhaust mods!!!!! - rekons he saw a "tv show where brocky was explaining what had been done to the car"

this is the sort of marketing bonanza that holden has achieved out of the exercise.

GT your using cars like the ferrari and mosler as an excuse to let the "production" monaro run - I wouldnt have let the mosler in either.

the improvements that were gained on the ferrari and lambo wouldnt be anywhere near what the monaro 427 has over the 300kw 5.7lt version.

as a matter of interest was there a 300kw commodore or monaro running in the race and what were its times like?

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Sun, 30 November 2003 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes there was a GT performance spec HSV GTS (4 door) running. It has a little parity on it to let it keep up with the evo's. Off the top off my head, i think it finished 28th. Also, there were other VX & VY commos but they were future tourers which are vastly different to the 300kw HSV cars. these finished between 10th and 20th i think.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Sun, 30 November 2003 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was thinking about it more over the weekend, as you do when you're bored at work. While I agree that you make a valid point with the M3 GTR having a non-factory engine. The more I thought about it though, the more it made sense, it was for parity against the other cars it was up against (namely the 360 Challenge, the GT3 RS) in other racing categories. As 3.2l NA form it wouldn't stand a chance, and from a parity level, it works quite well in other formats.

I think other guys since I last posted have summed up the real reasons for the Monaro being the way it is.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Sun, 30 November 2003 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats it.. im gonna go out and buy a vc commodore.. strap a couple of rockets to it... and see if they let me run
Todd
Regular

October 2003
Re: Bathurst 24 Hour Fri, 05 December 2003 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message

The 350 chev holden use for the gen 3 is a 5.7 litre. The BA falcon V8 is a 5.4 litre engine. So how can this be a 350?? Correct me if im wrong.
audineil
Newcomer

November 2002
Celica's at 2003 Bathurst 24 Hour Tue, 09 December 2003 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Osborne Motorsport Toyota Celicas finished 1st and 2nd outright in the Production category in the 2003 Bathurst 24 Hour.
Other cars in their category were Holden Commodore SS V8 (5.7L), Ford BA GT (5.4L), Ford XR8 (5.0L), Ford XR6 Turbo (Corrected 6.0L), Alfa 156 GTA (3.2L V6), Honda S2000, Honda Integra Type R.
The Celicas have the 1.8L 2ZZ-GE engines and as such were the tiddlers in the race.
The overall result was 16th and 20th.
The cars were driven from Sydney to Bathurst and without even as much as changing tyres (Production cars are on road tyres) they were driven back to Sydney after the race.

Neil Trama
(Osborne Motorsport engine builder/race engineer)
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Celica's at 2003 Bathurst 24 Hour Fri, 12 December 2003 05:56 Go to previous message
well that says it all eh.

a 1.8lt buzz box better than a aussie(yank) V8.

laughing my ass off.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Who's going to SummerNats?
Next Topic:license cancellation
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 08:39:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0098731517791748 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.