Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
whatever
Regular

October 2003
TA22/2TG - low oil pressure Wed, 10 December 2003 10:11 Go to next message
'lo gurus,

I've just put a stock 2TG in my '22 and am having a weird disconcerting problem. When the engine is warm and at idle (700-900 rpm), my oil pressure light keeps coming on. This is pretty much the same rev range my old 2T used to idle at and I never had this problem. If I nudge the revs up to 1000 it goes off. Before you ask, yes I have checked the oil level and it is fine (in fact I just did an oil change and it was happening before that too)

I am wondering what is the most likely cause. Here is what I can think of:

1: Maybe the impedance of the oil pressure sender is different than the one in the 2T and therefore the light comes on even though the oil pressure is still within tolerance

2: The oil pump is on the way out.

3: The oil pump is too small or doesn't have enough power.

Next (excuse my ignorance) where is the oil pump? Is it inside the sump?

Any thoughts, suggestions and/or info would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
Jeremy.
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22/2TG - low oil pressure Wed, 10 December 2003 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Your 2T-G may have a rheostat for an oil pressure gauge, instead of a switch for the idiot light as found on 2T's. The sender looks much the same but it's bigger.

I did exactly the same thing when I put an 18R-G in my RA23, hooked up the oil pressure light to the rheostat and the oil light came on at low rpm. Easy fix, I grabbed the sender from the old engine and swapped it on to the new one. Sorted! Smile
whatcrazyguy
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Re: TA22/2TG - low oil pressure Wed, 10 December 2003 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mate had a st162 celica that was having an inconsistant oil pressure. lube mobile said it was the head. he took it to his local macanic and he laughed and replaced the radiator cap. it was buggered. not saying that this will be your prob but it may be something to do with it.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22/2TG - low oil pressure Wed, 10 December 2003 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A radiator cap causing low oil pressure... that's a good one! Laughing
whatever
Regular

October 2003
Re: TA22/2TG - low oil pressure Wed, 10 December 2003 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Excellent. That is what I thought of doing.

Thanks.
dcleyne
Regular

November 2003
Re: TA22/2TG - low oil pressure Thu, 11 December 2003 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm interested in this because my 2T is doing almost exactly the same thing. I changed the oil pressure sender over to a unit for an oil guage rather than the light and when the motor is hot the oil pressure at idle drops away to almost nothing. There is plenty of pressure there when the motor is brought up to over 2k revs.

I was figuring on a weak or broken pressure relief valve spring or the valve itself is stuck slightly open or unable to close fully.

Cheers,
Dan
whatever
Regular

October 2003
Re: TA22/2TG - low oil pressure Thu, 11 December 2003 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So you changed the sender for a unit with a matching gague? Did you mount the gauge somewhere in the dash?

I was thinking that maybe the oil pump is starting to go and isn't pumping as much a new one might.....
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: TA22/2TG - low oil pressure Thu, 11 December 2003 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Low oil pressure at idle is a common symptom of a worn bottom end, ie the bearing clearances are too big and the oil is leaking past too quickly. It's less likely the oil pump itself is causing the problem, although it is possible.
dcleyne
Regular

November 2003
Re: TA22/2TG - low oil pressure Thu, 11 December 2003 05:57 Go to previous message
The gauge I got was too small to go into any of the current 'holes' in the dash. It would have required making an adapter plate and I couldn't be bothered at the time. In the end I attached it to the side of my home-made radio shroud that I build out of aluminium sheet salvaged from an old Burroughs computer. I'm going to relocate it though, because I've realised the danger of having sharp metals things projecting below the edge of the dashboard...

I also have a wierd problem with low indicator voltage that will require removal of the dash anyway so I'll put it in there then.

I'm worried now with the thought that it might be the bottom end. I was pretty sure it wasn't the oil pump because when the motor is cold and the engine is revving up around 3-3.5k its producing ~65 psi on the guage. I didn't think that was the sign of a worn out pump. I did think it might be a worn/broken pressure relief valve spring though. I really hadn't considered the worn bottom end scenario. I have a spare 2T that has a blown head gasket that I was going to scavange the oil pump from. I guess if that doesn't fix the problem then it brings forward the engine change I was planning anyway. (which actually means the car goes off the road indefinately until I can afford the new motor)

Cheers,
Dan
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:T-18 conversion
Next Topic:manual steering rack for MA61?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:00:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044839382171631 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.