Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » MA61 supra, converting to a 1G-GTE?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Aliencorolla
Occasional Poster

October 2003
MA61 supra, converting to a 1G-GTE? Wed, 10 December 2003 11:23 Go to next message
Ok I have posted about this befor and i do want to do it, has any one done this befor, if so what did they have to modify, eg do I have to change my engine mounts? if so whats the work involved, i have to plan this to weather I can do it at home or if i will have to con the boss into letting me do it at work. If there is any Welding needed to be done ect any mods you had to make or know of. I will love ya for it, i have a verry small amount of time to get this done. So all help is needed.
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 supra, converting to a 1G-GTE? Wed, 10 December 2003 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have a chat to JustCallMeFrank, he's doing much the same thing except he's starting with a GA61 which came with a G series engine from the factory. If you can find a GA61 crossmember it's a bolt-in proposition, otherwise you'll have to fabricate custom engine mounts.

Personally I think a 1G is too small for an MA61, especially when you have that big long engine bay which can easily swallow a 1JZ-GTE or a 7M-GTE. If you're going to all the trouble of an engine conversion, why not make it really worthwhile?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 supra, converting to a 1G-GTE? Wed, 10 December 2003 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehehehe....

ive got engine mounts, sump and oil pump that'll bolt right up to a 7mgte to drop right in...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 supra, converting to a 1G-GTE? Wed, 10 December 2003 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie is right in some respects, but I'll have to disagree with him on one point, the 1G is NOT too small for a Mk2...they aren't heavy cars, its just that bigger engines do fit.

He's right in this regard though, if you don't have all the stuff to just bolt it right in (GA61 mounts, crossmember and sump) then it will be no more hassle to fit a 1JZGTE or the like. I chose the 1G because it bolts straight into my car, but had I not the starting point I did I may have gone a different engine.

Basically the 1G would be a nice engine in the car, but if you have to go to the trouble of fabricating bits or finding hard to get bits, you could probably get something else.
Aliencorolla
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: MA61 supra, converting to a 1G-GTE? Thu, 11 December 2003 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok I already have the engine from a previous car and dont have the money to put in a bigger engine, wher can i get a GA61 cross member from, numbers for wreckers please, I have to get this done asap, as Im in melbourne there arnt many wreckers that will have this, is it an imported model of mine or was it released in australia.
I do need help with this as I will need to do it befor the end of january.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 supra, converting to a 1G-GTE? Thu, 11 December 2003 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't know any wreckers in Melbourne, and I started with one. It is an imported version of the MA61 Supra, sometimes called a Celica XX but most wreckers stick to the modelling conventions.
Astroboy007
Regular

October 2003
Re: MA61 supra, converting to a 1G-GTE? Fri, 12 December 2003 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1ggte is for girls cars like corollas and the like, why not takes norbies suggestion and spend the money the right way on a motor you will be more satisfied with and the same cost too
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: MA61 supra, converting to a 1G-GTE? Fri, 12 December 2003 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Sheesh! Shocked

1GGT's put out a fair wallop of power - torque may not be as good as a 7M or JZ, but remember, we're talking about an upgrade from a 130ish 5ME or 1GEU boat anchor.

GA61's pop up in the trade posts occasionally - usually cheap. Otherwise, there are a supposedly a stack in NZ - you could get someone over there to send you the x-member and whatever else you'd need. Andy S. from NZ, with the 7MGTE MA61, has offered to source GA60 series x-members in the past.

Good luck!

Justin
JZA61
Dabbid
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: MA61 supra, converting to a 1G-GTE? Fri, 12 December 2003 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey astroboy, what do u drive??
and have u ever seen a 1ggte in a corolla??
i bet it would piss all over whatever it is ur driving

alien corolla, i'll sell u some mounts to bolt in a 1 or 2jz
all u need is 2jz-ge bellhousing to go onto ur original gearbox
Aliencorolla
Occasional Poster

October 2003
Re: MA61 supra, converting to a 1G-GTE? Fri, 12 December 2003 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont you guys read this, I have the engine already and dont want to get a bigger engine. I beg to differ with any one saying that a 1G-GTE does not put out any power as there is a Celica down here with one in it and does 10sec flat just about its on fullboost.com in the records if any one is keen to look, the mods for it consist of cams reground and T4 hybrid, a front mount, computer and exhaust. the rest of the engine is stock. he went through 3 blocks to get it tuned to do this but it is still stock bottom end and valves as far as I know.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 supra, converting to a 1G-GTE? Sat, 13 December 2003 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another well researched conversion Rolling Eyes . Well done for buying the engine and THEN wondering how the fuck you might get it in.

Plan A: GA61 X member. Bolt it in.
Plan B: custom engine mounts upper on your MA61 bottoms. Use the gearbox Xmember as your reference point.

Cheers.

PS: stop quoting MORBST's figures as some sort of justification for the conversion. That car weighed 400kg less than your bloated MA61. Your 1GGTE MA61 will NEVER do 10's.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: MA61 supra, converting to a 1G-GTE? Sat, 13 December 2003 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Sat, 13 December 2003 19:27

Another well researched conversion Rolling Eyes . Well done for buying the engine and THEN wondering how the fuck you might get it in.

Plan A: GA61 X member. Bolt it in.
Plan B: custom engine mounts upper on your MA61 bottoms. Use the gearbox Xmember as your reference point.

Cheers.

PS: stop quoting MORBST's figures as some sort of justification for the conversion. That car weighed 400kg less than your bloated MA61. Your 1GGTE MA61 will NEVER do 10's.

Gezzz Dave bad day?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 supra, converting to a 1G-GTE? Sat, 13 December 2003 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No shit Shocked
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 supra, converting to a 1G-GTE? Sun, 14 December 2003 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but dave's right ...people who use drag figures when talking about everyday drivers ....wheres the relevance...theres a little thing called "low down torque" and it has a "slight" affect on drivability..

Im not sure if the 1GGTE will suit a MA61.weight is 1250kg - yes?
well 200sx and wrx's weigh more than that using on 2.0lt turbo power and no one doubts theyre decent performers.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: MA61 supra, converting to a 1G-GTE? Sun, 14 December 2003 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
arent 1G's 2L?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 supra, converting to a 1G-GTE? Sun, 14 December 2003 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aus-spec MA61 is around the 1350kg mark, although I expect it would be a little less with a 1G though. Not sure how much though, no-one has actually weighed such a beast yet!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 supra, converting to a 1G-GTE? Sun, 14 December 2003 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes Dave's car is the extreme, but what you said is part of my reasoning. Compared to a modern car, 1250-1300kg is a light weight for the average 2l turbo performance car, so the 1GGTE will go well.
The fact that the MA61 will take larger engines is the case, nothing to do with weight Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: MA61 supra, converting to a 1G-GTE? Sun, 14 December 2003 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Sun, 14 December 2003 16:59

Aus-spec MA61 is around the 1350kg mark, although I expect it would be a little less with a 1G though. Not sure how much though, no-one has actually weighed such a beast yet!

Considering your black Supra weighed 1297kg with a bit of fuel when being weighed for rego I don't think they weigh that much! Smile
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA61 supra, converting to a 1G-GTE? Sun, 14 December 2003 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Sun, 14 December 2003 20:00

Norbie wrote on Sun, 14 December 2003 16:59

Considering your black Supra weighed 1297kg with a bit of fuel when being weighed for rego I don't think they weigh that much! Smile

Indeed it did weigh 1297kg Cool

Now to weigh in with a JZ Very Happy
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 supra, converting to a 1G-GTE? Sun, 14 December 2003 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well there you go... then again, maybe it was missing 50kg of bolts after my one-afternoon engine conversion? Laughing
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA61 supra, converting to a 1G-GTE? Mon, 15 December 2003 07:17 Go to previous message
Surprising......No Smile
Scary....perhaps! Shocked
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:delete me...
Next Topic:flat battery and thermo fan
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 08:42:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0082509517669678 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.