Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Car idles rough and stalls,when AC is turned [ON]??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
icon5.gif  Car idles rough and stalls,when AC is turned [ON]?? Wed, 07 January 2004 12:49 Go to next message
I have a 1992 Toyota Camry sv21, I have a problem where if i turn on the Air Conditioner the car starts to idle rougly and it has once stalled on me also while coasting or drive down a hill with no accelerater usage. I will have my car standing still and running fine at 1000rpm while idling, then i turn on the Airconditioner and it starts to idle rougly going from 900 to 800 to 600 to 700 Rpm's, as long as i give it gas while driving it is quite fine but as soon as i let go of the gas it starts to idle and sometimes can stall. The actual air conditioner is not cooling at the moment, i need to get it re-gassed, could this problem be solved after i re-gass the airconditioner?, what can the problem be?.

thank you, any help is appreciated.
  Send a private message to this user    
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Car idles rough and stalls,when AC is turned [ON]?? Wed, 07 January 2004 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My guess would be that the AC idle-up switch is not working. Usually, when you turn on the AC, a switch will activate a vacuum operated process that increases the idle to compensate for the increase load from the AC. If this isn't working, the extra load will slow the engine down, often to the point where it stalls.
I'm not familiar with your model of car so I can't tell you where that switch is likely to be located. I doubt if regassing will improve the situation as if you gas pressure is low, regassing can only increase the load. The people who do the regassing however should be able to fix the idle problem.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Car idles rough and stalls,when AC is turned [ON]?? Wed, 07 January 2004 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah its the idle up switch, my ma61 used to do it as well!
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Car idles rough and stalls,when AC is turned [ON]?? Wed, 07 January 2004 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can adjust a funny little idle control valve on the throttle body I think which helps here.. I think... I could be wrong..

but it is like a plastic hex thing with a spring under it to like a diaphram or something

you can see it in this picture

http://homepage.mac.com/andrewlincolne/.Pictures/P hoto%20Album%20Pictures/2003-10-15%2006.23.26%20-0 700/Image-ACC3A09AFF1011D7.jpg

it is sort of left and down a little from the TVIS sign immediately above the "OY" of toyota, or the 2nd spark plug lead. you can twist it and that affects the control when AC comes on and stuff, I THINK...

correct me if I am wrong boys... but when I ajdusted it my car went wierd when AC or my fans or whatever turned on...
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Car idles rough and stalls,when AC is turned [ON]?? Wed, 07 January 2004 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually come to think of it, my fans are electric.. shouldn't make any difference at all.. oh well
smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Car idles rough and stalls,when AC is turned [ON]?? Wed, 07 January 2004 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanx, a lot guys for the speedy response, greatly appreciated Smile.

thanx again Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 07 January 2004 22:16]

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Car idles rough and stalls,when AC is turned [ON]?? Wed, 07 January 2004 13:13 Go to previous message
yeah no kidding man, sweating from pores I didn't even know I had... yuck!

I need mine regassed to right now = no a/c = nasty! Sad

I need someone with dodgy old gas... I have heard butane is good.. Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Just Wondering
Next Topic:Flywheel Q
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 10:44:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051140785217285 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.