Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » grinding noise, oil everywhere, smoke, pull over, HELP! ma70

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

icon13.gif  grinding noise, oil everywhere, smoke, pull over, HELP! ma70 Fri, 09 January 2004 05:53 Go to next message
afternoon

okay, so heres the story, I'm driving home this arvo, about 27dec out side, i come around a corner and plant it a bit, prolly boosted to 3-4psi, then i smell smoke, look down in the foot well, then to the bonnet and smoke was pissing out.

grabbed my extinguisher ready (me getting paranoid lol) open the bonnet and have a look, the turbos heat shield is just covered in oil, all over the brake booster ect and up under the bonnet. let it cooled down took off the heat shield and there was no oil on the turbo, took off the front pipe to it and there is oil in side, more then there usually is.

the dip stick stick was poking up a little as if the oil has come outa there or something, is that possible?
i started the car after checking everything, put a ltr of oil in to be safe first, then started it and no oil leaks anywhere.

does anyone know whats going on? is it just a shagged turbo or could it be something else?

thanks
geoff

edit:

okay iv just pulled the intercooler pipes off, to get to the bottom of the turbo, and oil pretty much just ran out of them.
whats that a sigh of?

[Updated on: Fri, 09 January 2004 06:06]

Send a private message to this user    
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: grinding noise, oil everywhere, smoke, pull over, HELP! ma70 Fri, 09 January 2004 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did you pressurise the crankcase somehow and blow the dipstick out - and a purge of oil out along with it?
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: grinding noise, oil everywhere, smoke, pull over, HELP! ma70 Fri, 09 January 2004 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like failed/blocked PCV valve - so oil (and crankcase gasses) tries to escape out of every seal (dipstick, front/rear crank seals, turbos, valves, cam covers, etc).

also, turbo oil-seal(s) may have failed (hence extra oil inside induction system).

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: grinding noise, oil everywhere, smoke, pull over, HELP! ma70 Fri, 09 January 2004 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that's happened to my brother on more than 1 occasion - dipstick pops out, and covers everyhting on that side (turbo etc) in oil, which promtly makes it look like his car is on fire
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: grinding noise, oil everywhere, smoke, pull over, HELP! ma70 Fri, 09 January 2004 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
grinding noise is the one that worrys me!

check the oil level in the engine whats the dipstick say?

Not an auto cooler line come off is it?

Allan
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: grinding noise, oil everywhere, smoke, pull over, HELP! ma70 Fri, 09 January 2004 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check the turbo also take off the intake pipe for the turbo.. does it still spin freely? does it look like the compressor wheel has hit the cover?

Allan
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: grinding noise, oil everywhere, smoke, pull over, HELP! ma70 Fri, 09 January 2004 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Fri, 09 January 2004 22:38

which promtly makes it look like his car is on fire

"like" its on fire??

i dare say that counts as "on fire"

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: grinding noise, oil everywhere, smoke, pull over, HELP! ma70 Fri, 09 January 2004 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, the smoke coming out makes it look like it's on fire.

I cringed when he told me the story and mentioned he "popped the bonnet to have a look" (rule no.1: when under bonnet may be on fire, do not open unless you have a fire extinguisher).. but it was just smoking everywhere, no fire
twincam_ke20
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: grinding noise, oil everywhere, smoke, pull over, HELP! ma70 Fri, 09 January 2004 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the chuckster, you are right, the pipes on top of the cam covers were kinked ect, there for leading for it to escape another way, i.e through the dip stick.

allan, as for the turbo movement.

well, took it all off tonight, and well, its farrrrked impeller moves up and down about 1cm! and back & fowards 3-4mm

so the turbo is fucked.

motor oil was about half way up the dip stick when at running temp, is that to low?
so yeh, I'm guessing cos there is so much movement in the turbo that oil has been sucked/pushed through all the cooler pipes ect, and covered the back of my car as well with oil.

there was no smoke coming out of the exhaust.

is it worth re building the ct26 and going all out getting it hi-flowed ect??

or would i be better of finding another ct26 or something else?

cos really, atm im up shit creek with out a paddle Sad
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: grinding noise, oil everywhere, smoke, pull over, HELP! ma70 Fri, 09 January 2004 20:23 Go to previous message
Could be leeking boost into the sump aswell...

As for hi-flow or not i suggest you read up on supra forums on all the pro and cons of it and work out what you want from the car....

Allan
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:20V into a AE92
Next Topic:4age loom wiring
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 04:47:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049920082092285 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.