Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Major Clod
Regular

August 2003
18R Bottom End vs 18RG Bottom End Fri, 16 January 2004 02:43 Go to next message
Hey guys,

I've been looking around on the net for some answers to a few questions, but haven't really been able to get a clear answer.

Just how different is the bottom end of an 18R to an 18RG. I've read a few things like the dip stick being on different sides etc, but are there any major performance and reliability differences. Reason being is that I have three 18R's at the moment, but what I'm after is an 18RG.

Rather than searching around for an 18RG, I have access to an 18RGU head for a reasonable price, and was thinking of putting it on one of my 18R bottom ends.

Would there be any major performance or reliability differences between an original 18RGU or an 18R with an 18RGU head?

Cheers,

Ryan
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 18R Bottom End vs 18RG Bottom End Fri, 16 January 2004 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In terms of reliability there's nothing between them, however converting an 18R to DOHC is more hassle than it's worth. For starters you have to swap all the timing gear and the pistons; there are a few other things to be done as well but that alone is enough to make it non-worthwhile. Just look around for a complete 18R-G, they're pretty cheap these days!
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 18R Bottom End vs 18RG Bottom End Fri, 16 January 2004 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shame your in brisbane i have a rg bottom end in a block still in one piece with a cracked block that will very possibly be up for sale soon
ra23mad
Forums Junkie

September 2003

Re: 18R Bottom End vs 18RG Bottom End Fri, 16 January 2004 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've had it done to mine - 18rg head onto 18r block because mine previous died...

A mechanic friend (DPS Mechanical - in Adelaide SA) did all of the work and I came out with a bill of $2000.00 (there abouts) at mates rates...

From what I understand there's a fair few small things to look out for ...

eg.. neading valve shims or something like that...

but I've had no dramas with mine at all since the conversion Smile

[Norbie] You're lucky too get 18rg's there -- in SA rare as hens teeth - I even started loooking interstate before we got the idea of doing the 18r into 18rg conversion.

Wreckers in SA don't wanna hear 18rg...
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 18R Bottom End vs 18RG Bottom End Fri, 16 January 2004 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
18rg cranks are forged compared to cast in the 18r i have 3 for sale at the moment
Major Clod
Regular

August 2003
Re: 18R Bottom End vs 18RG Bottom End Fri, 16 January 2004 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers for the help guys, clears a few things up. Think I'll just keep an eye out for a complete 18RG. My old man is a mechanic so rebuilding costs are not a problem, but yeah I still don't want to have to screw around replacing this from here and that from there.

Thanks again,

Ryan
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 18R Bottom End vs 18RG Bottom End Fri, 16 January 2004 11:04 Go to previous message
If you interested i have a 18rgu bottem end that you can buy. Its the block with pistons and crank. Also the timing gear is there but needs new guides. Hows $70 sound. let me know if your interested or not. Would be better option then the 18r block as the pistons on the 18r's are different to the 18rgu and i think you would loose compression.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:quick tech question. Please help.
Next Topic:PROBLEM 4AGE into AE86
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 13:53:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046560764312744 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.