Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Who knows 7M's/MA71's in Sydney!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
EzeKieL
Regular

May 2002

Who knows 7M's/MA71's in Sydney! Sun, 04 August 2002 01:31 Go to next message
Hey everyone,

I'm after a mechanic in Sydney who knows the 7M motor well, preferrably when it's in the supra Laughing

I have afew niggling problems with my MA71... this strange clicking noise when I give it pedal and also a loud WHEEEEEER noise at high boost (turbo/bov/ic piping?)

The dude I currently take it to at the local servo reckons he doesn't notice any weird noises.. but I know my car and they were not there when I bought her! Cry

So how do you guys trust to look after your 7M's?

Oh and one more thing... my car is a '89 turbo + targa model. Of course these only came out in Auto and after rounding wakefield afew times, it just isn't the same.
I'm looking into doing a manual conversion, so I need some advice on where/how to get it done. I would love to do it myself, but I simply haven't the experience (or knowledge) to do it right the first time.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
Ed.
  Send a private message to this user    
mr supra
Regular

July 2002

Re: Who knows 7M's/MA71's in Sydney! Sun, 04 August 2002 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey, I've got a 7m, aero top manual, pretty sure you wil need to change computer to go to manual as there are various sensors for the transmission etc, but I'm not real sure there.

The gearbox itself seems like a right vagina of a thing to get out! Gotta unbolt the clutch through little holes in the side and all sorts of rubbish....

I know it isn't really helping much but its really hard to find a decent mechanic, go and talk to a whole bunch, see what they say you shouild find one who isn't a complete idiot after a week or so..hehe
mr supra
Regular

July 2002

Re: Who knows 7M's/MA71's in Sydney! Sun, 04 August 2002 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just remembered....I know of a couple in wollongong who know about 7m's, one used to spanner for the european rally team and such...
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Who knows 7M's/MA71's in Sydney! Sun, 04 August 2002 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah... dont need to change the ecu if going from auto to manual box. you will need to bridge a few terminals in the ex gearbox loom plugs to convine the ecu that the auto box is in park so that it will let you start the car.

cheers
ed
Techie_Mark
Regular

May 2002
Re: Who knows 7M's/MA71's in Sydney! Sun, 04 August 2002 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Easiest (if there's such a thing) and cheapest (same applies) is to buy yourself a MA70 Manual front-cut.. they can be had from about $2.5K .. this makes things a lot easier as you need to fit the clutch pedal, the clutch master, and various misc others that will be found on the f/c.. although (apparently) you can trick the Auto ECU, it's also going to be a *lot* easier to just plug in the manual ECU.
EzeKieL
Regular

May 2002

Re: Who knows 7M's/MA71's in Sydney! Mon, 05 August 2002 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmmm.. might see if anyone wants to go halves in a front cut one of these days Wink

thanks for the info fellas... oh btw - still looking for someone in Sydney I can trust with my 7M! suggestions?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Who knows 7M's/MA71's in Sydney! Mon, 05 August 2002 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't trust my car to any workshop. Every single time I've had to deal with a mechanic, I've regretted the day I ever set foot in his workshop. I've resolved never to do it again if I can avoid it!
EzeKieL
Regular

May 2002

Re: Who knows 7M's/MA71's in Sydney! Wed, 07 August 2002 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe I am hesitant aswell mate... but without a comprehensive knowledge of my engine, I don't really have a choice?
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Who knows 7M's/MA71's in Sydney! Thu, 08 August 2002 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rigoli knows alot about 7m's for power point of view but it sounds like you need someone cheaper.

Re: Who knows 7M's/MA71's in Sydney! Thu, 08 August 2002 03:08 Go to previous message
EzeKieL wrote on Sun, 04 August 2002 11:31 AM

Hey everyone,

I have afew niggling problems with my MA71... this strange clicking noise when I give it pedal and also a loud WHEEEEEER noise at high boost (turbo/bov/ic piping?)

Could this be Detonation and then compressor endfloat ??

Have heard similar turbo noises, usually means its on the way out.

Matt

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic: gt starlet no turbo is this..........................
Next Topic:Spark Plugs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 00:33:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062198638916016 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.