Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Upgrade from F to G series diff in a GX81

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MRJZX
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Upgrade from F to G series diff in a GX81 Thu, 22 January 2004 02:57 Go to next message
I've just finished my 1JZ conversion into my GX81 (factory 1G-GE).

My problem now is that I can't find any LSD's for my factory F diff.

Does anyone know if I can use a G diff out of a MK3 Supra or something along with the shafts as an upgrade?
  Send a private message to this user    
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Upgrade from F to G series diff in a GX81 Thu, 22 January 2004 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seriously doubt the G series will fit in the F housing, even though they are close to the same size, I don't think that the flange plates are the same size (where you bolt up the tailshaft) and I even reckon the axles themselves will be too long, plus you have to muck around adapting them from the drum's to disk's.
I have not done this mod, and I'm willing to be proved wrong here too !
Cheers,
Mitch.
MRJZX
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: Upgrade from F to G series diff in a GX81 Thu, 22 January 2004 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If my car was only live axle it would've been so simple.
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Upgrade from F to G series diff in a GX81 Thu, 22 January 2004 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message

MA61 Celica-Supras have F series LSDs. And if you're planning to make big 1JZ power through an F series diff (like me Very Happy ), you can get a Torsen style Detriot Tru-track diff centre to fit.
See: www.rabidchimp.com. Same as Norbie and Ed. have done.

Good luck,

Justin
JZA61
MRJZX
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: Upgrade from F to G series diff in a GX81 Thu, 22 January 2004 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome! Just a case of how long til I break axles Smile
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Upgrade from F to G series diff in a GX81 Thu, 22 January 2004 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
interesting u have F diff in 80 series cressy, i would have thought they all came with G's just like the local MX83's

got any pics?
MRJZX
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: Upgrade from F to G series diff in a GX81 Thu, 22 January 2004 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My car is an import Mark II.

Came with a W55 and F diff.

Celica-Sue, what box are you using with your 1JZ?
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Upgrade from F to G series diff in a GX81 Thu, 22 January 2004 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

For now, I'm using the JZX90 Autosluskbox. When I have the funds, I'll try hoking up a W58 oout of a 2JZGE MkIV Supra and Haltech E6X.

Wiring on the JZX90 is a bitch - in case you haven't figured that out yet. Razz

Good luck,

Justin
JZA61
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Upgrade from F to G series diff in a GX81 Thu, 22 January 2004 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll probably find you can swap in a complete G series subframe from an MX83 Cressida. It will be plug and play, or pretty close to it. Finding one might be a bit of a challenge, but keep your eyes open for a wreck and you might get lucky!

Failing that, the above suggestion to purchase a new TrueTrac helical LSD for your existing diff is a good one. It will cost you $800-1000 landed, depending on whether you get hit with customs (I did). F series diffs are quite strong, and the TrueTrac centre is heaps better than any factory clutch-type LSD I've tried.
supra1978
Regular

February 2003
Re: Upgrade from F to G series diff in a GX81 Thu, 22 January 2004 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perhaps you could fit the rear-end of a late MX83 Grande? (Probably mean changing almost everything out back!)
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Upgrade from F to G series diff in a GX81 Thu, 22 January 2004 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MA70's rears are supposed to be quite similar too.. you could look into that.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Upgrade from F to G series diff in a GX81 Thu, 22 January 2004 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The MA70 centre is the same, but the housing is different. MX83 halfshafts will also be needed. Basically it's easiest to get the whole MX83 shebang and chuck it in there!
MRJZX
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: Upgrade from F to G series diff in a GX81 Thu, 22 January 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Celia-Sue wrote on Thu, 22 January 2004 15:12

For now, I'm using the JZX90 Autosluskbox. When I have the funds, I'll try hoking up a W58 oout of a 2JZGE MkIV Supra and Haltech E6X.

Wiring on the JZX90 is a bitch - in case you haven't figured that out yet. Razz

Good luck,

Justin
JZA61

Ahh I see.

I looked at the factory wiring, half of mine was hacked pretty bad so I bought a Haltech.

That LSD looks good. I think I might go with that.

I'll have a hunt around at the wreckers for the MX83. Should be able to get the whole rear end cheap enough, even if it is just to attempt.

Where does every get their 1JZ-W bellhouses'?
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Upgrade from F to G series diff in a GX81 Thu, 22 January 2004 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2JZ-GE's are probably the easiest.

how much does a MKIII tail go for?

below is a pic of a MA70 diff (housing and all) adapted to an MX83. Its up to you either way you want to do it:

http://jzxproject.com/images/diff2_1.jpg
http://jzxproject.com/images/diff2_2.jpg

Quote:

My reasoning behind using the MKIII housing: Why I admit that just swapping the internals over to the Cressida housing allows for a cleaner and simpler installation I feel using the MKIII housing is still justifiable. Using proper installation you get the following benefits; larger oil capacity for LSD, finned outer casing for better cooling, thicker casting for a stronger housing, and 4 point mounting to reduce the chance of breaking the sub frame under heavy load.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 January 2004 09:15]

speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Upgrade from F to G series diff in a GX81 Thu, 22 January 2004 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey a bit off topic, but would a 2JZ-GE flywheel fit a 1JZ-GTE/W58 combo?
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Upgrade from F to G series diff in a GX81 Thu, 22 January 2004 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Der
ill search first next time
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Upgrade from F to G series diff in a GX81 Fri, 23 January 2004 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 22 January 2004 15:57

Failing that, the above suggestion to purchase a new TrueTrac helical LSD for your existing diff is a good one. It will cost you $800-1000 landed, depending on whether you get hit with customs (I did)...

I got my TrueTrac in a month or so ago and didn't get hit by customs... It depends on the box, packaging and also *Time of the Year*. Though I got slamed hard for another component by customs.

Cheers.
MRJZX
Occasional Poster

January 2004
Re: Upgrade from F to G series diff in a GX81 Fri, 23 January 2004 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do they make TrueTrac LSD's for G series?
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Upgrade from F to G series diff in a GX81 Sat, 24 January 2004 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MRJZX wrote on Sat, 24 January 2004 04:53

Do they make TrueTrac LSD's for G series?

From my current understanding that the TureTrac diff only made for F series(7.5')for Toyota, and some ford and chevs.

Cheers
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Upgrade from F to G series diff in a GX81 Sat, 24 January 2004 04:10 Go to previous message
They make TrueTrac's for a huge range of stuff, and yes you can get them for G series diffs. Aaron from RabidChimp said he was able to source them.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:6mge Pistons
Next Topic:Decent aftermarket computers/ chips
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 06:32:22 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059859752655029 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.