Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » what do u recommend?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
chutz_pah
Regular

September 2002
what do u recommend? Tue, 03 February 2004 00:49 Go to next message
hey guys...

i'm trying to work out what engine upgrade for my current 1.6ltr 2t engine in my 73 model ta22 should i get...

currently it's an auto but i wish to upgrade that to a w series supra 5-speed...

i haven't much knowledge on engines, but i'm trying to learn...

i'm after an engine that is relatively easy to install, must be at least a 1.8ltr twin cam (however i'd prefer a 2.0ltr) and i'd like to attach a supercharger to it... (i prefer that than a turbo). but an engine made for turbo's tell's me it could handle the swapping over to a supercharger...

powerwise, i'm not after a crazy amount of power... i'd just like to have more than enough to take off maybe some vl or vn common whores... (i mean commodores *cough* *cough*)...

anyhow... what do people think would be best suited....?

Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: what do u recommend? Tue, 03 February 2004 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3TGTE...
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: what do u recommend? Tue, 03 February 2004 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1GGZE.....
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: what do u recommend? Tue, 03 February 2004 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3TGTE will be cheaper and easier to install (it's basically a bolt in swap), and more readily available compared to the 1GGZE.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: what do u recommend? Tue, 03 February 2004 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Plus its a TA22 which a 1G is too long for...
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: what do u recommend? Tue, 03 February 2004 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They can be fitted, but it involves moving alot of things around which only adds to expense. The disadavantage of the 1G series of engines is also their weight - they're bloody huge!
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: what do u recommend? Tue, 03 February 2004 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*cough* 1UZ-FE *cough*
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: what do u recommend? Tue, 03 February 2004 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CLG wrote on Tue, 03 February 2004 10:33

They can be fitted, but it involves moving alot of things around which only adds to expense. The disadavantage of the 1G series of engines is also their weight - they're bloody huge!

I beg to differ! The one sitting on my engine stand in the workshop is barely any bigger than my 21R-C.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: what do u recommend? Tue, 03 February 2004 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but the 21r-c was also a bit of a boat anchor Smile
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: what do u recommend? Tue, 03 February 2004 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, and a 21RC is bigger than a 2T, or a 3TGTE!!! Evil or Very Mad weigh it and you'll find out - been there done that!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: what do u recommend? Tue, 03 February 2004 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But still, for an inline six, the 1G is tiny...compare it to an RB20 and it looks midget like.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what do u recommend? Tue, 03 February 2004 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For ease of fitment, a T series engine is the go; either a 2T-GEU or a 3T-GTEU, whatever you can find easily. However if you'd like something a bit more modern and already supercharged, a 4A-GZE is probably your best bet.

The problem with TA22's is their tiny engine bay, so even fitting something like an 18R-G isn't as easy as you'd think. That's why I suggest sticking with the little T series or A series engines.
chutz_pah
Regular

September 2002
Re: what do u recommend? Thu, 05 February 2004 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks guys, ur replies have been helpful and backup the responses i've been hearing around the place...

all in all the 3t series sounds more like the one for me...

however there are variations in the 3t series...

3tsgte
3tgt
3tgteu... etc... i'm sure there's more and i'm sure i didn't spell one of them correctly, but u get the gist...

so what is the list of 3t eninges?
and what's the difference between each of these engines?...
are there one's with better power or esier installation maybe?

also, which celica's do these engine's come out of, and are they found in other toyota cars such as the corolla or corona or even maybe a hilux??

[Updated on: Thu, 05 February 2004 14:40]

chutz_pah
Regular

September 2002
Re: what do u recommend? Sun, 08 February 2004 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys... can anyone help with the info i metioned in the post above...

thanks...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: what do u recommend? Sun, 08 February 2004 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd recommend looking here: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Pit/9975/dataBy Subject/GasolineEngines.html#T-series

That can show you all the 3T variations. Basically the only one worth the effort of a conversion is the 3TGTEU.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what do u recommend? Sun, 08 February 2004 14:28 Go to previous message
chutz_pah wrote on Fri, 06 February 2004 00:38

so what is the list of 3t eninges?

There are only two really.

1. 3T-C: 1.8 litre OHV carby, NA of course. As found in the T18, but never fitted to a Celica as far as I'm aware. You don't want one of these.

2. 3T-GTEU: 1.8 litre DOHC EFI twin-spark turbo. This was fitted to the TA63 Celica (early 80's) and the Carina of the same era, and probably others as well. Later engines had a water-cooled turbo while earlier ones had an oil-cooled turbo, but there are no other variations I'm aware of.

So just grab a 3T-GTEU and chuck it in, there are no significant differences to worry about and I've only seen one power figure quoted for them (ie 160bhp).
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Gearbox Problems
Next Topic:where to find a supra 6-speed?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 00:41:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005079984664917 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.