Toymods » Tech & Conversions » URGENT HELP Hilux Diff Shortening

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
QIK 3SGTE
Regular

September 2003
URGENT HELP Hilux Diff Shortening Thu, 05 February 2004 00:00 Go to next message
Hi
I am taking my diff in to get shortened. It is in a TA22 Celica and the diff is about 40mm too wide overall. With that being the case I wanted to shorten it 20mm each side, however after talking to Craft Diffs and Diff Technics they both think that Hilux axles can not be shortened a great deal, without going into great expense.

So I need to know from people who have shortened their Hilux Diff how much they shortened it by and what sort of costs they ran into. Also what they think the maximum the axle can be shortened. I have the 1410mm wide Hilux rear.
  Send a private message to this user    
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: URGENT HELP Hilux Diff Shortening Thu, 05 February 2004 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would it be easier/cheaper to try and find the 1370mm Hilux diff?
QIK 3SGTE
Regular

September 2003
Re: URGENT HELP Hilux Diff Shortening Thu, 05 February 2004 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Joel

To start with it would of been, however the diff is in my 22 now and initially I was going to get different offset wheels and do some guard work to make them fit. I rang up the 2 diff places mentioned and Craft was the cheapest offering to shorten the housing and axles and for $320. Not a bad deal I thought. Also my diff is brand new, I know I could interchange the centres/gears, however for $320 it is worth the work, aslong as I can get the desired effect.

TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: URGENT HELP Hilux Diff Shortening Thu, 05 February 2004 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats fair enough. Just out of interest, with different offset wheels were you not able to get it acceptable?

I'm shortly going to be putting a MKII corona diff in the RA28, which I think is 1410 or so as well, as was planning on using different offset wheels to help it fit.

Cheers
Joel
QIK 3SGTE
Regular

September 2003
Re: URGENT HELP Hilux Diff Shortening Thu, 05 February 2004 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats your number Joel
I will give you a buzz so I can have a chat to you about it
QIK 3SGTE
Regular

September 2003
Re: URGENT HELP Hilux Diff Shortening Thu, 05 February 2004 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seeing you didnt give me your number you snobby bastard Very Happy i will jst explain it on here. I have 15x8 Superlites with 225 rubber alround. At the front I have TEIN coilovers which make them fit perfectly. I I go for a different offset I will have to use big spacers at the front which I dont want to do, or just go a different offset at th rear which would look just stupid. So this way I win in every aspect and I get to keep my fat Superlites.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: URGENT HELP Hilux Diff Shortening Thu, 05 February 2004 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hilux axles are very thick and tough, and apprently they're a real bitch to re-spline hence the cost involved. It might be easier and cheaper to get the axles from a 1370mm diff and swap them in, and shorten your 1410mm housing to suit? Just an idea...
QIK 3SGTE
Regular

September 2003
Re: URGENT HELP Hilux Diff Shortening Thu, 05 February 2004 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is a thought, however I have sprinter discs and calipers and a 4 stud conversion on my diff. So the new axles would require some work??
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: URGENT HELP Hilux Diff Shortening Thu, 05 February 2004 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depends what was done to your existing axles. If they were just redrilled to 4-stud, that's no big deal.
QIK 3SGTE
Regular

September 2003
Re: URGENT HELP Hilux Diff Shortening Thu, 05 February 2004 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alright so maybe be I am better of just sourcing some 1370 mm axles. Are they hard to find? What sort of price would you expect to pay? That way the housing would only need to be shortened
1200det
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: URGENT HELP Hilux Diff Shortening Thu, 05 February 2004 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have some 1370mm Axles and Housing with no centre , Ill swap someone for there 1410mm Housing and axles

damien.caldwell@dva.gov.au
QIK 3SGTE
Regular

September 2003
Re: URGENT HELP Hilux Diff Shortening Fri, 06 February 2004 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont suppose you want to sell the axles seperateley?? if so how much? I would swap you my housing and axles except my diff is alady in my 22 and he mounts have been swapped and had adapters made up for the srinter disc/ caliper brakes
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: URGENT HELP Hilux Diff Shortening Fri, 06 February 2004 04:13 Go to previous message
The reason why you cant shorten the axles 20mm is because you have to cut the original spline off, and this is already more than 20mm.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Workshop 4 Supra Diff Centre swap
Next Topic:Rebic LC computer ?!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 05:25:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047459602355957 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.