Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4AFE Fuel Economy?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
icon13.gif  4AFE Fuel Economy? Tue, 17 February 2004 10:52 Go to next message
I've just filled up my girlfriends 4AFE for the 2nd time - she's only had it just under a week. It only got about 320km for approximately 33-35L of petrol Sad . It's done a few trips on the M2 and wakehurst pkwy (above 80km/h). I mean it's not real bad but my 4AGE would do atleast 420 - 450km (in AE82) on the same amount. The 4AFE is in a 91 Corolla Seca Ultima, it is an automatic though.

The car runs well, doesn't miss..bit gutless up hills though. Is there anything I can do. Is the mixture adjustable? Change fuel filter? Injector Cleaner (Anyone recommend good one..heard most are dodgy can deposit shit into engine?)? Check timing? Are these good ideas or is this all I can expect from the little 4AFE.. I was expecting big things..after all it is a corolla and FE stands for fuel economy doesnt it. Any comments are greatly appreciated.

BTW Just put new front struts in it and brake pads today so I'm a bit sick of it. Rides better now but I think could have done with new springs aswell..atleast it doesn't keep bouncing Smile

[Updated on: Mon, 08 March 2004 08:52]

Send a private message to this user    
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 4AFE Fuel Economy? Tue, 17 February 2004 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did search but couldn't find anything relating to 4AFE fuel consumption. Thanks.
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: 4AFE Fuel Economy? Tue, 17 February 2004 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some once said that autos tend to use a little more petrol than mans? and the 4afe is only 76kw so if u try 2 drive it like the 4age u probly end up eatting a bit more petrol eh?
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: 4AFE Fuel Economy? Tue, 17 February 2004 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 4afe in my wagon does about 450km's to 45l's
thats in a 4wd which ahs more drivetrain loss and is more heavy.

HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 4AFE Fuel Economy? Tue, 17 February 2004 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I haven't been trying to drive it like the GE and my gfs been driving most of the time and she is slowww. Anybody know the best steps to take. Would getting a decent mechanic to look at it help. Can they do much with them? That's not bad economy out of the 4wd wagon..according to that this car should be doing a bit better I'd think. Thanks for the input. It seems to be using more fuel than the olds 626 2.0 auto 93 model. Thanks for the replies
hotrolla
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 4AFE Fuel Economy? Tue, 17 February 2004 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would check all filters and change them then see how it goes.
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 4AFE Fuel Economy? Tue, 17 February 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good shout hotrolla. Silly question but do you know where fuel filter is. Is it near tank.. Haynes manual shows pic of it but not where it is? Can you adjust mixture easily on them? Will let you know how it goes.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 4AFE Fuel Economy? Tue, 17 February 2004 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
give the car a good tune.

replace spark plugs, oil, gearbox oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter etc.

My manual 4afe on highway driving got 650kms from 37L once!!!
City driving (spirited) usually gave 450-500kms to 35-40L.
walu
Regular

December 2003
Re: 4AFE Fuel Economy? Tue, 17 February 2004 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My wifes manual 4A-FE gets over 500km per tank.

Fuel filter is a pain in the butt to change.

I'd follow the Witzl advice - change all the consumables first, before going any further.

Air filter blockage would be my first port of call. Blocked fuel filter normally leans it right out.
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 4AFE Fuel Economy? Sun, 07 March 2004 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Still having trouble getting decent fuel economy - It's using about 13L/100kms (Only getting about 300kms per tank) Crying or Very Sad , fair bit city driving but some longer trips:

List of what I've done:

New air filter,
Oil change and filter
Checked timing ..10 degrees BTDC with check engine connector shorted.
Spark plugs and fuel filter were done 5000km ago (before we got car, have receipts)

Car runs smoothly. Could the injectors be clogged (wouldn't it run rough though?). Would the oxygen sensor be worth checking to see this is functioning properly. What's the next course of action you think Confused ? Can't smell any fuel leaks..

Thanks

Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: 4AFE Fuel Economy? Sun, 07 March 2004 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id check the 02 sensor

that helps control the fuel mixture, maybe in the manual there is something to help u check it but if its stuffed then ur car will tend to run rich as it doesnt get a correct mixture reading

also does it have a diagnostic terminal...? in the manual it shows u how to bridge two of the terminals to show trouble codes u might be able to find something there...
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 4AFE Fuel Economy? Sun, 07 March 2004 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had the diagnostic terminals bridged today to check timing but didn't check the fault codes Rolling Eyes . I'll do it next time I'm near the car Flogbag.

Just been doing a bit of reading on the 02 sensor and they reckon that it may not necessarily come up in the fault codes even if it isn't working properly. How much do you think one would be for a 4AFE..is it worth just replacing it or should I check it.. has anyone effectively checked one? What I read was saying the 02 output whould fluctuate at idle between about 0.1 and 0.9 volts if working effectively. To do this can you just unplug the 02 sensor temporartly from the computer?
Thanks
bmak
Regular

May 2002

Re: 4AFE Fuel Economy? Sun, 07 March 2004 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just paid $65 for my 4age oxy sensor

almost all toyota single wire type were listed as the same
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 4AFE Fuel Economy? Sun, 07 March 2004 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Bmak..yeah I was just doing search on oxys and I saw your post from a little while ago..$65 that sounds like a good price. Handy to know all single wire Toyota listed as same. You'd want to get one with the same plug as stock otherwise you'd be stuffing around trying to fit the old connector on I guess? Was you're old one stuffed or where you just setting up the car and you were missing one?
Thanks
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 4AFE Fuel Economy? Sun, 07 March 2004 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wouldn't I see black smoke or feel it running rough. Or if the 02 sensor is crook (and running rich) could it just be using extra fuel without noticing anything in particular. The fuels got to be going somewhere hey?
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 4AFE Fuel Economy? Sun, 07 March 2004 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone with any grand ideas?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4AFE Fuel Economy? Sun, 07 March 2004 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
engines can run pretty rich without blowing smoke. i know mine has between 11.5 and 12.5 at WOT and doesn't.. it also uses around 15-16L/100km's, which is pretty terrible for a 1.3L, but hey you get that Wink

you can check your O2 by spiking the wire to the ECU (from O2 sensor, assuming you have a single wire) and putting a lutimeter on it.. when you are cruising around, the voltage should flick back and forth from maybe 0.2V to 0.8V. this indicates that the ECU is using it's feedback, but doesn't actually tell if it's reading properly.

you could go to somewhere with a gas analyser, do the same, and see if your O2 sensor is switching at stoich?
Cya, Stewart

HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 4AFE Fuel Economy? Sun, 07 March 2004 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Stewart,

Where do you spike the wire to the ECU - at the connector or right at the sensor (if possible?), or at ECU? Was that meant to be multimeter not lutimeter, sorry just checking Laughing

Good idea about the gas analyser - there's one at uni I might try, otherwise to the mechanic we go. That's a lot of fuel for a 1.3 litre, bit of a thirsty litlle sucker Shocked
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 4AFE Fuel Economy? Mon, 08 March 2004 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would the 4AFE oxy sensor have the same flange as the 4AGE. I took mine out today to check it (out of the 4AGE). Maybe I'll put in on the other car (on the 4AFE if it fits) to see if it makes a difference as my car is making decent economy (so assume my 02 sensor working satisfactory). Is there a way to clean them at all or is this a waste of time..

It didn't seem like you could seperate it easily from the flange. If you did buy a universal oxy sensor would you have to buy a ne flange or just knock the old one out somehow?
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 4AFE Fuel Economy? Mon, 08 March 2004 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's a pic of my 4AGE one. I was just reading one of Stewart's old posts in the parts for sale with some nice piccies of the o2 sensors which he was selling..looks like i can unscrew it from the flange Embarassed i.e. if the flange on the 4AFE is different (which probably not I'm guessing). Thanks for the help so far..will let you know the results. I might read up on cleaning o2 sensors to see if it is possible..

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~benl1981/corolla/Throttle%20body%20pics/Oxygen%20sensor%202.JPG
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 4AFE Fuel Economy? Tue, 09 March 2004 06:43 Go to previous message
I would sell the 4A-FE and get her a 4A-GE. Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:corolla's
Next Topic:whats a LSD?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-