Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
AE86/4age/t50 Mon, 15 March 2004 11:43 Go to next message
Has anybody had the problem of noise from the clutch area, ive changed the spigot bearing(it was shagged), thrush bearing(it was shagged too) and the gearbox has had new bearings installed about 5000kms ago, and ive still got the fucking noise.

What else am i meant to do?

Any thoughts.
  Send a private message to this user    
bmak
Regular

May 2002

Re: AE86/4age/t50 Mon, 15 March 2004 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When does it make the noise?

Clutch in or out? in gear or neutral? car moving or not
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86/4age/t50 Mon, 15 March 2004 12:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what kinda noise?

FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: AE86/4age/t50 Tue, 16 March 2004 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When clutch is out, doesnt matter wether its moving or not, as long as the clutch is out.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: AE86/4age/t50 Tue, 16 March 2004 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did you machine the flywheel recently?
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: AE86/4age/t50 Tue, 16 March 2004 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
did you check the gearbox end bearings?
bmak
Regular

May 2002

Re: AE86/4age/t50 Tue, 16 March 2004 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If its when the clutch is out moving or not its most likely the input shaft bearing.

Does it whine more when loaded up in 5th?
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: AE86/4age/t50 Tue, 16 March 2004 10:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Everything has been replaced or inspected.

Things so far.

Full bearing replacement in gearbox $1000 (payed someone)

Spigot and release bearing 1000kms ago $25 (i did this)

New heavy duty clutch and pressure plate and flywheel machine, when motor installed, approx 7000kms ago $400 (payed someone to do)?

And everytime i question the clutch place about the noise they say its the gearbox, and everytime i speak to the gearbox place they say its either the spigot or release bearing?

Who's pulling my dick here, cause i aint enjoying it (normally i would).

Am i plaqued with this noise for life.

Perhaps its the clutch plate rubbing against the flywheel. I might tighten the freeplay in the clutch pedal a little tommorrow, i would normally loosen it but i cant loosen it any further.

bmak: i cant remeber the last time i was in 5th. Noise does get louder (sort of) the faster i go, until the exhuast takes over.

IRA11Y: Its been done by a reputal company.

THE WITZL: The flywheel was exposed to open air when i was mucking around with the sigot and release bearing, but its the same noise everytime. I just cant rid of it.

Thanx heaps guys.

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: AE86/4age/t50 Tue, 16 March 2004 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you got a spare box to try and see if it fixes it??? thats what id do next.. at least then you can narrow down what part of the drivetrain it is.
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: AE86/4age/t50 Tue, 16 March 2004 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
IRA11Y wrote on Tue, 16 March 2004 21:21

have you got a spare box to try and see if it fixes it??? thats what id do next.. at least then you can narrow down what part of the drivetrain it is.

No second gearbox yet, but that is a thought to store in the back of my head.
bmak
Regular

May 2002

Re: AE86/4age/t50 Tue, 16 March 2004 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go for a drive in 4th then change to 5th & see what happens to the noise.
Only do this under light acceleration so other noise doesnt take over.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: AE86/4age/t50 Tue, 16 March 2004 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it is a "grind grind grind grind" sorta noise, i would guess it is the gearbox input shaft bearings, mine makes this noise, and that was the best guess of a few people. considering the price of a rebuild, i just try to live with it.
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: AE86/4age/t50 Tue, 16 March 2004 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill go and do it know?
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: AE86/4age/t50 Wed, 17 March 2004 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bmak wrote on Tue, 16 March 2004 22:04

go for a drive in 4th then change to 5th & see what happens to the noise.
Only do this under light acceleration so other noise doesnt take over.

Nothing changed (only a slight clunk)when i put it into 5th, still the same old noise. The funny thing is its always the same noise it never differs.

There is some sort of sand paper rubbing against metal (thats the only way i could describe it) when engine breaking and when i turn corners quickly in gear and off the accel

Is it possible ive put the clutch disc on the wrong way.

Noise is noticeably louder when i start the car when the clutch is out, just in neutral, (cold start) especially.

This has got me stumped.

[Updated on: Wed, 17 March 2004 12:10]

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: AE86/4age/t50 Wed, 17 March 2004 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like noise is related to engine speed, not output shaft speed? so eliminate everything south of the input shaft bearing.

was there much wear on the pressure plate fingers (from the throwout bearing?)

maybe clutch is in wrong way and the centre is rubbing against or near the spigot bearing - might explain the noise at clutch disengaged and when cold?

have you had a look at the oil in the gearbox?

is starter gears full disengaging from ring gear on flysheel?

or is could be mechanics horror story - like no oil the gearbox, or no thrust washer on the input shaft bearing?

ora dumb thing done by owner (like me who degreased gearbox before reinstalling, forgetting that the throwout bearing was in the bellhousing so i successfully degreased it and had a noisy clutch from day one...

can you get it up on a stand, run in gear and get under to listen for the noise (i know you shouldn't run engines in gear on a hoist ... but what the heck...)
bmak
Regular

May 2002

Re: AE86/4age/t50 Thu, 18 March 2004 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you check for simple things like something rubbing.

When i did the coversion in my ke70 i had to make a dodgy gearbox crossmember to last couple of days.
the pin in the centre of the mount was rubbing & it made an awful noise.
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: AE86/4age/t50 Thu, 18 March 2004 09:56 Go to previous message
Theres oil in the gearbox. Pressure plate fingers werent bent, but they were a little bit shinny from rubbing.

I stuck my head under there today whilst it was idling and the noise in definatly around the clutch/front of gearbox area?

I bet the release bearing is shagged, although it had no noise when i spun it freehand, it did sort of look second hand.

Fuk it im going back to those fuks and demand they fix this shit, its gone on for too fukin long.

Cheers guys ill let you know how i get on.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Corona carbie settings
Next Topic:Toyota Stout Diff (compatible with hilux?)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 06:14:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058450698852539 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.