Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ossh
Newcomer

March 2004
1uzfe on LPG Mon, 22 March 2004 05:36 Go to next message
Hi guys im a new member and just got a question,

im looking at putting a 1uzfe in a 2x4 hilux, which is no problem, however im looking at running it on straight lpg, with the auto.

can anyone shed some light on the subject, has it been done? can it be done, and what might be involved.

many thanks.

ps.
i did do a search but have come up with no straight answers.
  Send a private message to this user    
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: 1uzfe on LPG Mon, 22 March 2004 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it has sparkplugs, it can run on LPG.
the beauty of using LPG on the 1UZFE is that you can 'up' the CR from the more common 10.0:1 CR to the 10.4:1 of the earlier engines - with no probs with detonation.

running straight gas, you will fare much better than any dual fuel system power wise - the gas research carbies are among the best in the world.
that said, they are still carbies... Rolling Eyes

i would use an OMVL convertor (suitable for a worked 351 clevo) and a pair of gas research 440CFM carbies; you'll need a custom top manifold to mount it, but anything worthwhile generally requires work.

good luck Cool
ossh
Newcomer

March 2004
Re: 1uzfe on LPG Mon, 22 March 2004 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the reply,

do you have any ideas on controling the ignition? im guessing it has crank angle sensors that tell the ecu to fire the coils?

thanks again.
3T-GTE
Regular

August 2003
Re: 1uzfe on LPG Tue, 23 March 2004 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can recall a similar conversion done in a Hilux before.

In regards to setting this up I would recommend giving GasResearch a call directly.
You can contact them on +61 (3) 9706-6322... I would probably ask for Joel, I have found him very helpful in the past.. provided he is free to chat (Being good, also makes him very popular)

They should be able to give you some good advice as to what will work, how much, etc.. based on their previous experience.

I am currently running a GasResearch setup on a 3T-GTE turbo. It is not using an ECU (has a separate system for ignition).

If you are looking at getting an aftermarket ECU the other alternative is LPG injection. This is something I am in the process of experimenting with at the moment.

You may want to speak with one of the forum members (MrShin) if you are interested in going down this path... he is currently running LPG injection on his turboed 4A-GTE.

I hope this helps,
3T-GTE

[Updated on: Tue, 23 March 2004 00:54]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1uzfe on LPG Tue, 23 March 2004 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*gently scratches self, wonders if anyone heard*
3T-GTE
Regular

August 2003
Re: 1uzfe on LPG Tue, 23 March 2004 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Michael,

How's it all going? Have you made any more progress?

Last I heard you were sorting out a new design for the fuel rail.
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: 1uzfe on LPG Tue, 23 March 2004 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3T-GTE wrote on Tue, 23 March 2004 11:52

I can recall a similar conversion done in a Hilux before. 3T-GTE

you wouldn't have any info / links on it would you?
i'd be keen to see it done, it's a conversion i've been thinking of.
3T-GTE
Regular

August 2003
Re: 1uzfe on LPG Tue, 23 March 2004 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unfortunately I don't have any links or web information for it...

I thought that the guys at GasResearch had done something very similar to this, which is why I suggested speaking to them.

So unless Google has found a way to search people's brains & provide an index & link for it, I would say you would have to pick up the phone for this one. Wink

I hope this helps.
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: 1uzfe on LPG Tue, 23 March 2004 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3T-GTE wrote on Tue, 23 March 2004 15:38

So unless Google has found a way to search people's brains & provide an index & link for it,

i wouldn't put it past them dude....give it a year or two.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 1uzfe on LPG Tue, 23 March 2004 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u would need the std ecu wired up to do the ignition side of things

then u would need the auto ecu wired up aswell depending what model 1uz u get

so i recon it would be a waste of time

or it might turn out ok if u have lots of money to burn

why do u want to run on lpg

cause it would cost alot more to get it worked out

u would have to wire up the engine as if to run petrol then convert it to lpg

the auto needs the std ecu to work

u can buy a tiptronic controller which makes it full manual shift using buttons on steering wheel
but u cannot run it like a normal auto unless u have std ecus
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1uzfe on LPG Tue, 23 March 2004 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn its lucky for you that I have kept back issues of ZOOM. No30 has a 1UZFE running twin Gasresearch LPG with a blower, and lots of other power producing and wallet reducing goodies. Give these guys a call and suck some knowledge from guys who have done it and done it well.
Powerhouse Performance in the Golden West! 1800 684 060, or www.powerhouse.net

regards Chuck.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1uzfe on LPG Tue, 23 March 2004 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ossh, whereabouts do you live?
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1uzfe on LPG Tue, 23 March 2004 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could, if you can get a hold of it, us a Haltech IG5. Which works well enough, but as said, your auto won't work without the standard ECU.
you could hook up the standard ECU, just don't plug in the fuel rail stuff into the injectors and don't plug the fuel pump shite in. However you will still have to run an AFM (if the 1uz-fe is AFM) which could potentially be a bummer running carbis too.

I can personally speak from experience with respect to the gas research equipment, in saying that it is very good.

I can also say that joel is very good, and he is also a very busy man.

HOwever, don't get him to do anything that he doesn't already know how to do, because this can become a costly excersize. I've done it in advertently, and well, lets just say it became costly. Make sure you have everything you think you need all sorted out and they'll install a ripped system for you.
THe 1uz-fe should run pretty well on straight LPG I would have though.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: 1uzfe on LPG Tue, 23 March 2004 13:48 Go to previous message
ChuckLandwehr wrote on Tue, 23 March 2004 19:47

Damn its lucky for you that I have kept back issues of ZOOM. No30 has a 1UZFE running twin Gasresearch LPG with a blower, and lots of other power producing and wallet reducing goodies. Give these guys a call and suck some knowledge from guys who have done it and done it well.
Powerhouse Performance in the Golden West! 1800 684 060, or www.powerhouse.net

regards Chuck.

As far as i know, Powerhouse closed down a few years ago
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:wiring loom st164 and st165
Next Topic:1GGTE cutting out
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 02:37:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010306119918823 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar