Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

scratches in paint Sat, 10 April 2004 03:13 Go to next message
when you paint a car how bigger scratches will the paint cover up. Example- scratches from sanding and stuff.
  Send a private message to this user    
SLY16V
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: scratches in paint Sat, 10 April 2004 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paint will fill 800grit sandpaper scratches...
celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: scratches in paint Sat, 10 April 2004 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you just spray some spray putty on the rough areas then sand it back with some 4-800 grit sandpaper then paint over will give you a smooth finish
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: scratches in paint Sat, 10 April 2004 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so before i paint it i should sand the whole car with about 800 grit paper then to remove as many scratches as i can. should i use wet and dry or normal paper on the sander. i know you use wet and dry just before you paint
celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: scratches in paint Sat, 10 April 2004 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends on how far you wanna sand down if you wanna sand it a fair bit down use a fairly corse wet and dry like a 120 or something then sand it smooth with a 4-800 paper wet and dry (when it is wet it works better)
then get spray putty to remove any inperfections in the sanding or old paint work whatever there is you can see then sand that with 4-800 grit wet then it should come up pretty smooth that is hw i do it whenver i paint parts of my car and it comes up well
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: scratches in paint Sun, 11 April 2004 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you have scratches and stuff from experience i found that the paint will magnify them!

(needless to say the scratches I'm talking about are from 80 grit to get into the paint)

i'm painting my celica today actually. well priming it before the color goes on - i've hit the celica with 2 coats of high fill rubbed back dry with 800 - it will then get a coat of primer which will be rubbed back wet with 1000 - then the color will get applied.

hope this helps
SLY16V
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: scratches in paint Sun, 11 April 2004 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok these are the different stages, baremetal, etch prime, 4 coats of hi fill, black guide coat,then rub back with 400grit wet till no black guide coat left(if you rub through to bare metal in spots just use some primer surfacer to cover them),then apply another coat of the black guide coat, rub that back with 600grit wet and then 800grit wet till no scratches can be seen (if any spots are rubbed to bare metal again give a light coat of primer surfacer to cover them and then lightly rub them back with 800grit wet) now the top coat colour can be applied and no scratches should be seen....
goodluck dude,

ps make sure you always use a sanding block not an orbital or just hand....

cheers
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: scratches in paint Sun, 11 April 2004 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Iver gone and got a block now because i thought the sander was doing some damages. I was filling some little dint with filler and sabding them back but ik was getting frustrated so i pulled out the 60 grit paper. now there are some scratches and thats why io trying to find the best way to remove them. Ill most likely sand the whole car down somemore and them putty it again and sand it. Ill just keep doing that in areas until it is smooth.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: scratches in paint Sun, 11 April 2004 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi fill *should* fill 60 grit lines.
if it doesnt, then, get some putty and skim over the top of it extremely finely and then use a 320 grit to remove that. then hi fill on top of that and all will be well.
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: scratches in paint Tue, 13 April 2004 02:29 Go to previous message
If you want to get rid of the 60grit scratches make sure that you just keep rubbing it out with finer paper until you get rid of the scratches. e.g 120, then 240, then 400 ect. For the beginer i would not take to the car with anything more than 120grit anything like 60 or 36 you are bound to stuff something up. Bear in mind if you are using an orital sander make sure that you sand it back in a back and forward motion with the sander flat, because if you start to sand back with the ends of the sander to sand a spot down you will end up with high and low spots and these will show up when you have finished spraying the car.
Good luck
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:brake upgrade (st162)
Next Topic:SR20 on Sprinter
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:36:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064959526062012 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.