Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » AW11 Vs. AE86 ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Sat, 17 April 2004 14:16 Go to next message
as the title says....opinons please??

p.s. the S/C aw11 Very Happy Very Happy
  Send a private message to this user    
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Sat, 17 April 2004 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It depends
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Sat, 17 April 2004 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It comes down to personal choice really. I used to own a turbocharged AE86, it had front rear strut braces, king springs, kyb shocks etc, and it doesnt even compare to the handling of my stock aw11 suspension. That could be because my old sprinter was setup badly? or not. I finally bought an aw11 due to the fact of the indestructable driveline e51 gearbox, and stock Supercharged.
GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Sat, 17 April 2004 14:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stock Jspec AE86 GT Apex Vs AW11 S/C
midnight
Regular

November 2003
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Sat, 17 April 2004 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for bang for buck go the s/c aw11.

for the price you will pay if you do manage to locat a GT-apex, you could buy at least 2 s/c aw11s.
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Sun, 18 April 2004 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's what ever tickles your fancy really.

aw11 have more road holding power, lets not forget that.

I think for what they are, JDM apex ae86 are overpriced.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Sun, 18 April 2004 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aw11 is god (little biased)

Aw11 SC feels like a gokart to drive there is no doubt about that, although the sprinter would be light, more chuckable and rev happy than the SC

Personally i want both Wink
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Sun, 18 April 2004 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A nun and a lesbian fall off a tall building. Which one hits the ground first?

Who cares.
midnight
Regular

November 2003
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Sun, 18 April 2004 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I recon that if initial D didnt exist.. 86s wouldn't be worth a whole lot. Imagine if takumi drove an aw11... our cars would probably be worth like 20-30k Rolling Eyes
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Sun, 18 April 2004 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that said a NA mr2 will be light, chuckable, revhappy and have that road holding power Wink
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Sun, 18 April 2004 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
funny you should say that
their turning this into an anime http://www.mangacity.net/main.php?page=overrev
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Sun, 18 April 2004 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would go the AW11, not as pricy and Mid mounted engine.
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Sun, 18 April 2004 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
having owned both, and now having a very modified aw11 right now, the aw11 is better priced in some ways - handles very well in THE DRY. in the wet an ae86 will kill an aw11.

ae86 easier to do work on - more hot-up "bolt on" parts available.

T
GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Sun, 18 April 2004 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for all the replies guys! Yes I've just sold my AE86 and Im looking at buying another car and I've always liked the shape of the AW11 I just want to know how it handles compared to an AE86?

I'm not in particular looking at 'drifting' I want something that is light, handles well and has good aftermarket support in suspension bits.

Where can I find coilovers and LSDs for the AW11 ?

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Sun, 18 April 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a well setup na ae86 vs a well setup na aw11... tough call
cant give the ae86 a na and the 11 a S/C, that not fair Wink

it depends on the 'sport' your using it for, but generally:

aw11 = sticky highway killer, awesome in dry, not so great in wet, limited parts and limited functions due to MR setup, but still fun and nimble

ae86 = nible corner carver, equally great in wet and dry, can be adjusted for any type of function, race, rice, drift, motokhana, drag. all round funcar! Smile
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Sun, 18 April 2004 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
limited parts and functions? i wouldnt go as far as to say that. Check out www.mroc.com or anywhere else for that matter. Have a look at bens 10 second aw11 for instance.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Sun, 18 April 2004 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chill pill dude, its all good!

Wink

fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Sun, 18 April 2004 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AW11!

Although, i would like to put a 3sgte in an ae86 Very Happy
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Sun, 18 April 2004 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh, i wasnt being angry. all chilled Laughing
GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Mon, 19 April 2004 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone know where to get LSDs for the AW11 ? Both for the NA and the S/C? ??
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Mon, 19 April 2004 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.m-msport.com.au/

These guys often have ads in auto action specifically aimed at both the 86 and AW11.

Hope they can help
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Mon, 19 April 2004 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats us.

web site being changed & updated all the time.

yes i can get kaaz lsd units for both the aw11 & ae86 & we are very experienced with both vehicles -

we currently have 3 aw11's (admitteldy one is still in japan - s/c one)
we have a aw11 sports sedan that runs a 2zz (fully spaceframed)
& my project car runs a n/a 3sge with a whole load of other mods

also have played around with ae86 engine conversions as well

T
John K
Regular

August 2003

Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Mon, 19 April 2004 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2 wrote on Sun, 18 April 2004 19:48

AW11!

Although, i would like to put a 3sgte in an ae86 Very Happy

Done it!
Finished running the motor in so the boost and revs go up today.
Cant wait! Evil or Very Mad
As for the aw11 v's ae86: It depends on what you want. It is a close call but in a new magazine ( zoom i think ) they test a starlet turbo v's aw11 v's ae86 and the winner was AE86! Cool
Zhyr
Regular

February 2004
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Tue, 20 April 2004 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think it was hot4s and it the reason the ae86 won it was coz it was the most rounded.
the AW11 is a sports car, whereas the AE86 is a hatch Razz
i think the AE86 wasnt supercharged
John K
Regular

August 2003

Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Tue, 20 April 2004 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, the ae86 wasn't supercharged.
All cars tested were standered, therefore the ae86 was a 4age na
I realy like the aw11, but personaly I would never choose one over an ae86.
I've owned over 20 cars in my life ( vr-4 gelant, fj20t corona, bunch of worked v8's etc.) but I always seem to go back to the ae86. This is my third one, and by the way Initial D had nothing to do with it as I herd about it only a year ago, and I had my first ae86 in 1997.
If Takumi drove an aw11, he would've lost a lot of races! Laughing
Just kidding!
pjaw11sc
Regular

February 2004
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Tue, 20 April 2004 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
=AW11 winner!! (bias)

GTstar, if you want an lsd on the aw11, just buy a g-limited sc, they hav lsd stock. Very Happy

AE86Drift, aw11 is also a corner car, your probably being a little bias to your little baby (arent we all Laughing )

P.S.Nice to see a few blue AW11's here!
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Tue, 20 April 2004 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
._T_. wrote on Sun, 18 April 2004 12:53

having owned both, and now having a very modified aw11 right now, the aw11 is better priced in some ways - handles very well in THE DRY. in the wet an ae86 will kill an aw11.

ae86 easier to do work on - more hot-up "bolt on" parts available.

I would've thought the AW11 would be faster in the wet since it'd have more weight over the driven wheels.
Just requires more balls to push it to the same level. And bloody fast reflexes for when it lets go. Smile

Having never driven either car, I can't comment, but on paper the AW11 seems to have it all over the Corolla.
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Tue, 20 April 2004 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey John,

How does it go?

Oh, and Nark...........An ae86 is a sprinter, not a corolla Laughing
John K
Regular

August 2003

Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Tue, 20 April 2004 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2,
It goes like an animal, and that was at 9psi and 5000 rpm cut-out. When I pick it up tonight it will have 15psi roughly and approx. 7500 rpm, I've had butterflys in my stomach all day. Razz
Its pretty fast off the mark, but the real power comes higher in the speed range. I clock the 180km/h speedo in the ae86 in 5th gear very easily and very quickly, and thats at 5000 rpm.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Tue, 20 April 2004 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fatmr2 wrote on Tue, 20 April 2004 12:37

Oh, and Nark...........An ae86 is a sprinter, not a corolla Laughing

I know an AE86 is a Sprinter.

If I thought it was a FWD Rolla, I never would have made this comment would I? Wink

Nark wrote on Tue, 20 April 2004 12:01

I would've thought the AW11 would be faster in the wet since it'd have more weight over the driven wheels.

I don't think you appreciate my humour yet... hehe
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Tue, 20 April 2004 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John: That's mad man Very Happy I would love to do that conversion one day. One at a time, the mr2 isnt finished yet!

I'd love to know how much power you get in the end.

Hell, if your in sydney i'll give you a run when my cars done Laughing

Nark: you have a weird sense of humour Rolling Eyes

It's all good man Smile
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Tue, 20 April 2004 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not really... Tell an AE86 driver that his car is just a Corolla...

Then you'll understand... Wink
barbel
Regular

May 2002
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Tue, 20 April 2004 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ooh, john gets his car back today... lookout!! now we have to get tony to fix his gearbox and the showdown can begin. haha!!let us know how it goes dude,
John K
Regular

August 2003

Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Tue, 20 April 2004 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Tue, 20 April 2004 14:09

Not really... Tell an AE86 driver that his car is just a Corolla...

Then you'll understand... Wink

You can tell me my car is a corolla, I wouldn't give a stuff.
But I tell you what its one tyre frying corolla Laughing
Plus I consider the corolla's one of the best cars on the road, from the KE10's to the new Sportivos. Cool
John K
Regular

August 2003

Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Tue, 20 April 2004 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Paul,
How're they hangin' ?
Tell Tony he needs a Supra box otherwise he'll keep munching those sprinter boxes. Very Happy
SLY16V
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Tue, 20 April 2004 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"limited parts and functions? i wouldnt go as far as to say that. Check out www.mroc.com or anywhere else for that matter. Have a look at bens 10 second aw11 for instance."

have a look at jem's blue 11.5 sec sprinter.... its got half the amount of power that they mr2 has and its only 0.9 of a second quicker...
also why did they ae86 get all this popularity from its handling aspects for drift and circuit racing ie initial d, drifters in japan and also in bathurst and circuit racing in australia the ae86 had 28 wins from 28 starts back in the day...

i dont see an aw11 do this....

cheers fella's
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Tue, 20 April 2004 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I love my MR2

but its everyman to his own really, go out and drive both see what u like

Its the only way, what anyone else says is just an opinion..
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Tue, 20 April 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gearb0x wrote on Tue, 20 April 2004 22:31

what anyone else says is just an opinion..

Yup, and they'd be opinions based on each individual's driving style...
Some cars change handling characteristics dramatically as you push more and more.
Might be good at 7/10ths but a dog at anything more than that. And if you're an 8/10ths driver, you may be disappointed after hearing 7/10ths drivers rave on about a certain car.
*cough*WRX*cough*
Zhyr
Regular

February 2004
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Tue, 20 April 2004 12:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SLY16V wrote on Tue, 20 April 2004 22:24

also why did they ae86 get all this popularity from its handling aspects for drift and circuit racing ie initial d, drifters in japan and also in bathurst and circuit racing in australia the ae86 had 28 wins from 28 starts back in the day...

perhaps coz it was only sprinters there since all the other cars raced on the proper day?

it probably does handle fine for a hatch Wink

perhaps the AE86 is popular coz its so full of ricey goodness? Very Happy

*puts away his stirring spoon*
GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Tue, 20 April 2004 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think I might have started a war here! Very Happy

Can any of your aw11 guru's tell me if there are any visual differences (i.e. lights, bumper etc etc) from the earliest aw11 to the last one in 89 ?

I think the ae86 drives great but since i've sold mine, I'm moving on to something different.

sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Tue, 20 April 2004 19:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tested both before buying the AE86. In terms of progressive on the limit handling, the AW11 that i drove (a supercharged one with a targa top) was a distant second. I tested the car in the dry and found the rear end to be uncommunicative. It didnt give alot of warning before my panic mode kicked in.

I found that the AW11 did have some poise through the sweeping stuff (close to car dealership in Wangara WA), but i could not feel confident enough (with its rear end progression) to really explore what the car could do with the amount of time i had to drive it.

I think i'd like another go!

Take it easy

James
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Tue, 20 April 2004 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GTStar wrote on Wed, 21 April 2004 03:09

are any visual differences (i.e. lights, bumper etc etc) from the earliest aw11 to the last one in 89 ?

here is a small list of changes throughout the years:
http://shell.deru.com/~sgn1/AW11/Changes.htm

the visual differences i can think of, off hand. the earlier pre -87 ones have a 'flatter' bumper and a small lower lip, they had a flat side engine bay scoop and as far as i know all of the early ones didnt come a rear boot spoiler and no side skirts (and if they did most where black).
heres some pics of a modded early one i fouond quickly on google.
http://www.padandwheels.com/mr2/suspension/intrax/ intrax2.jpg
http://www.padandwheels.com/mr2/suspension/intrax/ intrax1.jpg

while the later ones 87+ have a rounded slightly longer bumper and a bigger/differnet shape lower lip, rear boot spoiler and side skirts (colour matched) etc.
http://www.members.aol.com/feral4mr2/images/mr2original.jpg

the later s/c models came with much nicer tail lights IMO.

Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Wed, 21 April 2004 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
half the amount of power? i thought the JEM car had atleast 205kw, isnt that what it dynoed at on toymods? the mr2 only has 257kw (well only stated) at the wheels, so its about 50kw more for .9 seocond quicker. The sprinter is also lighter than the mr2. I love sprinters, i used to own a Turbo AE86, which can be seen in the 4agte article. An mr2 can grip far more than an ae86, but yes an ae86 is far easier to drive over the limit, ie loose than an mr2.

[Updated on: Wed, 21 April 2004 00:37]

GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Thu, 22 April 2004 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay this is abit out of topic but

whats the going market value for an `85 jap import AW11 NA in reasonable condition with no rust ?

Very Happy

._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Thu, 22 April 2004 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
'85 is pre-update so the suspension is different as well as having no bodykit as such.

may not have power windows as well - in which case i would not spend any more than about $5-6k

T
GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Thu, 22 April 2004 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the one i was looking at infact had

-power windows
-sunroof
-rear spoiler
-sideskirts
-smaller front lip

and it also had shagged suspension and prob warped brakes, i have yet to check it out, but the paintwork and interior is good prob just needs a clean up oh yea and there's a 'thunk' when turning the steering wheel... could it be a steering tie rod?

how much would someone pay for something like that ?

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Thu, 22 April 2004 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i like my ae86, never driven an mr2, so i wouldnt know Smile
GTStar
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Thu, 22 April 2004 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yea another question .. are there any advantages buying a post 87 aw11 as compared to buying an `85 ? ?

[Updated on: Thu, 22 April 2004 13:30]

SLY16V
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Thu, 22 April 2004 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was talking to ben the guy who owns that crazy mr2 and he said it has 500hp at the flywheel... doesnt seem like 50kw difference to me Rolling Eyes

cheers
pjaw11sc
Regular

February 2004
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Thu, 22 April 2004 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got a '87sc jap import about a year and a half ago and paid $6700 (not directly imported, i bought if from the guy who had imported it and had it 8months) for it and its tidy as, i wouldnt even bother goin for the na get an sc it's more fun.

if it has stuffed suspention and warped brakes it its probly only worth 3 or 4 i guess.
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Thu, 22 April 2004 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
500hp @ flywheel. Thats like 370kW! i spoke to him as well, not long ago and he said 257kw@wheels when he ups the boost for dragging. Oh well, i suppose we will never know the real power of his car...
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Fri, 23 April 2004 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GTStar wrote on Thu, 22 April 2004 23:28

oh yea another question .. are there any advantages buying a post 87 aw11 as compared to buying an `85 ? ?

The suspension for one...
They minimised the "driving-driving-oh shit!-spin-spin-spin" aspect of the handling... Smile
midnight
Regular

November 2003
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Fri, 23 April 2004 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
87s have bigger brakes too
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Fri, 23 April 2004 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and they just 'feel better'
bootheman
Regular

March 2003

Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Sun, 30 October 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have had both,

nothing beats the reliabilty of the 4agze aw11, i gave it to it everyday and nothin went rong.

on the other hand with the turbo ae86 i gave it was AWSOME FUN but when she fucked up she fucked up good! but all in all.

i want another ae86 turbo and im currently looking for a new weekend toy. Laughing
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Sun, 30 October 2005 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bootheman wrote on Sun, 30 October 2005 23:02

i have had both,

nothing beats the reliabilty of the 4agze aw11, i gave it to it everyday and nothin went rong.

on the other hand with the turbo ae86 i gave it was AWSOME FUN but when she fucked up she fucked up good! but all in all.

i want another ae86 turbo and im currently looking for a new weekend toy. Laughing

i taaaake my shovel and i.......... Razz
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Sun, 30 October 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stoopid time out TCP error double post thing

[Updated on: Sun, 30 October 2005 14:17]

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Sun, 30 October 2005 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am confused what is everyones problem with aw11's in the wet i am yet to have a problem they are great fun in the wet
illuminatus
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Sun, 30 October 2005 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DAMN U guys, now i want aw11.
they look so cool and oldschool. i love it.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AW11 Vs. AE86 ? Sun, 30 October 2005 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
oldschool? they were made in the 80's!!!!!!
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Brakes- RA23 vs RA28?
Next Topic:wastegate spring pressure on 4agte
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 07:04:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.016473770141602 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.