Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
W58 clutch on 18R-G Tue, 04 May 2004 22:39 Go to next message
Hi all,

I'm planning to turf the W50 in my Celica in favour of a W57, and while I'm at it I'd like to use the 5-puck ceramic clutch out of my Supra (this is a JZA80 clutch).

Now I know this clutch is a fair bit bigger than the W50 clutch so it won't bolt up to the 18R-G flywheel, but I was thinking it might work if I used a 21R/22R flywheel since they came with W5x boxes. Can anyone confirm? I don't want to fork out for a new flywheel if I'm not certain it will fit!

Thanks for any info. Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: W58 clutch on 18R-G Tue, 04 May 2004 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I suspect they also had a 225 mm pressure plate Norbie.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W58 clutch on 18R-G Tue, 04 May 2004 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn, I half suspected that might be the case. Sad Does anyone have a 21R/22R flywheel lying around they could measure for me?

Is it possible to get a flywheel redrilled to suit a larger clutch, or is this more trouble than it's worth?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: W58 clutch on 18R-G Tue, 04 May 2004 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Usually the bolt holes are very close to the edge of the flywheel, so I doubt there would be the extra room to do it safely. Besides, the raised area would be in the wrong place, anyway.

That said, I'm speculating. By all means have a look and let us know. Smile
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: W58 clutch on 18R-G Wed, 05 May 2004 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tell me if u wanna get rid of the W50
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W58 clutch on 18R-G Wed, 05 May 2004 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone have any useful info apart from GT??
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: W58 clutch on 18R-G Wed, 05 May 2004 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With the size of a flywheel you are restricted by the diameter at which the starter motor is. If you have got the 18RG flywheel out at the moment, and the flywheel face is built up larger than the ring gear its fair to say you wont get a bigger flywheel in and therefore a bigger clutch, as GT said the clutch bolt holes are usually as far out on the diameter of the flywheel as possible, the cover sits very close to the edge of the flywheel.

I don't think im telling you anything you dont know here haha Smile
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W58 clutch on 18R-G Wed, 05 May 2004 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie, I believe that there is a pressure plate that cna marry the two, I think that it is to suit the 4Y but you will need to drill the locating pins in the flywheel (different PCD as you are well aware, and the clutch will need to be stepped at new dia duh).
Correct me if I am wrong, but the disc that you are talking about (from JZ A80) is 236mm?
I will hunt through some info that I have at work and I will let you know the outcome.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: W58 clutch on 18R-G Thu, 06 May 2004 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*clicks subscribe to this topic*

Keep us posted Jason, very interested in this also.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: W58 clutch on 18R-G Thu, 06 May 2004 01:48 Go to previous message
I have a JZA80 clutch and an 18R-G clutch/flywheel sitting in the garage, so I'll do some measuring tonight.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what engine for a TA22?
Next Topic:Engine build question
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 30 19:13:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045230388641357 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.