Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Any Issues with running a little over full oil sump?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Any Issues with running a little over full oil sump? Sun, 16 May 2004 08:00 Go to next message
changed the oil today on my 4age

slowly filled it bit by bit checking the dipstick after each 500mls

got it (at warm engine temp) to read right on 'F' on the dipstick as per instructions

when i took it to the servo and checked it there (after a good 15 mins driving, engine HOT!) and the dipstick read 3 mm over 'F', even after 3 "checks"

now this is a little more oil than needed right?

any issues with running the car like this? should i infact empty about 200mls of this?
  Send a private message to this user    
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Any Issues with running a little over full oil sump? Sun, 16 May 2004 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3mm over will be fine.

10cm over is not Very Happy

dont strees, Its desiggned to allow slight overfills, but if u go crazy with filling it then your screwed Razz
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Any Issues with running a little over full oil sump? Sun, 16 May 2004 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thx

thats why i ws super anal about filling it

also

noticed its not so easy to rev now\

penrite HPR15 (15w40)

makes a lot of difference

also i only drained about 1.4 liters of oil OUT, this was after 30 mins of "drip dry"

eep, its been 7000kms since last time

thoughts?
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Any Issues with running a little over full oil sump? Sun, 16 May 2004 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's either using oil, or it wasn't filled adequately last time!
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Any Issues with running a little over full oil sump? Sun, 16 May 2004 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
after spending so much money on the car, why let it go so long without a change? if you are able to do it yourself you may as well do it every 5, oil and filter if your using after market filter cause thier only like $3each.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Any Issues with running a little over full oil sump? Sun, 16 May 2004 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i usually run this approach

every 5000 oil (i was busy.... so sue me)
every 10000 oil + filter (i use toyota genuine parts only thankyouverymuch)

this engine is going to be *out* soon, so im not ultimately fussed about it

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Any Issues with running a little over full oil sump? Sun, 16 May 2004 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats fair enough. and yeah toyota oil filters are VERY good quality, thats what i use too. make sure you use the C4 rather than the C3 that most ppl use on their GE's, GZE's etc. they hold more oil.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Any Issues with running a little over full oil sump? Sun, 16 May 2004 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got a new filter from toyota last time

a black one

c4 i tink
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Any Issues with running a little over full oil sump? Sun, 16 May 2004 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you let them get low on oil they tend to start using more oil. I think maybe due to oil getting hotter as there is less in system, hence becoming thinner and burning more. Good policy to check it every few weeks or month keeping it close to full Smile . 7000kms is a fair bit if you've been doing some hard driving but it does seem you're using more oil than you should be Confused

3mm over fill..that ain't much...you were probably 3cm under full before Shocked . But yeah, good idea not to over fill

[Updated on: Sun, 16 May 2004 11:11]

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Any Issues with running a little over full oil sump? Sun, 16 May 2004 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah

i left it a little long

should have done it sooner.. will do in the future

thanks everyone
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Any Issues with running a little over full oil sump? Sun, 16 May 2004 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My fathers Toyota van has done 290 000km on original engine and has sometimes done an oil change and only found 2 litres in there, so hopefully you haven't done any damage Smile
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Any Issues with running a little over full oil sump? Mon, 17 May 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4ages use oil....fact of life
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Any Issues with running a little over full oil sump? Mon, 17 May 2004 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didnt you previously use a 5w oil? This is pretty thin for a 4age and probably explains why you were using a fair bit, and why it doesnt feel like it rev's as freely now due to the change to a thicker oil.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 May 2004 07:06]

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Any Issues with running a little over full oil sump? Mon, 17 May 2004 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon, maybe youve just had a history of bad ge's, cause they dont all use oil. Surprised
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Any Issues with running a little over full oil sump? Mon, 17 May 2004 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the majority do use or leak oil, Itsvery common to see them leak oil in the dizzy seal, cam cover, and then comsume oil due to running a thinner oil.

i run a 25W oil, and as for filters, couldnt give a rats arse if its a ryco or similar brand, I change my oil often enough that it doesnt make much difference.

mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Any Issues with running a little over full oil sump? Mon, 17 May 2004 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Mon, 17 May 2004 16:55

4ages use oil....fact of life

Theres usally a reason for excessive oil consumption how olds your motor?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Any Issues with running a little over full oil sump? Mon, 17 May 2004 20:18 Go to previous message
my oil filter costs near on $19 retail.
but its a remote mount (same as what the 2T series of motors use)

if you're doing your oil every 5000, do your filter too, otherwise, you're just throwing good oil away really - think about it - running nice clean new oil thru a old shitty filter.

do both. my 2c
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4th Gen Wheel Guard Rubbing
Next Topic:exhaust system to use on a normal car eg. corona
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:38:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0087320804595947 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.