Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
dcleyne
Regular

November 2003
2T 2T-G 2T-GEU 3T 3T-GTEU and Hybrids Mon, 24 May 2004 10:45 Go to next message
Folks,
I wasn't sure I should post this so flame away if it's bad. I went trawling through the forums for info on the 2T-G and dragged up some very interesting stuff. So with a bit of editing I thought I'd repost it in one hit to allow the search impaired to go to a single place for reference. It would also be nice if ppl could confirm/critique the info in case it's out of date.
I'm hoping this might end up as a FAQ?

Cheers,
Dan

Quote:

2T-G head has different manifold stud pattern on inlet side. Inlet manifold is not compatible between 2T and 2T-G.
Water pump shaft on 2T-G is shorter and the pully has a different offset. Pumps, pulleys and fans are not interchangable with 2T.
2T and 2T-G both bolt up to T50 series gearbox with standard bellhousing.
2T-G twin carb manifold is standard DCOE pattern.
Later 2T-GEU has electronic distributer.
2T-G crank is forged?

2T and 2T-G mechanical fuel pumps are not the same. 2T-G pump actuator arm is longer. 2T item might be made to work on 2T-G.
2T-G requires dummy cam to drive distributer and fuel pump.
Early 2T-G uses same block as 2T. Late (2T-GEU) uses same block as the T18 13T.
The 2TG's with 1600 on the top are the very first of the Early 2TGs the cam covers varied with the later 2TGs and 2TGEUs
The First 2TG (11111-88220) Had "Toyota" and "1600" on the rocker cover.
The 11111-88222 Rocker cover did not have "1600" on it. It had its EGR valve mounted there so only had "Toyota" on the Left Hand Side.
The 88260 Head appears to have received two styles of Rocker cover. The 88222 Version and the one used for the 88261.
The 2TGEU 11111-88260 and 11111-88261 heads Had "Toyota DOHC" on them and the DOHC lettering had raised edges.
The 2TGEU 88262 Rocker Cover had "Toyota DOHC" on it and the DOHC was not with raised edges.
There are two types of 2TG head without any casting numbers. The first is the early 2TG head, The pre-production TRD race engines were not numbered.
The other type is the 11111-88262 head. It is not marked on the casting anywhere.
The number can however be found on the cam itself as the second half of the cams part number. ie xxxxx-88262
The 88220 series head had smaller valves than all of the other variants which had the same valve size.
Standard 2T-GEU injectors flow 220cc/min
Later 2T-G heads (>260) had double valve springs.

Some flow gain examples from porting and Polishing 2T-G heads
2tg 220 head on flow bench 420 thou lift 200 hp. After clean up and exhaust porting 210 hp
2tg 222 head on flow bench 420 thou lift 204 hp. After clean up and exhaust porting 214 hp
2tg 260 head on flow bench 420 thou lift 206 hp. After clean up and exhaust porting 216 hp
2T-G Cylinder Head Installation Tightening Torque 720 ~ 880 kg-cm (52.0 ~ 63.5 ft-lb)

Specs for the 88220 and 88222 Cams:
2T-G Engine modifications as per April 1973 were from Engine Number 2T-8038333
Firing Order: 1-3-4-2
Ignition Timing: 16 Degrees BTDC / 800 rpm
Compression ratio: 9.8:1
Bore and Stroke: 85.0 x 70.0
Valve Size: Intake ? 43mm (Up to April 1973)
? 44.5mm (April 1973 Onwards)
Exhaust ? 37mm (Up to April 1973)
? 38.5mm (April 1973 Onwards)
Cam Shaft: Lobe Height In 45.87 ~ 45.97 (Up to April 1973)
Lobe Height In 46.37 ~ 46.47 (April 1973 Onwards)
Lobe Height Ex 45.87 ~ 45.97 (Up to April 1973)
Lobe Height Ex 46.37 ~ 46.47 (April 1973 Onwards)
Cam Lift: In 9.82 (Up to April 1973)
In 10.27 (April 1973 Onwards)

2T-G/3T Hybrids
---------------

3T pistons must be used together with a 3T crank.
2T and 2T-G pistons must be used with a 2T crank.
3T-GT block will require modification to seal the oil return.
the 3TGTEU ECU DOES NOT control spark. It is a fuel only system, based on an early bosch design, similar to the 2TGEU EFI system. The spark is controlled only by the distributor, which has internal

weights & vacuum advance/retard, whereas an ECU controlled dizzy would have the advance mechanisms locked, like the early distributor 4AGE's. The 3TGTEU ECU doesnt know squat about

whether it has 4 or 8 spark plugs. each pair fire together anyway.

3T-GTE exhaust manifold is the same port and mounting as for 2T-G (and therefore 2T)
The 3TGTEU inlet manifold will not fit the 2TG head. the ports are completely different spacing & size.
The 3TGTEU head can be put on the 2TG block.
3T crank will not fit early 2T-G but works ok in late 2T-G (>260).
When using 3T crank in late block, the pistons will need to be fly cut to avoid valves.

I believe CA18DE 270cc injectors are bosch top feed style, and as such, will fit your 2TG manifold, dunno about the plugs though, but they can always be changed. The CA18DET injectors are

definately this design, but are closer to 400cc.
A set of 3TGTEU injectors would probably be ideal, at 295cc.

Generally, when going from standard 2TG pistons to generic 3T pistons and crank, the compression will be increased a bit, from about 8.8:1 standard, to about 10 or 10.5:1.
Using the 3T setup, the cheapest is to use regular 3T-C pistons with the exhuast relief cut a bit deeper. 86mm are available new.
2T-G pistons had different compression depending on the year and other things. Older ones were about 9.8:1, latter ones were 8.8:1, some were 8.4:1, some 8.3:1. A standard 3T will have a

compression of about 9 to one. Using this bottom end with a 2T-G head increases the compression because the 2TG head chamber is slightly smaller, 62 vs 68cc.
Wiseco sells 10.5:1 3T-C pistons off the shelf. They will clear the 2T-G valves just fine and with the 2T-G head they come out closer to 10.8:1 1941cc with 89mm bore.
18 R Pistons fit 2T Conrods and they take your bore out to 88.5mm However depending on type Compression may be awkward to calculate.
If you're using 2T-G head on your hybrid you should use a 2T-G block as supplimentary drive cam will suit your application. With creative fitment of cam bearings 3T-G block can be used.
The oil pumps interchange between 2T and 3T(GTEU). The 3TGTEU pump is a Higher volume unit!

All the T series engine use the same size Rods. They vary in strength but are all the same length (Excluding the 1400cc T engine)
The 3TGTEU and 2T, 2TGEU etc also all use the same basic block design. there are some minor differences but the deck height is the same on all of them. It is the Pin height in the piston itself that

counters the increased stroke of the 3T crank, Hence the need for 3T style pistons and the inability to use 2TGEU pistons with a 3T crank.

CAMS.

Firstly 2TG and 3TG cams will interchange ! So any cam grind you can get for a 2TG will fit in a 3T-GTE.

The reason there are more grinds for the 2TG is that not many people play with the cams in the 3T-GTE, Turbo performance is relativly new when compared to N/A performance !

Then you have to consider that in a N/A engine the cam does all the work as far as dictating how much air gets into the head. (Valve size and ports aside) With a Forced induction engine the Turbo

jams it in there so the cams are generally paid alot less attention.

A Turbo's cams also use a whole different set of rule as depending on your desired result Overlap is not such a good thing !

VALVES

Ok excluding the 11111-88220 head the 2TG's and 3T-GTE's have the same size valves ! The first version of 2TG head (88220) has smaller valves on both the inlet and exhaust.

2TG Valve Size: Intake - 43mm (Up to April 1973) (88220 Head)
- 44.5mm (April 1973 Onwards)
Exhaust - 37mm (Up to April 1973) (88220 Head)
- 38.5mm (April 1973 Onwards)

HEAD FLOWS

Ok Head flow is ONE of the more important characteristics of a head. But it isn't everything. You also need to consider the chamber design, Sqish area's, the actual flow direction and turbulence, the

placement of the spark plug or plugs, Airspeed and probably a dozen other things I have no idea about.

The second thing to remember is the cams will dictate just how much air gets in. Headflow figures are measured at certain lift points of the valve. If your cams only give you 300 tho lift then there is no

point worrying about what happens inside the head when you have 400 tho Lift as the cams don't get there !

I for example had my head rebuilt to suit the engine I am building. It was flowed and the cams were made to accomadate the figures we acheived. In turn the intake manifold and Throttlebody needs to

meet the same flow requirements or its all a waste of time.

2TG v's 3TGTE

To be honest I can't answer which one is best ! There is still so much I haven't had the time or money to test! The heads use a different port design and both work very well in their designed

applications. In stock form the cams and intake manifolds limit the engine operation long before the heads do.

If you take the cams and manifold out of the equation then in stock form you can make a base line comparison. I used a 88261 EFI 2TG head (As per my engine build) And yes it does perform better than

a 3T-GTE Head flow wise how much better varies at each lift point.

As for chamber design and squish areas etc. The 3T-GTE head is apparently a better design. I am not really able to offer an opinion on that as it is too far out of my ability and learning.

BUT

Before you all go ditching your 3T-GTE heads bring it all back into context ! You only need the head to flow as well as your cams and intake manifold can support! You also need to remember that an

intake manifold can not only restict but increase the airflow thru a bare head. A well designed intake manifold will channel in more air than a bare head will flow alone (Even on a flow bench when the

air is being channeled)

Then there is the ancient mystical voodoo art of head porting! I can only evaluate the performance of my Personal 2TG head. I am still trying to obtain a well ported 3T-GTE head for comparison. Given

the 3T-GTE's better chamber design then it would be desireable for a ported 3T-GTE head to outflow a Ported 2TG head. I honestly have no idea if it will but I have never seen Toyota, TRD or TTE use a

Turbo 2TG head !

Also a mild port job on a 3T-GTE will generally cost less than fitting a 2TG head.

More resources
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stepho/en g2t.htm

..and while we're at it
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stepho/ce lfaq.txt

[Updated on: Mon, 24 May 2004 10:47]

Send a private message to this user    
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 2T 2T-G 2T-GEU 3T 3T-GTEU and Hybrids Mon, 24 May 2004 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good work mate, very good, should be stickied or something so the questions don't still get asked every week.........
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2T 2T-G 2T-GEU 3T 3T-GTEU and Hybrids Mon, 24 May 2004 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Submit it as a tech article. If you post it here the search-impaired will still never find it!
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: 2T 2T-G 2T-GEU 3T 3T-GTEU and Hybrids Wed, 26 May 2004 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

The 11111-88222 Rocker cover did not have "1600" on it. It had its EGR valve mounted there so only had "Toyota" on the Left Hand Side.

It's not an EGR valve, it is an idle-on control valve.
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

T series Engines info Inc 2-TG Hybrids Tue, 14 December 2004 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, Since I wrote allot of what has been quoted anyway and people are using this as a reference I'll make a couple of corrections and edits.

dcleyne wrote on Mon, 24 May 2004 20:45

The 2T and 2T-G inlet manifolds have a different stud and are not interchangeable.

The Water pump shaft on 2T-G is shorter and the pully has a different offset. Pumps, pulleys and fans are not interchangable with 2T. (A modified 2T pump and pulley CAN be fitted to a 2-TG)

All T series blocks have the same Gearbox bolt pattern

The 2T-G twin carb manifold is standard DCOE pattern.

Later 2T-GEU has electronic distributer.

2T and 2T-G mechanical fuel pumps are not the same. 2T-G pump actuator arm is longer. 2T item might be made to work on 2T-G.

2T-G requires dummy cam to drive distributer and fuel pump. Ensure unused cam bearings are fitted so as to block oil journals and maintain oil pressure.

Early 2T-G uses same block as 2T. Late (2T-GEU) uses same block as the T18 13T. (Kinda true)

The 2TG's with 1600 on the top are the very first of the Early 2TGs the cam covers varied with the later 2TGs and 2TGEUs
The First 2TG (11111-88220) Had "Toyota" and "1600" on the rocker cover.

The 88260 Head appears to have received two styles of Rocker cover. The 88222 Version and the one used for the 88261.
The 2TGEU 11111-88260 and 11111-88261 heads Had "Toyota DOHC" on them and the DOHC lettering had raised edges.

The 2TGEU 88262 Rocker Cover had "Toyota DOHC" on it and the DOHC was not with raised edges.

The other type is the 11111-88262 head. It is not marked on the casting anywhere. The number can however be found on the cam itself as the second half of the cams part number. ie xxxxx-88262

There only variant to the above numbering code is the Early TRD race heads. These were only cast as 11111 - "blank"

Standard 2T-GEU injectors flow 220cc/min
Later 2T-G heads (>260) had double valve springs.

I have removed the flopw figures from this post, figures like that have no factual basis and are misleading heresay. To be of any merit head flow figures need to indicate the cfm @ specified valve lift and size plus the unit/method of measurement. Ie @ 28 inches.

Specs for the 88220 and 88222 Cams:
2T-G Engine modifications as per April 1973 were from Engine Number 2T-8038333
Firing Order: 1-3-4-2
Ignition Timing: 16 Degrees BTDC / 800 rpm
Compression ratio: 9.8:1
Bore and Stroke: 85.0 x 70.0
Valve Size: Intake ? 43mm (Up to April 1973)
? 44.5mm (April 1973 Onwards)
Exhaust ? 37mm (Up to April 1973)
? 38.5mm (April 1973 Onwards)
Cam Shaft: Lobe Height In 45.87 ~ 45.97 (Up to April 1973)
Lobe Height In 46.37 ~ 46.47 (April 1973 Onwards)
Lobe Height Ex 45.87 ~ 45.97 (Up to April 1973)
Lobe Height Ex 46.37 ~ 46.47 (April 1973 Onwards)
Cam Lift: In 9.82 (Up to April 1973)
In 10.27 (April 1973 Onwards)

2T-G/3T Hybrids
---------------

3T pistons must be used together with a 3T crank.
2T and 2T-G pistons must be used with a 2T crank.
3T-GT block will require modification to seal the oil return.
the 3TGTEU ECU DOES NOT control spark. It is a fuel only system, based on an early bosch design, similar to the 2TGEU EFI system. The spark is controlled only by the distributor, which has internal weights & vacuum advance/retard, whereas an ECU controlled dizzy would have the advance mechanisms locked, like the early distributor 4AGE's. The 3TGTEU ECU doesnt know squat about whether it has 4 or 8 spark plugs. each pair fire together anyway.

3T-GTE exhaust manifold is the same port and mounting as for 2T-G (and therefore 2T)
The 3TGTEU inlet manifold will not fit the 2TG head. the ports are completely different spacing & size.
The 3TGTEU head can be put on the 2TG block.

3T crank WILL fit early 2T-G/2T block BUT the Block requires clearnacing internally. Late 2-TGEU blocks should not require clearancing

When using 3T crank in late block, the 3T pistons will need to be fly cut to avoid valves.

Any Bosch wide body top feed injector should fit the fuel rail and manifold !

A set of 3TGTEU injectors would probably are 295cc.

Generally, when going from standard 2TG pistons to generic 3T pistons and crank, the compression will be increased a bit, from about 8.8:1 standard, to about 9.8:1 or thereabout depending on oversize.

Using the 3T setup, the cheapest is to use regular 3T-C pistons with the exhuast relief cut a bit deeper. 86mm are available new.

2T-G pistons had different compression depending on the year and other things. Older ones were about 9.8:1, latter ones were 8.8:1, some were 8.4:1, some 8.3:1.

A standard 3T will have a compression of about 9 to one. Using this bottom end with a 2T-G head increases the compression because the 2TG head chamber is slightly smaller, 62 vs 68cc.

Wiseco sells 10.5:1 3T-C pistons off the shelf. They will clear the 2T-G valves just fine and with the 2T-G head they come out closer to 10.8:1 1941cc with 89mm bore.

18 R Pistons fit 2T Conrods and they take your bore out to 88.5mm However depending on type Compression may be awkward to calculate.

If you're using 2T-G head on your hybrid you should use a 2T-G block as supplimentary drive cam will suit your application. With creative fitment of cam bearings 3T-G block can be used.
The oil pumps interchange between 2T and 3T(GTEU). The 3TGTEU pump is a Higher volume unit!

All the T series engine use the same size Rods. They vary in strength but are all the same length (Excluding the 1400cc T engine)
The 3TGTEU and 2T, 2TGEU etc also all use the same basic block design. there are some minor differences but the deck height is the same on all of them. It is the Pin height in the piston itself that counters the increased stroke of the 3T crank, Hence the need for 3T style pistons and the inability to use 2TGEU pistons with a 3T crank.

CAMS.

Firstly 2TG and 3TG cams will interchange ! So any cam grind you can get for a 2TG will fit in a 3T-GTE. (Distributor drive gear is NOT on 2TG or 2-TGEU cams)

The reason there are more grinds for the 2TG is that not many people play with the cams in the 3T-GTE, Turbo performance is relativly new when compared to N/A performance !

Then you have to consider that in a N/A engine the cam does all the work as far as dictating how much air gets into the head. (Valve size and ports aside) With a Forced induction engine the Turbo jams it in there so the cams are generally paid alot less attention.

A Turbo's cams also use a whole different set of rule as depending on your desired result Overlap is a debatable thing !

VALVES

Ok excluding the 11111-88220 head the 2TG's and 3T-GTE's have the same size valves ! The first version of 2TG head (88220) has smaller valves on both the inlet and exhaust.

2TG Valve Size: Intake - 43mm (Up to April 1973) (88220 Head)
- 44.5mm (April 1973 Onwards)
Exhaust - 37mm (Up to April 1973) (88220 Head)
- 38.5mm (April 1973 Onwards)

HEAD FLOWS

Ok Head flow is ONE of the more important characteristics of a head. But it isn't everything. You also need to consider the chamber design, Sqish area's, the actual flow direction and turbulence, the

placement of the spark plug or plugs, Airspeed and probably a dozen other things I have no idea about.

The second thing to remember is the cams will dictate just how much air gets in. Headflow figures are measured at certain lift points of the valve. If your cams only give you 300 tho lift then there is no point worrying about what happens inside the head when you have 400 tho Lift as the cams don't get there !

In turn the intake manifold and Throttlebody needs to meet the same flow requirements or its all a waste of time.

2TG v's 3TGTE

To be honest I can't answer which one is best ! There is still so much I haven't had the time or money to test! The heads use a different port design and both work very well in their designed
applications. In stock form the cams and intake manifolds limit the engine operation long before the heads do.

If you take the cams and manifold out of the equation then in stock form you can make a base line comparison. I used a 88261 EFI 2TG head (As per my engine build) And yes it does perform better than a 3T-GTE Head flow wise how much better varies at each lift point.

As for chamber design and squish areas etc. The 3T-GTE head is apparently a better design. I am not really able to offer an opinion on that as it is too far out of my ability and learning.

BUT

Before you all go ditching your 3T-GTE heads bring it all back into context ! You only need the head to flow as well as your cams and intake manifold can support! You also need to remember that an intake manifold can not only restict but increase the airflow thru a bare head. A well designed intake manifold will channel in more air than a bare head will flow alone (Even on a flow bench when the air is being channeled)

Then there is the ancient mystical voodoo art of head porting! I can only evaluate the performance of my Personal 2TG head. I am still trying to obtain a well ported 3T-GTE head for comparison. Given the 3T-GTE's better chamber design then it would be desireable for a ported 3T-GTE head to outflow a Ported 2TG head. I honestly have no idea if it will but I have never seen Toyota, TRD or TTE use a Turbo 2TG head !

Also a mild port job on a 3T-GTE will generally cost less than fitting a 2TG head.

More resources
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stepho/en g2t.htm

..and while we're at it
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stepho/ce lfaq.txt

I will also add, The T series twin cam engine are NOT forgiving. If you don't know what your doing be prepared to brake them or seak professional help.
dcleyne
Regular

November 2003
Re: T series Engines info Inc 2-TG Hybrids Wed, 15 December 2004 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Rod!

I've been waiting ages for someone to have a real go through that post and sort it out. Seeing as I know absolutely nothing about enguine building, I was blindly relying on what was written. Toymods is a fantastic resource but the search function can be a complete pain in the ass (especially searching for 2T). Having much discussed information like this condensed cuts out the 'noise' that the forum conversations tend to generate.
From my perspective I would love to see information like this condensed on the A series as well as the JZ series motors. Perhaps if I'm bored at work again one day then I'll start the mega-search to find all the 4A stuff. I'm imagining it will take decades to wade through the crap though.

Thanks again,
Dan

[Updated on: Wed, 15 December 2004 09:51]

fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 2T 2T-G 2T-GEU 3T 3T-GTEU and Hybrids Wed, 15 December 2004 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey Rod maybe this should go in the tech docs section along with all the other docs?

if people only took the few seconds required to go to the Articles and Tech Docs section to find things then repeat questions wouldnt be asked!

iv seen a thousand posts the last few weeks about wiring diagrams and manuals and no one seems to look in the right place for them!

also guys if you want to ask someone something PLEASE just PM them, the whole world doesnt have to know your after them for info, if you dont know his handle then by all means ask people for it but cut it there...

anyway thats my whinge for the night Very Happy
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 2T 2T-G 2T-GEU 3T 3T-GTEU and Hybrids Thu, 16 December 2004 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Tue, 25 May 2004 09:44

Submit it as a tech article. If you post it here the search-impaired will still never find it!

Barh they still wont know how to look for it Rolling Eyes
towe_001
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 2T 2T-G 2T-GEU 3T 3T-GTEU and Hybrids Thu, 16 December 2004 23:42 Go to previous message
Norbie wrote on Tue, 25 May 2004 09:44

Barh they still wont know how to look for it Rolling Eyes

But ya good work dude, good work

Edit: double post. But spot the difference Laughing

[Updated on: Thu, 16 December 2004 23:43]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:dead 4ac omg no!
Next Topic:2j ct12b's onto ct12a set up? edit not practical-thanks.....
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 11:31:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0042068958282471 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.