Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
xl912
Occasional Poster

May 2004
MA61 Gear Ratios Wed, 02 June 2004 13:17 Go to next message
Hi all,
Does anyone have a list of the ratios used in the Australian Market manual MA61 ('82-85) Supra?
Did we get the close ratio W58 gear box here, or was that just for the North American market?

Thanks in advance.
Robert
  Send a private message to this user    
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Gear Ratios Wed, 02 June 2004 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ooohhhh... you were so nice in your last posts i want yell 'serach' at you (just yet!) Laughing

see the top of the page, see the FAQ post?

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=28667&start=0&rid=92&S=a6ede4e494b62 7b268fba5e92d060950

but moving specifically to the 'close ratio' w58 box - i have no idea - i didnt now one existed Confused

cheers
ed

xl912
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: MA61 Gear Ratios Wed, 02 June 2004 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi ed,
It seems that some MA61's had a close ratio W58 box, also fitted to my car:

3.285, 1.894, 1.275, 1.000, 0.783

As far as I understand (which is always limited), it was from a North American spec. model.
The box is getting tired now; it needs ATM to keep second syncro working cleanly. However, don't want to pull it to pieces and find that parts are hard to get here.

Searching is such a slow and unfulfilling business.
Polite? Perhaps. Patient? Sorry no.

Robert

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Gear Ratios Wed, 02 June 2004 23:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All manual MA61's have a W58. I've never seen it referred to as a "close ratio" box though!
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA61 Gear Ratios Wed, 02 June 2004 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OT - is it meant to be a lotus or a ferrari supra?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Gear Ratios Wed, 02 June 2004 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm guessing it's the early 80's Lotus that shares heaps of parts with the MA61 Supra, including the door handles, tail lights, rims, some suspension components, and by the sounds of it, the diff and transmission as well! I can't remember which model Lotus this is, but I'm sure Robert will fill us in.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA61 Gear Ratios Wed, 02 June 2004 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lotus Excel if im guessing right

Still 10x more than an MA61!
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: MA61 Gear Ratios Thu, 03 June 2004 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't forget MA61 brakes etc. Lotus tuned the MA61 suspension for Toyota.

Excel it is. Toyota owned 10% of Lotus at one time. Since then it has gone through many hands including GM. What a shame Toyota didn't purchase it whole. Fragile, but awesome performance cars.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: MA61 Gear Ratios Thu, 03 June 2004 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think Lotus is owned by Proton now... or has it changed hands again?
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: MA61 Gear Ratios Thu, 03 June 2004 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep.. Lotus is owned by Proton which is owned partly by the Malaysian Government Surprised

Whilst in Malaysia last year I was looking for the "Tuned by Lotus" sticker which is fitted to the Aust. Spec Satria GTi so I could put it on the MA61, but nope, not avaliable for the domestic market Sad

Cheers.
xl912
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: MA61 Gear Ratios Thu, 03 June 2004 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Firstly, if all ma61's have the W58 gearbox does anyone know the ratios? If so, then they can be compared to the list previously posted. It might well be that the ratios are all the same.

Thanks to Ed MA61. I've started looking through the links you provided. Much appreciated.

Congratulations to BlackSupra and Rsdeo.
It's an Lotus Excel. Most of the drive train was sourced from the MA61 Supra, thus questions on diff and gearbox.
Door handles, brakes, and a variety of smaller odds and ends. Other than the front suspension uprights, there are no Toyota suspension parts. Incidental, the tails lights are also non-Toyota. But good guesses for a non-model expert Smile
Later models used the Supra steering column, heater and electrics to replace the wayward Lucas (Prince of Darkness) parts in the earlier cars. This made a significant difference to their electrical reliability, which is a problem with early cars.

At the time Toyota had a large stake in Lotus, which they subsequently sold to GM, who then sold it to what is now Proton.

In the early '80, Lotus engineers were so impressed with the then new front drive Corolla, that the begun development of there own front drive Lotus based on the Corolla powertrain. Known as the M100 - the new Elan, it's the pick of the Lotus models.
When Toyota sold to GM, Lotus switched the M100 to an Isuzu powertrain. AC-Delco did the electrics, Lotus just did the body and chassis, and what a lovely job they did. It's the most well developed Lotus to this day. All the result of Toyota and GM parts bins and engineering expertise. A delightful and most desirable machine.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: MA61 Gear Ratios Thu, 03 June 2004 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All manual MA61's got the W58 gearbox and yes, those are the correct ratios.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 June 2004 08:15]

xl912
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: MA61 Gear Ratios Thu, 03 June 2004 08:29 Go to previous message
Thanks very much for that.
Now it can be rebuilt with confidence, and better still using locally available parts.
Much appreciated.
Robert
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Wheel stud pattern amoungst soarers/supras?
Next Topic:3sgte turbo manifold
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:51:03 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052390098571777 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.