Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 3s-gte rebuild info please...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
madman
Regular

December 2003
3s-gte rebuild info please... Mon, 14 June 2004 08:12 Go to next message
hi guys i have a '90 gtfour,
the engine has done about 250,000 kms.
while it is still running very smooth, i am noticing oil around the turbo. possibly a new gasket or reconditioned turbo may fix this but what i want to do is start preparing for a complete rebuild.
what i need though is a list of parts required for a rebuild of a 3s-gte. this way i will be able to shop around for the parts and so on..
can someone please help me make this list.
thanks very much.

[Updated on: Mon, 14 June 2004 08:12]

Send a private message to this user    
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3s-gte rebuild info please... Mon, 14 June 2004 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do you want to do a stock rebuild or a rebuild for performance ?

definate inclusions if you intend to rebuild ..

Metal head gasket ( trd or HKS )

Arp head studs ..

that will cure most of the inherit stock problems with the 3sgte

outside of that - open your wallet and let the fun begin
madman
Regular

December 2003
Re: 3s-gte rebuild info please... Mon, 14 June 2004 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just need to know the parts i need,
then i can decide whether to go for stock parts or performance parts.
thanks.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3s-gte rebuild info please... Mon, 14 June 2004 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
basic rebuild would be piston rings , bearings , seals + gaskets , a new cambelt and other consumables ..

are you looking for particular part numbers ?

If you shop around , most of the good performance parts are not that much more expensive than stock ..

a head gasket for example - between stock and TRD , was about 40 dollars
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: 3s-gte rebuild info please... Mon, 14 June 2004 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(hijack)
Where do you guys get all your TRD parts from?
(/hijack)
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3s-gte rebuild info please... Mon, 14 June 2004 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i get mine thru penrith toyota if i need to get stuff for myself.

madman
Regular

December 2003
Re: 3s-gte rebuild info please... Mon, 14 June 2004 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nup not after particular part numbers..
is it worth getting hks camshaft and cam gears?
also which injectors can i get for this engine?

thanks.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3s-gte rebuild info please... Tue, 15 June 2004 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
injectors - well supra 2jzgte ones ( 550 odd cc ) or st205 ones plug directly in , but its not worth getting these unless you start to go silly with Hp

Same applies for the camshafts - they are good - but unless your chasing over 200KW at the wheels in a gt4 - its not really worth it ..

Put your money into rebuilding the motor with forgies , a good head gasket , arp head studs ( A MUST ) and get the head cleaned up a bit and youll find the resposniveness + stewenth of the motor will increase quite a bit ..

if you have any spare - maybe get your turbo highflowed , or install a more efficient intercooler .

with bolt ons - on a Gt4 - the stock bottom end is pretty tough and should handle upwards to 150 KW at the wheels without much problem if the headgasket + studs are seen to ..

Once again you need to outlay what your goals are ..

for example im chasing 200 + kilowatts at the wheels so ive had my 3sgte built as tough as i possibly can ..

ive also invested in an upgraded ecu + injectors, forged pistons, a group a Intercooler ( water to air ), st205 cams , shim under buckets ( this is a custom modification ), st205 rods + arp rod bolts, TRD heavy duty bearings, a TRD metal headgasket and arp headstuds and plan on either replacing the turbo or highflowing it in the near future .

with the stuff i have - the motor should be overill for the horsepoer im chasing but at least i know it can handle the power increases if needed .

it also hasnt been cheap ( more than 3 grand so far )!
madman
Regular

December 2003
Re: 3s-gte rebuild info please... Tue, 15 June 2004 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the good advice classique..
do you mean get forged pistons and rods?
i've looked around the net and i've found that Blitz and Jun make forged pistons for the 3s-gte and are quite pricey.
which forged pistons did you use?

also i want to do one major rebuild. so i want to get all the parts i can, take the engine out, rebuild it, put the engine back in, and not have to take it out again.
is this a good plan?

because the car is running ok, i should have enough time to save up and buy the parts i need. (although the oil coming from the turbo is worrying me abit)

thanks.
madman
Regular

December 2003
Re: 3s-gte rebuild info please... Tue, 15 June 2004 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71 wrote on Mon, 14 June 2004 20:36

basic rebuild would be piston rings , bearings , seals + gaskets , a new cambelt and other consumables ..

are you looking for particular part numbers ?

are you able to get me these part numbers?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3s-gte rebuild info please... Tue, 15 June 2004 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try and stay away from the " namebrands " , as ive found most buts can be supplied locally for alot less

Im using st205 rods from toyota , topped with JE forged pistons .. these are held together with arp rod bolts
(eagle make forged pistons to suit as well , JE are more locally available ) Rings are chromoly items ..

in parts alone the setup for pistons + rods etc is worth close to 2 grand , not cheap but about as strong as you can possibly get

My theeory is suffer the pain once for a proper full on rebuild , instead of putting piece by piece together

if you get the block + head right the first time - the rest of the gear ( exhausts cams etc ) are bolt on - you dont need to pull the block out again in theory..

re parts numbers - visit your local toyota dealer , or hassle Autopro , i dont have the part numbers for my buts as yet

( engine builder dude has all the peperwork )

spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 3s-gte rebuild info please... Tue, 15 June 2004 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Parts and prices for the block bits and pieces needed for a total rebuild.

All part numbers are the Toyota codes, in the aftermarket section, the geniune Toyota codes are still quoted, but I bought at a performance wholesaler.

Toyota:
Small "O" Ring Oil Cooler Bracket nose 9030152006 $4.66
Large "O" Ring Oil cooler bracket base 9673219019 $4.77
O Ring Oil cooler 1551788380 $3.64
Gasket Oil relief valve 1578535010 $1.71
Gasket water bypass pipe 2329388360 $3.55
Hose from Oil cooler. Heat shielded with foil
Gasket rear Oil seal retainer 1138388381 $3.88
Seal crankshaft front Oil seal 9031142026 $13.03
Gasket Oil pump 1519774030 $10.81
Gasket Thermostat 1632562010 $7.94
O Ring water by-pass pipe 9030137005 $2.37
Hose Oil cooler bypass water pump side
Oil Pump 1510088382 $203.23
Thermostat 9091603075 $20.5
Waterpump 1610079126 $142.58
Pistons .5mm oversize (I will get number tonight) $528.00
Rear oil seal (I will get number tonight) $89.00

Aftermarket :
Welsh plug kit 9641143500 $20
Piston Ring set .5mm over 1301388380 $76
Main bearing set (19.2mm x 8, 23.0mm x 2) 1170188342 $58
Thrust Washer kit 4 washers 1101125010 $10
Rod bearings x 8 1304188360 $48

I think thats about it... If I think of any more I'll add them in.

[Updated on: Tue, 15 June 2004 22:41]

madman
Regular

December 2003
Re: 3s-gte rebuild info please... Tue, 15 June 2004 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks spectral, if it is not too much trouble please do add the toyota part numbers.

also classique..
who is building your engine..? where are you getting it done?
what are some places with good experience with these engines?

thanks a heap guys this thread will be of great help to me.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3s-gte rebuild info please... Tue, 15 June 2004 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
um - the guy building mine is a bit of a funny one .. Embarassed

he only does motors for " projects of interest , or friends "

hes an ex toyota/Ford cosworth rally team engineer. Its being built in ballarat

Its very unlikely he'll take on another after the dramas so far with mine !outside of that - i dunno who else would take one on ..

might be time to let the fingers do the walking thru the yellow pages - or post a " engine rebuilders in melb " thread
spectral
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 3s-gte rebuild info please... Tue, 15 June 2004 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stuart, why don't you build it yourself? Its fun, educational and most of all, doesn't cost you a mint in labour?

madman : I've added most the part numbers above.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3s-gte rebuild info please... Wed, 16 June 2004 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
main reason i didnt build it is i dont have anywhere to do it ..

I have stuff all garage and shed space free and i know the labors a killer .. ( with the folks atm )

Plus if it was a stansdard rebuild it might be a little easier but ive had a few things swapped and changed about internally.

if i get another daily ill start off small with engne rebuild funness - id like to piece together something akin to a 2tg for fun , as i know a fair bit more about them than i do 3sgte .

When i have the thing actually running - ill be asking the person whos building it to show me the ropes when it comes to the gearbox swap and other bits later on .

[Updated on: Wed, 16 June 2004 02:32]

madman
Regular

December 2003
Re: 3s-gte rebuild info please... Fri, 13 August 2004 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys.. sorry to bring this thread back up from the dead but i have few more questions regarding my rebuild.
do i need new pistons?
my engine bay gets very hot after a hard drive. so hot that i can feel the heat being pushed out if i stand outside next to it when it is idling. is this normal?
i plan on getting the CS front bar perhaps this will help.

these are the things i have decided to with the engine..
keep it rather stock.
trd head gasket..
rebuild block with those parts spectral posted
rebuild turbo (hi flow ?? i dunno yet)
arp head studs and rod bolts..
replace injectors with stock new ones.
is there anything else i should do ?
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 3s-gte rebuild info please... Fri, 13 August 2004 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you should get a larger turbo, forged pistons, Stroked crank with con rods to match. and of course the titanium value springs are a must.

bugger that off, get 2 3S heads make a custom block and attach the heads to the block for a wildly insane 3S V8.
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 3s-gte rebuild info please... Fri, 13 August 2004 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madman, if you don't mind me saying, a complete rebuild from a problem that started as oil around the turbo, are you MAD?!?

If it still runs smooth, why do you need new injectors?

I dunno, i've rebuilt my engine before, but that was for a rod bearing that turned into powder. Be prepared to spend plenty of money.

Cheers,
James
madman
Regular

December 2003
Re: 3s-gte rebuild info please... Fri, 13 August 2004 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i want to get this done get all the big expenses out of the way, then i have to start investing in a property.
i've saved up most of the money for the rebuild just want to get it out of the way now. i'm only 21 but the sooner i start investing the better.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3s-gte rebuild info please... Fri, 13 August 2004 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depending on how word your bore is - will decide if you need new pistons or not ..

if you do - yo have a good choice - stock st205 ones are relatively cheap and plenty good enough for minor power increases , though if you plan to up boost and go your highflow - id really suggest saving up for a decent set of forgies ..

your stock injectors can be cleaned if nees - be or just run thru a few tanks of optimax - this will usually de gum them anyway

Your heat problem is a Gt4 problem - the car has inadequite cooling stock - from front AND from getting heat out from under the bonnet ..

get the CS bar IF you can afford it - its not cheap - or start cutting speed holes ..

Oh and the rebuld - have about 4 to 5 K if you dont plan to do the work yourself ..

Youll easily burn thru this

madman
Regular

December 2003
Re: 3s-gte rebuild info please... Tue, 17 August 2004 09:45 Go to previous message
yeh i'm getting the clutch done too...
is it worth getting a lightened flywheel? would there be any noticable power increase?
once the rebuild is done i am going to get the exhaust, wheels and suspension done and that would be it for this car
i already love driving it as it is.. cant wait to see how it would run with a rebuilt motor.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:major oil leaks
Next Topic:97 camry stud pattern
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 20:42:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0081369876861572 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.