Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Members Rides » RA25 GT2000 (1973 model)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Tue, 22 June 2004 00:43 Go to next message
Hi,

Went to my first Toymods meeting last night and there was a bit of interest in regards to the old girl, which is an RA25 GT2000.

I've sent the pics to Rod who will put them on the site for me.

However, if you have access to classic-celica.com, there are pics on that site in the JDM gallery, in the "Australian RA25 GT2000" folder.

Here's a bit of history if you're interested....

The car is a late 1973 build and was imported into Australia by AMI (Australian Motor Industries) for GT Celica evaluation (also they brought in a 2TG Corolla Levine and a GT1600 TA22). The eval stated the performance of the car with no side intrusion bars and no inertia seatbelts it would be wiser to not import such cars. Such a shame, 'cos if there were a few more around then I'd be able to get parts more easily - especially body panels, bonnet and rear-light assembly. The interior is TA22, except for the overheaed warning lights for fuel, brakes and washer fluid.

Modern Motor (I think) did an article on it in the Jan or Feb 1974 magazine. I got a reprint of it somewhere, but can't find it, so I'm going to have to chase up the mag to get another one. The car manual, which unfortunately is a photocopy, is all in Japanese.

The car was then put onto a few road shows, which AMI used to do. I'm not sure why they do that, except to say and show people "see this car - weren't not importing it!".

Anyway, the car (along with the TA22 GT and the Levine) were put into storage for a few years and in 1982 were released for sale - along with papers for compliance (the car has no Aussie comp plate).

I traded in my LT TA22 for it in July 1982. It had 15,000k on the dial and, except for the wheels, was fully original specs. For interest, the Levine (deep green) was on sale for over $10,000, the TA22 (bright red) was $7,500 and the RA25 was $9,000. All three cars were in mint and original form with low kays. I got $4,500 for my LT, so the RA25 (rusty-burgundy-red)wasn't too expensive.

I thought it was a 1977 liftback - 'cos I didn't know much about Celicas then and I liked the Mustang shape. It was a few years later when I found out that it was a 1973 and something different - so I decided to keep it. Glad I did.

It's now got 130,000k on the dial, and got a full respray (original colour) and engine rebuild (18RG - solex carbies) in 1989 when it had 100,000k on the clock. So, she's only done 30,000 in the last 15 years. I shod some 14inch wheels on it 'cos the non-standard 13inchers that came with the car were pretty crappy. Other than that, she's still the same car.

She's got a P51 5-speed gearbox, split tail shaft, air conditioning, power windows and the F-series LSD - all standard with the GT model.

I'm hoping my calender is clear so I can take it to the Dynoday in July. She won't be dyno'd 'cos she's too old for that thing now and she just likes to cruise and look cool - which suits an old fart like me. I'll bring her to the next monthly meeting - so I better get to polishing and making her look sweet.

seeyuzz
river
  Send a private message to this user    
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Tue, 22 June 2004 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gday river, welcome to the club.

Very fine piece of machinery you have indeed and i am still eyeing off those badges Very Happy
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Tue, 22 June 2004 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
once again i have to say your car is brilliant. Cool

I will be able to look for those pics of the green RA25 that was entered into targa tas 2000 (maybe 2001), on wednesday arvo which will be the next time im on my home PC.

ill email the pics.

have a good one...
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Tue, 22 June 2004 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.classic-celica.com/albums/ra25aus/RA25_Shiny.sized.jpg

http://www.classic-celica.com/albums/ra25aus/outside_passenger_full_view_A.sized.jpg

http://www.classic-celica.com/albums/ra25aus/engine_carbie_side.sized.jpg

this woulndnt happen to be it would it

looks great!
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Tue, 22 June 2004 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Yep. That's her!

The first pic was from Mike, the kiwi who has the TA27. He was on a Celica photographic expedition a few months ago and called in to check it out. The other pics I did about a year ago.

EvilJack - If my badges go missing, I'm coming after you Smile And, did you get your engine going last night? As you work local, if you bring it to work lemme know and I might mosey on over and have a look. Also, I've never had it parked next to an RA28 - it'll be interesting to see the differences between the models.

Rob - yes please, love to see the green RA25 from Targa.

seeyuzz
river

thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon7.gif  Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Tue, 22 June 2004 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
River,

Was really great to see you at the meeting last night mate. I'm just glad I didn't know you were there till after the meeting started..... Otherwise we may have never got it under way. Rolling Eyes

I have put a folder up online of the pics of your car. You can find the ones you sent me here:

http://www.toymods.org.au/~rod/Celicas/River's%20R A25/

I see Graig has a couple of them up already Wink

Did I mention to call me if you ever decide to sell it ? Just give me time to sell my mum to pay for it Laughing

Heres thepic of the Build plate anyway, just so people know what all the fuss was about Smile

http://www.toymods.org.au/~rod/Celicas/River's%20RA25/build%20plate.jpg

munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Tue, 22 June 2004 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nick at the celica shop in Queensland has one of these. It seems to be a ta22 front half (shorter engine bay ta22 instruments etc) with 23 style panels and bumper and 28 rear end. I want one. May i have yours river? Wink

Daniel
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Tue, 22 June 2004 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

munki wrote on Tue, 22 June 2004 20:04

May i have yours river? Wink

Daniel

Hehehe, you'll probably be fighting Rod and a few others for it Smile

I can't wait for Nick to get his going. Hey, I'll even drive the old girl to Brissy just so we can get a rare photoshhot of the two old girls.

seeyuzz
river
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 23 June 2004 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river, yes i got it going it will be at next meeting for sure.

If you want to have a look i have my lunch around 12-12:30

contact me on 0421 328 785
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 23 June 2004 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats dead sexy Crying or Very Sad Very Happy Very Happy
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 23 June 2004 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That is a very nice example of one of those , very nice indeed Smile
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 23 June 2004 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check your email River.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 23 June 2004 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
River,
For crying out loud if you do decide to sell post it on here.
Rod,
You'll be fighting me to get it. I'd swap the Ute in a Heartbeat for it.

Oh and Drooooooollllll......
dimmy77_03
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Tue, 29 June 2004 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very nice car man Shocked
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Thu, 26 August 2004 13:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey, Nice little collectable that one.

I picked up one of those front grills in a wrecker the other day (minus badge) for $30, I don't think they knew what it was Wink

I found a copy of that Modern Motor magazine if you're interested I may be able to run off a copy.

It was January 1974, pages 16-17, 18, 115.

In the same magazine there was a nice shot of a TA22 racer in a Japan CAR show.

Anyway, great catch man.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Thu, 26 August 2004 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Steve M wrote on Thu, 26 August 2004 23:53

Hey, Nice little collectable that one.

I picked up one of those front grills in a wrecker the other day (minus badge) for $30, I don't think they knew what it was Wink

I found a copy of that Modern Motor magazine if you're interested I may be able to run off a copy.

It was January 1974, pages 16-17, 18, 115.

In the same magazine there was a nice shot of a TA22 racer in a Japan CAR show.

Anyway, great catch man.

Yes please, love to have a scan of the article. I'll put it with all the other stuff - log books, repairs bills, maintenance and other stuff I have for the car.

Oh, and keep that grille in good nick - I may need to buy it off you one day Smile

seeyuzz
river
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
icon7.gif  Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Fri, 03 September 2004 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A fantastic car! Old JDM cars are that bit more special than our Aussie models IMHO. And they usually have an interesting history.

I would love a RT112 or RT114 Corona coupe! Anyone know of one in Oz?

Did you realize there was a JDM RT104 Corona GT 2000 bought in by AMI about the same time as well!?! This car still exists in Victoria.

It looks the same as a local RT104 sedan except for the badges, but has a better dash and interior and the same drivetrain as your GT Celica. It was in Modern Motor June 1974. I have the magazine at home.

Try eBay for the Modern Motor that featured your car. Old MM seem to turn up quite often.

Cheers,
Brett.
RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
icon14.gif  Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 08 September 2004 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Last time I saw that Celica GT was at the Melbourne Showgrounds at the end of the 1978 Repco rally. I am sure it was in private hands at that stage as both it and the GT Corona stablemate were coaxed out of AMI, who saw them as a diversion from the perceived market. I was thrown the keys to mine and told to keep it out of sight..I think the Celica GT it was owned by an official of the LCCA who came up and introduced himself. The story behind the GT was that Bill Owbridge CEO of AMI gave it to his wife to drive but the LSD was a handful and she used to do 180's when turning the corner at the lights. Like its stable mate the GT104 Corona (yuk I hate that name) both cars were 200k capable and the Toyota Heads allowed a high comp ratio of 9.7:1.
Mine got out because Steve Baird, (Wes Nalder Stawell Toyota and Noel Richards HDT manager)'s rally mechanic traded it in on a Sandman!!! Rolling Eyes I heard it was coming down to Melbourne so I went out to the Holden Dealers in Sydney road and signed the contract of sale for $3900 sight unseen. When the sales rep came to Melbourne they spewed and tried to wheezle out of the sale but I stuck it out, even was cheeky enough to ask for a full tank of fuel.
My old classic has TRD headers and the original BWA Wheels ex Italy/EU Toyota weighing just 5kg each. If I parked outside AMI in Elizabeth street I was asked to take it out of sight please, we dont want to answer questions as to why we don't import these gt's. All my spares came from Peter and Erin Malone's Toyota Port Vila, New Hebrides and I still have gears, timing chains, valves, and head gaskets that I brought back by air. In Vila and Noumea you could drive around in 2TGT celicas in those days (1979)...In 1995.. I got my carbies rebuilt by Shaun Maloney in Melbourne (03) 9428 5277 for $395.00. In return I gave him a complete set of four types of valve shims... The car has 242,000 km still on original engine but topped. Comps are 175, one is 155 and a bit wheezy. It hates the recent fuels and it is up on blocks since 1995 in statsis. I may donate it to Nagoya who don't have one. Isn't it nice to reminiss and the stories grow like reg Hunts fishing tales. Mine had a full page centre spread in Modern Motor 1974 June Volume 21 no 1 and shares the pages with BMW 3.2's and jensen Interceptors gasp shock horro, oh and the 4 cylinder Torana. . http://members.datafast.net.au/~sg4/CORONAGT.htm

Both the Celica GT and my Corona ran at the Golden Mile one tree hill Hill-Climb at Ararat in 1976 just before I bought it in December 1976.

I have some slides of the GT and will be able to get the original plate number which i think was LUO830 in that series as the word was they just sent details of the latests acquisitions including a Toyota Corona Station wagon 19784 model down to Port melbourne Police station. None of the cars had compliance plates.. Mine still does not have an ADR plate fitted and I still show the original number plates LUO833.

[Updated on: Mon, 13 September 2004 23:04]

RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 08 September 2004 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a white liftback RT114 down at the Portland Observer newspaper in Portland Victoria. Its rusty and has the number plates RT2000 and has an 18RG engine at least. I saw it about a year ago and it looked pretty sad. It originally came from PNG and then Brisbane. I bought it from Dennis Oliver Toyota in the mid 1980's and sold it to this guy/girl in Portland for $7000 in 1984. It had tan interior and no airconditioning like my GT104 also no airconditioning but who cares you drive fast with the windows down. And listen to the exhaust and smell that super fuel pollution. Very Happy

[Updated on: Wed, 08 September 2004 05:08]

bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 08 September 2004 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RT104GT wrote on Wed, 08 September 2004 15:05

There is a white liftback RT114 down at the...

RT114 liftback or hardtop/coupe? I thought the RT114 only came as a coupe?

RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Sun, 12 September 2004 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry wrong model its a 2000 liftback with square headlights and 18RG engine after market. To the best of my knowledge there were only two genuine twin cams 2 lite cars brought in by AMI the RA25 and my RT104 both genuine factory GT's. Some carp about tariff protection and how mthey could bring in 25 domestic models and only 10 GT's and money is money, besides they made the abitrary decision that Australian people would not take to twin cam GT's that did 125 mph.
Speed was unpopular after the 1970's thats why they canned the Phase 5 GT falcon and dropped v8 engines.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Mon, 13 September 2004 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Nice old car. I checked out your site. You should put the original Jap-spec fender mirrors back on it. I'm sourcing some mirrors so I can get them put back onto my old girl.

Keep it going. There's nothing like having and driving a true GT classic. Also, despite what some say, the old 210-head 9.7-1 18RG engine was the best and most powerful, and, from what I have been finding out, quite rare also.

seeyuzz
river
RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Mon, 13 September 2004 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess the factory in Port Melbourne took them off for rego, DOTARS rules say mirrors and like protrusions are pedestrian killers and are outlawed and illegal. I have the original mirrors off my 280Z Fairlady they are electrically adjustable but had to be removed to comply with ADR's. Its a bit sad about the way Toyota has evolved into pedestrian type Camry's and the like. In 1984 when I did my T18 3TC to 3TGTE swap and built a computer myslef..those engines were inspiring 165 horses from 1998 cc in 1983.. Can you imagine what it was like in 1976 to own a 200 kph Toyota that would rev to 7000 rpm and do it quickly? We loaded that car up with half a Corolla in the 1977 Singapore Airline London to Sydney marathon and it would still cruise at 160 kph. Poor thing now has 240,000 k and still on the same engine. Just re-rings and big ends still has the original pistons. Mikuni original carbies were re-shafted in 1995, new points in the original distributor. Most of the OK monitor still works and about ten years ago I swapped the P51 box which whined and clunked in 5th for a W55 box but still have the original P51 box except I can't get any spares for it as the bearings and Porsche type syncro-rings which are bigger and stronger are unobtainable. That box did 225,000 km. The car has only so much street value and it has only ever had two minor prangs (One with a kangaroo during rally trials and a side swiped tree rear quarter ding ditto) and it was fully stripped treated against rust and repainted in matched original purple colour in 1992..It has been under cover since 1982..so I am thinking about and in negotiations to donate the car to Toyota Nagoya for their museum as they don't have one and in this way the history of the car will be preserved and not end up wrapped around a post cos some hoon fitted a 7MGTE or the likes just to see it go faster..

[Updated on: Mon, 13 September 2004 22:53]

RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Mon, 13 September 2004 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
re 18RG engines...There were very few 18rg engines in Australia in 1976 when I got my GT.. I had head gasket problems as the early series head and block are tapped with what I call 12 millimeter bolts. the next series blocks with head from (Yamaha) has 14 mm bolts and the block had to be tapped as I remember when I could not seal the leaking head gasket we (Hamilton Toyota) removed the head and re-drilled the head bolt holes to the larger hole and tapped the block with 14mm fine threads for the bigger bolts, that stopped the bolt threads stripping out at the book torsion values (be very careful here if you EVER do any head work).. In the 1978 Repco Rally Brian Hilton Toyota ran a Red Celica with a GT2000 badge but I don't know if it was for real, I have seen it in Western Australia, I don't know if Stepho' knows its current location but he tells me you are migrating that way so maybe you will hook up with the owner.. Peter Hurrey (deceased) got me to buy himan 18RGEU from a service station in Cantebury Road Sydney (Newtown?) and they re-jetted and fitted the carbies off their 2TG engine which also came from Newtown for the 1978 Repco. I also loaned him my LSD from the Corona for the rally and ran on a 3.9 for a while which gave me good sprint times but only 180 k top, so I borrowed back the 3.7 Viscous diff. That RA24 rally car completed the repco and againw e serviced in the Corona GT East Coast and an SR-5 with twin cam engine...Last seen the Hurrey RA24 GT hybrid was in the local paper here about 5 years ago for $2500 and I was not allowed to buy it on fear of divorce. I still have four BWA Toyota designed genuine magnesium alloy wheels four stud which I will never use if you are interested...I alos have lots of spare parts for the 18RG engine.. API at Springvale started bringing in 18RG engines about 1980/81 they were pretty good and out of Celica GT's as the sumps were the front deep pan type. I bought one and fitted it to a Corona Liftback which is still around here somewhere..I resisted the tempation to fit a 3TGTEU engine to the 104GT in 1984 and I am not so sure that was a good or bad thing.. 145 to 165 is not a big jump in horsepower..145 was the measured power of the 18RG early series engine and I had 95 dynoed at the back wheels by RACV Aussie Dyn in 1978..

[Updated on: Mon, 13 September 2004 23:21]

RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Mon, 13 September 2004 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PS where are your original GT Steel wheels???
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Tue, 14 September 2004 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Wow, there's a bit of history there!

When I got the car it had those 13inch "kidney" mags on it. I upgraded them to 14inch "Bathursts", as per the pics in this forum. I've now got a set of 15x6 Soarer wheels, which are currently being polished and painted. I'll be throwing on some 215/60 at the rear and 205/65 at the front.

I don't know what happened to the original mags, but they are the same that came with the T18, so I'm going to get a set of these for Shows when the car needs to be original spec.

Bad news about my gearbox. It's losing synchro on 3rd gear (on the down change). There was a recon P51 in Sydney, but I had to get the steering fixed and by the time that was done (2 weeks), someone snapped up the box. Sad

Anyway, I've gotten onto Toyota (Castle Hill) and there's a guy there in their spares dept who knows about the more exotic JDM vehicles and he can source some parts and says he has some contacts who can assist. I'll be seeing him tomorrow for an update. Worse comes to worse, I'll throw a W50 into the car and keep the P51 as an original component - and always keep my ears and eyes out for a spare recon P51 or, as I get the synchro parts, get it fixed and put back in the car.

Today I finally bit the bullet and got a new sound system. The old system was totally stuffed. It was just a radio-cass, and 12 years ago the water heater blew a hose and spewed into the radio. After that all I could get was AM (no FM and cass stuffed)- which was great while the cricket was on, but not much good for anything else. Anyway, got new CD-radio (under dash mounted) and new front speakers and the power aerial (which was stuffed for the past 8 years) replaced. Only prob is the rear speakers need replacing. I found this out tonight when I played some CDs and all I got from the rear speakers was distortion. But, hey, they're 22 years old!!!

Now I got a big hole where the radio in the dash once was. I admit my folly, when I was younger and bought the car, to making the dash hole big enough to take a new radio. Damn unhappy about it now. I still got the original radio for the car - I just got to do some fancy worked to fit it again without seeing gaps and holes. In the interim I was thinking about putting a black plastic blanking panel over the hole and getting the "Celica" (chrome one, running script, as per side badge on the car) mounted on it.

I'm not sure what the NSW laws are regarding fender mirrors, but I guess I'll find out once they're installed (when I get a set). But, I think bullbars and large 4WD are more lethal than my little car and its small fender mirrors. I got the chrome blanking plugs on the car, so if it is a big issue, I'll only put the fender mirrors on for Shows. However, I will be removing the XB-Falcon-type door mirror 'cos it would look dicky to have this mirror and the fender mirrors on at the same time. When the XB mirror is removed I will be metal filling the holes and it won't be fitted again - so I hope the fender mirrors can stay.

I don't think I'm ready to donate my car to a museum.... yet. Mind you, I always wondered if Toyota themselves would be interested in borrowing (it is an interesting part of their history) it for shows, demos and other things like that. If so, I think I'd let them use it for such things. However, I feel certain that if I donated the car to an organisation or museum, then there'd be at least 2 people I know in this forum that would probably kill me. Smile

seeyuzz
river

RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
Re Original vs modified. Tue, 14 September 2004 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are any number of modified celica LT 2000's fitted with imported Twin Cam 2T's 3T's 18RG engines, the conversions have been going on for 25 years since the 1st twin cams came into Australia. There is only 1 maybe 2 GT 2000 genuine and one RT104GT. If you modify the car too far from its original you have to ask for what purpose. if you want a fast car fit a 3TGTE to a second hand Celica..

I have a modified 280ZX with that type of set up and to drive it interstate is a pain in the ass. It twiches all overt the highway with its 225x50 series rubber and in the trenches on the Hume left by the semi's in the wet it aqua planes even with new tyres and it dangerous.

http://members.datafast.net.au/~sg4/zedm.jpg

TO LOOK AT 104,000 genuine k's one owner books since sale in March 1979.

My advice if you want a driver car you can't keep it good. So I have a pristine 280ZX with 104,000 km and a 4000 km limit imposed by Shannons and a $10,000 insurance tag, BUT it has to stay in the shed as shopping trolleys, and other moronic events await it, so whats the point?

So I built a driver car for $800 to drive and enjoy and the other thing just sits in the shed making money??? Does it? Maybe. Not much point.

http://members.datafast.net.au/~sg4/280zx5.jpg

TO DRIVE Home brew Fairlady Z-t L20B-Turbo 2 litre engine 5 speed manual 3.5 rear end 2500 rpm equals 100 kph. Cost $800 plus paint job found in wreckers at Melton.

Your Celica according to Steve Baird is as near to original as it was ezxcept for the wheels. Our advice is leave it that way as if you stray too far from the original it wont be the same car. And remember the guys here giving advice would love to own it and rip out the engine and put in a turbo. But then with disc/drum brakes how does it stop so out goes the rear end and so the bastardisation would continue until any resemblance to the original car is long gone.
Even Steve says he wished he kept the GT104 and wished he bought yours from Weribee Toyota but instead he bought a SANDMAN PANEL VAN which is now a recycled Hyundai Evil or Very Mad

Those T18 wheels you talk about are steel and genuine GT Wheels. Going 16 or 17 inch is again the fast and furious approach, looks good, pounds the crap out of the suspension designed for 175x70x14 tyres, the wheels you have now do the car justice and are from that era roughly..I dont know where you can find the original GT wheels if at all.

I have a collectors JDM Fairlady 280Zti with ANSEN wheels and one is damaged, I think the replacement price starts at about USD$1G..

I fished this car out of a river near Armidale last month, so low lifes stole and stripped it and then dropped it into the river so make sure you lock up your TOY.

http://members.datafast.net.au/~sg4/DCP_1840_WinCE.JPG

Street value of 280Z Fairladies in japan range as high as 1.5 million Yen ($25,000) I saw a rusted out Austin Healey for $27000 at Bendigo and a GT lookalike Falcon for $35000 why would you bother?

I have some Datto projects on the go because there are no worthy Toyota projects. Everyone is busting to make these late TOYs go fast by adding turbos, whereas the gracious 280Z's are rusting away in sheds and paddocks for as little as $400 or in some cases freebies..

[Updated on: Wed, 15 September 2004 00:53]

RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Tue, 14 September 2004 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can sell you my JAP mudguard electrically steerable mirrors if you really want but I think you will get a defect notice if you are ever stopped by the fuzz, they are non compliant and illegal..thats why they are taken off every import just like the front and rear orange US clearance lights. and all orange lenses in park/blinker. Makes the car unroadworthy as the ADR's are violated..you will also have to drill two large holes unless like my GT104 the plate was put in

http://members.datafast.net.au/~sg4/Owners.htm

even in japan the Datto guysare pulling those mirros off and there are less and less in use..

[Updated on: Tue, 14 September 2004 20:48]

RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Tue, 14 September 2004 20:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I see from your photo that AMI put the plates in on your guards just like on mine, that confirms the cars history was ex factory Melbourne..I have identical plates in my guards..I never bothered to fill them in when I painted. 1/. cos its too hard, 2/. to keep it original 3/. to one day put the mirrors back on Evil or Very Mad

http://members.datafast.net.au/~sg4/hiroya11.jpg

Just waiting to hook up an old lady Twisted Evil

[Updated on: Tue, 14 September 2004 21:23]

river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Tue, 14 September 2004 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

You're right, except for the wheels and the hole-in-the-dash where the original JDM AM/FM radio goes, the car is original.

It has the same engine, gearbox and LSD that came with it. It has the same interior, seats, steering wheel etc as per import GT 2000.

When the steering and suspension was checked/fixed a few weeks ago, we found the shocks and springs to be in perfect working order (ie no sag in the springs and no leaks from the shocks). So, it's still got all the original suspension. The idler arm, pitman arm and tie-rods were wron and replaced by new TA22 components - 'cos the RA25 has the same underpinnings as the TA22.

The car is insured in the Classic category with Vigil Insurance. It is insured as a vehicle that is driven occasionally and not a full time car. I do not use the car as my daily drive. That's what I use my wifes car for! Smile

Currently I am unemployed, but when (if) I ever get a job I'll be getting a few very small dings fixed and the vehicle cut back and resprayed back in its original colour - which is the same colour as you see in the pics of it in this topic. Also, I'll then be getting a cheap 2nd hand car as my daily drive - and the RA25 will be pulled out for a weekend cruise or for shows. It's only been driven a bit lately 'cos I need to take it to various places to get bits and have it serviced etc.

All I need is a dash from a wrecked TA22 and I can fix the radio hole issue and refit the old radio. Put some fender mirrors on the car and remove the door mirror and it is back to full factory original. Source the T18 wheels and I'm all done.

There are probably a few RA25 GT2000 vehicles in Japan. They come up for auction rarely, but they do pop up from time to time. I've seen a few on the Jap websites, but the Japs never reply. Dunno why - maybe it's a Jap thing?

There is another RA25 GT2000 that I know of in the USA. It's a full import. Dunno if Toymods are happy about this - but the vehicle is pictured in classic-celica.com, in the Hot Celicas Photo Gallery section, under the JDM Model category - so is my car. This car is the 1974/75 version. The early RA25 had the running script "Celica" badge on the side. Mine is a late 1973 build. During the later part of the production run the badging changed to block script. This vehicle has the block script. It also has the fender mirrors, but it needs new front and rear fenders and (I think) a few other pieces. I communicate with the guy (Rodney) a fair bit and, if possible, I try and help him out with spares. However, it appears that we are better off in regards to getting spares for these old cars than they are in the USA.

There is an RA25 ST2000 in Brisbane. This car, the last I saw and heard of it, was in poor shape. It had been painted red from nose to tail (including grille and fenders), had a sun-roof put into it and the insides gutted. The owner was going to restore it back - but not sure if that means putting in the original 18RC motor (that came with the ST variant) - or other drive train components etc.

Someone in this forum spotted a green RA25 some months ago in Western Sydney. Not sure if this was a GT or not. If this car had the same bonnet as mine, then it would have to be an RA25 'cos the RA28 bonnet is longer and you can't change the bonnets on the cars. RA25 uses the TA22 bonnet size/shape. You can fit, with some work, the 5-slot tail lights of the RA25 to an RA28.

Yes, my car is ex-AMI Melbourne. I got the paper work for road compliance (as it doesn't have a comp plate) and also a short blurb on its history - which I requested when I purchased the car (mid 1982), which mentions it was imported by AMI for evaluation.

It was used, for a time, by the director of AMI who was great friends with Laurie Stewart (Stewart Toyota). Stewart used this car as the centre-piece for the opening of his new Toyota dealership, with the promise that AMI let him have the vehicle when they no longer required it. When that occured, I was lucky enough to be driving past and saw it and bought it. The rest is history Smile

seeyuzz
river

PS: I didn't think my fender mirrors were electrically controlled? Where would the switchs be, inside the vehicle, to control the mirrors? THere appears to be no holes or missing switchs inside the car.
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Tue, 14 September 2004 23:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane, where did you end up going for your idler arms and pitman arms?
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Tue, 14 September 2004 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I spoke to Pretty-boy (El Presidente). He's a champion and a freak.

However, fear not my red-headed friend. I do believe the idler and pitman arms I have (which didn't fit my car) are for an RA28. You can have them for a song. I'll collect them tomorrow when I get the sway-bar fitted and you can have a look and see if they'll fit your baby.

seeyuzz
river
RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 15 September 2004 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think my GT fender bender mirrors and yours are same template as you have the identical blanking plates as I have blanking off my holes. In the 280ZX Datto the electric mirror controls are on the centre consolle facing the gear lever. On Toyotas they are normal near the left side of the steering wheel.
I will check my mirrors out and if they half way resemble the Celica one you can have them.
If you had electric mirrors there will be a polarised socket near the rubber gromet where the side light cable goes through and the cable s will run into the wiring loom back into the cab. I will check the wiring harness for you.

Do you have the wierd low level parking lights? I have this switch on the steering column that switches on four 5 watt pea lamps in front and rear for night clearance. The 280Z Fairlady has same thing but Aussie 280zx has it removed.

The Original Celica workshop books are available around the place. come in three volumes or four volums Motor group, Body Group Chassis Group and EFI they are green or white and cover 18RG P51 etc.

Steve Baird owned the Green Celica I think.

There also is a story that once upon a time there was a two door coupe RT114 in Sydney running GT gear.

I saw a 2000 GT in Alice in the 1976 rally it was identical to mine except two doors left hand drive and a 20R engine. I don't know if it had the P51 gearbox I have a photo somewhere..

I am not fussed about the P51 being taken out of mine or the LSD.
There was no noticeable driving difference and the P51 crunched in first from brand new so I ran auto transmission oil in both the gearbox and the diff which made it woprkeable in traffic.

You have me inspired now and once I clear the shed of this Fairlady Zed project I will roll the 104 out and kick start it. My roof lining has sagged down as the glue has gone crystalline but I see in the PPG shop this am you can buy spary on glue so I will empty a can of that into the roof area and smooth the roof lining back up.

I also have this neat gadget which you may have. The OK gadget??

http://members.datafast.net.au/~sg4/OKGT.jpg

Here is my VIN plate

http://members.datafast.net.au/~sg4/VIN.jpg

So going by your old number plate which is a K series and mine being an L series the 104 came in at least a year after yours.
Which is unusual as I thought the CEO had both the cars and later bought his wife a Trueno GT.

Here is your VIN numbers translated

RA25-MQ-GG (note the second dash)
M=5 speed floor shift manual
Q=GT (no paired G, code format changed a little from your car)
After dash is trim level
G=JDM spec GT interior trim (U=US spec GT trim)
G=JDM spec GT exterior trim

[Updated on: Wed, 15 September 2004 00:40]

river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 15 September 2004 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I have a roof mounted warning light array, but it is not the same as yours. The later GT's had one similar to yours, but the earlier ones only had 3 lights - Feul, Brakes and Washer Fluid.

I just came back from Toyota and the P51 doesn't have synchros like normal boxes - instead it has these various "bands". THey can get a couple of them, but they also gave me the details of a local gearbox mob who have serviced the P51 before and have a number of spare parts. So, I'm going to call them soon and go over and see them.

YEs, I have the little night lights. My hazard switch rotates, as well as pulling it out. Pulling it out activates the hazards, as per normal. Rotating the swtich to the left activates the left side night lights, rotating it right once activates the right side night lights, rotate it again to the right activates both left and right side lights.

Do you get those wonderful chimes when you hit 110kph?

I'm glad I've encouraged you. What you got is indeed a rare vehicle. At least a number of people knew of the RA25 model, but it appears less know about the RT104. So, if I was you, I'd be sprucing the old girl up.

My roof lining was sagging so I got a new one put in. It's black (as per interior of the car) velour and its really nice, non reflective (which the vinayl can be at times - esepcially at night with headlights on behind you) and it quietens the car down a little.

So good to see another old classic still around - just get it done up and show us all the pics of your progress. One day we'll have to mee tup for a "classic GT Toyota" photo shoot.

seeyuzz
river
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 15 September 2004 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RT104GT wrote on Wed, 15 September 2004 10:32

There also is a story that once upon a time there was a two door coupe RT114 in Sydney running GT gear.

I have seen two RT114 (non-GT) in Sydney - one was Chocolate Brown and came from South Africa as a personal import by a neighbour of my Gradmother in Taren Point. The owner moved away and I have not seen the car since.

Another time I saw a yellow RT114 in traffic on the Princes Highway at Sylvania. I alwayas wondered if this was the Brown car resprayed, as it was in the same area.

I've been thinking about getting an RT114 shipped from South Africa. But it would not be cheap to do!
RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 15 September 2004 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a nice photo of this 2000GT 20R from Alice somewhere.

<<<<< And in case you are wondering thats four by 7 inch super Oscars running 130 watt inserts plus two A4's running 100 on high beam add that up is why I had 100 amp aletrnator. 3/4 kw input of light or 65 amps on high beam.

EFI 18R-GEU was introduced in Oct 1978 (RA4# Celica, RA4# Carina and
RT13# Corona).
European GT's continued with the carby 18R-G for a couple of more years
but used the EFI head.

18R-G (yours and mine ) had small valves and big non dowelled cams with 8RB type gears attached by three bolts. (up to 1976).
18R-GU had slightly smaller cams with variable dowell and a single big bolt holding the gears on.(1976 to 1978).
18R-GEU had bigger valves and smaller cams (1978 onwards)

I have started the restore slowly. I panel beat the floor out as although I had a sump guard when I drove down over the dirt from Alice to ort Augusta in 15 hours in 1976 did not have flor guards so my floor is dinged up. I wish I had treated the car better and not rallied it. But I was only 25 and the car was awesome for its day. CHIMES at 110 nope just an orange line on the speedo from 100 to 150 and red from 150 to 200.
Red line was 7250.

7000 often in the mountains and when overtaking on the highway.

60 in first 90 in second 150 in 3rd 180 in 4th 200 in fifth.

Engine needed rings at 140,000 km
main bearings still original oil pressure has been 70 psi for 240,000 km.
I am running a Crown six spring clutch and pressure plate.
Even my centre tailshaft thrust bearing is original wheel bearings are new and so are the tie rod ends, idler arm and ball joints Springs original shocks are Monroe Whylie Monaro GTS and they have been in it since 1984.

Steering box is the original and I dont have air or power steering just pure four cyclinder grunt unfetted by any stuff. I have a small pulley on the lower crank as I used to rev too hard and blow the top tank off the radiator. So i slowed the water pump down. Also have 100 amp alternator of a Truck of some sort. Original distributor still runs points. I have all the Japanese placards saying dont forget to check the oil and water before you go driving. I have my original Japanese drivers handbook. AHSO Twisted Evil

Evil or Very Mad

[Updated on: Wed, 15 September 2004 06:55]

RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 15 September 2004 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve and I were reminiscing last night and reviewing what we had owned in our life from Toyota.

In 1969 I bougth an RT40S which would do 100 mph at 7000 rpm in fourth it used a 4R engine with dual side draft Aisan carbies.
Steve in 1970 bought a 1900SL running an 8RB engine and same carbies with bigger jets and extractors.
I had a 1900GSL I bought off Don Bruce Toyota which had a 8RG engine 1900cc twin cam and same carbies as the 2TG it was a coupe bright red and a five speed gearbox dont know where it is today would be worth $25000.
Teh I found a two door GT5 which had a 9R engine which is the 4R with a twin cam Yamaha head it came from japan and did 125 mph.
I sold it to a guy in Queensland in 1974 and bought it back in 1976.

I sold it to a mate in 1977 and he wrote it off in the Grampians during the Tunbridge memorial rally.

Then Steve Got the 104 GT and yours came into Weribee Toyota where it stayed for years and I bought the 104 when Steve traded ona sandman.

In tha past few years I have passed over an RT40S coupe and Mark 2 RT40S and a GT4 Celica which I now think I want one.
I fitted a 3TGTE turbo 2Litre from a TT142 into a T18 which scared the hell out of me and would accelerate flat out in fifth gears off the speedo past 200 km/h.
It is still around rego is CBL237 and I had a full page in Turbo Australia in 1984 6 years before anyone had even heard of a 3TGTE.

[Updated on: Wed, 15 September 2004 07:04]

river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 15 September 2004 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I got the Jap book also. All in Japanses, so it doesn't help me that much. Got nice pics - such as how to lower the back seat so you can fit your golf clubs. Smile

My tacho goes yellow at 7000 then red from 7000 to 9000 rpm.

Now, I need some clarification on the 18RG. I've been using PULP for as long as it's been available and the engine, as mentioned in earlier posts, was dynoed and carbies overhauled a month or so ago. The engine is running perfect, and Kleinig, who is a bit of a whiz with these motors (NSW equivalent to Maloney - who I have heard of) says it's in great condition and was very pleased with the tune-up results. He said that PULP is fine with this motor 'cos it's got hardened head etc. He also said that he'd notice it during tune up if there was a problem with it - considering I been using PULP for many years - it would be badly corroded and giving many problems. So, I'm figuring the PULP is fine with this early 18RG? No UCL required?

seeyuzz
river
RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 15 September 2004 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah 96 98 RON will be fine. I think its about time I pulled my points dizzy out and put in an igniter type so if you can advise me and find me one somewhere in Sydney would be grateful.
RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 15 September 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Has your book got the speed curves in it on the 18RG?
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 15 September 2004 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RT104GT wrote on Wed, 15 September 2004 17:02

Then Steve Got the 104 GT and yours came into Weribee Toyota where it stayed for years and I bought the 104 when Steve traded ona sandman.

Werribee Toyota? That's about 1.5km from my house! Shocked
RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 15 September 2004 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have been asking about your car and it seems it was with AMI in Port Melbourne then I think the Weribee guy got it as a loaner and then it went to Tom Bonilly Motors at Seacombe Gardens SA (Toyota) cos one day I drove in there for fuel and he told me he had seen the 18RG engine before (That was about 1978) not sure of the number plates at the repco rally at Melbourne showgrounds will have to check my slide collection. I thought it had NSW plates but might be wrong.

checvk this out

http://carocam.hp.infoseek.co.jp/sedan-gt/GT-coron a.htm

Neat huh?

[Updated on: Wed, 15 September 2004 07:24]

river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 15 September 2004 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

In Melbourne the plates were KRH-555. It was used by Ken Hougham, the president of AMI at the time.

In SA the plates probably were SAD-555.

The vehicle was given NSW compliance on the 3rd May, 1982 - with rego plates of LUA-099.

When fully restored back to how it should be the plates will be either "RA25GT" or "THE88". The car has always been affectionly known as "The Eighty Eight" by my family and all and sundry who know the car.

seeyuzz
river

river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Wed, 15 September 2004 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
Me again! Smile

Just letting you (bnicho & RT104GT) know that the car will be at the Show & Shine on the 3rd of October. So, if you live in Sydney come on and have a gander. Maybe even if you live elsewhere you may still want to come. There'll be a stack of other Toyotas for you to feast you eyes on also.

Yes, my book has the speed graphs of the 18RG and the speed graphs of the 18RC ST and LT variants of the vehicle.

seeyuzz
river
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Thu, 16 September 2004 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hiya river,

I would love to see your car in the metal, but I live in Melbourne, and I have other commitments that weekend, so I won't be able to make it. Sad

If there are any RT112 or RT114 Corona coupes (same front panels as the RT104) please take some pics for me. They are my favourite Toyota!

Thanks.
RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
WANTED ALL 18RG original owners. Fri, 17 September 2004 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you own an original 18RG engined machine of have fitted one in a decent way please let us know.

Website is being modified to accomodate and record all versions of twin cam celica/Corona in Australia/New Zealand. If possible. Will also accept any genuine 2TG engine Celicas, old GT5 with the 9R where is it??? Truenos and levins all were here at some time in past 30 years.. http://members.datafast.net.au/~sg4/
RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
I think I found the RA40 2000GT Ex Hilton Racing Circa 1978. Sun, 19 September 2004 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I may be wrong but this looks like it.

http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/toyota/80/othetoyo/smthane1.jpg

http://www.fortunecity.com/silverstone/toyota/80/othetoyo/smthane4.jpg

Badge is as per what I remember.

Dont know why its SA rego unless it was sold over that way after the 1978 repco?? Anyone know.

[Updated on: Sun, 19 September 2004 00:36]

RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
RT112/114 Sun, 19 September 2004 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am chasing up a lead on the two door Corona GT I saw in 1976 while on the SAL Rally in Alice. A friend of mine says it was sold to a girl (a blonde) who worked at the Peter Kittle Toyota car wash and who took it down to Port Lincoln in SA about 17 years ago. It has been re registered at least once again in the NT. It still has NT plates on it and it is Saxony Black and Gold Metallic.

Problem is being L-Hand drive and a private import (Ex US serviceman) DOTARS will not let it change hands to be re-registered and it is currently out of rego. The only way would be to get someone in the NT to buy it and register it there and then sell it to you. i think the price is $2500 the location mid North SA at Clare or Crystal Brook. I have lost track of the girl i think here name was Rene and her ride was called the rocket. The engine is a 20R. and she is now back in NT after leaving here farmer husband who wanted to cut the car up. She pleaded for someone to buy it back in April and dropped the price to $2500 so the story goes.

[Updated on: Sun, 19 September 2004 00:51]

bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Sun, 19 September 2004 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow! That would be fantastic if you came up with a lead on that car! I would be very interested in it. 20R and LHD would suit me just fine and I'm sure I could work out a way around the DOTARS issues. Smile

I've been looking every couple of weeks all this year for something like that to turn up. I like your 4 door GT but I would really rather have a hardtop (even if it is not a Twin Cam or a GT).

river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Sun, 19 September 2004 23:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Japan Toyota has a set of original fender mirrors for the RA25.

I'm going to Toyota today to pre-pay for them. They'll be here in 2 weeks. Excellent stuff! She's going back to full JDM specifications! Smile

seeyuzz
river
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Mon, 20 September 2004 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I'm on fire today! Here's another update.

Just got back from Toyota, and they are also sourcing me an original TA22/RA25 radio blanking panel. Smile Also, they've got a clock knob in stock and it will be here tomorrow. I'm impressed that the few fiddly bits and pieces are available.

They also are very interested in putting the car in their showroom when it's all done. They're thinking of putting it beside the new Celica. I suppose a "that was then, this is now" theme.

Dunno about the rest of you, but I'd be saying to them "Hey, can you get me the old one, it looks better than the new model?"

Also wenmt to the spray painters and they can remove the door mirror, weld in some metal to plug the hole and match the paint. Also fix the little shopping-trolly ding on the side also, and paint the rocker cover for me. I'll get that done as soon as I get the fender mirrors. Pity, it won't be ready until afer the Show & Shine, so I'm gonna have to show it as is at the moment.

Now, all I need is a job to get all this stuff paid for. Anyone wanna lend me a few grand? Smile

seeyuzz
river
RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
ARCHIVED MATERIAL 1976 GT COUPE RT112 Mon, 20 September 2004 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The internet is a great place to share stuff that would otherwise be buried in the local dumpster. here are my old black and white shots I took for Autoaction in 1976 on the SAL rally and some internal shots of this two door left hand drive coupe. We bailed the US guy up at Peter Kittle Toyota in October 1976 when he came in for a car wash, I think he thought Aussies were nuts. We borrowed the car in exchange for our rally support car. I think maybe the yank thought he was going to get a free deal..

We came up in this road in 10 hours from Laverton.
http://members.datafast.net.au/sg4/lost.jpg
Photo taken in 2000 brought back memories...

LUO-833 at Jackson gate far west Queensland Oct 1976 yes that is a 100 watt reversing Super Oscar !! Evil or Very Mad
http://members.datafast.net.au/sg4/SALGT.jpg

We asked for some photo shots and a drive, these photos ended up in Autoaction and it was/is a 2000 SR5 not a GT.
Interior was GT however.

http://members.datafast.net.au/sg4/SR5.jpg

Interior identical to my GT except on opposite side of car.

http://members.datafast.net.au/sg4/SR52.jpg

Crap handling rolled like a top heavy duck.

http://members.datafast.net.au/sg4/Sways.jpg

Great space in the rear.

http://members.datafast.net.au/sg4/seats.jpg

Singapore Airlines enroute..
http://members.datafast.net.au/sg4/Rally.jpg
http://members.datafast.net.au/sg4/operahouse.jpg

Some shots of the Nalder/Richards Trueno at the Sydney Opera House and in Temora at a control passage that won Class A in 1976.

[Updated on: Mon, 20 September 2004 03:01]

river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Mon, 20 September 2004 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Interesting pics.

I noticed the vehicle has a front and rear side indicator light. In the case of the RA25, the Jap pics show only a single side indicator on the front. I was always under the assumption the rear side indicator light was put onto my vehicle by AMI to met Australian regulations - along with the removal of the fender mirrors (replaced by a single driver-side door mirror).

seeyuzz
river
RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Mon, 20 September 2004 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Side Lights... The car I saw had just come off a Starlifter flown direct from USA and had a rear but no front plate (I assume it had falled off in shipment).
On US cars the rear side light is illuminated whenthe parkign lights on, unsure about the front light. I possibly tooka photo as I wanted to illustrate the differences (It was 25 years ago).

I dont have a rear side indicator light. I will check a few RA photos overseas and see if they do.

bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Mon, 20 September 2004 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm really enjoying talking about these interesting old Toyotas! And looking at all the interesting pics!

All US sold cars had to have sidelights that came on with the parking lights from 1968 - red at the rear, amber at the front. This is why the RT115 in the photos has them. BTW: An RT115 is a US spec RT114 hardtop with the 20R engine 5mph impact bumpers and pollution crap.

Steve, If you look real close you can see the far right "gauge" on the yank car is actually two warning lights - low charge and low oil pressure warnings according to the US SR5 owners book I bought on eBay. Your RT104 GT has two extra gauges there instead I think??

Some US states didn't and still don't require a front number plate to be fitted. I cannot make out in the photos what state this car was registered in.
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Mon, 20 September 2004 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Ahhh, the old Lockheed C141 Starlifter. They've just recently finished an upgrade program for them. They had a lot of fatigue and have proven so useful that the USAF decided to spend the money to give them a bit more life.

I'd love to take a few pics of my car next to a Starlifter, or better yet, a Hercules. Wonderful stuff.

I'd swap my car in an instance for a Herky bird! Smile

seeyuzz
river
RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
Gt2000's Mon, 20 September 2004 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My gauges left to right are Oil Pressure/AMP Combo Water and Fuel Speedo Tacho and analogue clock.

I notice that the illustration shows electric mirro adjustments using a toggle joystick for each one.

The SR5 was a mid west state either OK or one of the Dakotas, he was a technical specialist at Pine Gap.

They are not supposed to leave cars behind and there is a fair bit of stuff on the DOTARS website about private imports and Left hand drive.

I have a 1978 Fairlady 280Zti in my shed and have to wait until 2008 to have it registered. It is number 824 of 1000000

I wonder about my non compliant GT and should contact Toyota and try to get paperwork like came with yours..

OK on the red/orange lights I think the Monaro had them or some HQ holdens but they fell out of favour.

[Updated on: Mon, 20 September 2004 09:26]

bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Mon, 20 September 2004 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In the US owners manual the gauges are the same on the SR5 except the combined amp and oil pressure is replaced with the warning lights I mentioned above.

I had a dig through the DOTARS site when I was considering importing an RT114 for South Africa. I'll go back an have another look at the LHD bits.

Is your Fairlady LHD? Why can't it be registered until 2008? No import papers?

Your GT should not be an issue to re-register in Vic as it has a provable Victoria registration history. If you tried to register it interstate you may strike problems.

Cheers.
RT104GT
Regular

September 2004
Re: Fairlady Tue, 21 September 2004 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The ZTi is 1978 RHD.
Pretty shit hot racing version 150 hp L28 efi engine circa 1978 around same time as the 280Z carbie model was running out.

http://members.datafast.net.au/~sg4/p_ura_02.jpg

Photo of what my Manhattan painted car looked like once..

while Toyota mucked around with twin cams Nismo just made big sixes, cars were tooo heavy for their own good.

my 81 is compliant. Just rolled it out as we had two warm days and i got the paint done. Now for the Corona.

BEFORE after dunking.
 http://members.datafast.net.au/~sg4/DCP_1818_WinCE.JPG

http://members.datafast.net.au/~sg4/DENT.jpg
AFTER

My painting is getting better
 http://members.datafast.net.au/~sg4/DCP_2048_WinCE.JPG

[Updated on: Tue, 21 September 2004 11:54]

bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: RA25 GT2000 (1973 model) Tue, 21 September 2004 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Excellent! Smile

If you find out any more about that US import LHD hardtop, let me know. Where was it last advertised for sale in April?

Cheers.
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:My 1994 Camry
Next Topic:ke30 from the Netherlands
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:45:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010749101638794 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.