Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Thu, 24 June 2004 09:05 Go to next message
Im about to install my fuel pump, its a low pressure, high flow Holley blue one. Where is ideal for me to mount this? near the fuel tank and have a pick up line off where the std fuel pump was??? Is this how the pump was intended to be mounted?

Thanks guys.

Blake
  Send a private message to this user    
dcving
Regular

May 2002

Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Thu, 24 June 2004 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
as far away as possible, due to the noise they put out, i have one in my car as a primary pump and its fucfing loud Smile
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Thu, 24 June 2004 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i.e near the fuel tank?

Is there a special way they work...i mean is one of the delivery/ output line best being shorter than the other or???
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Thu, 24 June 2004 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep as far away from your ears as possible, they're attrocious in the noise department!!! Mount it on rubber insulators under the floor pan, and as close to the tank as possible - these pumps are designed to push, not pull fluid. Remember they also use fuel to lubricate themselves, so don't run it dry!

Clint
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Thu, 24 June 2004 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok ill have to find somewhere up in that tightass little space to fit it now!

Should i be using solid steel line or rubber hose? Obviously the ma61 efi lines are too small?

[Updated on: Thu, 24 June 2004 10:43]

CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Thu, 24 June 2004 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you'll find rubber fuel lines run outside the cabin are illegal - they are here in WA. Get a length of "Bundy Tube" from and fluid transfer mob (ie Pirtek, Enzed, ...), and a pipe bender, and start bending to suit your floor pan. You can also match your pump inlet and outlets, along with the pipe diameter to suit the carby fuel delivery diamter (3/8 for Holley carbs from memory?!?).
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Thu, 24 June 2004 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont know off the top of my head...3/8 sounds familar tho
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Thu, 24 June 2004 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey V8_MA61 what GPH or LPH does it pump?

also CLG if rubber hoses are illegal then how do you get a stock TA22 registered? the fuel line coming in/out of tank are connected to rubber hoses and then back to fuel lines isnt that right?
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Thu, 24 June 2004 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
blake: mount as low as possible so it doesn't have to suck fuel up to the pump.

In the RA40, mine is hung below the floor in small gap between the tank and the brace running under floor behind the diff.

u can use flex hose to join various things up (as you're not running at high pressure) tho the line under the car has to be metal.

If you have to replace any lines it will be the main feed line only... but i think you'll find that the existing main line is adequate. It's npot like your running a top fueler - big arsed fuel lines will simply need larger (and noisier) pump to shift fuel.

cheers,

[Updated on: Thu, 24 June 2004 10:53]

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Thu, 24 June 2004 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fade-e wrote on Thu, 24 June 2004 20:52

Hey V8_MA61 what GPH or LPH does it pump?

also CLG if rubber hoses are illegal then how do you get a stock TA22 registered? the fuel line coming in/out of tank are connected to rubber hoses and then back to fuel lines isnt that right?

I think it is 160GPH / 650 LPH
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Thu, 24 June 2004 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Thu, 24 June 2004 20:52

blake: mount as low as possible so it doesn't have to suck fuel up to the pump.

In the RA40, mine is hung below the floor in small gap between the tank and the brace running under floor behind the diff.

u can use flex hose to join various things up (as you're not running at high pressure) tho the line under the car has to be metal.

If you have to replace any lines it will be the main feed line only... but i think you'll find that the existing main line is adequate. It's npot like your running a top fueler - big arsed fuel lines will simply need larger (and noisier) pump to shift fuel.

cheers,

Main feed to the motor? I think stock lines are like 3/16?

[Updated on: Thu, 24 June 2004 10:56]

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Thu, 24 June 2004 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the stock lines on the RA40 fed that big arsed stromberg infront of the turbo - the larger lines in the MA61 should also suit?

what does a factory carbi v8 with elec pump run?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Thu, 24 June 2004 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn..i really dont know Confused
All i know is my carby is a 750cfm and will need lots of fuel to make the power.

Clint?

[Updated on: Thu, 24 June 2004 11:10]

thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Thu, 24 June 2004 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a rough calculation (based on fuel/injector use <http://www.megasquirt.info/manual/minj.htm>)...
400Hp needs 4 x 620cc/min injectors running at 85% duty cycle
which is roughly 42cc per second - if the fuel lines can deliver that at low pressure the holley wants then they should suffice...
earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Thu, 24 June 2004 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Personally I would go to the 3/8 line. I'd expect the fuel consumption of a 750cfm Holley to well exceed that of a Stromberg at WOT (I assume we are talking single CD-Stromberg side draught?).

Using the smaller 3/16 line will obviously be a flow restriction, making the pump push harder under high fuel demands.

What is done to the V8 motor, I assume reasonably worked to be using a 750cfm on it...

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Fri, 25 June 2004 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
um..worked a lil bit
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Fri, 25 June 2004 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd look at using some sort of in-tank pump if possible, otherwise you'll have to fabricate your own in-tank pickup which the MA61 tank obviously lacks. This sounds like it could be pretty annoying. In-tank pumps tend to be quieter as well, which is a handy bonus.

The stock fuel lines should be fine, remember you've got a big-arse pump pushing the fuel all the way down the line, it's not like a mechanical pump trying to suck it from the other end of the car! Bigger fuel lines are generally only necessary for drag cars and/or methanol where huge volumes of fuel are required.

If you're worried, just put a fuel pressure gauge on the engine when you first run it on the dyno; if the fuel system is lacking in any way you'll know about it immediately.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Fri, 25 June 2004 14:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The MA61 should have a 1/2" feed line to the original external EFI pump. I'd use that to feed the Holley Blue, with a 3/8" line out of it, to feed the new 3/8" fuel line you'll also install. This new fuel line will feed the 750cfm Holley with no problems what so ever, but will agree with Norbie - a fuel pressure guage will provide cheap insurance, regardless of your set up. The setup I have outlined will eliminate the need to step up or down the fuel line size, and regardless of flow rates, will eliminate bottle necks which will wear the internal pipe work over time - everything that moves has some form of errrosive quality, even fuel.

Your original fuel line will be 5/16"
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Sat, 26 June 2004 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks heaps guys.
earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Sat, 26 June 2004 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I only asked what was done to the motor to require a 750cfm Holley.

This is my opinion only, but a 750cfm Holley would probably be too big for a mildly worked 302 Windsor. If you were being sarcastic when you said 'worked a lil bit' then I take back the remark.

Is the carb a double pumper or vacuum secondaries?

Go great when you rev it up, but could be a bugger down low. What redline have you got?

[Updated on: Sat, 26 June 2004 12:27]

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Sat, 26 June 2004 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It should rev to 8500 without damage..but the limiter will be set to 7000.

It is mildly worked...and i believe my 750cfm vac secs carbie wont be big enough..i need a double pumper i believe...but we will wait and see.

believe me this will have strong and broad performance from 1500 to 6500.
earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Sat, 26 June 2004 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I completely believe you, and wasnt intending to question your judgment.

As I said, it was my opinion only but I dont know a lot about your engine (obviously).

Good luck with the car Smile

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Sat, 26 June 2004 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
earlyrolla wrote on Sat, 26 June 2004 23:26

I completely believe you, and wasnt intending to question your judgment.

As I said, it was my opinion only but I dont know a lot about your engine (obviously).

Good luck with the car Smile

Ta mate...im sure you will hear of it soon when it is finished Wink
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Sat, 26 June 2004 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CLG wrote on Sat, 26 June 2004 00:23

The MA61 should have a 1/2" feed line to the original external EFI pump. I'd use that to feed the Holley Blue, with a 3/8" line out of it, to feed the new 3/8" fuel line you'll also install.

actually, this MA61 had an intank pump (which now resides in my ma61 Evil or Very Mad ) the hanger and stuff holdingthe pump is still there - just not the motor

so blake will have to extend the feed line down from where it originally connected to the pump (about 4" up from the bottom of the tank) to some sort of pickup (with a simple gauze filter) that's close to where the original was.
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Sat, 26 June 2004 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
iv been folowing this thread and ended up going to the holley wite www.holley.com and they recommend against using their pumps with EFI cars. does anyone here use a holley on EFI?
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Sat, 26 June 2004 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
750 holley is way to big for a 302! dont listern to anyone that tells you the 750 is ok its way way to big! use a 600 holley with vac secondarys it will make more power be more fuel effecient and have less flat spots. we use 750 holleys on things like 6 litre chev race motors that make over 600hp which you wont get anywere near with a 302. example a top V8 supercar engine{5litre} make around the 600hp max and cost $80k-100k to build!
mick
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Sun, 27 June 2004 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Sun, 27 June 2004 09:25

750 holley is way to big for a 302! dont listern to anyone that tells you the 750 is ok its way way to big! use a 600 holley with vac secondarys it will make more power be more fuel effecient and have less flat spots. we use 750 holleys on things like 6 litre chev race motors that make over 600hp which you wont get anywere near with a 302. example a top V8 supercar engine{5litre} make around the 600hp max and cost $80k-100k to build!
mick

ok mate, ill believe you...i only have been talking to the guy whos had 35 years of build RACE engines advice...surely he might actually know something telling me it might not be big enough? he only built and drives a 1300hp mustang and races it around circuit, builds all the QLD sprint cars and many 600hp+ 351 and 350 chev engines for street cars!!

BTW: V8 supercars are 5.7L and also have 660BHP.

um...they cost that much to build because they are built to cop and absolute caining whilst being driven for 10hrs and 1000km revving to 8500rpm every change.

[Updated on: Sun, 27 June 2004 08:09]

earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Sun, 27 June 2004 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fade-e, The Holley Blue is a low pressure pump (14PSI max, usually 9PSI line pressure).

The only time you would use this pump with EFI would be as a lift pump to a surge tank. For this purpose you would have to have a pretty potent motor to require a Holley Blue as a lift pump.

Most EFI pumps are roller cell and operate around 40-60PSI (as far as I know).
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Sun, 27 June 2004 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
earlyrolla wrote on Sun, 27 June 2004 21:24

fade-e, The Holley Blue is a low pressure pump (14PSI max, usually 9PSI line pressure).

The only time you would use this pump with EFI would be as a lift pump to a surge tank. For this purpose you would have to have a pretty potent motor to require a Holley Blue as a lift pump.

Most EFI pumps are roller cell and operate around 40-60PSI (as far as I know).

30-40psi is normal for an efi pump
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Mon, 28 June 2004 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lmao so he has a 1300hp mustang wow must be amazing ive never heard of it! and i dont know which races he does but i can tell you there isnt a 1300hp circuit car racing in australia as i would know about it!lmao the only way it would be 1300hp is twin turbo and it would be shit to drive as it would have a power band of max 1500rpm and you couldnt hold it in power band threw the gears! ive driven a 1000hp commdore and it was crap to drive as the turbos a huge to make that sort of power and the engine dont last very long at that horsepower and they are only good for dyno shoot outs and drag racing not circuit. V8 supercars are 660hp!hahaha ill bet your car that there is not one engine in a V8 supercar that is anywere near this and to prove it im happy to bet your car on it and ill organise an engine of your choice and we will throw it on the engine dyno!thats if your cars worth the dyno fee! over the years i have dynoed about 15 of the engines and they are no were near it. i can tell you exactly every part in there engine from bearings clearences to piston pin hight.
lol 750 holley to small for 302w lmfao ill pass this on to the nascar teams we deal with as the must need 3000cfm carbys!
if you drag race a very expensive 302 and dont mind fouling plugs driving it on the street a 750 would work ok but on the street you will be going threw plugs like lollys and it will be a dog to drive and your engine will wear quick because the fuel will be washing the bores all the time and you will have loads of detonation from to much fuel!
but in all cases listern to your engine builder because he's the one you have to try and get money out of when the engine does do what it should.
lol
mick
now were was i, yes i remmeber i was just about to put the new manifold on the 780hp at the wheels commodore that is sitting next to me in my garage so i can make up all the alloy piping to get the engine to go over the 800hp mark at the wheels. god the guy that owns the car is an idiot for letting me do the work on a VT clubsport that has had $140k spent on it so far. $90k on the engine! then ill drive it down to the workshop put it on our dyno and tune it! then ill do some work on our race car the new part has arrived for the gearbox which is a hewland VGC $70k worth of gearbox if you want to see the car its the supercar destroyer on the cover of the zoom racing edition. we build them from scratch in house.sorry but people crack me up and i was bored waiting for blue poo to tack-off a bit.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Mon, 28 June 2004 00:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i ment to add whom is your egine builder? {not jeff is it)if i dont know him ill give him a ring we sell lots of things he needs!
lol
mick
p.s the supercars rev to 8500rpm do they. and are 5.7 litres.

[Updated on: Mon, 28 June 2004 00:29]

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Mon, 28 June 2004 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow thats a big reply. good effort.

i am not going to put my engine builders name on here for the sake of idiots calling him telling him about how you know more than he does and he should upgrade.

FYI the mustang has twin T04's, running 12PSI on a 351 wimdsor. It circuit races around qld race way. At ANY speed it wheelspins, and it revs from 1500 to 7000 using the turbos potential for the full band. 3/4 throttle is all he could manage to get it up to 240km/hr and have wheelspin.

Have you heard of over 10% the over 1000hp cars in australia?

Haha as far as the engine builder being the one at fault, i should rephrase that. He is the one offering advice, i myself am putting the engine together. He is only cutting my pistons for valve clearances and measuements and balancing the bottom end for me. He also designed what i should be putting in the motor.

Also, how can you judge my engine by not knowing what is even in it?? Sure, a 750cfm carby would be way too big for a stock ford-built 302! Stock carby is 350cfm for christs sake..

I applaud you...so you put manifolds and things on cars right? Do you ever design engines for people? You must know more than every shop and knowledgeable person in brisbane right?

And why the hell should i tell you whats in my motor? A few friends of mine know, but im damn sure it'll be built tougher than 99% of any other engine on this forum (sorry if that seems im blowing wind up my ass!)

[Updated on: Mon, 28 June 2004 01:37]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Mon, 28 June 2004 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
****ADMIN****

and here endeth the begining of the "what power will blake's V8 make" argument. same goes for the "who knows who does what" with engine building.

any more posts past this point will be deleted as youve each had opportunity for attack and reply... going further is just childish

cheers
ed
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Mon, 28 June 2004 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here btw: i admit i was wrong re the rpm of supercars. its 7500
620+ BHP...so 660 is a "little bit" over.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/technical/rules/2004 update/AVESCO_HoldenVYCommodore.pdf

And im not sure about the displacement anymore, as i cant load that page...a mate read it for me.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Mon, 28 June 2004 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry ed, you replied before i did !
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Mon, 28 June 2004 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol i wasnt attacking more tongue in cheek reply when i was bored.
mick
p.s i had a bit more to add but i dont want it deleted.

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: holley Blue fuel pump..where to mount? Mon, 28 June 2004 02:57 Go to previous message
V8 Supercars have always run 5.0 litre engines. 302 Windsors for the Fords and 305 Chevs (I think) for the Holdens.

Funny how neither of those cars are available with those engines from the showroom floor, but that's a whole other rant!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Is a 1ggte alternator the same as a 1ggze alternator
Next Topic:4age 20v help.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 00:24:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075669288635254 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.