Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Ozducati
Newcomer

June 2004
L40 gearbox swap Mon, 28 June 2004 10:28 Go to next message
G'day,
I need a fifth gear in my '81 Hilux ute (RN41). The current gearbox is an L40 with 4 on the tree. I would prefer to keep the column shift so I thought maybe an L50 gearbox would be the go. I have never seen an L50 but apparently they went behind later R18 powered commercial vehicles.
Can anyone tell me any info regarding the L50, ie will it swap straight over in place of an L40 and is it configured for a column shift?

The other option I have is what appears to be a W50 box (its got a steel case) from a '79 Celica (RA40) that is sitting in bits in my backyard. Problem with this is that the shifter sits way back on the output shaft housing and will foul the bench seat unless the seat is adjusted to its rearmost position.
Did the W50 boxes come with other shifter housings and shift rod lengths to accommodate alternative shifter positions when fitted to different model Toyotas? If so this might allow me to move the shifter forward.

This and any other info that might be relevant would be appreciated.
  Send a private message to this user    
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: L40 gearbox swap Mon, 28 June 2004 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
L50 will bolt straight up. You will need to get the extra linkage too.

The W50 did come in different shifter positions. I know of at least 2 positions - the way rearward one like yours and there is one that sticks straight up but I am not sure what you will find that in.
Ozducati
Newcomer

June 2004
Re: L40 gearbox swap Tue, 29 June 2004 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the reply.

Well....... I rang up the Toyota office at Acacia Ridge and spoke to the tech guys there. No one there has heard of an L50 gearbox. The closest they could come up with was a G52 Confused . I went to the wreckers and checked a few out but the linkage setup is completely different to my L40 Mad (thats if my box really is an L40.. I'm just going by what it says on the manufacturer's plate).

Looks like I'm stuck with the W50 box. I mounted it (No, not like that! Evil or Very Mad ) into the ute this arvo and everything fits perfectly EXCEPT that the shift is definitely too far back and will foul the seat in all but the rearmost seat position.

Gianttomato, you wrote that you know of at least two positions (I guess that would be the missionary and the ...er...?), would you know of anyone I could contact that could give me the inside info on how to alter my box to move the shifter forward?

All I'm looking for is a couple of inches Rolling Eyes
Ozducati
Newcomer

June 2004
Re: L40 gearbox swap Wed, 30 June 2004 10:45 Go to previous message
Found out the deal on the alternative shifter positions. I can buy a secondhand housing and shifter rod end that will move the shifter forward 50mm for $150. Not far enough and too much dough.
I've decided to model my own and mill it out of tooling ally on the CNC mill at work, and also mill out a new rod end to suit. Should be good for at least 80mm.
If anyone is interested in getting a special made up then give me a yell.

Thanks.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:89 supercharged corona engine in a rt104
Next Topic:sa63 alternator plug?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 03:22:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045969486236572 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.