Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
trd_celica85
Regular

September 2002
RA65 engine conversion Tue, 10 September 2002 10:10 Go to next message
Hi,

I wanted to scrap the 22R-E thats in my RA65 celica now and wanted to do a turbo engine conversion. I was tossing up between a 3T-GTE, 3S-GTE, 1G-GTE, or if insurance is too expensive a 1G-GE. I can't make a final decision. Can anyone provide me with some information or recommendations, which engine would be better suited? what else do i need to change? Which engine would be the easiest to install or the most reliable? how much can i expect to pay for engine and full installation, can anyone tell me a basic price breakdown? And any other info?

Thanks

Aden.
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA65 engine conversion Tue, 10 September 2002 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This topic has been covered a zillion times, but here it is in a nutshell:

- 3T-GTE is too hard to find in good condition, having been out of production for well over 15 years.
- 3S-GTE is the best engine out of the 3, but the hardest to install (some custom fab work involved).
- 1G-GTE is cheap, easy and well documented.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon4.gif  Re: RA65 engine conversion Tue, 10 September 2002 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3T-GTE is the cheapest conversion but is low powered, old (therefore not as reliable), and parts are getting very hard to find. Look at around $4k for the conversion if you're not doing it yourself.

1G-GTE is the best bang for the buck conversion for any RA Celica. The conversion is well documented and will cost you over $7k for the conversion if you're not doing it yourself. It produces great power and revs like buggery.

3S-GTE is the best engine there. Has great aftermarket support, is the newest one (so more reliable), is the lightest one, and produces the most power. It is an incredibly difficult conversion though and you'll be looking at over double the cost of a 1G-GTE conversion.

Do a search on these forums and the old forums and you should find a lot of info on this subject.
http://www.toymods.org.au/msgboard/search.php
http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/search.php
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: RA65 engine conversion Wed, 11 September 2002 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go steal some SA63 parts and stuff a 3SGTE in there, rebuild it with a fantastic turbo, serious head work etc. and you've got.... a bloody big mortgage Sad But yeah, both 1G and 3S are a good thing, probably have a slightly easier time legally with the 3S is my guess.
Corvid
Regular

May 2002
Re: RA65 engine conversion Wed, 11 September 2002 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark... Just wondering if i could get a breakdown on where the 7k goes?? It surely wouldnt cost anywhere near that much if you do it yourself..
trd_celica85
Regular

September 2002
Re: RA65 engine conversion Wed, 11 September 2002 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, thanks guys,

How much can i expect to pick up a decent 1g-gte for plus everything i need to make it run? i have an uncle who can help put the engine in so it won't be too expensive. Will i have any troubles with gearbox etc? i thought $7000 was a bit stiff whats all that include?

Aden.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RA65 engine conversion Wed, 11 September 2002 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$7k doesn't sound too bad really. I'm looking at spending about that much on my conversion, and that's doing all of the work myself. Engine conversions cost more than you might think!
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: RA65 engine conversion Wed, 11 September 2002 23:37 Go to previous message
If you're not doing it yourself, you're looking at (at least) $3k in labour!

Main costs are:
Engine
Gearbox
Exhaust
Custom engine mounts
Upgrading fuel lines (not really neccessary)
Moving the radiator outlet
New sway bar (unless you want to run without one)

Have a shop around for 1G-GTEs. Gearbox is fine, you just need the bellhousing, everything else just bolts up.
You need to find a front sump for the 1G-GTE.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MA61 - Too much Vibs @ 140Kph
Next Topic:Wheel, Brakes, PCD & Offset Questions
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 13:56:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046110153198242 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.