Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

My project - Completed and Revieled - NOW WITH VID Sat, 17 July 2004 12:21 Go to next message
ive just completed an engine transplant and topped it off with a suspension swap also in my AE86.

here are the specs.

Engine: CA18det with stock ECU, running a Rb20 M spec roller turbo on a stock CA manifold with an A Spec flange adaptor, RB20 Engine mounts on AE86 cross member, A Spec Gearbox mount with urathane Bush. Custom tailshaft, Uras Short shifter. Intercooling is taken care of by a Hybrid Apexi core with custom pipes, Radiator is a ST185 Celica item. S13 gearbox with Nismo 6 plate clutch.

Suspension: S13 Tein HE Winding Master Drift Spec fully adjustable body with height, preload and damper offering adjustability. AE86 HKS Camber tops, RA40 celica Tie Rods, KE70 Steeringrack, SR20 Brakes, Trust Rotors with Trust pads. Braided brake linea with R32 master cyln.

so.. whats it go like? The responce of the Rb roller is simply amazing, there is NO lag whatsoever!, I like to think of it as a high horse power 4age, it revs its tits off, is super responsive, and sounds good doing it Wink

I know this is going to piss some toyota people off, but i did this cause the whole thing worked out fairly cheap. parts were around 2K for the motor package and the susp all up. So im fairly happy with the results.

Handling? is pretty good so far, been out tonight getting a feel for the car since i havent driven it much and i have a drift day tomorrow. It is very direct, turn in is incredible, Brakes are also unfadeable for an AE86, I'll give a further report of how it goes tomorrow. But from tonights little hills strap... 3rd and 4th gear drifts are all too easy.

comments?

[Updated on: Wed, 21 July 2004 03:08]

Send a private message to this user    
Fro-Daddy
Regular

May 2004
Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sat, 17 July 2004 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how hard was it fitting the ca18 in? complete mounting adjustments? sounds pretty powerful! got pics? update us after you fully test it aye!
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sat, 17 July 2004 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CA was an easy fit, good 20cm clearance between motor and radiator, also got 10cm clearance with firewall.
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sat, 17 July 2004 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am very pissed off , why would you fit a nissan motor ? it just not a toyota Laughing You could have spent three time that to get a gze to that level of power . S13 front suspension and brakes , but why ? you could have spent shit loads on redesigned the toyota front end , lowering roll centers , correcting arm angles , adapting big brakes , never getting it correct .

Ahh thats it now Surprised And i thought you where a Toyota purest , keep the Ae86's for 4age's club etc Laughing . I and very disappointed . I would never condone that sort of conversion !! Mad spending not much to get big power with reliability . And spares parts and bolt on performance with ease Rolling Eyes .

fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sat, 17 July 2004 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MATE nice work... sounds awsome... all i want ferom you is dyno sheets and pics posted... prefer pics of drift Laughing also couple engine bay pics too...

is this the beast your gonna try and bring to oran park??? if so might try and get out there to see it
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sat, 17 July 2004 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hope to make Oran, we'll see how things pan out.

dyno sheets? not really interested in power but i'dput a guess on it being around 145-150 rwkw's atm, it just FEELS like more due to the responce of the turbo.

pics coming tomorrow Wink

Adam: damn smartarse Wink my theroy if it works, then it works, doesnt matter what the damn brand is Very Happy

AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sat, 17 July 2004 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked I was wondering what you were up to with that thing.....

Can you post up some pics of the engine bay if you get a chance? Can't wait to see it at Oran Park!
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sat, 17 July 2004 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You had me right up to the point you said CA18. then it went downhill, sorry
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sat, 17 July 2004 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate sounds unreal! Really hope you make it up to Oran park in September so I can check it out first hand.

Did you use S13 lower control arms or AE86?

With the whole toyota/bastardisation thing Smile .. I reckon if another car manufacture makes superiour parts then why not use it? Unless you are trying to restore a Toyota to factory spec then I reckon only use Toyota parts, but otherwise just use what is avaliable man.

Like with brakes especially, why would you use some heavy cast 4 spots from a Landcruiser when you can get some alloy larger 4 spots from a Nissan?

Cheers
Joel
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
improvedae86 wrote on Sat, 17 July 2004 23:03

I am very pissed off , why would you fit a nissan motor ? it just not a toyota Laughing You could have spent three time that to get a gze to that level of power . S13 front suspension and brakes , but why ? you could have spent shit loads on redesigned the toyota front end , lowering roll centers , correcting arm angles , adapting big brakes , never getting it correct .

Ahh thats it now Surprised And i thought you where a Toyota purest , keep the Ae86's for 4age's club etc Laughing . I and very disappointed . I would never condone that sort of conversion !! Mad spending not much to get big power with reliability . And spares parts and bolt on performance with ease Rolling Eyes .

QUIET YOU!

P.s I think my sarcasm detector just overloaded! Shocked

[Updated on: Sun, 18 July 2004 01:52]

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BUTCHERER BUTCHERER BUTCHERER BUTCHERER BUTCHERER BUTCHERER BUTCHERER BUTCHERER BUTCHERER BUTCHERER BUTCHERER BUTCHERER BUTCHERER BUTCHERER BUTCHERER BUTCHERER BUTCHERER BUTCHERER
Twisted Evil
what i mean to say is cool Smile
i wouldnt say the ca18 is superior to a 4agte.. just is superior for cost, which it is.. i ran into another guy the other day here in qld "the 86" doing same conversion.. for the ammount it costs its an absolute bargain, good work... pics!
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Sat, 17 July 2004 23:09

Adam: damn smartarse Wink my theroy if it works, then it works, doesnt matter what the damn brand is Very Happy

100% agree
so none be to harsh if a non toyota motor ever turns up in my engine bay Razz
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sarcasm , really Laughing of course
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im a purist so i wont ever do such a conversion in MY car
but dont get me wrong, thats not to say that this isnt FUCKIGN COOL!

man simmo you have a "mini stattsmobile" now HEHE
i wanna see this bitch DRIFT!
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drift it does....
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some pics to come in a few hours Wink
4ageeza
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Sun, 18 July 2004 17:59

drift it does....

Nod Nod Fark yes! It drifts hard as. Will be woopin at Calder this year Smile
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Simon - almost second guessed it ... thought it'd be an SR20 instead but close enuff ... Rolling Eyes

Shano's in Japan ATM and you wouldn't believe the stuff u can get over there. He's sent lots of photos - believe he's already picked up a 180SX with some fruit for $1,900 AUD and is drifting the hell out of it. There's also a Trueno coupe he was looking at for around $500 AUD as well.

Can't wait for you two to get together - it'd be awesome to see you both go parallel drifting again.

Thumbs up for the conversion - whilst I like the 4AG, I ain't got anything against a non-Toyota motor. Smile
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting steering end set-up! Would like to know why those items were used Simon.

Cheers
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive heard people have trouble with the clutch with this conversion? no troubles with that?
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
youngy: you mean the tie rods? Used them and modded them to fit, cause the KE70 ones were too short Wink

I used S13 susp arms, again modded to fit.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://users.bigpond.net.au/blayde/dscn2988.jpg
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is that your car??? if so what plates are they?????
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dead sexy man Smile
i love the camber!

the plates are jap man
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
-4.2 degrees to be exact, toomuch i know but couldnt wind them back in time for the drift day due to having to wind back the control arms.

and yeah, plates are jap Wink
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://users.bigpond.net.au/blayde/dscn2898.jpg
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://users.bigpond.net.au/blayde/dscn2873.jpg
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DAMN that looks like a nice fit... is it supposed to be sitting on an angle like that or was that done to get it to fit?
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep thats how they sit
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fair enough. cause iv seen this conversion in an ra23 and the motor sat straight/flat... either way WHO CARES... looks nice mate, job well done and good luck with it mechanical wise and DRIFT wise Very Happy
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 13:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah CA's have a weird angle of around 10 degrees or something. suits me cause it fits, and runs, and the intercooler isnt straight either so, everything is on an angle Wink
fade-e
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and the car drives at ANGLES Laughing Razz
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love the wiring lol
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 14:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes well.. thats a sore point that one

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could definately get it to look stock
SLY16V
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey mate, love the 86, i thought i might of read in another post that your getting a new paintjob, if so im just curious to know what colour your going?

cheers mate
CheeseCake_Bandit
Regular

May 2002
Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 16:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just curious, any reason why you didn't choose the SR20 over the CA18, being the SR is a more rev happy, power producing engine.

Money can't be that much of a factor considering you just put a Nissan engine in a Toyota.

Other than that, nice ride, engine looks like its been there its whole life ^_^
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CheeseCake_Bandit wrote on Mon, 19 July 2004 02:33

Just curious, any reason why you didn't choose the SR20 over the CA18, being the SR is a more rev happy, power producing engine.

Money can't be that much of a factor considering you just put a Nissan engine in a Toyota.

Other than that, nice ride, engine looks like its been there its whole life ^_^

Im also interested in why you went CA18 over SR20 ?
Or did you get one for free? heh
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well first of all, the Sr isnt as rev happy as the CA18det, the CA will rev to 8000 rpm all day with no worries.

I chose it cause it was cheap, its cheap to get another if something goes wrong.

and i just dont like SR20's! Twisted Evil
soarer21
Forums Junkie

Toymods Forum Sponsor

February 2003
Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Sun, 18 July 2004 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Having done this conversion about 5yrs ago (and stupidly agreeing to do another soon for a friend) I can point out another issue with the SR that doesnt happen with the CA.
The SR is a lot taller then the CA and requires you space the xmember down to get bonnet clearance. This of course stuffs up the lower control arm angles and affects the steering. With a normal sprinter strut you could use roll centre adjusters to bring it back in line but having used the S13 struts the arent the same design and you cannot alter the lower arm mounting point.

Looks quite neat
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Mon, 19 July 2004 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers, i cant notice any negitive handling differences, its not worse then before, just different and i need to get used to it thats all.

turn in is amazing tho!
soarer21
Forums Junkie

Toymods Forum Sponsor

February 2003
Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Mon, 19 July 2004 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, turn in is much faster because the S13 steering arms are about 25mm shorter then the standard AE86 ones. Should be able to get greater steering angle too, although tyre wear might be a bit fast but being a drifter thats not relevant anyway Smile
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Mon, 19 July 2004 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
true true, its just like having the AE86 PS arms on the non PS rack!

someone asked me what colour im painting the car, Its going to be a silver/purple car with heavy metalics running through it Wink
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Mon, 19 July 2004 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think thats the same colours as the one thats getting the ca18 that i saw the other night
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Mon, 19 July 2004 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha bring it on then!
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Mon, 19 July 2004 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soarer21 wrote on Mon, 19 July 2004 09:56

Having done this conversion about 5yrs ago (and stupidly agreeing to do another soon for a friend) I can point out another issue with the SR that doesnt happen with the CA.
The SR is a lot taller then the CA and requires you space the xmember down to get bonnet clearance. This of course stuffs up the lower control arm angles and affects the steering. With a normal sprinter strut you could use roll centre adjusters to bring it back in line but having used the S13 struts the arent the same design and you cannot alter the lower arm mounting point.

Looks quite neat

??Space the crossmember down ? Why Laughing , how far forward is the motor if that is required ? Yes that first one done it sydney was done like this i have heard . Ae86 subframe will just come apart with the torque force of the sr anyway . if you are going to all the conversion trouble you would correct all this as the vehicle will be way quicker than its intended design Sad .

Lower arm angle , the S13 struts have a lower roll centre 30-35mm depending on which series hubs are used . Different offset pivot point locations for the steering also a different arm arch axis , so if you are going to use these you might relocated the rack . As well correct the crappy arm angle to comply with the struts do you the incorrect ball joint angle , yes S13 lower control arms are angled towards the front of the car at the inner subframe 7.3', ae86 toyota arms are straight 90' axis . Another issue Sad .

Research . Lots of night on msn etc this has become clear to Simon i bet , if not a bit of brain working session Laughing

Yer does look neat there Smile , must have NOT been wired by the guy how did your old 16V motor .

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Mon, 19 July 2004 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Quote:

Ae86 subframe will just come apart with the torque force of the sr anyway . if you are going to all the conversion trouble you would correct all this as the vehicle will be way quicker than its intended design Sad .

i doubt it.. the sr20 isnt very torquey anyway
then how do u explain people with 1g gte's.. id say they would be more torquey than an sr20

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Mon, 19 July 2004 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not so, the SR is an over square motor, produces a lot of torque (esp with a few mods and a decent turbocharger)
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Mon, 19 July 2004 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Mon, 19 July 2004 09:32

not so, the SR is an over square motor, produces a lot of torque (esp with a few mods and a decent turbocharger)

Actually the SR is square, just like a 3SGE 86x86. Moot point though, your car looks cool man Smile
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Mon, 19 July 2004 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think my car had 750ish nm atw on the weekend dyno meet . Maybe a bit more than a 4a series motor . Plus adding the stress of harder suspension to the lower arm points with larger tyres etc doesn't help .

Whats a 1g gte got to do with a Nissan Engined AE86 ? conversion Rolling Eyes .

GO THE NISSAN ENGINED AE86'S , Finally another one Smile .
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Mon, 19 July 2004 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just that im doubt it would kill the sub frame Smile
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Mon, 19 July 2004 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Think i still have some pics of the areas which the spot welding opened up ,seeing day light everywhere Shocked . Remember the ae86 subframe in only three sheets of pressed steel 1.5>2.0mm , constructed level on level design spot welded together with roughly 70-80mm spacing , the engine mounts are welded directly across the top of this to just two parts of this unit . The steering rack is only mounted to one section at the back , there are a few seam welds placed randomly about . But the area it mostly comes about is around the engine mounts . So this leads me to believe this is related to the torque forces on this area . Also perhaps the altered mount angle between toyota vs nissan engine mounts 45vs60' add to the toyota design not taking the forces . Might have been somewhat higher on my car , due to not using soft nissan engine mounts too { soarer21 } might be why people have the problem with the bonnet gap } .

Whats a 1g gte got to do with a Nissan Engined AE86 ? conversion

nebuchernezzer
Regular

July 2004
Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Mon, 19 July 2004 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sweet car go the nissan engine Smile
4As are to damn expensive compared to a CA Smile
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Mon, 19 July 2004 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was just saying a 1g would probably make more torque than an sr20(guess)
and that people with 86's with 1g's(and turbo conversions) that ive seen have never said anything about that
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Mon, 19 July 2004 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Mon, 19 July 2004 11:44

and that people with 86's with 1g's(and turbo conversions) that ive seen have never said anything about that

You'll probably find that the 1G would probably make less torque in the same way an RB20 makes less torque. Smoother though.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Mon, 19 July 2004 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
was an assumption Smile
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Mon, 19 July 2004 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jag7799 wrote on Mon, 19 July 2004 13:44

I guess its all in what the car is used for to , Track , Dorifto , Drag , Mines had all this plus most of it 10.000ks before that happened where mostly track . As for never saying anything , maybe they haven't looked ? I always fully check all the sub-frames suspension etc after every event . Better to be safe than sorry Crying or Very Sad .
ShiRi
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Mon, 19 July 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Was it about as hard as a 4agze install?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Mon, 19 July 2004 07:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gze install is much easier than a ca18 install
dont need to custom as much stuff as simmo would have
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: My project - Completed and Revieled Mon, 19 July 2004 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
think again garth....
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Is this rice or what ????
Next Topic:Getting a car from Mel to Syd
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:48:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0093958377838135 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.